Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is he actually serious though? I just thought part of his schtick was the whole GOD YOU SUCK thing to push people into trying harder. Not saying that's actually an effective method or anything...

RagingHematoma posted:

I watched a bunch of his videos and never wanted to pick up a guitar ever again. I know practice isn't fun all the time, but I only have like an hour a day to play. I really don't want to spend it picking strings.

Is there any validity to what he is prescribing to someone like myself who has been playing for less than a year? If that is what is ahead of me, I'll just give up now.

It helps to develop a solid base of technique, to give you fundamental skills, and to avoid half-assing things in a way that's hard to unlearn later. Part of that is getting used to doing things with your hands, developing strength and accuracy and muscle memory, and that means doing it a fair bit.

But really that means focused practice, done properly, and done regularly. When I run through a practice/warm up (they can be the same thing) I do that picking thing exactly like he's doing, but I do it to a metronome, for like 30 seconds or a minute per string. Listening really carefully to make sure I'm playing evenly, and correcting it when I'm not. Then I move onto other things, and the practice ends up like 12 minutes, covering things like string skipping and upstrumming power chords, stuff I want to work on.

Professional musicians often practice a lot, but they'll cover stuff in depth, not just pick a string over and over unless a) they're really bad at it and need to do something about it sharpish, or b) their music basically involves picking a string over and over. I feel like that's fine for getting your hand used to the motion when you're starting out, and maybe it's good to do now and again as a bit of exercise, but you can do that in your spare time while watching TV or whatever.

But training actual accuracy takes a bit of focus, you need to listen and concentrate, which you can only do for so long - and going too long can be counter-productive. Look at how Pebber's sloppy picking doesn't actually improve in that video (for the couple of minutes I watched anyway) - it's because he's not paying attention, he's too busy yammering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The Pebber Brown guy maybe a good guitarist (I'm judging by his qualifications) but honestly who wants to learn like that. Internet lessons or not, insulting people for x hours is a pretty awful way to motivate anyone; unless your intention is to get them to quit. Bonus points for him lashing out at some bozo who defended him. The internet seems chock full of guitar 'gurus' who feel as if it is their god given duty to look down upon anyone who is of lesser skill than them.

The only way you really improve is with self discipline. Fortunately you can find guides where the teacher is not a total knob just about anyplace else.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Played an Ibanez that I loved the feel of (and the bridge was so comfy).

It's been sitting at the guitar store for years (The guitar is a 2007 iirc), so I'm sure they'd be happy to move it.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Yeah the kinds of exercises he's showing you in that video are really useful and important tools for improving, but not those specific exercises or the way he's doing them. Technique is basically training your hands to know the instrument better, so when you sit down to play something it'll come out cleaner and nicer sounding. If you only have an hour or so a day to play, you shouldn't spend the whole hour on them. If you spend an hour on technique, you'd better be practicing at least two hours in total. 20 minutes is the number that's always been quoted to me. That 20 minutes is not just for the picking exercises in that video, it's for technique in general, so things like scales, pull on/off exercises, and whatever it is you feel needs improving. Of course, all that is in order to play songs better so spending your whole practice on technique is dumb.

He also doesn't use a metronome in that video for some reason, which is just terrible advice. Always use a metronome.

I think that video really is some kind of psychological manipulation more than an actual guitar course. He'll spend 5 minutes just picking a string back and forth, and will start yammering on about the BP oil spill while he's doing it. That's telling the viewer that he doesn't give a gently caress about them or this video. Then he goes on about how terrible his students are for a couple of minutes. Finally, he says there are "one or two of you out of like 500" who have the potential to get really good, so if you did his stupid picking exercise along with the video up until that point, you get to feel good about yourself. The whole thing is set up so that the viewer ends up seeking his approval, which is impossible to get since it is a video. Of course, then there's another like 15 minutes of the same picking exercise, which you're supposed to feel obligated to do in order to be the "one or two out of 500." It feels like some kind of weird manipulation in order to keep people paying for his online lessons.

