Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That commando is going to be MVP. I can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Only if someone stands still and lets it hit them with its retractable blade.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I guess the missed orders this turn could be seen as a form of dramatic foreshadowing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

You don't have enough MP to make it to 1824. Moving through light woods costs 2 MP and moving through heavy costs 3. You could get to 1724 though. Although your hit chances will be abysmal:

3 Base + 2 Movement + 2 Range + 3 Enemy Movement + 1 Partial Cover = 11.

Since the Coyotl is also in partial cover even if you do manage to hit you might not do any damage. My advice would be to just shoot up the containers at 1722 and 1923 rather than risk a long shot that probably won't pay off.

Whoops - forgot about the 1MP to turn.

In which case I think I will stay in 1726 - my idea was for the Coyote to get up to close range so I would lose the range modifier via the C3i and be hitting on 9s, not great, but better than nothing.

Having said that the Coyote hasn't responded so staying under cover and shooting boxes is probably a better idea.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Alright, making the move to the crates- stopping at 1723. Only firing one LAC gyrojet at the Coyotl- ran the maths, punched the numbers in and my calculator made a :gerty: face. Also lasing the 1722 crate to bust it open

If we find a MacGuffin, do we steal it ASAP, or ignore them as long as there are immediate threats?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Orders are in. Moving north to 1324, giving the Coyotl (Did I miss a joke here or is that name intentional?) both plasma rifles.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Im just going to follow the crab unless someone has better suggestions.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Saint Celestine posted:

Im just going to follow the crab unless someone has better suggestions.

If you jump into 1725, you should have good shots on the containers and can move into position to get shots on the mechs moving in on the west side next turn. Beyond that I dont have much for you. The important thing is to get out of those woods ASAP.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Several turns of missed orders later...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm going to vote for the Commando for OpFor MVP just for having the sheer balls to be involved in a fight while being a Commando, if no other OpFor members are the standout winner.

When you're in a metal babby, anything other than 'cower behind the hill' is a badass move.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Great Beer posted:

the Coyotl (Did I miss a joke here or is that name intentional?)

Brush up on your Nahuatl. :cmon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

Did I miss a joke here or is that name intentional?

It's intentional

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crab - Orders In

Moving to 1724 and unloading 3x ERML to the pile of green crates (1923) and 1x ERLL to the other one (1722). Should be enough to break both.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My orders to walk to 1028 and shoot at a crate are in. Hopefully Cloud will get his in and mine won't be needed from here on out.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Z the IVth posted:

Crab - Orders In

Moving to 1724 and unloading 3x ERML to the pile of green crates (1923) and 1x ERLL to the other one (1722). Should be enough to break both.

At least one of us should hit, right... I mean, yeah it's but then again it's also so they should cancel each other out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I read that as crab-order in and it made perfect sense. :chef:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Looking forward to crab battle

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trial By Fire: Tactical Update 4

“Nothing in these cargo—poo poo!” Lucaino dipped his Crab’s shoulders involuntarily as a quartet of lasers flashed over his Crab’s ball-shaped head. He rolled forward on his machine’s dome-shaped feet, twisting to get a good look at his attacker before it moved on.

“Hoo,” he exclaimed with an accent a Terran native might’ve found reminiscent of the Louisiana bayou spoken with crisp, British precision. “Now there’s a beast I haven’t seen in a while. Positive ident on an enemy Cyclops. I know the Watcher said there’s no enemy commander but that’s a command vehicle or my name’s Kerensky. Hope it’s one of the fragile ones.”

“Can you see if it’s got longs?” Ariana asked in grim tones. “I hear LeVault did a limited run of a Cyclops they brought up to Mk. 6 specs by stripping out the LRMs and—I don’t remember what else they did. I remember it making a stir a few years ago right before the Mark 7 and 8 trials. It just dropped off the radar after that.”

“Couldn’t tell you, miss,” Lucaino drawled apologetically. “I just saw lasers. Wasn’t even that many.”

“Nevermind,” Ariana interjected as the actinic flash of her Plasma Rifles boiled the very air itself as her target ducked behind a low ridge. Fireballs blossomed on the Battlemaster’s leg and chest, but the machine didn’t even rock. “I see it—drat, they scored first blood on me. The carbide armor works, that should’ve been worse. We’re thirty seconds in and we’re already in negative points because of me.”

“Points didn’t even budge.” Shoji was grinning ear-to-ear, Lucaino could hear it. “Maybe the Watcher didn’t see it? Either way, don’t worry about it. The first minute of battle’s always the worst. All maneuvering and sizing the other guy up. They’re playing this defensive, trying to goad us into a knock-down drag-out fight for that cluster of objectives. We’ll get `em back with interest, don’t you worry.”

