Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I think the Refurbished deal on the Wii U's and Wiimotes expired finally, but I could be wrong on that.
It's still going on. $200 for the system+Nintendoland, $25 for wiimote+nunchuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ultigonio posted:

Sounds like something that would fit perfectly into the Q&A section - discussion schedule, relative to Club Nintendo, Nintendo Directs, and Super Smash Brothers.

Speaking of the thread itself, since I'm no longer busy with the GameDev Competition, I'd like to get myself back onto working on the OP. With that in mind, our next order of business is Games, with which I need everyone's help. While I can write a fair number of the Plausible Problems and Possible Positives myself, I'll be requesting assistance with a few specific games. The only Recommended Exclusive I'm unable to comment on is Lego City Undercover, so if y'all argue about what sucks and what's great with that particular game, I can get to arranging the information into concise, relevant chunks. Playtime, replayability, difficulty, variety, quality of graphics and sounds, and anything else you guys can think of. I already know about the load times.

Please please please please notice this post

I can write some words on Lego City Undercover, because I love it, and I've said words about it in this very thread.

What's great: The humor. Lots of references to things you will remember from your childhood, campy humor in general, very self aware. It's a bit like a G-rated Saints Row, or Grand Theft Auto, but with Lego people.

Playtime- nice long game, but not too long, at least to get through the main story.

Replayability- tons. The game has metric poo poo-tons of content. There's absolutely tons and tons of poo poo to collect, vehicles and costumes to unlock, Lego things to build (some functional, some merely aesthetic). You can even replay missions to get a better score.

Difficulty I found to be just about right, but I don't mind my games being a bit easy. I would prefer a game be a bit easy then be frustratingly, ball-bustingly hard.

Great gameplay variety. You go to all kinds of different places, from a construction site, to a prison, and even to a space center. There are tons and tons of vehicles, which you can either "commandeer," since you're a cop, you see. You don't steal. Or you can unlock them, mainly through time trials, and have them for yourself whenever you want.

Graphics and sound- top notch. No complaints. They nailed the art style. It's Lego stuff.

What sucks: mainly the load times. They are really bad. That's the only bad part I can think of though. It's a really fun game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Let's not go steam thread OP levels here though

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I just noticed that capcom put Battle Network on the virtual console

but Battle Network 1 is so bad

but I want to play Battle Network

just put 2 up so I don't buy thissssssss

please capcom

Edit: They only have plans to put up battle chip challenge this month

this is fuuuuuuucked

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 5, 2014

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Silver Falcon posted:

I can write some words on Lego City Undercover, because I love it, and I've said words about it in this very thread.

What's great: The humor. Lots of references to things you will remember from your childhood, campy humor in general, very self aware. It's a bit like a G-rated Saints Row, or Grand Theft Auto, but with Lego people.

Playtime- nice long game, but not too long, at least to get through the main story.

Replayability- tons. The game has metric poo poo-tons of content. There's absolutely tons and tons of poo poo to collect, vehicles and costumes to unlock, Lego things to build (some functional, some merely aesthetic). You can even replay missions to get a better score.

Difficulty I found to be just about right, but I don't mind my games being a bit easy. I would prefer a game be a bit easy then be frustratingly, ball-bustingly hard.

Great gameplay variety. You go to all kinds of different places, from a construction site, to a prison, and even to a space center. There are tons and tons of vehicles, which you can either "commandeer," since you're a cop, you see. You don't steal. Or you can unlock them, mainly through time trials, and have them for yourself whenever you want.

Graphics and sound- top notch. No complaints. They nailed the art style. It's Lego stuff.

What sucks: mainly the load times. They are really bad. That's the only bad part I can think of though. It's a really fun game.

And no local co-op, right? That seems like a pretty major strike against a LEGO game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also you can't play off screen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It should be noted that you kinda have to love LEGO to enjoy Undercover. Maybe it's just me, but I have no real "omg LEGO!" emotions and the game felt kinda dry after awhile.

Then again, I am also the guy who thought Tropical Freeze was meh and Rayman Legends is boring.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Faux Mulder posted:

And no local co-op, right? That seems like a pretty major strike against a LEGO game.

Is it? Sorry, Undercover is the only Lego game I've played. I never noticed.

greatn posted:

Also you can't play off screen.

That's because it uses the Gamepad for stuff besides "mirror the TV."

noirstronaut posted:

It should be noted that you kinda have to love LEGO to enjoy Undercover. Maybe it's just me, but I have no real "omg LEGO!" emotions and the game felt kinda dry after awhile.

Then again, I am also the guy who thought Tropical Freeze was meh and Rayman Legends is boring.