Not gonna lie, that kind of picking exercise is actually useful for me, but that's only because I play fingerstyle pretty much exclusively and blow with a pick. Even in my case, I wouldn't do it every day, because I don't normally play with a pick. The reason I started watching that video in the first place was because it was an exercise I could do without my left hand, since my wrist is still weak, again something that doesn't apply to everyone. Useful exercises for incredibly specific circumstances!

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
All you ragging on the Comic-book store guy need to realize that in my day we all played scales uphill both ways through 10 feet of snow - and we liked it! :colbert:

In his defense, he has some good chops and knows his stuff - his theory stuff is great IMO. His delivery (and hygiene) on the other hand...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

YeahWhatevah posted:

All you ragging on the Comic-book store guy need to realize that in my day we all played scales uphill both ways through 10 feet of snow - and we liked it! :colbert:

..and it was his sister's day to use the pick.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Sockington posted:

..and it was his sister's day to use the pick.

Bah! Pure luxury!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The thing about PB is that you can get all of that info written in a book somewhere without having a gross whiny idiot being a complete rear end about it to make himself sound like some sort of guitar hero who is completely above you as a student. He's a perfect example of the poo poo side of the guitar world and someone an intelligent, passionate about music person should look at as the opposite of what you should want out of your hobby. If you have to be unpleasant, forceful, and rude about teaching you're a blatantly terrible teacher or one willing to refuse students in the name of $$$. Dude is garbage sorry!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
When decking a strat trem (most likely with the 5 spring method), does it matter which bridge system is already in place? Would the two post trem system from a Modern Player Strat work just as well as a 6 screw MIM bridge? It seems like the MP bridge is meant to flex towards the body (to sharpen notes) and could create issues when trying to deck the trem.

The reason I ask is that I was thinking of getting either the HSH MP Strat or a MIM blacktop HH strat, and they have different bridges, and I wanted to know if I was better off with the blacktop even though its more expensive. Chances are that I will likely change just about everything on the guitar except for the neck and body by the time I am done messing with it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If you're changing everything, is there a reason your not using a Squier CV/VM as a base?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Sockington posted:

If you're changing everything, is there a reason your not using a Squier CV/VM as a base?

HH routing. From what I can gather, it looks like the CV/VM are both only routed for S in the front slot. However, I mostly found that from looking at people selling old squier bodies. I am hesitant to take a chisel or dremel to the guitar body. Plus wouldn't I have to refinish it afterwards so the wood doesn't dry out or rot or something?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

Internet lessons or not, insulting people for x hours is a pretty awful way to motivate anyone; unless your intention is to get them to quit.

It can be done in a (very mildly) humorous way though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwpdddKBpQ

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

It can be done in a (very mildly) humorous way though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwpdddKBpQ

Well tongue in cheek, lighthearted mockery is a pretty drastically different thing than 2 hours of fatso calling you poo poo for his own amusement.

I am not a huge fan of him, but the Rob Chapman guy had one video I thought was a nice bit where he basically just tells people it is okay to suck. Basically everyone sucks initially, and it is just a matter of hard work and dedication to get better. That is pretty obvious to a lot of people, but I think everyone has low points where it feels like you are not getting anywhere. I have been getting much faster on scales and such, and then I watch some people and it feels like I am still playing in slow motion. I have a pretty big thing in real life against bullies who rank on people because it is sad how easily some people can discourage others. I was pretty lucky that my music teachers were all easy going guys, and in my actual band years they went far out of their way to help me, even if I did not care as much as I should have.

edit: Maybe I am a big softee, but I like stuff like Justinguitars. He is a cheery guy who enjoys playing, and it makes me enjoy the videos a lot more. It makes me think of Bob Ross, who also rocked.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 5, 2014

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Everyone has different learning styles. Some people like to learn from someone who can communicate a passion and love for the instrument, and some people like being yelled at by a greasy fat guy.

e: some people even "get off" on it

JULIAN ASSANGE fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 5, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Everyone has different learning styles. Some people like to learn from someone who can communicate a passion and love for the instrument, and some people like being yelled at by a greasy fat guy.

e: some people even "get off" on it

Hahaha, it is just something I will never understand.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Where can I hire someone to teach me fingerpicking while putting a heel into my balls? Serious answers only.

