Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just heat up some oil and throw your cold pulled pork in there. Fry it up into carnitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Chemmy posted:

Just heat up some oil and throw your cold pulled pork in there. Fry it up into carnitas.

Fantastic idea!

I'm curious how the smoker would do with Carnitas. I was planning on making a batch later this week. Maybe put the carnitas spices in a rub?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Chemmy posted:

I was going to say this too, putting some of the left over pork into a screaming hot pan with some of the juice, cover that with some cheese, let it all melt in and toss that sucker on a Kaiser. That's good poo poo.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

For the carnitas might I suggest a nice squeeze of citrus, a shot of tequila (one for the meat, one for the cook, repeat as needed) and maybe some good tomatillo sauce. The acidity helps cut any lingering greasiness*. Some grilled or caramelized onions sweeten the deal. Pan toast your flour tortillas first if you can't get good home made ones locally.

*But that tasty porky-fat goodness is still there!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrUnderbridge posted:

For the carnitas might I suggest a nice squeeze of citrus, a shot of tequila (one for the meat, one for the cook, repeat as needed) and maybe some good tomatillo sauce. The acidity helps cut any lingering greasiness*. Some grilled or caramelized onions sweeten the deal. Pan toast your flour tortillas first if you can't get good home made ones locally.

*But that tasty porky-fat goodness is still there!

This checks out.

Any wood advice? I'd think you'd want to go for a pretty neutral smoke?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MrUnderbridge posted:

flour tortillas

Nope.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Good point. Corn is the only way to go for proper tacos. I'll sometimes do flour but that's more of a guilty pleasure and I always fry them first.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

McSpankWich posted:

I was going to say this too, putting some of the left over pork into a screaming hot pan with some of the juice, cover that with some cheese, let it all melt in and toss that sucker on a Kaiser. That's good poo poo.

You can make a killer hash with leftover pulled pork as well. I've also made a "pizza" as well: fried tortilla with pulled pork, cheese, bbq sauce, jalapenos.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pulled Pork nachos = best nachos

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

vulturesrow posted:

You can make a killer hash with leftover pulled pork as well. I've also made a "pizza" as well: fried tortilla with pulled pork, cheese, bbq sauce, jalapenos.

I make actual pizzas and Stromboli with pulled pork. There is so much you can do with pulled pork. That is why if I have room I will throw a pork butt or two in the smoker with whatever else I am doing. I cook it, shred it and portion it into 6 or 10 ounce packages. I put it in quart sized ziplock freezer bags with as much air out as I can and then put those bags inside a gallon freezer bag.

If I want to make tacos quickly I can take a 6oz bag and warm it up and make 3-4 tacos. If I am doing something bigger like a Stromboli or sandwich I grab a 10oz bag. I have about 15 different sauces available at most times so I can change the flavor up. Some of my non-traditional favorites are Peanut Sauce & Korean Bolgogi.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Made pulled pork empanadas once with a few different types of wrappers, fillings, cheeses, and sauces. Those were awesome as well.

Slow Smoking Meat: 1,001 ways to use left over pulled pork

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Empanadas just basically own in general I've found.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Been having a lot of fun with my super basic UDS lately. Cooked some ribs on the weekend:

Maple smoke!

I meant to get a shot of the deep pink smoke ring, but they got eaten too quickly.
I've slowly been tweaking my rub over the last couple of seasons and I think I'm getting close to where I want it. It's based off of a basic BBQ rub I got out of a Steve Raichlen book, but I've adjusted the proportions more to my liking. A little extra cayenne and a bit more brown sugar is paying off.
I used to get crazy with the sauce towards the end, but I've stopped doing that as I feel like it just drowns out the flavours I've worked hard to create. I do use a thin mop towards the end, and I'll put sauce on the table for those who want it, but the ribs are coming out so moist and tasty these days that I don't really want to mess around with them too much.

Had so much fun with it on Saturday that I decided to play some more on Sunday:

OMFG so good

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
For my daughters birthday I got a 10 lb brisket and was planning on removing the point to turn into pastrami and smoke the flat. I decided to just smoke the whole thing and turn something else into pastrami. Due to the high price and size of brisket I decided to get some chuck. I picked up what was labeled chuck tender roast which is also known as mock tender roast since it looked less fatty than normal chuck roast, didn't want ribbons of fat in the pastrami. It's pickling in some brine at the moment.

