Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why did stick grenades (the kind that the Germans and Soviets seemed to like) fall out of use and now we have these weird peanut/grapefruit shaped things?

Production costs, likely. Why shove a dowel on the thing when you can just hurl it like a baseball just as far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Production costs, likely. Why shove a dowel on the thing when you can just hurl it like a baseball just as far?

The stick lets you throw it farther but makes it more annoying to carry, and throwing range wasn't that important after everyone's standard equipment started including rifle grenades, grenade launchers, RPGs, etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently there's a distance/accuracy payoff involved too. It's really easy to throw a stick far, but it's a hell of a lot harder to get it to go through a window a moderate distance away.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Griz posted:

The stick lets you throw it farther but makes it more annoying to carry, and throwing range wasn't that important after everyone's standard equipment started including rifle grenades, grenade launchers, RPGs, etc.

:v: I thought the difference was like 3-4 yards according to British sources

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

The crazy thing for me is the sheer number of what appears to be shell craters. :stare:

Why did stick grenades (the kind that the Germans and Soviets seemed to like) fall out of use and now we have these weird peanut/grapefruit shaped things?

The pineapple grenades are fragmentation grenades that have bits of metal in them and not a ton of explosive charge. The first ones had an obnoxiously large fragmentation radius that was a risk to the thrower, so the charge got smaller over time. The WWI Mills bomb are apparently dangerous out to 300 feet, the modern American M67's is out to 45.

Stick grenades have a big explosive charge at the head, but not much metal to fling out. The Germans invented a sleeve that would add to the fragmentation, but it wasn't standard. They had a more reasonable damage radius, and unlike fragmentation grenades, you could bundle them together 6 at a time to damage tanks and armoured vehicles. You could also theoretically throw them farther, further reducing the chance of self-injury.

As AFVs improved and numerous, so did portable AT weaponry, you don't need six grenades when you have HEAT rockets. Stick grenades are a little cumbersome and awkward to open (You have to unscrew a cap and the fuse falls out from the stick), and didn't really fulfill a niche that a small fragmentation grenade didn't, so they went out the door.

The Soviet stick grenade, the RGD-33, was phased out because it was too complicated and weird. The replacement grenades, the RGD-42 look like tin cans with a popsicle stick stuck in them.

Edit: Also, the main stick grenade producer, Germany, was divided into four occupation zones after the war and was probably banned from making them for at least a while.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
If I rammed a T-34 into a tree (a typical forest tree, not some humonguous sequoia), would it stop me?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The crazy thing for me is the sheer number of what appears to be shell craters. :stare:

4.5 million shells over 2 weeks before the battle even started.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How awkward was the RGD-33 by the way? I remember it had a very awkward animation in some of the games it make an appearince. Can somebody do a break down post about it?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Lichtenstein posted:

If I rammed a T-34 into a tree (a typical forest tree, not some humonguous sequoia), would it stop me?

It would depend on the tree(how big, what kind, and ground composition) and the mass/velocity of your tank.

In general, no. A tree isn't going to stop a tank.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

uPen posted:

4.5 million shells over 2 weeks before the battle even started.

Jesus christ, that really puts things into perspective

SeanBeansShako posted:

How awkward was the RGD-33 by the way? I remember it had a very awkward animation in some of the games it make an appearince. Can somebody do a break down post about it?

"Before use, a locking catch on the handle must be released and a fuse, lasting an average of 4 seconds, was inserted into the top of the can. A good throw could send the grenade 30 to 40 metres. Upon detonation the shells fragment in rectangular, thin fragments, which, along with the casing and detonator fragments, deccelerate rapidly in air. Due to the fragments rapid loss of velocity the kill radius is small, making this grenade an "offensive" type. The fragmentation kill radius was approximately 15 metres with the sleeve and 10 metres without."

Lot of work for little payoff, not to mention the struggle of being in the middle of a fight trying to arm this thing. Certainly not the simple tug pin and toss pineapple

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 5, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm a nuclear war nerd, but does anyone have any declassified plans or at least a general idea of either what the US was targetting or the USSR, or their general preparedness plans?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm a nuclear war nerd, but does anyone have any declassified plans or at least a general idea of either what the US was targetting or the USSR, or their general preparedness plans?