Really I've gone back to that long pickpickpick video a few times and I can't stop laughing at the god drat dom vibes. It's the worst thing. At least the guy is hilarious sometimes.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Maybe I am a big softee, but I like stuff like Justinguitars. He is a cheery guy who enjoys playing, and it makes me enjoy the videos a lot more. It makes me think of Bob Ross, who also rocked.

I'm with you completely here. Justin is a really good natured guy and one of the few youtube style instructors I've ever really learned much from. His style is very relaxed and it feels less like someone drilling you into perfection and more like a pleasant dude giving you enough guidance to help you figure out your own path. I should watch more of his videos soon. The Bob Ross comparison is good, never even thought of that.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 6, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sockington posted:

Played an Ibanez that I loved the feel of (and the bridge was so comfy).

It's been sitting at the guitar store for years (The guitar is a 2007 iirc), so I'm sure they'd be happy to move it.

Yeah it's an RGA121 in a color I really wish I could get my hands on. That one is an all mahogany body as opposed to the stain-finish satin ones that have maple caps. They're excellent guitars, and I really should play mine more.

e: you can basically treat the maple-capped ones like les pauls, it's almost the same thing with a longer scale length

muike fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 5, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Cross post from my thread on TGP

quote:

I stopped by the SoHo location today while on a working vacation. Really really surprised at the gear they had on sale. Some good prices on a few things and the staff member that greeted me at the door was fantastic. He seemed legitimately excited to show me around and after talking with me for about five minutes he knew what I'd have liked to have seen in the shop after that. He let me play some really fantastic instruments and even some very rare ones.

They have an Epiphone Emperor 3pup that's in amazing shape. Sounded great. I got my hands on an ES225 and a 60's ES330. Both were fantastic. I played a Hofner, which I think was a Hofner Golden, but I couldn't verify. Great price but had a nasty neck break right at the body though it looked to have a good repair.

Guy seemed to love his boss too. Talked about how great taste Rudy had. Rudy apparently is a collector of D'Angelico's old guitars.

Always hear bad stories about various music shops and wanted to share a really positive experience with the forum.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Good news, I got my old Peavey tele back! Sort of. It's not going anywhere, at least. I'll explain.

When my oldest younger sister (of three sisters) turned 14, she was really into guitar and we lived about 900 miles away from each other so I decided to give her one of my favorite American made guitars, a Peavey tele from the mid 1980s with just unreal fit and finish. Rivals my own preferred, go-to guitar (also a tele, though this one's a 2003 MIA Fender) for playability, and takes lighter strings well, so I thought it'd make both a very practical tool to learn on since it doesn't fight you at all when you play, and hopefully a thoughtful gift that'd help her remember that distance doesn't mean I don't care about her.

Anyway. She loved the gift, and I just asked her that if time changed her mind and she ever decided she didn't want it for any reason, that's totally OK - just please keep it in the family or let me buy it from her. Years passed, and she didn't end up sticking with guitar. Heard nothing about it but did hear about some tight months during her sophomore year in college, so I figured it was just gone, probably sold to help with that. Wouldn't have been hard feelings if she needed the money quickly, honestly, most people probably been there. I'd given up any thought of it being "mine" and the whole "let me buy it back" thing wasn't really intended to be a huge deal - but I guess the sentimental value kept it around :3:

Turns out she gave it to my middle sister to hang on to, and for a few years now my middle sister has taken a real, lasting interest in a variety of stringed instruments (like, she's having a blast busking, learning new songs all the time, and since I've moved out here she's had me teach her quite a bit in terms of general stringed instrument maintenance and help her make sure her performing instruments are in shape).

I guess it's got more sentimental value now! (which is good because...)