Anyone have experience smoking this cut of beef? Should I go to 150 @ 200 then remove to steam the following day. Or could I take it up to 180-190 without it getting dried out?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
So, my dad got a smoker years ago for Christmas and never opened it. He told me it was an electric and I could have it if I wanted it. Dropped it off today and lo and behold it's a charcoal smoker... Looks like my workload just increased tenfold, but that doesn't mean I'm not getting a pork butt and a bag of lump charcoal this weekend and trying it out. How badly does the fact that it will be 100+ all weekend hurt my ability to produce decent BBQ?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

So, my dad got a smoker years ago for Christmas and never opened it. He told me it was an electric and I could have it if I wanted it. Dropped it off today and lo and behold it's a charcoal smoker... Looks like my workload just increased tenfold, but that doesn't mean I'm not getting a pork butt and a bag of lump charcoal this weekend and trying it out. How badly does the fact that it will be 100+ all weekend hurt my ability to produce decent BBQ?

In the heat of summer I sometimes have trouble keeping my WSM at 225. It helps to keep it in the shade, fill the water pan with the coldest water you can find, and use the minion method so temperature is more regulated.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

That's for a WSM but I'm sure there's a similar method for whatever you got.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

One of the side benefits of installing security cameras--smoker monitoring :)

Got half a pork shoulder in there. Tried brining it overnight for the first time, interested to see how that goes.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

revmoo posted:

One of the side benefits of installing security cameras--smoker monitoring :)

Got half a pork shoulder in there. Tried brining it overnight for the first time, interested to see how that goes.

It would be extra amazing if you could zoom in on the thermometer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was messing around with that idea the other day. Unfortunately it's just not possible with the thermometer I have. I'm about to order a wireless thermometer though. Found a meat+grill Maverick remote thermometer for 35 bucks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Alright goons!
I've been following this thread for a while now, and I was inspired to go out and buy a Brinkmann Smoke and Grill.

My question is: What do I cook for my first meal? I'm serving up to 5 people on saturday, but I don't mind leftovers. Obviously, I'm looking for the most foolproof baby-steps hunk of meat possible. Also, what do I use for charcoal? Can I just use that bag of wood charcoal they sell at the store, to start?

Thanks!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I was messing around with that idea the other day. Unfortunately it's just not possible with the thermometer I have. I'm about to order a wireless thermometer though. Found a meat+grill Maverick remote thermometer for 35 bucks.

A wireless thermometer will change your life. I use mine year-round, it's great when monitoring roasts in the oven.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Think I'm gonna pop my smoking cherry with a pork butt, and standard mass produced wood charcoal(or whatever it's called).
Anything a first timer should watch out for? I know that I have to watch that water pan and fill it every few hours, any other newbie mistakes I can avoid?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Drunk Nerds posted:

Think I'm gonna pop my smoking cherry with a pork butt, and standard mass produced wood charcoal(or whatever it's called).
Anything a first timer should watch out for? I know that I have to watch that water pan and fill it every few hours, any other newbie mistakes I can avoid?

Fill the water pan with play sand. It's just a big heat sink.

Pork butt is a good choice for a first timer.

http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/pork_butt/index.html

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Impulse purchase of marked-down brisket and turkey drumsticks should make for a good weekend.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I like to use a mixture of apple and cherry wood for pork butt.

Budget like 3 more hours then you think you will need. If it gets done early, you can set it in your oven covered in foil at 170 degrees, or simply wrap it in foil, throw it in a color, and cover it with a towel until you're ready to eat.

If you like mustard, try this sauce. I don't eat pulled pork without it anymore. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html (note: buy some kind of bottled tomato based sauce for whoever doesn't like mustard. There's always one person)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help!

PhotoKirk posted:

Fill the water pan with play sand. It's just a big heat sink.

Is this for real?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just tested out simmering a Foodsaver package of yesterday's pulled pork. Much, MUCH better than microwaving.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks for the help!

Is this for real?

Yes. Personally I bought a big rear end terra-cotta saucer from home depot and I wrap it in foil to keep it from getting too nasty.

revmoo posted:

Just tested out simmering a Foodsaver package of yesterday's pulled pork. Much, MUCH better than microwaving.

Yup. It'll keep for ages in the freezer. I just used some PP from 14 months ago and it was perfect.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks for the help!

Is this for real?