IIRC, This is from a mid-late eighties FEMA brochure.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The pineapple grenades are fragmentation grenades that have bits of metal in them and not a ton of explosive charge. The first ones had an obnoxiously large fragmentation radius that was a risk to the thrower, so the charge got smaller over time. The WWI Mills bomb are apparently dangerous out to 300 feet, the modern American M67's is out to 45.

The Mills bomb is an example of a defensive hand grenade: one best used to clear the immediate vicinity of your trench. You have good cover but they don't, so shrapnel works to your benefit. Stick grenades on the other hand were more of an offensive hand grenade, and for such purpose a grenade which you can throw a long range to reach the enemy trench but which doesn't fling deadly shrapnel back to you works the best. Stick grenade's advantage shows particularly well when lying prone without wanting to rise up, like you would be when assaulting an enemy trench or machinegun nest.

It just turns out that carrying a stick grenade that weighs twice as much and takes three times much space as an egg grenade (not to mention production cost) might make sense in some situations but generally it's better to have twice as many grenades with slightly less range.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Lichtenstein posted:

You might bend the gun barrel, which is why ramming is performed with the gun barrel up (or at least elevated and to the side in an emergency). If you were going fast enough, the crew wouldn't be very happy, but a typical tree can't stop a tank. Reconnaissance reports for armoured units actually include the diameter of the typical tree to see if you can drive straight through a forest without any of this pesky "roads" business.

Edit: video. Those trees don't do so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8PQ3bkfC8&t=240s

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 5, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah, and the advent of rifle grenades/grenade launchers like the m79/m203 kinda did away with the need for a pitcher's arm.

Fun grenade fact; LT Buck Compton of Easy Company fame (Band of Brothers) used to play for the UCLA baseball team. During the assault on Brecourt Manor (where they took out the guns shelling the landing beaches on D-Day) he beaned a running German in the head with a grenade...as it exploded.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

There was a post from another forum that said something along these lines regarding England's targeting plans; basically the Soviets had somehow managed to entirely neutralize the British nuclear thread entirely through the single ABM battery outside Moscow and some other hypothetical capabilities.

Essentially it goes like this:

Fake Edit, found it after 5 minutes:

Irbis from Stardestroyer.net posted:

The Moscow ABM system was far from being marginal. It was (and remains) a very important component.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. The original UK plan in the 1950s was for the V-bomber fleet to attack 200 targets in the Eastern USSR. That was regarded as causing the USSR enough pain to make them think twice. However, by the early 1960s, the Soviet Air Defense system was perceived as having the ability to severely compromise the V-bomber fleet. So, the UK shifted to Polaris, one submarine on station with 16 missiles, each with three warheads. At most, that meant hitting 48 targets, meaning that 152 of the previously assigned targets were now uncovered. Thus, the Soviet Air Defense system had protected those 152 targets without ever firing a shot.

However, when anti-missile systems were installed, they made Polaris vulnerable. So, the British instituted a Polaris Upgrade called Chevaline. This removed one of the three warheads and replaced it with decoys and penetration aids (which didn't work but that's another story) plus targeted all 32 remaining warheads on Moscow in the assumption that one of them would get through (note the numbers there - an anticipated 97 percent kill rate for the ABM system in the presence of decoys etc they thought would work). The reality is that the British target list was now reduced to 1. The combined air defense and anti-missile screens had protected 199 out of the original 200 targets without firing a shot.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Glad to know that in case of nuclear exchanged, I'm not gonna have even a slight survival chance past the opening shots[In Atlanta]. Whats that giant cluster in North Dakota for? Missile silos? Why does the Mexican border get pasted in Texas?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

MrYenko posted:

Well at least my proximity to Ingalls and Keesler would ensure my immediate vaporization.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MrYenko posted:

I'm curious as to why the 500 weapon exchange ignores the missile silos covered in the 2000 weapon strike. The only thing I can think of is that a 500 warhead exchange is meant to kill as many civilians as possible but in a strike 1/4 the size of the other seems to indicate that it would be a limited attack.

e: mostly asking because I'm apparently in a target for the 500 strike but not at all for the 2000.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, and the advent of rifle grenades/grenade launchers like the m79/m203 kinda did away with the need for a pitcher's arm.

