Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
With all the new people getting into C:TGW there has to be someone in here who wants to throw down for some pbem action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm playing a PBEM with a german fellow and I'm getting owned.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Baloogan posted:

I'm playing a PBEM with a german fellow and I'm getting owned.

World wars tend to open like that. Be patient.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

uPen posted:

With all the new people getting into C:TGW there has to be someone in here who wants to throw down for some pbem action.

I mentioned earlier that I would be down, but like I said I'm no expert.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'm also down for a game. Look for me as rbale2 and I'll set the password as stairs. I'll put a game up tonight.

E: my friend brill852_slith will also be putting up a game or two with the same password.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 4, 2014

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'm also free to take on another game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Obstacle2 posted:

I mentioned earlier that I would be down, but like I said I'm no expert.

Which side do you want to play? I'm happy with either.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Any groggy games aside from Command where I can sim nuclear war ;)

BRAVO ROMEO DELTA.

Welcome to the hell of you should stop playing...but you wont. That said Koej has actually beaten it. It's a game that screams for an update and historical time period based scenarios...ie Bomber Era, Birth of SIOP...etc.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 4, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

gfanikf posted:

BRAVO ROMEO DELTA.

Welcome to the hell of you should stop playing...but you wont. That said Koej has actually beaten it. It's a game that screams for an update and historical time period based scenarios...ie Bomber Era, Birth of SIOP...etc.

Anywhere I can find this?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Anywhere I can find this?

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/bravo-romeo-delta-23y

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

uPen posted:

Which side do you want to play? I'm happy with either.

Central Powers of course.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

I feel unsatisfied and want more :negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Obstacle2 posted:

Central Powers of course.

Threw up a game, my name is upen and the password is obstacle

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I feel unsatisfied and want more :negative:

Not until we see an LP first. :colbert:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Not until we see an LP first. :colbert:

make a new one and I will :colbert:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

-wrong thread :downs:-

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Top Hats Monthly posted:

make a new one and I will :colbert:

Give me money!

Mostly just get a certain poster here to make Nuke Scenarios.

E: like these!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgRuKky0mojaHpNqvBX9PgjidgK5vfkV2

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 4, 2014

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Anyone else just pick up the command ops series off matrix? All three titles are half price. Just grabbed them all.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

Give me money!

Mostly just get a certain poster here to make Nuke Scenarios.

E: like these!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgRuKky0mojaHpNqvBX9PgjidgK5vfkV2

I've got a few vids about nuk-u-lar weapons. I try and fail to perform a modern day stealth bomber nuclear strike on china's nukes; escalation of the Ukraine Crisis results in nuclear warfare (supplemental information); then a time traveling Nimitz class supercarrier finds itself transported back in time to Dec, 7th 1941 and nukes the japanese fleet attacking pearl harbor.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How is the multiplayer stuff progressing in Command Air/Naval Ops? I have fond memories of playing Harpoon Online on loving AOL when I was like 13 years old and I have this weird itch to relive that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wrote a PBEM multiplayer mode for Command called Joint Command. I haven't heard anything firm about plans for a built-in multiplayer in command.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good grognardy historical games with unconventional settings? Basically, anything that isn't World War 1, World War 2, a fictional Cold-War-Turned-Hot scenario, or the American Civil War. Something you don't see modeled very often - the Chinese Civil War, or the Falklands War, or the Algerian revolution, or the 1871 revolution in France, or the Mexican-American war or whatever. Just anything that isn't a conflict I've already refought a billion times.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

Can anyone recommend any good grognardy historical games with unconventional settings? Basically, anything that isn't World War 1, World War 2, a fictional Cold-War-Turned-Hot scenario, or the American Civil War. Something you don't see modeled very often - the Chinese Civil War, or the Falklands War, or the Algerian revolution, or the 1871 revolution in France, or the Mexican-American war or whatever. Just anything that isn't a conflict I've already refought a billion times.

There are AGEOD games for the Spanish and Russian Civil Wars

There's a game on Steam called US and THEM that's the Cold War gone cold, using just espionage and politics

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/1848/

Has anyone played that? Could be interesting and slightly unconventional.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/1848/

Has anyone played that? Could be interesting and slightly unconventional.

