Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
High five Beadrider buddy.

This thing is swank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Cycle Asylum: The beads are for your rear end.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does a beadrider allow your butt to slide laterally?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Only if you want it to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone needs to stick a beadrider onto a sumo.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Or get a mesh seat cover.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It will definitely let you slide your hiney around a lot more than you might expect. It took a little getting used to.

It's been mid-high 80s all this week, and I think they're definitely good for some airflow in the crotchal and assal regions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bled the brakes. Yep, that was the problem! Both the front and back lever feel good and firm now and the bike's back to stopping on a dime. Hooray!

Also installed the speed bleeders at this time. drat does that ever simplify the job! As long as you don't have toooo much air in the system, anyway -- I squirted too much fluid out at first before installing the speed bleeder, and turns out if you have a large bubble in the system you simply can't build up enough pressure to open the check valve and let it out, so you have to bleed that one out the normal way. Now that they're installed though goddamn is this much easier. I wonder why bikes don't come with these installed by default? I think I paid $13 for the front and back together...

Also oiled the chain and adjusted the tension, other generic maintenance, yada yada.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder why bikes don't come with these installed by default?

To drum up business for service departments.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rode home from the BMWMOA rally, about 2800 miles round trip through VT, NY, ON, MI, WI, MN and back. Won an award for oldest bike ridden to rally.

Had a few minor problems on the way. Luggage kinda broke off, that was my fault. Electrics went out-ish a few times, that turned out to be the screw terminals on the generator loosening up. Clutch had a dragging issue once which went away that I never figured out. Spark plugs fouled up once. Burned or leaked about 3 quarts of oil on the way. It has a lot of blow-by, needs a new top end. Mirrors had to be tightened 2-3 times. Replaced the rear tire. Some bolts fell off the hinged rear fender after the tire change, that was my fault again. Had a little gas leak at the petcock that seemed to go away on its own. Ran out of gas about a quarter mile from a gas station once. Actually a "gas bar" as they call it in Canada. It sounds more fun than a gas station but it's not any more fun. And every Canadian credit card reader was like ERROR CANNOT PROCESS ANTIQUE AMERICAN MAGNETIC STRIP CARDS. And then it processed it but it just wanted to tell me my card sucked first.

You can tell it's a BMW rally, just look at how precisely they're all parked.

Just LOOK

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Still more reliable than clutchpuck's buell

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Despite my best efforts it hasn't backed out any fasteners. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And every Canadian credit card reader was like ERROR CANNOT PROCESS ANTIQUE AMERICAN MAGNETIC STRIP CARDS. And then it processed it but it just wanted to tell me my card sucked first.

Ah, I remember when they did that. I hung onto my antique magnetic-strip-only card as long as I possibly could, until one day I went to the bank and the teller said "I'm not giving this back to you, it's not secure any more. We'll mail you a new one with a chip shortly." My credit card had gotten stolen two days before, and despite my pleas, she kept my debit card, so for the next week I had no way of paying for anything besides cash, and no way of getting cash other than actually walking into the bank and signing a withdrawal slip. It was like living in the 1890s :qq:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

There's a surprising number of not-BMWs at the BMWMOA rally.

Also, fuckin' A on riding the old bike all the way around there, you are much bigger of a man than I to attempt that. I'd be paranoid as all hell that something big would happen to the engine (throwing a rod, etc.) and I'd be stranded out there. You got an award for it though, which is great. How comfortable was the bike for that distance?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

Still more reliable than clutchpuck's buell

I chuckled.

Good work Rev that's pretty badass. You've gotten pretty good at the whole bikes thing, next up, get a girlfriend. Too bad you didn't make a vlog it probably woulda been worth watching.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Did my best to scrub off the last of the remaining fork oil from the front right rotor on the FZ6. I still need new pads, but at least I might have more than just one useful rotor now.
Also, ordered a battery/plugs/speed bleeders for it. Pads get to wait another 2wks until next paycheck.

And speed bleeders for the DRZ too. That thing deserves some fresh brake fluid.

e: The blown fork seal has been replaced before anyone calls me a retard for scrubbing off a rotor with a still leaky fork seal :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 3, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You can tell it's a BMW rally, just look at how precisely they're all parked.

Just LOOK
I was going to say it's because some actually brought bike covers with them.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My boss rides a K1200 and covers it at work once it cools down. It makes me feel like a neglectful owner being parked next to his clean, unfaded, covered bike while my filthy,faded, scratched all to poo poo bike sits there dripping oil and chain lube all over the ground.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

filthy,faded, scratched all to poo poo bike

Theft deterrent :madmax:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Coveted parking supremacy. Laziness and mindfulness all in one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ripoff posted:

How comfortable was the bike for that distance?
Not great, not horrible. I had a custom made Kaoko throttle lock which was a godsend.

M42 posted:

Theft deterrent :madmax:
I booked a motel for the rally like a year in advance by just looking on google maps. Turned out to be a fairly lovely motel in a fairly bad neighborhood I think. Bunch of other BMW people were there with nice modern bikes and I woulda been nervous if I were them. A brand new K1600 was parked next to me a couple nights with a half-cover on it. One morning I noticed the BMW/K1600 badge on the side fairing missing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Radbot posted:

Coveted parking

Oh, we have this in San Francisco.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Adjusted the suspension from "small lady" to "fat guy" and then went for a ride with my wife and kid. Great way to spend a morning.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
I dropped it!

