Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Orv posted:

Someone somewhere thinks the tank controls are a good thing. :suicide:

Being that most of the older survival horror games were designed completely around this control method, yes in those cases I'd say it was a good idea.

I will fight you over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

"Couldn't even be bothered to do anything about the backgrounds". What is he even implying here, that they dig out the original scenes from their hard-drives which have probably been deleted eons ago and then re-render them in higher-def for the HD release, or that they completely remake the entire mansion from the ground up in full in-engine 3D? Because both of those things sound really labor-intensive and retarded, and the former seems totally impossible since again, I doubt that they even still have the original scenes.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Free copy of Frozen Hearth.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Yeah I'm also interested although I thought Risen 2 was pretty crappy.

I didn't like Risen 1 or 2. The first was full of jank and overloaded with quests that have you running around, sure you can go anywhere, but you'll be murdered at too low a level, poo poo doesn't respawn and some of the quests themselves require the use of a finite resource and you can fail yourself into a corner.

Risen 2 was better from a story perspective, but still utterly tedious.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

King Vidiot posted:

"Couldn't even be bothered to do anything about the backgrounds". What is he even implying here, that they dig out the original scenes from their hard-drives which have probably been deleted eons ago and then re-render them in higher-def for the HD release, or that they completely remake the entire mansion from the ground up in full in-engine 3D? Because both of those things sound really labor-intensive and retarded, and the former seems totally impossible since again, I doubt that they even still have the original scenes.

He's implying that the game running in 16:9 will kinda crop out some of the background but the screen will scroll to show the relevant bits of the scene as you move around. It's kinda not made for widescreen and the solution looks pretty ghetto. I think he means they should re-render them for widescreen resolutions.

and "they don't have the original scenes" isn't much of an excuse, considering they've remade and re-released the game a bunch of times now. The entire point of a remaster is to bring a game up to speed with modern technologies, if they're prohibited from doing so because they just chucked all the project files to the winds as soon as it was done, why bother? If you can't make it better, why make it at all?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Being that most of the older survival horror games were designed completely around this control method, yes in those cases I'd say it was a good idea.

I will fight you over this.

This is what it comes down to right? Wouldn't standard modern day 3rd person controls make the original Resident Evils a piece of piss?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

This is what it comes down to right? Wouldn't standard modern day 3rd person controls make the original Resident Evils a piece of piss?

You'd have a completely different game.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Junkenstein posted:

This is one of the reasons I hate (many) horror genre games. 90% of the tension seems to be from intentionally using awful cameras and controls so that people feel helpless when anything happens. I've beaten some of the RE games only thanks to cheats, and even then sometimes I'd know there's an enemy in a certain spot and even with unlimited ammo it was just impossible to shoot the enemy until they were right in your face. I have a similar problem with Dead Space, it feels like 90% of the scares are enemies won't spawn until you move so far up the room and then you have to fight the awful controls to shoot them. Switch out for Halo controls and the suspense is gone.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Look, if you're not forced to fight the control for your life, it just isn't survival horror. To be survival horror, a game has to have a control scheme so bad it makes you want to break your controller; them's the rules.

QWOP is the spiritual successor to RE1

revdrkevind posted:

I have a similar problem with Dead Space, it feels like 90% of the scares are enemies won't spawn until you move so far up the room and then you have to fight the awful controls to shoot them.
Hmm, yes, Monster Closets, how dare they.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

This is one of the reasons I hate (many) horror genre games. 90% of the tension seems to be from intentionally using awful cameras and controls so that people feel helpless when anything happens. I've beaten some of the RE games only thanks to cheats, and even then sometimes I'd know there's an enemy in a certain spot and even with unlimited ammo it was just impossible to shoot the enemy until they were right in your face. I have a similar problem with Dead Space, it feels like 90% of the scares are enemies won't spawn until you move so far up the room and then you have to fight the awful controls to shoot them. Switch out for Halo controls and the suspense is gone.
It turns out that survival horror relies on a lack of resources to provide tension, who knew?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
How in the gently caress can you put Dead Space and awful controls in the same sentence. Everything about the movement and aiming in those games are fluid as hell.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

With this and Pillars of Eternity, 2015 is going to be the year of the return of great-looking pre-rendered graphics.....oh god I hope, they're so pretty

I still can't believe how good a 12 year old Gamecube game looks, especially one that was going for realistic graphics instead of relying on an artstyle that would age well.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It turns out that survival horror relies on a lack of resources to provide tension, who knew?
Hey, I forgot to thank you for the Chopin games. I'll be soon testing how bad they are :laugh:.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

How in the gently caress can you put Dead Space and awful controls in the same sentence. Everything about the movement and aiming in those games are fluid as hell.

Perhaps he's been playing with Vsync on?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Why are you all arguing about lovely controls instead of playing The Expendabros for free?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Why are you all arguing about lovely controls instead of playing The Expendabros for free?

Holy poo poo, downloading now!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

THIS is how you do a movie tie-in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some kind of card-based RPG released: Northmark: Hour of the Wolf

Seems interesting at least.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't even give a poo poo about The Expendables but I'll gladly try a free Broforce demo.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Palpek posted:

Hey, I forgot to thank you for the Chopin games. I'll be soon testing how bad they are :laugh:.
The games are amazing, go in blind.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Yodzilla posted:

L Trigger: Aim Mode. The comparison to Resident Evil isn't hard to see? Maybe this one is more fluid, but it's a similar idea. I had no idea the Vsync issue was a thing so I'll guess I was experiencing that on top of this, but I still have an issue with this control scheme.