More thread-relevant note re: Peavey instruments, Made in America in the 1980s:

While the story of it sticking around is way more important to me than its specific qualities, anyone who isn't up on Peaveys from the 1980s should look into them if they're after a high quality instrument for way less than you'd expect. Unless something's changed (and I'll check before posting) since 2011 when I last checked out the various T- series guitars and nearly bought one, they remain extremely good deals used, mostly coming in at a very fair price with a good hard case. Some of the higher end ones, despite being rear end-ugly, are starting to climb in price and become harder to find for sale, and as you might imagine Wolfgangs are their own thing. It's the main lineup, less the back-then super premium one, that can offer outstanding deals on workhorse instruments.

This would have been a moderate-to-good guitar in their lineup at the time, and they took workmanship satisfyingly seriously on it. The real stand-out for me and why I figured it'd be a great guitar to learn on is the immaculate neck, with outstanding, lasting construction quality. Frets are crowned better than the majority of guitars I've ever held. 1986-1987 make, maple neck and fretboard, sparkling blue poly paint job over some wood I forget (honest, it's not plywood, but it's been ages since I looked up the specs on it and the finish is opaque), electronics still holding up very well. I love the way they did the bridge - rather than use the big steel blocks that a lot of guitars had moved to, or conventional tele saddles, they used what are basically miniature tele saddles with one for each string. Killer sustain and tons of room for individual string intonation. Handy.

Very cool instrument, and if you happened not to know about Peavey apart from their very mediocre modern instruments or their amps/PAs/etc., may well be worth it to keep an eye out for their old, good ones... If you don't mind playing a kinda ugly instrument for the sake of massively good function over somewhat uninspired form (well, Peavey). A quick look at ebay suggests that Peavey T-60s with hard case run anywhere from $400 to $600 now, which is up about $75-$100 on either end from a few years back it looks like, but that ought to be more or less the price ceiling for the main lineup of Peavey guitars from back then. Puts them in a good spot for used buyers and I know we have a lot of folks here in that market.

Edit: Also they made these haha

the '80s must have had killer loving coke

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 7, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The old American made Peaveys are fantastic, but yeah people are a little more aware of them these days. Still good deals to be found if you look hard enough though. Especially on the T-15s or T-30s, the T-60s are always more expensive. At ~$200 they're real hard to beat, but when asking prices get towards $400 there are a lot more choices for your money.

I blame the inflated value on bass dudes discovering how great the T-40 is and it's weird reputation as a poor man's Rickenbacker.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Saw a Peavey T-15 for like 125 on Reverb this morning, if I didn't literally have negative money right now I'd have scooped it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn it a year ago I passed on a T-15 with ampcase for $115. Was going to give it to my daughter since it's a shortscale but she ended up first using my Jag then not playing at all. Oh well.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I love my T-60 even though it's molested, it's a real machine. I'm crazy about USA Peaveys and the minute I see a tele or strat near me I'm going to snatch it up.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I've always lusted after T-40s and T-60s, though I've never played one and heard they're heavy as gently caress. Had to pass on a T-40 a friend was selling for $200 a few years ago because yeah, negative money and all. I'll have to look at those tele-types though; been getting mildly interested in that form factor lately.

Also speaking of good deals in used guitars: People seem to be selling MIJ Gibson and Fender copies for four-years-ago prices, which is to say pretty low. I don't know if the market is being flooded with fakes now (and that is very possible), but if not then now is a good time to look at Fujigen and Matsumoku-made Strats, Teles and LPs. A few models are still very expensive (Greco Super Real, nicer Tokais) but others have calmed down quite a bit. I hope that other people are calming down about Japanese copies in general, because I have no plan to ever do that. :colbert:

Also, for non-boring metronome practice I'm enjoying this book of Pat Metheny etudes. It's a little odd since they're just transcriptions of him warming up, but of course the guy can craft more interesting things on the fly than many people can with endless revisions. Also, he has a very different approach to the neck than I do (and probably most other people) so I've found these exercises good for breaking habits. I don't think you have to aspire to play music like Metheny's to benefit from the book; it's just nice fairly simple but challenging stuff without being as dry as PB or as pedestrian as chugging through Proud Mary or whatever. I think it's 100% single note leads too, with maybe a few double stops.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

I love my T-60 even though it's molested, it's a real machine. I'm crazy about USA Peaveys and the minute I see a tele or strat near me I'm going to snatch it up.

