Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

alpha_destroy posted:

Okay fine; who real, not a conniving rear end in a top hat, and in Shu?
Are you suggesting that Guan Yu DIDN'T have an anime schoolgirl daughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
re: Ma Dai

Ma Dai was a rather minor character in history, sadly. Whether or not this is due to Shu's notoriously sloppy record keeping is open to debate. Anyway, he inherited his cousin's command and titles and was treated well by Liu Bei. He is only recorded as being present for Zhuge Liang's final campaign, the Wuzhang Plains battle. Basically, Zhuge Liang died, and apparently left instructions to his buddy Yang Yi, who was a notorious dickhole. This final commanded instructed the Shu army to withdraw, and to kill Wei Yan if he attempted to continue the campaign. As Wei Yan was the second highest ranking general present after Zhuge himself, the law stated he'd inherit command of army in the event of the commander's death.

Yang Yi conspired with Jiang Wei and others and began retreating without Wei Yan's consent. Wei Yan gathered his men and tried to work out what was going on, but was attacked and driven off. Wei Yan went to burn the plank bridges that connected Hanzhong to the northern plains to prevent the Shu army retreating. (He presumed he had a massive mutiny on his hands) Yang Yi sent Ma Dai with an army to kill Wei Yan, which he did.

And that's it for Ma Dai!

re: Shudouches

Liu Shan wasn't much of a dick, just VERY hands off and relied on regents and ministers to run the country for him. He at least had sense to surrender when he did, when someone like Jiang Wei would have fought to the end and bled Shu dry.

Pang Tong seemed like a decent person and skilled commander, but a pretty awful civil servant.

Wei Yan was Shu's best general and quite a well liked soldier, but Zhuge Liang held a grudge against him and ensured that despite his very high rank never got to command the army and never listened to his plans to fight Wei.

Zhao Yun was noted to be honourable and a man of integrity. He just...didn't do much.

Shu had plenty of good hearted, honourable and just men working for it. It's just most of them aren't playable in Dynasty Warriors. The likes of Wang Ping, Liao Hua, Li Yan, Zhang Yi, Jiang Wan, Zhang Ni, Fei Yi, Jian Yong, Sun Qian, Ma Zhong and probably a whole bunch others were all talented in their own rights and generally had very good character compared to some more famous figures historically.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you suggesting that Guan Yu DIDN'T have an anime schoolgirl daughter?

gently caress, you got me there.

How popular is Yinping? This reminds me of my biggest gripe with DW 8. Where are Xing Cai's loving pants?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's one issue but the bigger one is it just sometimes ignoring my inputs for musou attacks, which is gonna get me killed at higher difficulty levels. Also sometimes the block button gets stuck down, so to speak. I've never run into (software) problems like this in a game before.

edit: Oh yeah, and the dead zone on the analog sticks is huge, you have to mash it all the way over or else your character doesn't move.

I periodically have a 'ignoring input' issue on the PSVita DW8C. Musou, attacks, get on the loving horse, get blocking... sometimes the buttons just do nothing for a bit. It's been better since the recent patch, but I guess I just accepted it for the most part, despite how annoying it is. I wonder if it has any relation to the 360 controller issue.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

alpha_destroy posted:

How popular is Yinping? This reminds me of my biggest gripe with DW 8. Where are Xing Cai's loving pants?

Yinping is #1 waifu and #3 sibling according to the (pre-XL) popularity poll. If the Koei wiki isn't lying, the tabs go sibling, friend, boss, boyfriend, girlfriend.

All Xingcai had to do was connect the front and the back together but no, it's fluttering rear end flap whenever I'm riding a horse.

EDIT: Oh, here's the post-XL overall poll. Yinping is pretty popular.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 4, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

I periodically have a 'ignoring input' issue on the PSVita DW8C. Musou, attacks, get on the loving horse, get blocking... sometimes the buttons just do nothing for a bit. It's been better since the recent patch, but I guess I just accepted it for the most part, despite how annoying it is. I wonder if it has any relation to the 360 controller issue.
Do you find yourself needing to mash the musou button, or the two sticks to activate rage mode, four or five times before it activates? I mean, I'm just on normal mode now so that kind of problem won't usually kill me, but when I get into hard mode and beyond that's gonna be the end of me.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Xingcai gets panty shots even when wandering around camp! It's strange as in previous games she dressed somewhat sensibly, it's like she could only afford upper body armour.