Fun grenade fact; LT Buck Compton of Easy Company fame (Band of Brothers) used to play for the UCLA baseball team. During the assault on Brecourt Manor (where they took out the guns shelling the landing beaches on D-Day) he beaned a running German in the head with a grenade...as it exploded.

The best part of that battle was the guy who decided to climb a tree and decided afterwards never to do that again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm curious as to why the 500 weapon exchange ignores the missile silos covered in the 2000 weapon strike. The only thing I can think of is that a 500 warhead exchange is meant to kill as many civilians as possible but in a strike 1/4 the size of the other seems to indicate that it would be a limited attack.

e: mostly asking because I'm apparently in a target for the 500 strike but not at all for the 2000.

Probably because the nature of the 2000 warhead strike would be a first strike. The goal would be to minimize the second strike capability of the US.

A limited 500 warhead engagement would either be a second, retaliatory strike by the USSR -or- a first step nuclear engagement. It's nature in the first case is to do as much damage with the expected remaining Soviet nuclear arms. The second case is to cause as much damage on the civilian population as possible to force a quick end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MA-Horus posted:

Apparently the German had thrown a captured American grenade at him, and he caught it and pitched it back without even thinking. Which makes the whole thing even MORE :psyboom:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Two grenade stories from when I was obsessed with the Pacific island fighting:

One marine talked about the time he and some buddies were trapped behind a wall, unable to go over it because of machine gun fire. The Japanese began tossing grenades over. One of his buddies had been a shortstop in the Cub's minor league system. He began scooping them up like grounders and throwing them back, until the seventh or eighth went off in his hand.

Another Marine, listing the advantages they had over the Japanese, specifically mentioned stronger throwing arms.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MA-Horus posted:

Fun grenade fact; LT Buck Compton of Easy Company fame (Band of Brothers) used to play for the UCLA baseball team.

On the same team as Jackie Robinson, too. And he played football in the Rose Bowl. After the war he turned down a minor league baseball contract and became an LA cop, and then a detective, while getting his law degree at night, and then became a deputy DA and then chief DA. He's the guy who prosecuted Sirhan Sirhan. Then Ronald Reagan appointed him as a state judge.

Buck by Phanatic, on Flickr

He was also a really nice guy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is an example of counter-force vs counter-value targeting, an ongoing argument in nuclear weapons policy. Traditional nuclear doctrine in the US and USSR has been to strike military targets (air bases, missile silos, etc.) to minimize the opposing side's ability to attack. However, shelters, ABM defenses, and hardened silos require many warheads to do this effectively, solid-fueled ICBMs can launch before your missiles get there, and SLBMs may make it impossible to neutralize the enemy's ability to counter-attack. Somebody figured out that if you targeted population centers you could use many fewer warheads (and have less nuclear fallout, etc.) The ethics of targeting civilians in a war when attacking military targets is likely to cause more civilian casualties remains under debate.

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 5, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BurningStone posted:

Two grenade stories from when I was obsessed with the Pacific island fighting:

One marine talked about the time he and some buddies were trapped behind a wall, unable to go over it because of machine gun fire. The Japanese began tossing grenades over. One of his buddies had been a shortstop in the Cub's minor league system. He began scooping them up like grounders and throwing them back, until the seventh or eighth went off in his hand.

Another Marine, listing the advantages they had over the Japanese, specifically mentioned stronger throwing arms.

Although the Japanese also had a strong baseball presence themselves so this assumption I imagine could backfire eventually.. :geno:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

What a rip off, my teachers told me that my town was important enough to get nuked. I would be hosed since it looks like Amherst is important enough to target and that's only like 20 miles south of me, but it's not the same as facing a nuclear fireball head on.

And apparently Burlington is important enough to wipe off the face of the Earth? Never guessed that the Soviets hated hippies that much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCjr sidecar posted:

This is an example of counter-force vs counter-value targeting, an ongoing argument in nuclear weapons policy. Traditional nuclear doctrine in the US and USSR has been to strike military targets (air bases, missile silos, etc.) to minimize the opposing side's ability to attack. However, shelters, ABM defenses, and hardened silos require many warheads to do this effectively, solid-fueled ICBMs can launch before your missiles get there, and SLBMs may make it impossible to neutralize the enemy's ability to counter-attack. Somebody figured out that if you targeted population centers you could use many fewer warheads (and have less nuclear fallout, etc.) The ethics of targeting civilians in a war when attacking military targets is likely to cause more civilian casualties remains under debate.

