Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
The job switch to SF would set you up for moving back to Boston later at a much higher pay level if you decided you didn't like California. If you don't think you would burn out at 50 hours a week, then that's the direction I'd lead. And honestly, if the work is more interesting, 10 more hours a week isn't going to hurt you as bad.

Have you ever lived or visited SF? It's a very different feel than Boston.

The other main difference, which might not be too problematic if you're a guy and a recent college grad not looking to settle down, are the dating possibilities. I've heard from all my friends in SF that there are very few women available compared to men. Not sure how good/bad it is in Boston, but dating pool is usually one of the other criteria for young workers, so that's something to consider. I'd suggest picking up Richard Florida's Who's Your City from the library to read through and see if you've missed any other important factors in quality of life. But yeah, don't burn bridges in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
55k in Boston is crap and California is way nicer than Massachusetts. Enjoy your new life dude.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
From an hourly perspective adjusted for CoLA you're actually taking a minor pay cut. The hourly comparison may not be entirely valid since most people can't choose to work more to make more or vice versa, but I think it's something to consider. I think the biggest considerations are do you want to move cross country and would the move benefit your career. From what you've given the answer to the second question is yes, so really it comes down to if you want to move across the country which is more a personal decision. Also highly recommend that you negotiate if you decide to take the job.

Just for reference, I moved from the Pacific NW to DMV a few years ago. It's tough moving to a new place with no support network, but you can always meet new people, make new friends, etc and I love my new job so it worked out great.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks guys. I'd definitely be burning bridges at my current job, but I don't really mind doing that if it means I've got a better opportunity elsewhere. I've visited SF twice, very different than Boston. I guess I'm most worried about housing cause the job is in the Palo Alto area and the housing market just seems absolutely nuts. More than anything though, I figure now is the time (just out of college) where I can take this kind of risk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you be burning bridges? Unless you've only worked there for like a month or something, just be nice and professional in your resignation and they'd probably be happy to have you back in a few years in a better position, if you decided to come back.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Soon I'm going to start working with a friend who has a small start-up business (but growing rapidly), problem is I will start with a commission-based salary for now, and while the average amount of this commissions are not bad (20-25k USD minimum, probably more) the problem is there probably won't be any for the next five or six months. This scheme will probably be upgraded with a weekly/monthly wage in the future.

The thing is this kind of job doesn't offer me any safety for me, and my family (who has helped me every time doesn't like it and don't think that anything beyond a regular monthly wage is viable. In fact, some relatives of mine have arranged a job interview in a month for me (without saying me poo poo until now) in a lawyers buffet specialized in insurance. Don't know yet how much they would offer but considering I have literally zero experience at that I'm willing to bet not much, they like my profile and the boss said I've a 90% chance of getting the job, but I believe nothing. On the other hand, I hate insurance law with a passion and I'm pretty sure that If I take that job, I will mentally die in four years top.

And completely unrelated, an airline company called me for an interview for flight attendant positions (who the gently caress gave them my resume?) which is really odd because I'm ugly as gently caress. Of course I will go, even if it's only to satisfy my curiosity. It will be sad and fun.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

C-Euro posted:

I feel like there are a few threads where I could post this, but this one gets the most traffic so please just direct me to the proper thread if this isn't it.

After graduating with a Master's degree in Chemistry last June, I started my first post-school job last September in a QC analyst position with a food chemistry company in the Midwest. Given the degrees or even attitudes of other people in my department I'm hitting below my educational weight class (and hitting way below on pay but that's a whole different post), but I took the job because I really enjoy food chemistry and see it as a way to break in to the industry, and I don't have a problem putting in the work to "prove my worth" somewhere or to someone. They also came to me at a really low point in my life so I'll go ahead and say I was a little desperate for any work, but at the same time I got the impression that they were a great company to work for and talking to other area professionals they all say "Oh you work for X? That's a really good thing they've got going on there"

Later this month I'm coming up on my first-ever mid-year performance review with my manager, and most of the review is supposed to be focused on employee development and career planning 3-5 years out. What's the best way to have this discussion with my boss if my immediate career plan is "get the hell out of this department and onto a title and payscale that I deserve, preferably but not necessarily here"? Lately, I've been feeling more and more over-qualified for my position to the point of almost being bored most days. I don't really feel like I need my degree to do the job well, much less a Master's, though this is something most of us in the department lament (most have Bachelor's in chem or bio but only a couple of us have graduate degrees). There are other formulation or R&D positions in the company that do interest me, but I'm not eligible to changes positions internally until February and even then there's no guarantee that a position will open up right away. That said I do want my career path to go more into the wet chemistry/synthesis/design side of industrial chemistry, rather than just checking other people's stuff, so I'm trying to learn more about those positions from people in other departments here.