And yeah Yinping is obscenely popular with the Japanese fanbase in particular. I think she might have even overtaken Yuanji in terms of popularity.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Okay fine; who real, not a conniving rear end in a top hat, and in Shu?

Edit: On a side, I downloaded the Japanese language pack, but then I played as Sima Yi all day. The good news is his constant laughing is just as charming in Japanese.

On this note, did they replace Sima Yi's jp voice actor in 8xl or did he just not have any new lines?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

straight jerkers posted:

On this note, did they replace Sima Yi's jp voice actor in 8xl or did he just not have any new lines?

They didn't replace him for 8XL so he doesn't get any new dialogue.
He's got a new VA for Empires, the same guy who does Sima Shi.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Are we talking the old one, who died, or the replacement?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
So I took a break from this thread and came back 800 posts later, expecting it to be entirely about Hyrule Warriors.

You guys have done me proud by still talking about Rt3K.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Gimnbo posted:

Yinping is #1 waifu and #3 sibling according to the (pre-XL) popularity poll. If the Koei wiki isn't lying, the tabs go sibling, friend, boss, boyfriend, girlfriend.

All Xingcai had to do was connect the front and the back together but no, it's fluttering rear end flap whenever I'm riding a horse.

EDIT: Oh, here's the post-XL overall poll. Yinping is pretty popular.

No Lu Bu? Bullshit.

Am I the only person that grinds out skirmish entirely on horseback? I find it really seriously saves time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Wait so since we're still kinda on DW8-PC, does the game finally support online co-op or am I still SOL there?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it doesn't and i don't think it ever will. it's not even in the dlc list

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

BobFromMarketing posted:

No Lu Bu? Bullshit.

Lu Bu's powerful of course, but a lot of people match him and are actually nice personalities. 'Guan Longstocking' one of them, thanks to her self-buff.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Bloodly posted:

Lu Bu's powerful of course, but a lot of people match him and are actually nice personalities. 'Guan Longstocking' one of them, thanks to her self-buff.

I'm killing thousands of people not taking him out on a date. Personality isn't really a factor for me.

Also his muosuw is so good for room clearing. And something about his face grab and smash is just so satisfying

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well it's favorite character overall, not just gameplay. Lu Bu being a gigantic brutish rear end in a top hat is a negative factor for some it seems (he's at 21st in the overall poll). I mean Sima Yi is also a gigantic rear end in a top hat in the game but he has the laugh everyone loves and is more or less the overall "winner" of the era. Zhong Hui has an ego so big it can hold swords up but he's also a stereotypical anime prettyboy.

Has there ever been a poll for western audiences? I'd imagine Lu Bu would be pretty high up there and that Xiahou Dun would beat Zhao Yun.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hey, Brony Hunter, do you know enough about Japanese history to do a compare-and-contrast of Cao Cao and Nobunaga, both in their lives and in their legacies? It seems like they've been treated similarly by history and fiction, but I could be wrong.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

FredMSloniker posted:

Hey, Brony Hunter, do you know enough about Japanese history to do a compare-and-contrast of Cao Cao and Nobunaga, both in their lives and in their legacies? It seems like they've been treated similarly by history and fiction, but I could be wrong.

No, sorry. I know stuff about the Sengoku era, but sadly not enough to make a fair judgement. Like with the Three Kingdoms, there is a lot of confusion over facts and fiction and with my fairly limited knowledge it's not a call I can make.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

wow oops

I like dynasty warriors

dirty nub fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 5, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wrong thread, however slaughtering grunts IS thematically appropriate so thumbs up regardless

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Wrong thread goon sir

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Are there stages that are more commonly played, or is the DW8 XL community semi-kaput? (I don't have the original)

If it matters I haven't gotten out of the first part of ambition mode.

EDIT: PS3.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

So yeah, that's a brief summary of the life and times of Ma Chao. He's hardly the paragon of justice and virtue the games portray him as...
The funny thing is, I distinctly remember the "paragon of justice and virtue" bit as exclusive to the games -- in contrast, a bunch of what you described about Ma Chao after his initial revanchist/revenge campaign petered out is in the novel, if obviously brushed over by all adaptations and severely generalized to de facto meaninglessness in DW beyond Wang Yi's story.

