Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting because this is what three hours looks like:

Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Building HG Gogg as my first Gunpla, going fine until I started doing the claws.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h08/h08_i.htm

Trying to hold the nails in place and close the outer shell pieces at the same time wasn't happening. I can fit them in afterwards but now the nails just move about willy nilly. Are those supposed to be glued?

also how spoilery is the gundam irc?

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 5, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

madpanda posted:

Building HG Gogg as my first Gunpla, going fine until I started doing the claws.

http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h08/h08_i.htm

Trying to hold the nails in place and close the outer shell pieces at the same time wasn't happening. I can fit them in afterwards but now the nails just move about willy nilly. Are those supposed to be glued?

If it was me doing it, I'd set the bottom piece on something, put all the nails in, and then put on the outer shell.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need some extra cash this month so im selling off some of my anime stuff including TONS of GUNDAM models. I like you guys so ill give you first crack at it. 99% of it is unopened NIB.
Prices are 10% off the lowest price you can find on amazon including shipping
I'm shipping from 91101 California. If you wanna do local pickup I can give some pretty good discounts
CONUS only please.

http://myfigurecollection.net/profi...gion_free=0&p=2

PM for now, ill make a thread in a bit

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If it weren't for the fact I'm going cold turkey I'd be all over the MG Build Strike and mkII. Oh well, I'll go see if any of my friends are interested.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'd go for it, but i'm paranoid about customs screwing me over again like they do almost every time I buy something from the US.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the thread is up, have at it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655625

2 gundam sold already, get in on this while you can.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 5, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I finished the RG RX-78-2. I'm sticking to HGUC poo poo for a while. gently caress me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I really want to see you have a go at an MG like the FA Unicorn, Ex-S, or Sazabi now. If you thought the RG Gundam was finicky and time consuming, I'm curious about you reaction to those kits.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks for the replies about the 1/100 Zaku I, guys! I thought I'd share another older kit I have as well: the 1/100-scale Nu Gundam from 1988.

Posing next to my 1/35 Ingram!

With 1/144 Zeta Gundam.

Because I am either curious about older Gunpla or just fond of inflicting undue pain on myself, I decided to buy this kit about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have an MG Nu to compare it to, but this kit is much better than the 1/100 Zaku I for many reasons:

-Snap fit! Probably among the first batch of Gunpla to get snap-fitting parts.
-Color separation on the parts tree! Known as "System Injection," this was also among the first of the kits that had differently-colored parts on the same tree, rather than having an entire monocolor tree and leaving the builder to paint in the details.
-Die-cast parts! Much like the original MG Nu, the 1988 kit has die-cast parts to help support it with the weight of the Funnels (written as "Fin Fannels" on the box). There are die-cast parts for the shoulder joints, the groin (including the pegs to which the leg sockets connect), and the entire lower legs (seen below):

(Also-- in comparison to the MG Alex, the Nu's legs go almost to the top of Alex's chest!)

--

Unfortunately, much like the 80's Zaku I, the Nu suffers from uneven parts fitment, which requires sanding down before priming/painting. Articulation is also an issue (mainly left-right or up-down movements on all joints, but never both), as are the proportions (though they're much less cartoony than the Zaku I). Finally, I actually snapped the peg that connects the waist to the torso at least once-- mainly due to the weight of the Fin Funnels and the pressure the combined weight puts on the kit (that's why they're not on the Nu in most of those older pictures). A bit of JB Weld, a spare beam saber handle, and about a day fixed it up-- I can now pose the Nu with the Funnels without worry of breaking the peg!

Even with that, it's not really all that bad for a "flagship" Gunpla from the 80's. It makes a great display piece that requires minimal work (read: painting) if you're willing to deal with the uneven seam lines. As for me, I glued, sanded, and hand-painted and clear-coated this kit. With some extra decals from a set that Bandai released for the MG Nu and Sazabi added to the Nu, I think it turned out nice.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

To be fair to the Nu Gundam, that thing's loving monstrous in size compared to One Year War era suits.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks to whoever recommended USPS shipping for gundams. Its way cheaper than I thought and its making my sale nearly painless.