Was riding merrily through sandy hook and came into this:

Bike came out fine, bent the rear brake pedal and pushed the exhaust in a little but I rode it home and fixed those right up. Steering is fine, all levers are good, lights still work. I'm extremely glad I decided to take the metal backings out of my signals so instead of cracking the fairing they simply plopped out. My biggest regret is that I wasn't wearing my GoPro. Also thank god for ATGATT, Came out completely unscathed, gear has a few rips but is fine otherwise.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Quote is not edit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oglogoth posted:

I dropped it!

Was riding merrily through sandy hook and came into this:

Bike came out fine, bent the rear brake pedal and pushed the exhaust in a little but I rode it home and fixed those right up. Steering is fine, all levers are good, lights still work. I'm extremely glad I decided to take the metal backings out of my signals so instead of cracking the fairing they simply plopped out. My biggest regret is that I wasn't wearing my GoPro. Also thank god for ATGATT, Came out completely unscathed, gear has a few rips but is fine otherwise.

That's too bad. A good friend of mine had a similar occurrence last year, while doing slightly above highways speeds on a big sweeper, but the worst part was it was a construction crew with no signage whatsoever.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

slidebite posted:

That's too bad. A good friend of mine had a similar occurrence last year, while doing slightly above highways speeds on a big sweeper, but the worst part was it was a construction crew with no signage whatsoever.

Same thing happened to me. Construction crew were working at 10pm at night (what the gently caress), no signage & they had somehow managed to spill oil all over this one sharp turn. So of course, I went down!

Oglogoth: Are the levers cracked? Mine broke about a week or so afterwards because there was a very small crack that I somehow missed.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Odette posted:

Same thing happened to me. Construction crew were working at 10pm at night (what the gently caress), no signage & they had somehow managed to spill oil all over this one sharp turn. So of course, I went down!

Oglogoth: Are the levers cracked? Mine broke about a week or so afterwards because there was a very small crack that I somehow missed.

front brake lever has a scrape on it but doesn't appear to have any cracks. Seems like the exhaust and rear brake lever took the brunt of the damage. I bent the rear back into place and It seems fine but I guess I won't know till next time I ride it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A good reminder to never go around blind turns (any turns, really) faster than your sightlines would allow you to stop. The street isn't a racetrack with turn marshals and brooms sweeping all the junk off all the time. You never know if there's going to be a sand pile or an oil slick or a stopped car or a moose or whatever.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Finally was able to install the stupid used Happy Trails SU rack I bought used. It didn't come with the mounting hardware, took HT a good month to respond to my calls/emails and another month to actually ship it to me. When it finally got here the tabs to move the turn signals weren't in the kit, I had specified I need everything including those tabs, all I had were the racks themselves.
Another month later those get shipped to me.

Finally go to put everything together and another bit that the signal tabs bolt to is missing, luckily a trip to the hardware store for some big washers and some dremeling I can do without those.

Last time I ever deal with Happy Trails, seemed like a nice idea using a US made product for easy/fast support but if this were SW-motech or something I imagine it would have gone a lot faster.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Found golden flakes in my oil drain pan today after a diagnostic oil drop. They weren't frosted.

Helllllooooo new rod bearings and possibly more headaches that I didn't really feel like dealing with. This has been the best summer season in 10+ years and I froze my balls off all god drat winter.

My loving luck.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Synced my throttle valves today. I think of everything I've done to my bike so far this is easily the most noticeable difference. I was hoping that adjusting my exhaust valves would be noticeable but I couldn't really tell after it was done, this made everything feel a lot smoother and the bike's more comfortable to ride. It's an SV650 so it's not like there's no vibration but I think the throttle valves must have badly needed this because there's noticeably less vibration in the seat/pegs now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
After my DRZ's engine seized I replaced it with a 400E engine, which doesn't have a neutral indicator. Without a neutral indicator I can't start the bike while it is on the understand, so today I removed the sidestand kill switch.

I also left my key in the fork lock while moving the bike, so now that is hosed. :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I also left my key in the fork lock while moving the bike, so now that is hosed. :negative:

How does this work? I don't really understand what you mean. A steering lock that breaks the key sounds pretty terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
OR a steering lock that can't handle a disgruntled mechanic forcing the forks to turn.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Key sticking out of fork lock (which is unlocked), forks turned, key snapped off?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Key sticking out of fork lock (which is unlocked), forks turned, key snapped off?

Yeah, this. I forgot I left the key in and I moved the forks and bent the key that was in the lock. I hadn't actually locked the bike yet.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Replaced the R/R and went for a ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, this. I forgot I left the key in and I moved the forks and bent the key that was in the lock. I hadn't actually locked the bike yet.

Ok so my mother definitely dropped me on my head when I was a toddler: what is a fork lock? I've been assuming you meant the steering lock you engage with the ignition barrel but clearly this is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Ok so my mother definitely dropped me on my head when I was a toddler: what is a fork lock? I've been assuming you meant the steering lock you engage with the ignition barrel but clearly this is something else.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. It is the lock on the forks so that when I turn the wheel all the way to the left I can lock it in place so that the wheel can't be turned again until I unlock it. A (laughable) anti-theft device. I can take a picture of it when I'm out in a few hours.