I also know that my current supervisor respects the hell out of me and I know how grateful he is that I'm in the lab performing at a consistent, high level, so I don't want to burn that bridge even a little bit. And I have an appreciable amount of loyalty to my boss/the company for hiring me when things in my life were as bad as they were, and while I get that I should be loyal to myself first that might make me hesitant to change companies if it's necessary. In the nine months I've been here I've had four different people in four different departments tell me something along the lines of "why are you here, you could be doing better than this", but I'm looking for a diplomatic way to tell my manager these feelings. I'm probably over-cautious because it's my first time through reviews like this, but any advice?

E: Forgot to mention that while I enjoy food chemistry, I was exposed to enough different types of chemistry in grad school (and it's all still somewhat fresh in my memory) that I could move to a different field without too many growing pains. And if I do stay in food chem but want to look elsewhere, there are lots of food-related companies in my area and incest between them is fairly common.
I apologize for quoting an old post, but it's perfectly acceptable to tell your manager that you see yourself as more of an R&D guy. Tell your manager that you're absolutely committed to being the best employee for him while you're there, but that you want to be on the innovation side of things. In the mean time, with your supervisor's approval, spend some time figuring out how the other departments work. Hang out in R&D and ask them questions. Build rapport. Demonstrate that you can figure things out.

One of the guys at my company took a job in QA, but totally has an R&D mindset. After 3 months on the job, two other manager and myself wanted to poach him for our teams in R&D. And his manager was totally cool with it, because he knew that the guy was going to be in R&D either here or somewhere else.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I'm really stoked that this is here because I have some job questions. I've been in sales since I finished college, and my company basically turned me from someone completely green to a top 10% on my division (roughly 600 people) salesman. I made a good living as a sales person, I bought a home at a very young age and lived it up, but the constant stress eventually got to me and I asked for a way out. I made a lateral move into pre-sales support and I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

I now have a much higher base salary, but I no longer make commission, and if we assume my former sales continued at a 15%a month rate ( about what I averaged) in gross profit for my company, I basically took a 20k pay cut for my new job.

Are there any sales support folks out there who can tell me what industry standard pay/raises are like? Thanks!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm an active duty sailor stationed north of Seattle with a technical job. I do routine maintenance/alignments/troubleshooting with analog and digital electronics in addition to operating an air/surface search/track radar. I'll be separating from the service in a year.

I want to stay in Seattle, but I'm not sure if I should use my experience or use my GI bill and go to school full-time. I don't mind working with electronics but I'm also not wild about it, and I'm not entirely sure how competent I really am. I know there are jobs out there through defense contractors but I don't want to go anywhere near a military installation ever again.

I'm currently an E-5, between my base pay and my housing allowance I make $44,000 a year.

In terms of my actual interests/passions, I'd like to get involved with public health so my actual work experience seems pretty irrelevant.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The GI bill, from what I understand of lurking GIP, is basically the best employment benefit ever given anyone. They pay your tuition and you get paid to go to school.

It's your life, but I'd be all over that. Go to college for four years, figure yourself out. Get a degree in electrical engineering or English or whatever - it's not like you're paying for it - then build yourself a career based on that. Or get some votech training.

There's also a bunch of state based benefits you can claim as a veteran, so my advice would be to milk the ever loving poo poo out of that and the GI bill. You'll have way better opportunities with a formal degree or certification in your pocket.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Frozen Vent is right - Elderbean, you're incredibly fortunate to have these options, I say that not to diminish the hard work you put in to get where you are.

Start saving your pennies now. Make a budget if you don't have one. Go to college and try some different stuff. Try stuff you might not think you'll like. I would never have guessed I'd enjoy accounting before I had to take an accounting class.

Find a place (or several) to volunteer. I don't know what kind of "public health" stuff you want to do, but in undergrad I volunteered a charity that helped torture-survivor asylum seekers. Places like that can always use help, so it'd be easy to get experience and see if it's something you want to do long-term. It's also a great way to make a real difference.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh yeah, absolutely volunteer. My eventual career stemmed from a volunteer job I had when I was sixteen.