Still plenty of stuff left, but its going fast

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

the thread is up, have at it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655625

2 gundam sold already, get in on this while you can.

Ugh, you've got so many MG Unicorn kits, and I've got so many ideas for custom repaints. I should really talk myself out of dropping so much cash on Japanese plastic when MG Hi-Nu HWS and RE100 Nightingale are coming out, but I can't help myself.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
My first ever attempt at scratch building something with pla-plate:

Still needs sanding, but i'm happy with the wingspan and the overall shape.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I finished the RG RX-78-2. I'm sticking to HGUC poo poo for a while. gently caress me.
This was me after the GP02. If I want an inner frame I'll go MG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S-Alpha posted:

I really want to see you have a go at an MG like the FA Unicorn, Ex-S, or Sazabi now. If you thought the RG Gundam was finicky and time consuming, I'm curious about you reaction to those kits.

I'm finding a gun already.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Crossbone-Gundam-Model/dp/B00IP5QQ9Q/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=099A71PQ3BMD6AFKKT5C

Ok guys, how do I wear this on my head, so I can enjoy a safe bike ride?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Glue it to a helmet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Picture update time!

Still needs another coat of paint, but i'm very happy with how the Scramble Dash wings have turned out.

Also got my MC Xi Gundoom today and have started building that. Trying a new trick of panel lining the dark blue pieces with light blue paint, which has given me a satisfactory result.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TaurusOxford posted:

Picture update time!

Still needs another coat of paint, but i'm very happy with how the Scramble Dash wings have turned out.

Also got my MC Xi Gundoom today and have started building that. Trying a new trick of panel lining the dark blue pieces with light blue paint, which has given me a satisfactory result.

Those panel lines look awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
When doing custom plating work with styrene sheets, whats the best way to create exact replications of the parts you're making. Symmetry is everything, and I can't figure out how to file/cut two identical bits.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

slightpirate posted:

When doing custom plating work with styrene sheets, whats the best way to create exact replications of the parts you're making. Symmetry is everything, and I can't figure out how to file/cut two identical bits.

Cut out one, then use it as a template to make the second one?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Measure everything, use the precisest of tools, have really steady hands, and most importantly accept that you're not going to get something perfect so it's okay if you're off by a tiny bit.

Alternatively, make it once than make a mold so you can recast it in resin.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Your options are pretty much as stated, learn to cut two identical parts or learn to cast. When you see a in-progress prototype with one arm and one leg, once they finalize the look, that's when they start modelling the other side. Or invert their 3D model and print the other side.

For things without bi-directional symmetry (mirrored parts like insteps on feet) you just have to take your time when you make the matching piece.

I guess if you're super hardcore you can construct a home-made pantograph. That would allow you to copy exactly and also invert when needed. Still won't help you cut a straight line though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

peeNamaste posted:

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Here it is: A completed MC Xi Gundoom - http://imgur.com/dPlgotc,Siioi6b,waIvZpE,LFluzHP,8tqiKzy

Overall, a great build. Final assembly was a bit awkward but that's to be expected with this much bulk. Another great kit from MC.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really like the hex barriers. If Hathaway's Flash wasn't in such a weird place I'd really wish it was animated.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

They would look sweet in a diorama, but I think the hex barriers look kinda awkward standalone.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just got back into building these things, and I haven't lined anything.

One of the GMs is an older one I still had, but I have no idea where its side skirts are. I need to do panel lining on all of these, and maybe scuff up the GMs.

The Zaku amazing is a lot plainer than I thought it would be, but it was a fun build. It really wants an action stand though and isn't as flexible as I'd hope. GMs are a breeze to build though, they're great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The Zaku amazing is a lot plainer than I thought it would be, but it was a fun build. It really wants an action stand though and isn't as flexible as I'd hope. GMs are a breeze to build though, they're great.

