Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got a package in the mail today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got this puppy in the mail today.

2018 Zombucks Merk Diem

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
clever

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So, I'm toying with the idea of buying some Intel Pentium Pro CPU's off eBay for their gold content. They are considered the holy grail of PC scrapping and contain about 1 gram of gold. Right now gold is about $42/gram and you can get these for about $25-30 shipped.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
How does one go about harvesting said gold?

N/M I youtubed it and I'm not sure its worth $42 of hassle.

CannedMacabre fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 19, 2014

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I remember reading a National Geographic article on that, apparently it's a popular activity for poor children in Africa. And then they all end up with cancer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ha, I guess it's not worth it.

Been paying off some bills instead of buying some PMs but I'm getting the itch. The best way to soothe the itch is to pay for things using money and using the right change to get maximum pennies back. I keep them in the cup holder in my car all week and sort through them Fridays after work for the 95% copper ones. Once I get 50 of them I roll them up and stuff them away.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

What do you plan to do with them?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Save them for now. You can already sell them on eBay for more than face value. If we ever get rid of the penny like Canada did you would be able to melt it down or scrap it as well. ~150 copper pennies is about 1 lb. I also have boxes of bare copper and scrap wiring in my basement too so yeah...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What are your favorite websites for quick checking coin values?

I come from a family of collectors. My grandmother made millions and ran an international business doing it. (Forsyth's Antiques, closed 2001)

I'm very savvy and enjoy coin collecting and bullion as an occasional investment.

My father is easily tricked by anything coming from a computer/salesman (loving Westminster Mint and the sales rep my Dad is "friends" with...), has very little money, lives in another state, and I need to police his stuff and poke him in the right direction as politely as possible. He has a lot of depression problems that have been severe enough to require brain surgery so any avenues I have to connect with him (collecting, coins. etc.) from a distance are really really REALLY important.

Your goon advice is genuinely welcome. Help a goon help his Pep-Pep. Thank you and may the Universe smile on you. :)

Wandy the Parrot says Hi :3:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ask him if he likes numismatic coins or bullion better. If he likes numis ask him if he likes US coins or foreign coins. If he likes bullion ask him of he wants bigger bars or smaller bars and you could also ask if he prefers more generic bullion like OPM or bullion with a higher premium like Johnson Matthey.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Steer him away from Littleton and pretty much any other large national coin company that advertises in general interest magazines or newspapers (APMEX is ok). It would definitely be worthwhile to check out his local coin shop, and to see if there's a coin club in the area. A membership to the American Numismatic Association is very affordable, and comes with a subscription to a decent magazine with some fairly interesting articles. If he's a reader, the ANA membership also gives you access to an enormous library of numismatic books.

If he's on a low budget, and doesn't have an obsessive personality, you might introduce him to coin roll hunting as well. It's not my cup of tea, but plenty of collectors enjoy the thrill of the hunt and it certainly doesn't cost much. You might also buy him a couple of Whitman/Dansco coin folders and help him build a date set. Series like Jefferson nickels and Roosevelt dimes have no real keydates, so it's cheap and easy to collect the full set.

For checking coin values, the most accurate website is always going to be eBay. Sort through the sold listings and you can get up-to-date info on how much people are actually spending on coins. Other than that, online price guides are of little worth aside from learning relative values/scarcity. If I don't have my Red Book on hand, I'll check the PCGS price guide for mintage figures.

Let me know if you have any other questions as well. Always happy to help out!

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 26, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Ron Don Volante posted:

Steer him away from Littleton and pretty much any other large national coin company that advertises in general interest magazines or newspapers (APMEX is ok). It would definitely be worthwhile to check out his local coin shop, and to see if there's a coin club in the area. A membership to the American Numismatic Association is very affordable, and comes with a subscription to a decent magazine with some fairly interesting articles. If he's a reader, the ANA membership also gives you access to an enormous library of numismatic books.

If he's on a low budget, and doesn't have an obsessive personality, you might introduce him to coin roll hunting as well. It's not my cup of tea, but plenty of collectors enjoy the thrill of the hunt and it certainly doesn't cost much. You might also buy him a couple of Whitman/Dansco coin folders and help him build a date set. Series like Jefferson nickels and Roosevelt dimes have no real keydates, so it's cheap and easy to collect the full set.

For checking coin values, the most accurate website is always going to be eBay. Sort through the sold listings and you can get up-to-date info on how much people are actually spending on coins. Other than that, online price guides are of little worth aside from learning relative values/scarcity. If I don't have my Red Book on hand, I'll check the PCGS price guide for mintage figures.

Let me know if you have any other questions as well. Always happy to help out!

You rock! Those are some great suggestions. We (Me) are working on getting him reintroduced to society and whatnot. I'll look for some coin clubs in his area and follow up on that. I've got a lead on getting him a job, so it seems that things are coming together.