I'll have a T-60, one of these days. I think my price recollection's a bit off; I agree that it's clear that they're going up in price, but I'm still fairly sure they'll never be the speculation machine that similar-period MIA/MIJ instruments with famous names have turned out to be. Because Peavey. (Also they are legit pretty goofy looking, but nobody wanted to get sued AGAIN by one of the big two, so...)

They're just very well made guitars and basses, in my experience, and I regret not buying a T-60 with a hard case and a little belt rash for like $300 one time I had the opportunity :cry:

I have a Peavey Rage II bass from the same time period and it's a great project instrument, but thirty years have taken their toll on the hardware (which was probably fairly soft to begin with; this was an entry-level bass back then iirc, just a P-Bass clone with a Peavey headstock). Need to fix it up.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Agreed posted:

I'll have a T-60, one of these days. I think my price recollection's a bit off; I agree that it's clear that they're going up in price, but I'm still fairly sure they'll never be the speculation machine that similar-period MIA/MIJ instruments with famous names have turned out to be. Because Peavey. (Also they are legit pretty goofy looking, but nobody wanted to get sued AGAIN by one of the big two, so...)

They're just very well made guitars and basses, in my experience, and I regret not buying a T-60 with a hard case and a little belt rash for like $300 one time I had the opportunity :cry:

I have a Peavey Rage II bass from the same time period and it's a great project instrument, but thirty years have taken their toll on the hardware (which was probably fairly soft to begin with; this was an entry-level bass back then iirc, just a P-Bass clone with a Peavey headstock). Need to fix it up.

I got mine about 7-ish years ago for $300 with a case, I thought that was a little high then, but it also has this questionable bridge modification so yeah. I saw a few pop up on the NYC craigslist recently and they seem to be going in the 400-700 range roughly. I honestly avoid talking about the MIA Peaveys online because I'm afraid someday people are going to figure out how great they are and skyrocket in price. It's like this amazing secret nobody seems to know.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

I got mine about 7-ish years ago for $300 with a case, I thought that was a little high then, but it also has this questionable bridge modification so yeah. I saw a few pop up on the NYC craigslist recently and they seem to be going in the 400-700 range roughly. I honestly avoid talking about the MIA Peaveys online because I'm afraid someday people are going to figure out how great they are and skyrocket in price. It's like this amazing secret nobody seems to know.

Haha, we bring it up every year or three, but this time around I'm mega stoked because that thing came back like a boomerang :) I think it's kinda funny how everyone seems to think they've got some sort of hole card that nobody else has figured out - sort of the way things go down if you bring a well-appointed Agile out and get a big :raise: from other musicians who've never heard of the brand. Hell, at this point, Rondo's house line probably has way more visibility than old Peavey instruments anyway.

HollisBrown posted:

Speaking of quality copies. Someone on my local craigslist has an ESP strat copy for like $300 bucks, not an LTD. Seems like a sweet score. Anyone concur or dissent?

Is there something wrong with it? I'd be wary of counterfeit at that price. Or work you'd have to do to it. But if there's nothing wrong...

if it's a MIJ ESP strat/super strat style, hell yeah I'd buy that for $300 if I had to suck dick for the money hth

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 7, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Speaking of quality copies. Someone on my local craigslist has an ESP strat copy for like $300 bucks, not an LTD. Seems like a sweet score. Anyone concur or dissent?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HollisBrown posted:

Super steal. post a pic if you're worried about it being jacked out from underneath you and I might be able to tell you more about it

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

Super steal. post a pic if you're worried about it being jacked out from underneath you and I might be able to tell you more about it

I'm on my phone, but the ad says it's from the 80s and it says 400 series on the headstock.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds legit. It's a pretty straightforward guitar. MIJ, one of their earlier actual production guitars.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Dang I just replaced the electronics on my Telecaster with a 5-way prewired harness and IT SOUNDS GOOD. Well, BETTER than it did before. Neck and Bridge individually still give me the timbre I desire but the out of phase and parallel selections sound really heavy and more rock n roll than I expected. The output is much louder than the old set of electronics too. I'll have to record a non-lovely demo to showcase it all.