Matrix released it for free (4th link down). I assume as promotion for 'For Liberty!'. I remember messing with it briefly.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mister Bates posted:

John Tiller has a Falklands game, a SCW game, a Tsushima game and a few other rarer conflicts.

There's also an old, old game called Age of Rifles that must have had at least a thousand 19th century scenarios made for it - Taiping Rebellion, Bolivar, 1871, Paris Commune, the Mexican American War, the Zulu Wars etc - if you can get it up and running in Dosbox.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

John Tiller has a Falklands game, a SCW game, a Tsushima game and a few other rarer conflicts.

There's also an old, old game called Age of Rifles that must have had at least a thousand 19th century scenarios made for it - Taiping Rebellion, Bolivar, 1871, Paris Commune, the Mexican American War, the Zulu Wars etc - if you can get it up and running in Dosbox.

Yup. There's also a Zulu War game/games floating around out there for PC - I have one on my home PC, but only played a few turns as I'd set both sides AI and it was locking up :v: . Can't find anything that sounds familiar on quick search, have to see what it's called when I get home.

Also, AoR would be *awesome* if they updated it for Windows. Even better if they prettied/pimped it up some. Best if all that, and still had the option to run original-version custom scenarios :getin:.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

V for Vegas posted:

Yowza! Norm Koger's War Game Construction Set III: Age of Rifles is still great, I've played it in Dosbox this year and it still works like a beaut. A little dated but still fun.

Then of course there is Norm Koger's TOAW (3). And Norm Koger's Distant Guns is also Russo-Japanese war of 1905, but then Storm Eagle Studios require you to install an anal dongle just to play the demo so I haven't tried it.

Other than that:

- all the freeware Steel Panthers games offer a myriad of historical or hypothetical scenarios and campaigns, from Abessinia to Afghanistan. Really, there's a ton of content here for free.
- Combat Mission Afghanistan lets you play as Soviet, DRA or Mujahedin
- there's this Hungarian made free (funded by their ministry of education, I think) game featuring the Hungarian revolution of 1848 (it was originally made by Hussar Games and released by Battlefront.com but I couldn't find a functional downlink from either):
http://www.gamershell.com/news_30302.html
- SCWW1 Breakthrough has Russian Civil War & Franco-Prussian War 1870 scenarios & pre-WW1 Balkan wars
- finally, AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege does not only model the Russian Civil War, nor that and the Russo-Polish War, nor those and the Finnish Civil War, but there is also a hypothetical 'Drang Nach Ost' campaign where German empire wins WW1 and eventually launches a 'Barbarossa' on Lenin.

There's plenty of more but their names just don't come to my mind right now.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Remember that problem I was talking about earlier, with the almost exclusive British focus on the Ottoman Front? It's gotten worse since then.

How the hell do I even deal with this kind of thing? As you can see, I'll have to fall back immediately so as to not become surrounded and lose all of those forces completely, but with what kind of strategy would I follow that up with? The Sinai was a natural bottleneck where the British could not leverage their crushing manpower superiority as much as they will now. I do not understand why the AI chose to do what it did, but I cannot deny that it is working out for them.

Gniwu fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well at least it's nice that they managed to avoid the wondorous fiasco that was IRL Gallipoli. Did you wipe out a bunch of British forces on the western front or intercept the forces as they tried to cross the channel? You can build forces directly at the suez canal so the AI is probably just building a whole blob of infantry there rather than trying anything fancy like shipping troops across the channel to France.

[e] have fun with the Persian rebellion.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

Well at least it's nice that they managed to avoid the wondorous fiasco that was IRL Gallipoli. Did you wipe out a bunch of British forces on the western front or intercept the forces as they tried to cross the channel? You can build forces directly at the suez canal so the AI is probably just building a whole blob of infantry there rather than trying anything fancy like shipping troops across the channel to France.

[e] have fun with the Persian rebellion.