College campuses are teeming with volunteer opportunities. I wouldn't generally tell people to go to college to find themselves, owing to tuition, but you've already got that covered.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Hi, I'm a graduate student in history who has become increasingly disillusioned with the academic world and I'm unsure whether I can hack it in the K-12 teaching world or not. I am considering getting a certificate and career in technical writing in order to put at least some of my educational skills to good use. I really don't want to have to pay a ton more for my education if I can help it since I'm already doing an unfunded MA. Is there any way to get a certificate through community colleges or cheaper yet reputable online programs? Another concern of mine is the current job market for writers; nearly all the positions I've gone through on Dice require at least three years experience. A few people have suggested unpaid internships, but gently caress that. Any advice from those in the field or at least in the know. If it makes any difference, I have a number of published papers and academic conferences under my belt.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 1, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am having a hard time breaking into the analyst level position. I was offered one in data governance last year at my present company but since then top management has been replaced and the VP who wanted me to work on his team has left for another company. It could be weakness at the undergrad level; I didn't major in business but in political science and sociology. However, I've been working in financial services now for 2 years at the back office. Do I pretty much need to go back for a MBA to reach that level in corporate America?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know, but have you tried talking to your old VP? He might have something at the new place, and this is exactly why I try to keep in touch with my previous managers.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I have a rather general question: what sort of jobs should I be looking for?

I've worked for University labs for 5 years, the last 2 years of which I was a lab manager (in a biology/microscopy lab) and managed to get several papers published. I have a master's degree in physics and I can do less-than-intermediate programming. I've been hunting for jobs but beyond actual microscope companies, I don't have a great idea of who would actually want to hire me. Lots of places want programmers, but they want someone who has experience I just don't have. My technical background isn't bad, but I can't compete with an engineer. Finding another lab manager position has been incredibly difficult, and it wasn't even a good job anyway (60 hours a week for very little pay). I kind of feel screwed, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Dr Strangepants posted:

I have a rather general question: what sort of jobs should I be looking for?

I've worked for University labs for 5 years, the last 2 years of which I was a lab manager (in a biology/microscopy lab) and managed to get several papers published. I have a master's degree in physics and I can do less-than-intermediate programming. I've been hunting for jobs but beyond actual microscope companies, I don't have a great idea of who would actually want to hire me. Lots of places want programmers, but they want someone who has experience I just don't have. My technical background isn't bad, but I can't compete with an engineer. Finding another lab manager position has been incredibly difficult, and it wasn't even a good job anyway (60 hours a week for very little pay). I kind of feel screwed, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can answer most of the questions on this site https://www.interviewcake.com/?utm_source=hired&utm_campaign=survey

A Jr. Software Engineering role should be somewhat easy to land.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I think I could use some help similar to the last few posts. I've worked for the past 2+ years in academia as a research assistant/project coordinator, but I'm looking to get out because my time here has left me disillusioned. My problem now is that I don't really know what sort of positions I should be applying for.

I've found my niche here in managing our databases and doing some basic programming, and while I feel that I'm the best here at it, I don't feel confident in my abilities whatsoever in terms of what other companies may expect. To give a bit of backstory: we have a few different databases built in MS Access by a programmer who literally does not double-click anything or know any keyboard shortcuts. She does not know how to install/uninstall programs. On top of that, she is only in the office maybe 1 day a week. I feel this speaks volumes, and it goes without saying that I've had to pick up the slack by learning a modest amount of VBA and SQL so that I could create/fix the queries we need to run this study without crashing to the ground.

I'm thinking that I would like to continue in some sort of data analyst role but I have no formal training and no benchmark to know where my skills should be at, or even what's considered "entry level." Is there a way that I can test myself to see any deficiencies?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Microsoft and Oracle both have SQL certifications. You could try a practice test to see how your skills stack up. SQL proficiency is great to have and if you add a few more semi relevant skills you should be a solid candidate on paper.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I appreciate the responses!

Rudest Buddhist posted:

If you can answer most of the questions on this site https://www.interviewcake.com/?utm_source=hired&utm_campaign=survey

A Jr. Software Engineering role should be somewhat easy to land.

I'm not quite there yet - mostly because I'm (hastily) self taught so I don't have a great eye for efficiency. Taking a class or picking up a book might catch me up quickly. I'll look around for recommendations - but let me know if you have any, thanks!

MrKatharsis posted:

Microsoft and Oracle both have SQL certifications. You could try a practice test to see how your skills stack up. SQL proficiency is great to have and if you add a few more semi relevant skills you should be a solid candidate on paper.

I took a short online intro course to SQL and it was kind of neat. If it takes a few months of studying SQL to to get employment I'll loving do it.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr Strangepants posted:

I'm not quite there yet - mostly because I'm (hastily) self taught so I don't have a great eye for efficiency. Taking a class or picking up a book might catch me up quickly. I'll look around for recommendations - but let me know if you have any, thanks!

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ is a really good way to learn the fundamentals you will use in most languages. Plus you can add Python to the resume. Looks there is a ruby version now too http://ruby.learncodethehardway.org/

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum - the good kind, but a conundrum nonetheless.