I just got my first peace dollar and it's so cool. I love the eagle on the back.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked these guys up this morning at my LCS for 15.5x FV. I also got another '64 on the way via USPS because I traded a user on Instagram an old Connecticut trolley token for it. Already an 8th of the way to a roll of 1964 Washington quarters.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm now a mod at https://www.bullionboards.com so swing by to share some pictures and knowledge!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Are star notes worth anything?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

they can be, what do you have?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Unless they are nice and crisp they aren't worth much more than FV.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

that's mostly true of modern material but there are exceptions

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

What is a good (single coin) to buy as an investment for around $1000. I already have a few kruger rands, so I'm looking for something that has more collector value and not gold value.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I would look into slabbed and graded pre-1933 US gold coins. Aside from their gold content they have numismatic value as well.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 5, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

a key date lincoln cent that has good eye appeal for the grade

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My star notes are a five and three ones (2006) that are pretty typical-looking. I've got six special bills that aren't worth selling and I just keep them in the back of my money clip...

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

nothing noteworthy in either of those series that will be worth much above face unless uncirculated

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got this in the mail today in a trade with an Instagram user for an old Connecticut trolley fare token I had laying around. I'll probably trade it for a '64 next time I hit up my LCS because I'm OCD like that.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got this in the mail today in a trade with an Instagram user for an old Connecticut trolley fare token I had laying around. I'll probably trade it for a '64 next time I hit up my LCS because I'm OCD like that.

You should be able to get at least an AU 64 for that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What about crisp star notes? I got a five and it's new and near-mint

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

it could be something, what's the series, what's the serial?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I inherited a bunch of these books from my grandpa when he passed away a few years ago, they are not completely filled out but based on the covers, is there anything of potential worth? I can take more pics of individual coins as required

http://imgur.com/a/0Y4bZ

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'd be interested in seeing pictures from any pre-1964 dimes and quarters books if you are trying to sell them.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

I inherited a bunch of these books from my grandpa when he passed away a few years ago, they are not completely filled out but based on the covers, is there anything of potential worth? I can take more pics of individual coins as required

http://imgur.com/a/0Y4bZ

There are keydates within each series, worth up to hundreds of dollars, as well as semi keydates. Below are the keydates:

Indian Cent: 1877, 1908 S, 1909 S

Lincoln Cent: 1909 S VDB, 1909 S, 1914 D, 1922 Plain (No D), 1931 S, 1955 Double Die

Buffalo Nickel: 1913 D Type II, 1913 S Type II, 1914 D, 1921 S, 1937 D 3-legged

Mercury Dime: 1916 D, 1921, 1921 D

Washington Quarter: 1932 D, 1932 S

Jefferson nickels and Roosevelt dimes are pretty common in every date, but it might be worthwhile to see pictures of the Indian Head cents, the Lincoln cents 1909-1940, and the Buffalo nickels.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Any recommendations for a small microwave-sized safe that is both fireproof and waterproof that I can bolt to the floor?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Any recommendations for a small microwave-sized safe that is both fireproof and waterproof that I can bolt to the floor?

Most safe recommendations I've heard say not to even bother with safes that size, especially from a security perspective. Small safes can be opened by burglars pretty easily, and they scream 'take me please'. A good hiding place is much better than a safe. If you have a roommate that you just don't want messing with your stuff, then probably anything would prevent that. Waterproofing is easy, just use some ziploc bags. Last time I looked up fire statistics (when I was thinking about getting insurance), fire rates were so low that I wouldn't spend money to minimize fire losses unless you had a ton of bullion (more than can fit in a microwave) or something that you could not afford to lose under any circumstances. The actual risk of fire is much lower than our perceived risk of fire. And bullion will often survive fires. It'll turn black, but it'll still be silver.

That's just my 2 cents.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I want to get a small crappy safe and fill it will fake bullion and leave it somewhere kind of obvious and then hide my real one good.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I spent most of my stash of star notes because my local shop said there's no demand. But what about a pair of crisp new twos that are star notes?

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I inherited these from my grandfather when he passed away ten years ago. I had forgotten about them until I found them in a box after moving this summer. They're memorial coins of the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Not sure if they're worth anything...

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I inherited these from my grandfather when he passed away ten years ago. I had forgotten about them until I found them in a box after moving this summer. They're memorial coins of the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Not sure if they're worth anything...

Each 10 dollar contains 1.44 ounces of silver, and each 5 dollar has about .72 ounces of silver. That works out to about 85 bucks worth of silver and that appears to be about what they are selling for on eBay. At the very least you have 4.3 oz of silver, with a little bit of upside considering they were are commemorative coins.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I want to get a small crappy safe and fill it will fake bullion and leave it somewhere kind of obvious and then hide my real one good.

I don't know anything about safes but I've seen this recommended by people who do in other threads.

That's said a good hiding place for the "second safe" is probably functionally as good or better without the safe as it can be made into something non obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Up to a half roll of 1964 quarters!

• Locked thread