Brony Hunter posted:

He at least had sense to surrender when he did, when someone like Jiang Wei would have fought to the end and bled Shu dry.
Which is pretty much why Liu Shan's treated so badly in the novel, especially when you see the parallels to other "accomodationists" in Chinese history whose political opponents correspondingly idealized Shu, whereas modern sensibilities are more sympathetic to "having sense to surrender".

Ironic, considering that Guan Yu's own capitulation to circumstances is one of the more important subplots in the novel, though the lack of a subsequent rebellion/departure by Liu Shan (unlike Jiang Wei's failed attempt), much less a successful one, is probably what disqualified him from the sympathy/acceptance given to Guan Yu, which I'd note was probably deliberately meant to parallel with Goujian despite the wide contrast of their situations...

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I really like Liu Shan in DW because he knows how incompetent he is, and just does the best he can. In the late stages of the historical he basically knows hes just a puppet, but keeps on keeping on because Shu would fall into it's own rear end without an Idol to gather around. It isn't until Jin shows up at his door and basically gets rid of everyone keeping him stuck in place that he can finally do something for himself and Shu without it falling through the filter of Jiang Wei. I also like the last stage in Shu's hypothetical route, where everyone else uses their core characters, there's little Liu Shan standing along with Zhao Yun, Zhuge Liang, and his father, and his side is him going "I do have what it takes to be great!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any more word on when DLC and stuff will come out for PC DW8, or are they just loving with us?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

New info on Hyrule Warriors. Ganondorf, Zant and Ghirahim will all be playable, in addition to being enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_DZtTR3zu0
Direct can be watched here, not much new that we didn't see in the NicoNico streams or Famitsu, but a few nuggets here and there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All these character reveals for Hyrule Warriors reminds me that I haven't played more than half of the Zelda games, I don't know hardly any of these guys. It was always a distant second to me from the Metroid series; unfortunately it's the one that has continued into the modern age.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Metroid is also modern, thank whatever nintendo god that it did not end up like Metroid.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrPaper posted:

New info on Hyrule Warriors. Ganondorf, Zant and Ghirahim will all be playable, in addition to being enemies.

Direct can be watched here, not much new that we didn't see in the NicoNico streams or Famitsu, but a few nuggets here and there.

Oh my god I need this game. I don't even particularly like Zelda games, but this is just such a new and refreshing way to mash 'X'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Metroid is also modern, thank whatever nintendo god that it did not end up like Metroid.
I'm confused about this sentence for multiple reasons, but wasn't the last Metroid game Prime 3 early in the Wii's lifetime? And I didn't like that game very much, too much shooting and not enough exploring.

Since then, it's been a parade of wannabe indie "metroidvanias" which have almost all failed to capture what I liked about Metroid in the first place.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 5, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm confused about this sentence for multiple reasons, but wasn't the last Metroid game Prime 3 early in the Wii's lifetime? And I didn't like that game very much, too much shooting and not enough exploring.

Since then, it's been a parade of wannabe indie "metroidvanias" which have almost all failed to capture what I liked about Metroid in the first place.

Heh heh heh. You wish.

Other M killed the series.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, I'm pretty sure the series ended with Prime 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey Samurai Warriors Chronicles is back. Now on Vita too!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Will it see the light of day outside japan

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno, pray maybe? At least it's on a region free platform now so even if Koei does pass you can at least import the thing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Christ, I forgot how loving terrifying Zant's face was underneath the mask.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Christ, I forgot how loving terrifying Zant's face was underneath the mask.
When I first saw Zant I figured he'd be kind of attractive underneath the mask, because that was a popular trend for Japanese game villains at the time. I was expecting him to look a bit like Vaati, maybe.

Instead he looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any more word on when DLC and stuff will come out for PC DW8, or are they just loving with us?

It sounded like any delay would be on Valve's end. The dlc is in testing according to the steam dB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RentACop posted:

Wrong thread, however slaughtering grunts IS thematically appropriate so thumbs up regardless

What did he post about?