One question though, I've readjusted the pickups to where I thought they should be but I do notice some change in the sensitivity of how the notes are picked up and the overall sound. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how different the new wiring sounds as well as the new set of round-wound strings that are on there (very twangy) but I'm wondering if anyone has some general tips on pickup height and if it really makes that much difference in terms of sound and note "pickup" if the pickups are 5mm higher or lower (or how angling the pickups would change the sound at all). I want to put a new set of flatter strings on at some point since my tone is a lot hotter and twangy and I want it to be a little smoother and warm.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The ONLY thing that'd make that somehow not a fuckin' screaming deal is if it has a serious wood repair or something like that, and even then, I'd buy it maybe one millisecond slower at $300 with a low serial.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Dang I just replaced the electronics on my Telecaster with a 5-way prewired harness and IT SOUNDS GOOD. Well, BETTER than it did before. Neck and Bridge individually still give me the timbre I desire but the out of phase and parallel selections sound really heavy and more rock n roll than I expected. The output is much louder than the old set of electronics too. I'll have to record a non-lovely demo to showcase it all.

One question though, I've readjusted the pickups to where I thought they should be but I do notice some change in the sensitivity of how the notes are picked up and the overall sound. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how different the new wiring sounds as well as the new set of round-wound strings that are on there (very twangy) but I'm wondering if anyone has some general tips on pickup height and if it really makes that much difference in terms of sound and note "pickup" if the pickups are 5mm higher or lower (or how angling the pickups would change the sound at all). I want to put a new set of flatter strings on at some point since my tone is a lot hotter and twangy and I want it to be a little smoother and warm.

Pickups are almost the simplest possible transducer. Their height relative to the strings will have a dramatic impact, as the magnetic field around each individual pole piece or around the pickup as a whole (if rail, Lace, etc.) wanes cubed, so you get a very substantial change in the sound and in how effectively it picks up thing like bends, etc. by changing the pickup height.

If somebody is really happy with their guitar's setup but not so much with the sound, I recommend a pickup height adjustment waaaaaaaaaaaay before pickup replacement, because it is nuts how some pickups change their sound based on what seems like a really minor thing. It just happens to be a crucial variable in the whole transduction process: proximity of the magnetic field to the suspended metal strings running through it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So Musician's Friend sent me one of their usual emails saying "OMG U NEED COUPONS? PLZ 2 CLLALS!" (What's up with this trend of theirs lately anyway?). Normally I scroll down to take a peek at whatever other promotional stuff they have going just to confirm I indeed have no use for it but then I saw a blurb about a massive "summer sale" on some brand called "Yamaha". Remembering that I was still in the market for a serious low-price beater acoustic I'd be willing to transport between air conditioning and the 100+ temperatures my part of the country is fond if this time of year... and remembering that I played an F335 about a year ago that I felt played amazingly well for its intended price point... I peeked.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-f335-acoustic-guitar

130? Sold.

Black shows scratches too easy and the Mrs considers the natural one "boring", so Tobacco Burst it is! Trigger pulled, should arrive next week.

This will also give me something I can play within arm's reach of my daughter without fearing she's going to put a Lego or rock through it. Maybe in a couple years it'll be hers (gotta love it when a toddler walks up and says "piiiiick!" so you can fret up some chords for them and they can strum).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Practice amps! I'm new and bad, have no intention of playing in a band or in front of other people, and honestly the quieter the better - I hate the thought of other people listening to me practice :emo:
I'm planning on trying out the fender mustang mini and the blackstar ID core 10. Any other recommendations?

e: I'm not going to get effects pedals etc so something (like the two above) that gives me a lot of control over the sound would be good

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 7, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

awesmoe posted:

Practice amps! I'm new and bad, have no intention of playing in a band or in front of other people, and honestly the quieter the better - I hate the thought of other people listening to me practice :emo:
I'm planning on trying out the fender mustang mini and the blackstar ID core 10. Any other recommendations?

I've owned a Mustang I (v1) and currently own a Blackstar ID30.