Yeah, it really needs to sit on an Action Base to look good. Did you have trouble with yours with getting the rifle to sit in a decent pose like I did?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Speaking about posing, thie guy can pose: http://lightning-ace.blogspot.com.au/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got my Phone talking to my PC again, so have some photos of my recent kits.

First up is the Gouf R35. The standard shields are nice, but I've been needing something to do with my System Weapon 005 ones for ages and they look nicer because they're a shade larger.

Plus who needs a whip when you've got big-rear end shield claws? :v:

The slot on the back is square (why? :psyduck:), but it's at just the right size to hold all the standard booster packs. The lower part of the thruster pack's also removeable, but the thruster arms are prone to falling off because there's no inner piece to keep them in place. They're just sitting in a groove.

Next up; The Zssa :orks101:. It doesn't pose well, but that's because it only needs one. Also the arms will pop out if you try to tilt the shoulders forward or back because of how thick they are. The Booster has a hole for an action base tab, so you place it looking like it's flying beside the Zssa itself.

It's also quite long thanks to the tail on the Booster, so you'll need a fairly large surface area for it.

Finally, my Zaku Amazing needed a better rifle because I just couldn't get the drat thing sitting properly. So I picked up the System Weapon 004. That rifle's a full head longer than the Zaku is tall, incidentally. The swords from it are going to go on a GM Sniper K9 (Been looking for something as a general "kibble-posing" kit for a while because I've picked up a bunch of spare weapons and things from Boosters and whatnot)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 9, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My birthday's just around the corner, and my brother ended up getting me a HGBF Exia Dark Matter. Is there anything I should be aware of before diving in to work on it?

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find translations for those little "One Point Technic" boxes in all the HGBF instructions?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's touched up a bit, but it's still just the original HG00 Exia.

Which wasn't terrible or anything, but it had some big stickers and some stability issues. Or at least the HG RII did.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Can anyone say how gginfinite handles preorders? Do they just ship your stuff at once when it's ready? Waiting on my Amazing Exia, but it seems like it's getting held up so my Fenice Rinascita can come, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Technically yes, but they get their shipments in like a week or two late and have a ton of orders, so if you use them prepare to wait for a super long time. You're better off going with Gentei Kits if you're looking for gunpla.

EDIT: Oh, you want a regular kit. Go with HLJ.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I need some criticism/advice goons. For some reason I decided to start up a blog to show off my Gunpla/figure collection(and maybe more, who knows), and I figured I would need some half-decent backdrop to use for photography, so I made this:

It's a carboard box with black fabric stapled onto it. After trying several different lighting angles, this is the best I could get for a shot:

Now i'm hoping when I get the phone tripod the blurriness will be less noticeable, but how's the lighting itself? Good? Bad? Is there a more efficient design for the backdrop? Thanks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The staples are super noticeable maybe try gluing on the black stuff?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

BlitzBlast posted:

Technically yes, but they get their shipments in like a week or two late and have a ton of orders, so if you use them prepare to wait for a super long time. You're better off going with Gentei Kits if you're looking for gunpla.

EDIT: Oh, you want a regular kit. Go with HLJ.

This order is from months ago when I just started reading the thread and honestly didn't know HLJ shipped to North America due to its placement in the OP, sadly. :shobon:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TaurusOxford posted:

So I need some criticism/advice goons. For some reason I decided to start up a blog to show off my Gunpla/figure collection(and maybe more, who knows), and I figured I would need some half-decent backdrop to use for photography, so I made this:
Now i'm hoping when I get the phone tripod the blurriness will be less noticeable, but how's the lighting itself? Good? Bad? Is there a more efficient design for the backdrop? Thanks.

If you don't mind spending money, light boxes can be pretty cheap and effective. But if you want my DIY suggestion, I would make a lightbox out of black or white foamcore board.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Gaius Marius posted:

The staples are super noticeable maybe try gluing on the black stuff?

Or double sided tape.

• Locked thread