Movement Phase
Crusader
- Player w/out internet, temporarily controlled by apostateCourier

Combat Phase
Crab (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 1923 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit (7/15 durability remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cargo Container 1923 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit (2/15 durability remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cargo Container 1923 Cargo Container 1923 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit (0/15 durability remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 1722 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 2): automatically hit (0/15 durability remaining)!
- Gains heat 36, sinks 36!

Battlemaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1223!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Coyotl (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Coyotl (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains heat 22, sinks 34!

Coyote (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1722!
- Fires Light Autocannon/5 (Precision Ammo) at Coyotl (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + (3-2 =) 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Secondary target destroyed!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 20!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- Fires Light AC/5 at Building Hex 1622: no Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 1622: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Crusader (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Coyotl
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0524!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Battlemaster (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Right Leg (damage blocked by terrain), Right Leg (damage blocked by terrain), Right Torso (27/28 armor remains), Center Torso (39/40 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Cyclops
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0920!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 14): automatic miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 14): automatic miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24!

Player Status:

Neutral Forces:

Opposing Force (level)
Cyclops (Mk. ?) – Walked +1
Woodsman Prime (Mk. 6) – Walked +0
Mountain Lion (Mk. 4) – Stationary +0
Thunderbolt (Mk. ?) – Ran +0
Kintaro (Mk. ?) – Stationary +0
Wolverine (Mk. ?) – Walked +0
Coyotl A (Mk. 6) – Ran +2
Commando (Mk. ?) – Ran +2

Mission Objective:
Plunder Recovered (0/1500 points)

Secondary Objectives:
Enemy Units Damaged (0/400 points)
Penalty Accrued (-0/-300 points)

Orders Due: Saturday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 6, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh right. Movement mods are a thing. I thought I would be shooting on 8s. :(

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

If you guys want, we can give 'em a nice opening punch. By my count if I put the Crusader where I want to and shoot at the Cyclops, I'm firing at 5s with the LRMS and 7s with everything else- if the Battlemaster closes a little bit to assist.

What does iNarc do again?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You guys should be able to put a good hurt on that Coyotl that's coming up behind, at least. If it's using IS spec components it probably only has the plasma rifle, maybe 2 tons of ammo, streak-4 w/ 1 ton ammo, the cannon MPL, and maybe an extra ERML and ERSL. (There's 1.5 tons that are variable, more if it has lower armor. I could see 8 tons of armor and two ERML instead of a ml + sl). That and it's only a 40 ton medium with an XL engine that won't take much damage to cripple. Some good shots possible on the Cyclops now too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

If you guys want, we can give 'em a nice opening punch. By my count if I put the Crusader where I want to and shoot at the Cyclops, I'm firing at 5s with the LRMS and 7s with everything else- if the Battlemaster closes a little bit to assist.

What does iNarc do again?

Homing makes your missiles more accurate (-1 to hit, +2 to determine how many missiles hit), explosive does 6 damage, haywire makes the target less accurate (+1 to hit), nemesis makes ALL missiles that go near the target have to roll to hit him instead of the intended target. Maniacal laughter may as well be a requirement for firing nemesis pods.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 6, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You'll want to stop that Coyotl from flanking you, at least.

If nobody minds I'll take up the mantle of loremaster again and record the enemy's loadouts as the mission progresses.

--

Cyclops:

ER Medium Laser x4 (Two on each arm?)
:siren:Heavy Gauss Rifle:siren: (Right Torso)
SRM-4 (At least 1 ton of Narc-capable ammo)
Double Heat Sinks x12

Coyotl:

Plasma Rifle (At least 1 ton of ammo)
Streak SRM-4 (At least 1 ton of ammo)
Small Pulse Laser
Double Heat Sinks x10
Jump Jets x7

Mountain Lion:

Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser (Left Arm)
Plasma Rifle x2 (Left + Right Torsos, 4 tons of ammo)
Streak SRM-6 (Right Torso, 1 ton of ammo)
ER Medium Laser (Head)
Retractable Blade (Right Arm)
CASE (Left Torso)
Double Heat Sinks x15

Commando:

Narc Launcher
ER Medium Laser x2 (Left Arm?)
SRM-6 (At least 1 ton of Narc-capable ammo)
Retractable Blade (Right Arm)
Double Heat Sinks x10

Wolverine:

ER Large Laser
ER Medium Laser
SRM-6 x2 (At least 1 ton of normal ammo)
Double Heat Sinks x14
:siren:Hardened Armour:siren:

Thunderbolt:

ER PPC
Medium Laser x3
Streak SRM-2 x1 (At least 1 ton of Streak ammo)
LRM-15 + Artemis IV (At least 1 ton of Artemis ammo)
Double Heat Sinks x14

Woodsman:

ER Large Laser x2
LRM-15 x2 (At least 1 ton of Narc-capable ammo)
Double Heat Sinks x12
MASC

Kintaro:

Narc Launcher
Medium Laser x2
SRM-6 x2 (At least 1 ton of Narc-capable ammo)
LRM-15 (At least 1 ton of regular ammo and 1 ton of Narc-capable ammo)
Double Heat Sinks x10

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 10, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Homing makes your missiles more accurate (-1 to hit, +2 to determine how many missiles hit), explosive does 6 damage, haywire makes the target less accurate (+1 to hit), nemesis makes ALL missiles that go near the target have to roll to hit him instead of the intended target. Maniacal laughter may as well be a requirement for firing nemesis pods.