Limited resources are fine, they're part of what make Papers, Please awesome. And Papers, Please has control limitations. But the game is largely cognizant of its issues ("booth upgrades") and provides good story reasons for most of its limits- of course it's hard to lay out the documents to see them all at once, you're in a tiny poorly-maintained soviet inspection shack. It just needs a flickering light to complete the look.

Trying to explain how in your average horrow game how you'll be a police officer who can't move while holding your gun forward takes a bit more gymnastics. Exceptions do exist, like FEAR and Condemned, and I have a lot more fun with those games in that regard.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Not sure if this is new, but looks like Bundlestars has Red Faction 1, and Red Faction 2 on for $1 each.
Also has the full Red Faction collection on for $5.99.
Red Faction Guerrilla, and Armageddon are on for $1.99 each.

http://www.bundlestars.com/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Just announced for Steam: A HD-ish update of the 2002 Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1! Apparently this is considered the definitive version, using pre-rendered backgrounds to kick up the polycount on the characters above the norm for the time.

New features (all optional) include improved artwork, non-tank controls, and a zoomed in scrolling camera to make the 4:3 graphics work in 16:9. It's scheduled for "early next year". I guess RE4 HD did pretty well, huh.

I think I'm the only person who didn't really like the Gamecube remake all that much. Things like Crimson Heads, as iconic as they are, really messed with the flow of the game I think, forcing even more backtracking, more inventory management, and even time management into a game that already had you backtracking all over the place for keys, doors, and item chests. The additional plot doesn't really do much either since it's just as bad as the rest. At the same time I don't really think the original is really all the special in hindsight but the remake just seemed to add more tedium into it.

Give me a PC re-release of RE2 and RE3 and I'll be happier, maybe even Code Veronica since they already redid that for PS3/360.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

revdrkevind posted:

L Trigger: Aim Mode. The comparison to Resident Evil isn't hard to see?

You... are a special snowflake, aren't you? Dead Space has its problems, but they're mostly due to it being pretty much a third-person shooter, even more arcadey than Doom 3. Having an aim button is not one of those issues.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

You... are a special snowflake, aren't you? Dead Space has its problems, but they're mostly due to it being pretty much a third-person shooter, even more arcadey than Doom 3. Having an aim button is not one of those issues.

You missed the comparison between Resident Evil and Papers, Please?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

revdrkevind posted:

L Trigger: Aim Mode. The comparison to Resident Evil isn't hard to see?
Uhhhh plenty of games have an Aim button on the L trigger what the gently caress

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just loaded Dead Space because I remembered the controls being distinctly tank-like. I remembered wrong-- they're slow and awkward, especially with mouse and keyboard, but there's still a lot more freedom of movement than there is with typical tank controls.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
So in the Meridian sale, Space Hack is apparently free for next 24 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315260/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

This is crazy-savvy marketing by Devolver, who have consistently impressed me these past couple years. Expendabros is essentially a demo/shareware episode for Broforce, but with official Expendables branding.

The movie probably doesn't gain much coverage from this, but Broforce - an indie shooter by a teensy tiny 6-person team in South Africa of all places - gets a mountain of positive buzz.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Palpek posted:

Yeah I'm also interested although I thought Risen 2 was pretty crappy.

I am currently replaying Risen 2 (played it on x360 before) and i don't know - it may be a guilty-pleasure. I liked Risen 1 too. It's about how you can't just wander off and just kill everything like with all those modern Morrowind clones. If you take the wrong direction you will get your rear end handed to you. On a plate. To your severed head (sitting on another plate). The enemies tend to stunlock you if your are not leveled-up/careful enough but i actually like that.
In conculision i'd say it's a mixture of Skyrim and Dark Souls (now hit me.....)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dominic White posted:

The movie probably doesn't gain much coverage from this, but Broforce - an indie shooter by a teensy tiny 6-person team in South Africa of all places - gets a mountain of positive buzz.
Yeah, after playing it I would probably buy Broforce right now if I weren't in a Steam Gifts giveaway for it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

funakupo posted:

So in the Meridian sale, Space Hack is apparently free for next 24 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315260/

Isn't Space Hack pretty lovely, all things considered?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

WC3 free on Origin.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cool now I can get it for free instead of paying 50 cents on GOG or something.

Seriously though what is the point of giving away a 10 20 year old game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhhhh plenty of games have an Aim button on the L trigger what the gently caress
I guess the takeaway from this is Resident Evil and Call of Duty have similar control schemes

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Seriously though what is the point of giving away a 10 year old game.

They're giving away free games to get you to install their HDD scanning software, advertising popups, and digital store.

(I'm not implying steam is perfect)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Bundle this week is Android-only, sorry folks. You'll just have to play the games you already own this week

Liquid Penguins posted:

They're giving away free games to get you to install their HDD scanning software, advertising popups, and digital store.

I have Origin installed and I haven't seen any popups :confused:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Origin's storefront is like way better than steam's clunky slow loading piece of poo poo anyways.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Drifter posted:

Isn't Space Hack pretty lovely, all things considered?

But it's freeeeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Liquid Penguins posted:

Okay. Boy, the government sure did a great job faking that whole moon landing thing, too, huh?

...:qq:fluoride in the waaaaaaaaaater :qq:

• Locked thread