I work in digital advertising, and the last few years have been pretty great for me. I get to work in a pretty highly visible place in my industry, have a lot of speaking engagements, blog posts, that kind of thing. I've also been promoted three times in two and a half years, and seen decent growth in my salary. However, in the last six months I've garnered a ton of outside interest from other companies - advertising agencies mostly, as well as Microsoft. I've got two outside opportunities with pros/cons to each, and the same can be said of my current position. So I'll break those down:

Current Position:
- Makes roughly $50,000/year located in a college town in the Midwest.
- Fast advancement, lots of visibility, I'm getting experience managing people, that kind of thing.

Agency Position:
- Makes roughly $90,000 - $100,000/year located in Seattle.
- It's a Director-level position, so it would be a step up from my current title.
- The downside? The last person they brought in for this role lasted all of three months. In addition, the President/CEO just stepped down, and their old CEO had to come back in to take the reins. The volatility makes me a little nervous, especially with a cross-country move.
- I also get the impression that, while it *is* a Director-level role, it'd be more "assist the VP who's currently overseeing the department because they won't let it go" situation. It'd also be less visible for me, as the VP casts a wide shadow.

Microsoft Position:
- Makes roughly $100k - $110k/year plus a possible 20% bonus based on goals. Also located in Seattle/Redmond.
- It's a step down in terms of title and visibility - I actually just finished interviewing on-site there for a different role and got declined due to "experience". They followed up wanting to talk about this role as a way of bridging that experience gap. My wounded ego initially took it as a slap in the face, but I'm looking for some outside perspective.
- Basically, the biggest pro is the salary and being able to say I work at MSFT... but at the rate they're cutting through jobs, I don't know if there are any guarantees any more.

So basically, it feels a little bit like I'm trying to cash out for a payday, as growth and responsibilities might be a little more limited in the outside positions. On the other hand, a 100%+ boost in salary would be kind of mindblowing, even taking in to account the cost of living increase from going to a small midwestern town to a major metro area like Seattle.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

monoptic posted:

I work in digital advertising, and the last few years have been pretty great for me. I get to work in a pretty highly visible place in my industry, have a lot of speaking engagements, blog posts, that kind of thing. I've also been promoted three times in two and a half years, and seen decent growth in my salary. However, in the last six months I've garnered a ton of outside interest from other companies - advertising agencies mostly, as well as Microsoft. I've got two outside opportunities with pros/cons to each, and the same can be said of my current position. So I'll break those down:

Yep time to move.

Whichever one you decide to take is going to give you light years of experience and set you up for the rest of your life. MSFT *might* be the safest bet but nothing is ever certain. If you can manage to get ~2.5 years of experience at one of these places your next job hunt is going to be awesome. You won't have to look for work anymore, It will find you.

Enjoy it!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Teeter posted:

I think I could use some help similar to the last few posts. I've worked for the past 2+ years in academia as a research assistant/project coordinator, but I'm looking to get out because my time here has left me disillusioned. My problem now is that I don't really know what sort of positions I should be applying for.

I've found my niche here in managing our databases and doing some basic programming, and while I feel that I'm the best here at it, I don't feel confident in my abilities whatsoever in terms of what other companies may expect. To give a bit of backstory: we have a few different databases built in MS Access by a programmer who literally does not double-click anything or know any keyboard shortcuts. She does not know how to install/uninstall programs. On top of that, she is only in the office maybe 1 day a week. I feel this speaks volumes, and it goes without saying that I've had to pick up the slack by learning a modest amount of VBA and SQL so that I could create/fix the queries we need to run this study without crashing to the ground.

I'm thinking that I would like to continue in some sort of data analyst role but I have no formal training and no benchmark to know where my skills should be at, or even what's considered "entry level." Is there a way that I can test myself to see any deficiencies?

How are your Excel skills? Do you know any statistics packages?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Professor Tomtom posted:

I'm really stoked that this is here because I have some job questions. I've been in sales since I finished college, and my company basically turned me from someone completely green to a top 10% on my division (roughly 600 people) salesman. I made a good living as a sales person, I bought a home at a very young age and lived it up, but the constant stress eventually got to me and I asked for a way out. I made a lateral move into pre-sales support and I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

I now have a much higher base salary, but I no longer make commission, and if we assume my former sales continued at a 15%a month rate ( about what I averaged) in gross profit for my company, I basically took a 20k pay cut for my new job.

Are there any sales support folks out there who can tell me what industry standard pay/raises are like? Thanks!

I didn't see anyone else take this so I will chime in. Presales and sales are pretty different roles. Since you did the sales gig, you have the advantage of understand what sales people at your company need to be successful. If you can get on board and help the sales team sell a ton of teapots, you can do very well.