This. The 2000 warhead scenario is a first strike against military targets. The 500 warhead scenario is the opposite sides last-gasp, likely delivered by SLBMs, and whatever remains of the rest of their forces. It's also a good demonstration of MAD: Even after suffering massive losses to nuclear forces, the defensive side of the conflict could still ensure that it would be a Pyrrhic victory, at best.

Any strikes on US missile fields would be doubly destructive, because it is widely believed that Soviet weapons would be fused to detonate at (or below) ground level, to kill the hardened facilities, which is basically the recipe for massive amounts of radioactive fallout.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Although the Japanese also had a strong baseball presence themselves so this assumption I imagine could backfire eventually.. :geno:

Um, you do realize why the Japanese follow baseball today, right?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Speaking of stick grenades, this dude has two or three but that's not the reason I'm posting this photo:

Chinese militia, 1945.

A close observer will notice that the serpentine is empty, which is of course the smart thing to do until just before you fight. The muzzle's cut off in this photo, but he may have tied his match around it. Or it's tied around the wrist of his off hand, or in any one of a dozen other possible locations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Weren't repeating crossbows still in use at that time in China? Or am I misremembering. It was definitely strikingly late though.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

Speaking of stick grenades, this dude has two or three but that's not the reason I'm posting this photo:

Chinese militia, 1945.

A close observer will notice that the serpentine is empty, which is of course the smart thing to do until just before you fight. The muzzle's cut off in this photo, but he may have tied his match around it. Or it's tied around the wrist of his off hand, or in any one of a dozen other possible locations.

Do you think he's jealous of the guy with the Tommy gun right in front of him, or does the fact he can make his own ammo trump small things like "rate of fire" and "magazine capacity"?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Um, you do realize why the Japanese follow baseball today, right?

Because missionaries brought it over in the late 19th century, and it became a popular university sport in the early 20th with professional leagues by the 1930's?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Koramei posted:

Weren't repeating crossbows still in use at that time in China? Or am I misremembering. It was definitely strikingly late though.

It tends to get brought up that they still used repeating crossbows but the only repeating crossbows I've ever seen are those incredibly crappy ones that'd need to be poison-tipped to cause any appreciable amount of harm. On that note, does anyone know anything about Chinese repeating crossbows?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Don Gato posted:

And apparently Burlington is important enough to wipe off the face of the Earth? Never guessed that the Soviets hated hippies that much.

Air force has some stuff at the airport there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PCjr sidecar posted:

This is an example of counter-force vs counter-value targeting, an ongoing argument in nuclear weapons policy.

I thought that as well, but checking the map closer I see a lot of countervalue targets in the 2000-warhead scenario as well. Granted, there are military targets there as well, but it's still hitting every population center east of the Mississippi. I don't think it's a clear counterforce vs. countervalue split.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

P-Mack posted:

Because missionaries brought it over in the late 19th century, and it became a popular university sport in the early 20th with professional leagues by the 1930's?

huh, I'll be damned. I was under the impression that it was introduced post-war. Color me corrected.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Argas posted:

It tends to get brought up that they still used repeating crossbows but the only repeating crossbows I've ever seen are those incredibly crappy ones that'd need to be poison-tipped to cause any appreciable amount of harm. On that note, does anyone know anything about Chinese repeating crossbows?

They tend to get hyped a lot on television but I'm not aware of any military use of the repeating crossbow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Do you think he's jealous of the guy with the Tommy gun right in front of him, or does the fact he can make his own ammo trump small things like "rate of fire" and "magazine capacity"?
It is difficult to overstate the time that a matchlock musketeer spends fiddling with bullshit. You'll ash on yourself (you'll try not to but you will), it'll go out, you'll relight it, you'll blow on it or spin it around in a circle or loving nurture the thing to keep it going, it'll somehow manage to stub itself out in a pan full of gunpowder, you'll find out that you don't have a lighter even though you thought you did and nobody else does either, etc.

Also, whenever the musketeers next to me fire I count the misfires: the gun'll fail to go off two or three times out of every ten for...some loving reason.

And yeah, the thing is slow. That too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MrYenko posted:

Nice to see the Ruskies would take the time to nuke Lafayette, Indiana of all places.

• Locked thread