Yeah, I used the High Seas Fleet very aggressively in the opening phase of the war, so I managed to sink a bunch of transports and a whooole lot of warships right away. Even now, in 1915, there are probably only 2 or 3 British divisions in France, and only one of them is directly on the frontline. So this disaster in the Middle East is happening because the AI has adapted to my strategy? I mean, from a human standpoint, that analysis and change of strategy would be absolutely correct (as is plain to see from my total inability to counter it), but can the game actually do this? I thought AI in general fares so poorly against players in such games because it can only act tactically and has no greater long-term strategic vision.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, I used the High Seas Fleet very aggressively in the opening phase of the war, so I managed to sink a bunch of transports and a whooole lot of warships right away. Even now, in 1915, there are probably only 2 or 3 British divisions in France, and only one of them is directly on the frontline. So this disaster in the Middle East is happening because the AI has adapted to my strategy? I mean, from a human standpoint, that analysis and change of strategy would be absolutely correct (as is plain to see from my total inability to counter it), but can the game actually do this? I thought AI in general fares so poorly against players in such games because it can only act tactically and has no greater long-term strategic vision.

It would appear that this AI at least either has a basic grasp of grand strategy or lucked into the ideal response.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Do the Central Powers suffer some kind of overall penalty if the Ottoman Empire were to drop out of the war? Like a hit to everyone's national morale, or something like that? I suppose it's getting to the point where I should seriously factor that into my deliberations - I don't think I can salvage their situation.

Goddammit, shackled to a corpse, etc.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh I just think the limited presence of Britan in France caused the AI to deprioritise reinforcements for it and the only other front they are involved in is the middle east so it got the lions share of their production capability. Seriously though i'm only guessing I know nothing abou thow the AI works other than playing a couple of games against it.

Looked like Serbia is about to collapse. Why not use some of those forces to reinforce the Ottomans?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The French must be pretty pissed that all those British soldiers are off grabbing new lands for the Empire instead of dying for France.

Actually, I'm kinda curious, how's the other fronts look for you in that game? Is the Western front significantly weakened by the small British presence?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

Oh I just think the limited presence of Britan in France caused the AI to deprioritise reinforcements for it and the only other front they are involved in is the middle east so it got the lions share of their production capability. Seriously though i'm only guessing I know nothing abou thow the AI works other than playing a couple of games against it.

Looked like Serbia is about to collapse. Why not use some of those forces to reinforce the Ottomans?

Yeah, I kept depleting the Serbian manpower and industrial pool by only engaging them under very favourable conditions, save for the occasional breakthrough/mini-encirclement. This took longer, but didn't tax the feeble Austro-Hungarian army as much. Serbia is indeed in mid-collapse, but I think I'll need all of those troops to man the Italian Front when that opens up in another ten turns or so. I don't know how bad the fighting there will end up being, as I've never played this far.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Tomn posted:

The French must be pretty pissed that all those British soldiers are off grabbing new lands for the Empire instead of dying for France.

Actually, I'm kinda curious, how's the other fronts look for you in that game? Is the Western front significantly weakened by the small British presence?

The French must be pretty pissed in general, seeing as they are (very) slowly being pushed back and just lost what must be their only battlefleet. They're pretty tenacious defenders, though, I have to give them that.

Is there a way to directly embed Steam screenshots on Something Awful? I tried that for the Mideast one, but it didn't work, so I had to switch to imgur.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Italy sucks at well, everything, the only real danger is if the French and British rail enough forces down to give you a headache.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

Italy sucks at well, everything, the only real danger is if the French and British rail enough forces down to give you a headache.

Oh, so they're the Entente version of Turkey? :downs:

That sounds great, turnabout being fair play and all that. All the more reason not to divert any troops from that upcoming front, though. I need to cut off Italy from France as soon as possible. If I'm lucky, they'll then try to ship troops over. Or maybe not - This AI seems to be pretty on to my naval tricks!

Here are screenshots of the other fronts. The Russian one isn't as bad as it looks, they just have a lot of stuff, but I'm advancing fairly steadily over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baloogan posted:

I've got a few vids about nuk-u-lar weapons. I try and fail to perform a modern day stealth bomber nuclear strike on china's nukes; escalation of the Ukraine Crisis results in nuclear warfare (supplemental information); then a time traveling Nimitz class supercarrier finds itself transported back in time to Dec, 7th 1941 and nukes the japanese fleet attacking pearl harbor.

Yep I loved the attempt to bomb China.

Actually there are two GREAT scenarios a poster at Matrix forums developed one is a SIOP based one and the other is the defense of the PNW and Canada area with 62 era planes and weapons including the Genie. It's one of the most white knuckled scenarios I've ever played.