As for raises, I think industry and location have a lot to do with how that happens. I have personally given people 20k raises, but those people already made low six figures and a 10-15% raise doesn't sound the same as OMG twenty thousand loving dollars. Still really good though, and I have seen others make 20k over a couple of raises.

If you are in Presales and don't have some kind of bonus attached to sales attainment (different from straight up commission), you are doing it wrong and need to do Presales elsewhere. In my industry and location 30-40% bonus on top of a higher base than sales is typical. If you had a 30% incentive on top of your base would you still be making less money?

:siren: In other news:siren: I gave notice today and will be able to post here about my career advancement. Super excited about what I am doing next.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

monoptic posted:

Current Position:
- Makes roughly $50,000/year located in a college town in the Midwest.
- Fast advancement, lots of visibility, I'm getting experience managing people, that kind of thing.

Agency Position:
- Makes roughly $90,000 - $100,000/year located in Seattle.
- It's a Director-level position, so it would be a step up from my current title.
- The downside? The last person they brought in for this role lasted all of three months. In addition, the President/CEO just stepped down, and their old CEO had to come back in to take the reins. The volatility makes me a little nervous, especially with a cross-country move.
- I also get the impression that, while it *is* a Director-level role, it'd be more "assist the VP who's currently overseeing the department because they won't let it go" situation. It'd also be less visible for me, as the VP casts a wide shadow.

Microsoft Position:
- Makes roughly $100k - $110k/year plus a possible 20% bonus based on goals. Also located in Seattle/Redmond.
- It's a step down in terms of title and visibility - I actually just finished interviewing on-site there for a different role and got declined due to "experience". They followed up wanting to talk about this role as a way of bridging that experience gap. My wounded ego initially took it as a slap in the face, but I'm looking for some outside perspective.
- Basically, the biggest pro is the salary and being able to say I work at MSFT... but at the rate they're cutting through jobs, I don't know if there are any guarantees any more.

So basically, it feels a little bit like I'm trying to cash out for a payday, as growth and responsibilities might be a little more limited in the outside positions. On the other hand, a 100%+ boost in salary would be kind of mindblowing, even taking in to account the cost of living increase from going to a small midwestern town to a major metro area like Seattle.

I don't know how old you are, but doubling your salary will be huge for you if you're young and smart with your money. If you make $50k now, keep living the same lifestyle, take the $100k salary, and start banking it. Learn how to invest etc. Go play with a financial calculator and see what that extra $30k a year (after tax) can do for you in the long run. Also, I have a friend in digital advertising and $50k is hot garbage. Based on what he's told me (and his personal salary history) the pay starts off very low, but once you prove yourself, it jumps very quickly. He started at $20k and now makes around $140k. The thing is, your current employer never wants to give you that big raise, so you have to leave to get the money. It sounds like you've proven yourself, and it's probably expected that you'll make a jump.

As for the job roles, you may be over thinking that. No one outside of your company is *really* going to know what you did there. It's time to move on. You need to go get that money, and then later if you decide you want to come back, or find an expanded role, you can do that. I've known a few people who stayed at a job despite a higher paying option because REASONS, and they've all regret it. It's not romantic, but the money matters. And like you said, being able to put Microsoft on that CV has value in itself. I work for a well known defense contractor in a highly technical role, and it's like instant respect in my industry.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I could use some advice on my long-term career path, in particular which particular masters would be best to pursue to help me achieve my long-term career goals.

My current job is an all-purpose IT/project manager, and I end up doing a lot of different things from day-to-day or month-to-month, but the gist of it is that I manage the development a very niche software product for use by a few thousand customers of my company, which entails working with the contractor developers and overseeing the testing and support of the software internally. Another way to put it is that I'm a project manager with one big project that never changes. I was promoted to my current role a little more than a year ago, and this is basically the job I imagined myself doing while I was in college.

I enjoy my job immensely, and don't have any desire to leave it, but I work for a small company and won't be able to move up any further, as I'm already in the highest level technical position in the company. I am fortunate in that my company is part of a larger group of companies centered around where I live, so I'll have opportunity for advancement, but it won't be something that I can just grow into organically like my current role.

My current plan is to stay at my job for a few more years, and get a masters degree either online or via a nights-and-weekends program from a local university. I'm in a position in my life where I feel that now is the best time to go back for my masters, as I'm ready both financially and intellectually, and feel that I have the time to devote to doing it, but I'm a bit stumped on which masters would be best for my specific situation.

I've been doing some research online and ideally, I'd like to move to a solutions architect role as my next career step, as that job description sounds absolutely fascinating, and would give depth to my knowledge-base, which is pretty wide, but not very deep. I feel like I'm going to need a masters for that, since my current role only gives me experience in our very particular software environment, with no real opportunity to broaden my knowledge-base. Beyond that, I want to keep moving up the corporate ladder, and Chief Information Officer is my pie-in-the-sky, capstone-of-a-career job.