If you're going to use headphones, either will be just fine, but I might point you towards an in-line heaphone only amp instead similar to the VOX offerings. Very easy to sit and noodle with on the couch.

If you're putting it out in the air, my only concern would be sound quality. That being said, the Mustang I I had... they did amazing things tuning that 8 inch driver/cabinet combo to sound way beyond its size, and it's not much more expensive than the Mini. I would honestly go there, unless you definitely want battery-powered... then again I would point you to a VOX in-line and headphones.

Now for the subjective opinion:

If you really, really like the sound of clean Fender amps, the Mustang line is the solution. There is no substitute in the modeling world to my ears. The key here is "clean". I think most of the driven sounds on the Mustang sound like garbage. This may or may not matter to you. But you can dial in some amazing clean modeling on this amp line.

ID10 Core... stereo, with stereo effects (minor, but neat), the ISF circuit is freaking awesome, and their driven sounds sound so much better with their clean sounds being just fine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Breaking news: I'm switching to D standard. I was always a STANDARD OR DIE dude but I've been playing so much banjo and have dropped my acoustic into open g and I figure why not. It's a better base for me. The D and G are two of my favorite notes and it lines up with how I naturally play and think musically. All those years of whining about kids tuning down to sound heavy reversed in an instant.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Also speaking of good deals in used guitars: People seem to be selling MIJ Gibson and Fender copies for four-years-ago prices, which is to say pretty low. I don't know if the market is being flooded with fakes now (and that is very possible), but if not then now is a good time to look at Fujigen and Matsumoku-made Strats, Teles and LPs. A few models are still very expensive (Greco Super Real, nicer Tokais) but others have calmed down quite a bit. I hope that other people are calming down about Japanese copies in general, because I have no plan to ever do that. :colbert:
I have an E-series MIJ Squier Strat that I've owned since the '80s. It's pretty nice and I like it well enough, but a couple years ago when I was thinking of selling it I was frankly astonished that it was worth more than like US$50 (like what you'd get for a random other used Squier Strat).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kilometers Davis posted:

Breaking news: I'm switching to D standard. I was always a STANDARD OR DIE dude but I've been playing so much banjo and have dropped my acoustic into open g and I figure why not. It's a better base for me. The D and G are two of my favorite notes and it lines up with how I naturally play and think musically. All those years of whining about kids tuning down to sound heavy reversed in an instant.

I used to tune down to C# standard with 10-46. That is my story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alleric posted:

I've owned a Mustang I (v1) and currently own a Blackstar ID30.

If you're going to use headphones, either will be just fine, but I might point you towards an in-line heaphone only amp instead similar to the VOX offerings. Very easy to sit and noodle with on the couch.

If you're putting it out in the air, my only concern would be sound quality. That being said, the Mustang I I had... they did amazing things tuning that 8 inch driver/cabinet combo to sound way beyond its size, and it's not much more expensive than the Mini. I would honestly go there, unless you definitely want battery-powered... then again I would point you to a VOX in-line and headphones.

Now for the subjective opinion:

If you really, really like the sound of clean Fender amps, the Mustang line is the solution. There is no substitute in the modeling world to my ears. The key here is "clean". I think most of the driven sounds on the Mustang sound like garbage. This may or may not matter to you. But you can dial in some amazing clean modeling on this amp line.

ID10 Core... stereo, with stereo effects (minor, but neat), the ISF circuit is freaking awesome, and their driven sounds sound so much better with their clean sounds being just fine.

I have a Mustang III v2 and it is quite impressive and stupidly loud. I just wanted to add that the cleans are good, and the distorted parts are not that bad if you bother to tweak them. This is fairly easy to do on amp with the III/IV/V and you can also do it if you hook up to a laptop with the I and II. Things like the Marshall and Orange models sound pretty poo poo with standard presets, but if you dig in it is kind of surprising how good you can get them. At least to my ears.

Mustangs are pretty awesome, I highly recommend them if you are starting since they give you a tremendous amount of flexibility. Gives you a lot of room to find the kind of sounds you like, and I personally think can even give tubes a run for their money in certain circumstances. I would get the I over the mini unless portability is really your prime concern.