If I fire Narc this turn, will it affect my LRMs this turn?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Mountain Lion:

Exact same model as the one the Players used 2 scenarios ago.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

:stonk: Welp. I'm also scared of the light with a plasma rifle- that thing must be fairly under-armored to be able to mount that thing effectively.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Coyotl's a medium. It's a 7/11/7 40 ton OmniMech.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Coyotl's a medium. It's a 7/11/7 40 ton OmniMech.

That's very fast for a medium. I stand by what I said about it likely being under-armored. I'm planning on moving forward three hexes into the pocket and unloading everything onto the Cyclops. If I could get backup that would be cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

If I fire Narc this turn, will it affect my LRMs this turn?

Pretty sure that's a no, but I could be wrong.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

I can make it as far as 1022. That will put me 4 away from the cyclops and I can alpha strike on 8s/9s. Not ideal but it gives you guys slightly better shots assuming woods don't block c3i.

I'm awfully close to their blob of mechs though. If I'm not careful I'm going to get dogpiled by four robots.

Theres also the fact ptn is clearly trying to goad is into a fight on that side which favors him. If Team Fat stays approximately where we are now, Team Fast can move up the right and deal with the few forces on that side.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure that's a no, but I could be wrong.

That's fine. If I nail the cyclops this turn with narc I can disengage to deal with the coyotl next turn, and still be able to indirect fire without a spotter on the cyclops. Assuming that the place I stick narc doesn't get blown up.

Great Beer posted:

I can make it as far as 1022. That will put me 4 away from the cyclops and I can alpha strike on 8s/9s. Not ideal but it gives you guys slightly better shots assuming woods don't block c3i.

I'm awfully close to their blob of mechs though. If I'm not careful I'm going to get dogpiled by four robots.

Theres also the fact ptn is clearly trying to goad is into a fight on that side which favors him. If Team Fat stays approximately where we are now, Team Fast can move up the right and deal with the few forces on that side.

If our opening salvo on the cyclops goes well, we'll come through it okay. It's our job to secure the exit corridor- 3 on 4 isn't terrible odds.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Okay guys, don't let this thing near you.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

If our opening salvo on the cyclops goes well, we'll come through it okay. It's our job to secure the exit corridor- 3 on 4 isn't terrible odds.

We can most likely put some hurt on the cyclops this turn. On the other hand, :battletech: is an ever present threat. I can reverse through woods if needed right?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Great Beer posted:

We can most likely put some hurt on the cyclops this turn. On the other hand, :battletech: is an ever present threat. I can reverse through woods if needed right?

Yeah. It's just slopes that stop you from backing up. I think.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

That's very fast for a medium. I stand by what I said about it likely being under-armored. I'm planning on moving forward three hexes into the pocket and unloading everything onto the Cyclops. If I could get backup that would be cool.

The canon Coyotl is one point shy of maximum armor coverage, so this one's probably similar. Clan mediums have the crit space available to pack on all the bulky but weight-saving doodads they want, endo-steel, XL engines, that kind of thing. I'm not saying it's super-sturdy or anything, it's still only forty tons. Just don't expect it to blow up if you look at it funny like the Commando probably will. TACs excepted, naturally.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If it's the version with 7 jets, it probably drops to 6.5 tons of armor. That's only 12 armor/10 internals on legs if that's the case. That's with 2t plasma ammo, 1t srm, and a single MPL. 280XL engine, standard armor, Endosteel internals. One crit too few to use IS FF armor, unless you drop hand actuators.

This is assuming IS components though... Because plasma rifle aint no clan tech.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Okay. I'm going to 0727 and unloading everything on the Cyclops. I'll be shooting at 5's and 7's, and at best eating 8's in return. If we have to disengage it won't be that hard.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GenericServices posted:

The canon Coyotl is one point shy of maximum armor coverage, so this one's probably similar. Clan mediums have the crit space available to pack on all the bulky but weight-saving doodads they want, endo-steel, XL engines, that kind of thing. I'm not saying it's super-sturdy or anything, it's still only forty tons. Just don't expect it to blow up if you look at it funny like the Commando probably will. TACs excepted, naturally.

Is there a mech under 30 tons that isn't super lovely and isn't named Fire Moth?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Is there a mech under 30 tons that isn't super lovely and isn't named Fire Moth?

The Incubus is great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Harvester Ant.

• Locked thread