With those short and long-term goals in mind, what do you all think would be best?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm at an exciting point in my career and I'm looking for some advice. I'd really appreciate any insight you can give.

So, here's the low down of the past two years. I graduated with a master's degree in the humanities and was gung-ho on an academic career.

Well, that didn't work out. I wasn't cut out to spend that many hours working for a small stipend, and then thrown into a competitive pool with people who were far more dedicated than me.

I managed to wangle my way onto a graduate programme with a sales team, writing their business proposals. I've received an internal promotion and I'm making OK money for my age, but writing proposals ain't my end goal. I'd like to work in marketing and communications, and I've been boning up on as many books on the topics and steaming through Lynda courses on online marketing.

And I've taken some proposals to my boss about how I could bring this benefit to the organisation. He's been one of my biggest advocates, and he's just managed to get sign off for me to do this project for B2B marketing in the organisation.

We're a foodservice company, specialising in workplace catering. I'd be in charge of communicating the brand's messaging to prospective clients and improving the image of the brand. We have some amazing clients, so I've got some good source material to work with.

As you can tell, this is pretty loving fluffy. I've been given free reign to invent a role, job title and all. Part of this job will include a budget for working with an agency and managing that work.

I'm looking to get prepared because I feel that I'm surrounded by a lot of people who really aren't prepared and they've let me take on this new magic role without a structure.

How can I use this opportunity to my best advantage?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Figured I'd post this here since I'm at a dead end of what to do.

Got out of college roughly a year and a half ago with an accounting degree with a lovely GPA and nothing to do with that field, found insurance more interesting. Got a job with a health insurance company doing underwriting for group insurance that was in the process regionalizing all their underwriting departments and hiring fresh staff, was aiming more for property and auto but I'll take it. First year I come out swinging. I hear nothing but positive feedback from all departments and I'm more or less untouchable, excellent year end review and evaluation that I'm almost certain nobody else in the department got.

Fast forward to 2014, new manager as the interim one was from the main office and just making sure the transition is smooth. By around march there's massive turnover, everybody is getting twice the workload they usually get and I seem to be the only one who can keep up and at one point I'm about 3 days behind in terms of work, everybody else is 2 weeks behind. For about a month and a half I was waking up and wondering if that day was the day I'd just walk off the job. Things finally level out by around the midyear review, again I get really positive feedback. I ask what needs to be done to be promoted to the next level up. Manager basically says I'm more or less performing at that level and leaves it vague as to what needs to be done. Some time later I follow up with a bit more pressure and get the same answer plus "It wouldn't be fair on a national level if you get promoted so quickly", she assures me that they're talking about it and that the regional director is going to schedule a chat with me, this was around 3 weeks ago.

I'm kind of stuck with what to do to move forward, I've been knocking on other departments doors asking if they want me since around the midyear review. The answer always comes back: "You're great, but we've got somebody with more experience. We want you down the road though so keep doing what you're doing". I have a feeling there's nothing on the horizon and I'm not really getting rewarded for my efforts, I'm finding it difficult to keep putting in alot of effort when I'm being paid the same as everybody else I think are just phoning it in. It seems like my manager really isn't advocating for me and there is alot of talk but nothing to show for it. Should I go and talk to the department director?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Got out of college roughly a year and a half ago with an accounting degree with a lovely GPA and nothing to do with that field, found insurance more interesting. Got a job with a health insurance company doing underwriting for group insurance that was in the process regionalizing all their underwriting departments and hiring fresh staff, was aiming more for property and auto but I'll take it. First year I come out swinging. I hear nothing but positive feedback from all departments and I'm more or less untouchable, excellent year end review and evaluation that I'm almost certain nobody else in the department got.

Fast forward to 2014, new manager as the interim one was from the main office and just making sure the transition is smooth. By around march there's massive turnover, everybody is getting twice the workload they usually get and I seem to be the only one who can keep up and at one point I'm about 3 days behind in terms of work, everybody else is 2 weeks behind. For about a month and a half I was waking up and wondering if that day was the day I'd just walk off the job. Things finally level out by around the midyear review, again I get really positive feedback. I ask what needs to be done to be promoted to the next level up. Manager basically says I'm more or less performing at that level and leaves it vague as to what needs to be done. Some time later I follow up with a bit more pressure and get the same answer plus "It wouldn't be fair on a national level if you get promoted so quickly", she assures me that they're talking about it and that the regional director is going to schedule a chat with me, this was around 3 weeks ago.