Yes. The water pan helps smooth out the temperature swings. Fill it with sand and cover it with foil and you don't have to keep refilling it during the cook. I started out with an ECB years ago, before I got my Gator Pit.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

Yes. The water pan helps smooth out the temperature swings. Fill it with sand and cover it with foil and you don't have to keep refilling it during the cook. I started out with an ECB years ago, before I got my Gator Pit.

Dayum, thanks. Where do i buy this sand?

How do i add stuff to the water pan, then? Like this recipe says add a cup of red wine... Marinade, maybe?

Also, im reading from multiple sources that with the BCG I should drill holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan. I wanted to check here first, although I just got a new drill so it's hard to resist.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I use an electric flower pot smoker and I'm cooking for a ton of people this weekend so I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my output. I figure I could fit two nice size pork shoulders in my smoker if I stand them up somehow. I usually smoke fat cap up so I don't really know how smoking sideways might affect it. Has anyone smoked a shoulder standing up before? If not, does anyone have any ideas how to prepare enough smoky meat for 25+ people with a small amount of cooking space?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Drunk Nerds posted:

How do i add stuff to the water pan, then? Like this recipe says add a cup of red wine... Marinade, maybe?

Also, im reading from multiple sources that with the BCG I should drill holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan. I wanted to check here first, although I just got a new drill so it's hard to resist.

Adding stuff to the water pan will not flavour your meat. The water is there just to be a heat sink. Flavour will come from your marinade, rub, or smoke.

Drilling holes in your pans is not a good idea in my humble opinion. It introduces a place where where the enamel is chipped and the bare metal can lead to rusting. If you do it right and seal the bare metal it might be OK, but why take a chance?

I've learned that on the WSM that if you flip the middle section when storing it really helps keep rainwater out of the pan.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Drunk Nerds posted:

You can get play sand at Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware, etc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
You can use anything that has a decent heat capacity. Clay/terracotta, sand, brick, whatever (I use a planter bottom as seen above in Canuckistan's post). There is a lot of back and forth about whether water actually does anything as far as moisture. I am personally of the belief it does nothing to enhance the final product.

Here is some chicken I did for dinner tonight.

Had no time to brine so cut the spine out and laid it flat.
Rubbed it down with a pretty basic spice blend (Kosher salt, Cheyenne pepper, garlic powder, oregano) and some olive oil to make it stick.
Threw on the top rack of the WSM. No water pan (you want that furious heat directly on the chicken). Started out running hot. Basted with olive oil halfway through, foiled the wings and dropped the heat for the second half. Took about two hours but wasn't watching the clock.
Thermometer hit 185F when I pulled it off.

It was glorious. The meat was out of this world, but the skin could have used a little time on the grill to crisp up before serving.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2014

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
This is from our first BBQ class:

Next class is Oct. 11.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Alright. I got a ceramic planter dish and some sand. Tonight im going to throw on this 1b pork butt i've had marinating for 30 hours.
Anyone slse want to weigh in on whether I should do the popular modification of drilling holes in the bottom of my charcoal pan for my brinkmann smoke and grill?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Smoking an 18Lb brisket today for some folks coming by for dinner.

8 hours in and it's looking great, I didn't get to brine this one so I'm spraying it down hourly or so with some beef stock to at least keep the outside from getting too hard or burnt. Expecting 12-14 hours until I'm happy with it. I'm sure the wife will be yelling at me to take it off sooner... You just can't rush a brisket!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Zaepho posted:

Smoking an 18Lb brisket today for some folks coming by for dinner.

8 hours in and it's looking great, I didn't get to brine this one so I'm spraying it down hourly or so with some beef stock to at least keep the outside from getting too hard or burnt. Expecting 12-14 hours until I'm happy with it. I'm sure the wife will be yelling at me to take it off sooner... You just can't rush a brisket!

If you're worried about the bark being too dry, just wrap it in foil when it hits 160 internal.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay after spending three whole beers researchin the internet, i found two mods for the brinkmann smoke n' grill thst seem overwhelmingly endorsed:
1. Drilling holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan for airflow. I appreciate the goon who posted their concern over enamel exposure, i will cure the grill for a few hours before tossing on the butt.

2. Putting the legs on the outside, not the inside. Then putting the charcoal pan up on some bricks. That way i can just lift the whole gril off the pan to adjust the charcoal

I also did the goon suggestion of ceramic planter bottom with sand, covered with foil in lieu of a water pan. I'll update you, hopefully with pics, after Im done trying to smoke this 10 lb butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hey, do I have to change out the sand? I'm smoking this butt for 10-18 hours.