I'm kind of stuck with what to do to move forward, I've been knocking on other departments doors asking if they want me since around the midyear review. The answer always comes back: "You're great, but we've got somebody with more experience. We want you down the road though so keep doing what you're doing". I have a feeling there's nothing on the horizon and I'm not really getting rewarded for my efforts, I'm finding it difficult to keep putting in alot of effort when I'm being paid the same as everybody else I think are just phoning it in. It seems like my manager really isn't advocating for me and there is alot of talk but nothing to show for it. Should I go and talk to the department director?

What is your job history/career experience before this job? How I answer this might depend on your other background and experience. If you were fresh out of school and effectively have a year and a half of experience, you have some resume building to do and don't want to necessarily blow up your boss to their boss. If you have experience and background then maybe there are different levers you can pull.

Regardless it would be good if you could quantify your contributions to the business, any metrics or measurements in which you can prove you performed above level, etc. Simply stating that you did more work than your peers sounds like whinging. Stating that you did 25 widgets an hour with no errors and the benchmark for the next level is 20 sounds a lot better.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

It's odd that you'd phrase your situation as being at a dead end. A year and a half of experience still qualifies you firmly as an entry level employee.

Quite frankly, the reason other managers don't want to hire you is because they're worried you'll do exactly what you're doing right now. No one wants to take a chance on a new hire who might burn out in a year or two or even worse, get pissed off when their brilliance isn't immediately recognized and cause trouble.

I know it's exactly what you don't want to hear, but you probably should grind out a few more years of experience and then change companies to get paid more money.

I really don't intend to be mean, but think about it from your boss's perspective and your coworkers perspective. You need to deal with the fact that just about everyone in America thinks they work harder than their coworkers and their boss is incompetent for not recognizing their talents. Your new boss is probably sick of dealing with it, even if you are a precious snowflake and you really are that awesome.

Why don't you do what the other managers are telling you to do? It's excellent advice. Suck it up and build more experience. Once you're at the 3 or 4 year point, switch jobs or companies and get more money. If you're really unhappy, start looking for new jobs outside your company. That's the most likely way to get a decent promtion.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I have a career path question:

I'm currently a QA Engineer, and have 6 months at my current job. At my previous job, which was Software Development/QA, I had about 8 months of experience. Today I received an offer for a series of interviews with Prospective Employer to do QA at their Seattle offices on their local division. I'm conflicted on whether or not to go through with their interview process (I have valuable skills in automation testing, test case writing, SQL knowledge, and some others) when I've been at my current job for less than a year. I don't have even a consecutive year anywhere in my work history at a "real" job, because I would get a better offer elsewhere (more money, more benefits, more vacation time, etc). If Prospective Employer makes me an offer I think is good enough to move from Atlanta to Washington for, should I take it? I'm worried that, even though I'd be getting an immediate benefit from the increased compensation, I'll be setting myself up for long term career trouble from my work history.

Any thoughts, goons?

Edit: More information: I am 24, have a BA in History (lol), currently make mid-$40,000 salary with insurance, PTO, vacation time, and sick leave.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 16, 2014

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I'm currently a QA Engineer, and have 6 months at my current job. At my previous job, which was Software Development/QA, I had about 8 months of experience. Today I received an offer for a series of interviews with Amazon to do QA at their Seattle offices on their Amazon Local division. I'm conflicted on whether or not to go through with their interview process (I have valuable skills in automation testing, test case writing, SQL knowledge, and some others) when I've been at my current job for less than a year. I don't have even a consecutive year anywhere in my work history at a "real" job, because I would get a better offer elsewhere (more money, more benefits, more vacation time, etc). If Amazon makes me an offer I think is good enough to move from Atlanta to Washington for, should I take it? I'm worried that, even though I'd be getting an immediate benefit from the increased compensation, I'll be setting myself up for long term career trouble from my work history.

Any thoughts, goons?

Edit: More information: I am 24, have a BA in History (lol), currently make mid-$40,000 salary with insurance, PTO, vacation time, and sick leave.
There's no harm in interviewing. FWIW, I pay $65k for entry level SW QAs in DC scaling up to $110k at the 4 year point in DC. Changing jobs frequently isn't an issue unless you find yourself with ten years of work with no more than a year at any place. Don't sweat it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

HonorableTB posted:

I'm currently a QA Engineer, and have 6 months at my current job. At my previous job, which was Software Development/QA, I had about 8 months of experience. Today I received an offer for a series of interviews with Amazon to do QA at their Seattle offices on their Amazon Local division. I'm conflicted on whether or not to go through with their interview process (I have valuable skills in automation testing, test case writing, SQL knowledge, and some others) when I've been at my current job for less than a year. I don't have even a consecutive year anywhere in my work history at a "real" job, because I would get a better offer elsewhere (more money, more benefits, more vacation time, etc). If Amazon makes me an offer I think is good enough to move from Atlanta to Washington for, should I take it? I'm worried that, even though I'd be getting an immediate benefit from the increased compensationu, I'll be setting myself up for long term career trouble from my work history.

Any thoughts, goons?

Considering your pay would likely double and Seattle is a million times better than Atlanta, you should absolutely try for it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

swenblack posted:

It's odd that you'd phrase your situation as being at a dead end. A year and a half of experience still qualifies you firmly as an entry level employee.

Quite frankly, the reason other managers don't want to hire you is because they're worried you'll do exactly what you're doing right now. No one wants to take a chance on a new hire who might burn out in a year or two or even worse, get pissed off when their brilliance isn't immediately recognized and cause trouble.

I know it's exactly what you don't want to hear, but you probably should grind out a few more years of experience and then change companies to get paid more money.

If he can get a good offer now, he should take it. Look at the research about how people increase their salary. It's always by company jumping.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I passed my first interview with Prospective Employer :unsmith:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 16, 2014

Dreamer101
Feb 10, 2014
In search of advice any comments welcomed.
I graduated with BA in Business Admin in Dec 2012. I had then moved out of state and found a job as entry level in oil field company as a secretary. I thought of it as a stepping stone and would be able to advance to ideally HR department. It's been a year since I started and no path way of HR. I recently been seeking advice from the HR dept and they give me candid responses of making sure I update my career path on the net, even though it has been updated. I was informed about another position at different location and would basically be a lateral move but would have more structure in pathway to some advancement in materials management department. The HR dept has frowned upon this since I would be moving into another segment of the company. However, I feel like there would be more visibility to more managers, HR, etc. Also the more experience would be good versus copying papers and feeling like I could do so much more. It would be similar tasks with office tasks and some forklift, which I have no experience in.
Would it be worth a shot to try a different path to try to get noticed more and possibly find what I ultimately want to do as career?

My location is mostly men and small office personnel. It's supposed to be expanding in a year or so. I just don't think there will be HR for awhile there since it's in a remote location and overlooked. Other issues of sexual harassment has also arose from my boss. I feel obligated to report it to HR to try to improve the work environment. However, I think it will be extremely hard and they will find out that I had reported it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Dreamer101 posted:

My location is mostly men and small office personnel. It's supposed to be expanding in a year or so. I just don't think there will be HR for awhile there since it's in a remote location and overlooked. Other issues of sexual harassment has also arose from my boss. I feel obligated to report it to HR to try to improve the work environment. However, I think it will be extremely hard and they will find out that I had reported it.
Start looking for a new job externally. You're in a dead-end (position wise) and you don't know how the company and HR are going to treat you when you report the sexual harassment. They might handle it perfectly but you still won't have any career progression. Alternatively, they might side with your boss and make your life miserable.

Then report your boss once you leave.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

In search of advice any comments welcomed.
Other issues of sexual harassment has also arose from my boss. I feel obligated to report it to HR to try to improve the work environment. However, I think it will be extremely hard and they will find out that I had reported it.

Find a copy of the official HR Policy on sexual harassment and non-retaliation. Print it out. Have a discussion with HR and make sure they are aware that you know the policy.

If the policy sucks and the company won't protect you, get the gently caress out of dodge. If the policy is reasonable and protects you and prevents any kind of retaliation, it is your duty to report it. If you report it and anything further bad happens, well that's a different thread.

I have had more than one female who works for me have sexual harassment kinds of things happen (not from me of course and nobody who worked for me), and my company was awesome about handling things, but then because it was reported and the appropriate steps were taken. Heck, if it's a big company and what happened was serious or ongoing, they may very well offer to move you out of that situation and towards what you want.

But seriously, so long as there is an official policy of non retaliation you should report it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

So a couple of brokers at the Manhattan real estate company I work for have informally approached me about becoming their assistant. I'm currently a 27 year old admin, making a decent salary with great benefits (full medical, dental, 401k, free transit pass that ends up being about 1500 a year) and I can't for the life of me find out from any of the other assistants what to expect out of a contract with a broker. I want to work with these guys because they're both super chill, friendly people who do a decent amount of business, but I don't want to take on a lot more responsibility and hours just to make the same amount or less after factoring in the lost benefits. The other factor is that this is the path a lot of people take to eventually becoming a full time broker themselves, but that's years and years down the road and I'm not sure if it's something I really want for myself. Anybody have any insight into this? Should I just aggressively negotiate with them since I don't have my heart set on making this move?