This is true, I suppose, and I was just going to say "But what kid didn't enjoy Lego?!" You, apparently. I'm sorry. :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I just noticed that capcom put Battle Network on the virtual console

but Battle Network 1 is so bad

but I want to play Battle Network

just put 2 up so I don't buy thissssssss

please capcom

Edit: They only have plans to put up battle chip challenge this month

this is fuuuuuuucked

MMBN PSA: Do not buy MMBN1 or Chip Challenge.

they are bad games

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So, no resident evil remake on the wii u...... this decision I just can't comprehend.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom probably thinks that since the Wii U can play Wii games then you could just grab the Wii version of REmake and so they called it a day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Silver Falcon posted:

That's because it uses the Gamepad for stuff besides "mirror the TV."

Its true, but most of the things it's used for, for instance the listening or photo taking type missions, or briefings from your boss, I feel like it would be possible to just swap into that mode instead of having to still have the screen separate from the TV.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

greatn posted:

Its true, but most of the things it's used for, for instance the listening or photo taking type missions, or briefings from your boss, I feel like it would be possible to just swap into that mode instead of having to still have the screen separate from the TV.

This is true, but I also liked having the map there. Helps me not get lost so much.

I dunno, I really liked the way Lego City used the gamepad. But hey, my word on it is not definitive! I'm sure Ultigonio is not just going to take my word as gospel and call it a day. I put down my impressions, and others are free to add to it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, there's no reason they couldn't have had Off-TV play and used it for the map and poo poo when you used the TV. It's not exactly ZombiU.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Right, so I bought my WiiU a couple of days ago, a day after the free-game-with-Mario-Kart-8 deal ended. I ended up buying Wind Waker yesterday anyway. Now, a day later, I'm getting the pop-up offering me a free game download. I'm not complaining (actually, I am, because gently caress, I wasted £22 on a game I could have had free). Out of the remaining games, what's worth getting? I've struck off a couple already (Mario & Sonic, Sonic, Zelda obviously), so I'm left with NSMBU, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NintendoLand, Wii Party U and Monster Hunter.

I'm not looking for something which requires large time investment, so Monster Hunter is probably out. I was vaguely interested in NSMBU but if it's exactly the same as previous NSMB games I don't think it'll hold my interest through yet another game (having played 3D Land, I wasn't incredibly impressed with the essentially identical 3D World). I was also looking at Pikmin. I've never played a Pikmin game before, but watching a few videos it looks... OK, I guess? Keeping track of the Pikmin looks like something I might find more frustrating than fun, especially in those bossfights. Maybe just not my type of game.

The upshot is I can't decide and need someone to sell me on one of them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

they are bad games

Battle Chip Challenge is so cool conceptually and they had pre-made combat mechanics. Why did they make combat automated when combat is the entire appeal of the series? Why did they make this terrible game?

At least they're putting up Megaman X3

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Faux Mulder posted:

Right, so I bought my WiiU a couple of days ago, a day after the free-game-with-Mario-Kart-8 deal ended. I ended up buying Wind Waker yesterday anyway. Now, a day later, I'm getting the pop-up offering me a free game download. I'm not complaining (actually, I am, because gently caress, I wasted £22 on a game I could have had free). Out of the remaining games, what's worth getting? I've struck off a couple already (Mario & Sonic, Sonic, Zelda obviously), so I'm left with NSMBU, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NintendoLand, Wii Party U and Monster Hunter.

I'm not looking for something which requires large time investment, so Monster Hunter is probably out. I was vaguely interested in NSMBU but if it's exactly the same as previous NSMB games I don't think it'll hold my interest through yet another game (having played 3D Land, I wasn't incredibly impressed with the essentially identical 3D World). I was also looking at Pikmin. I've never played a Pikmin game before, but watching a few videos it looks... OK, I guess? Keeping track of the Pikmin looks like something I might find more frustrating than fun, especially in those bossfights. Maybe just not my type of game.

Have you played very far into 3D World? I feel like it's easy to get fooled by the first few worlds in 3D World, because they don't front load the game as is the custom in modern game development. Think of Super Mario World, you don't even get the cape until World 2, you don't get to see a ghost house until halfway through world two. Don't get me wrong, the first couple of worlds are fun, but the set-pieces gradually get more elaborate. I'm sure it's not everybody's thing, it is hands-down my favorite game since the 1990s, though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nintendoland is great if you have people to play it with, but if you're doing single player only you can probably skip it. It's Wii Sports-esque in that you can ask family members/significant others who don't really game "Hey wanna play my new nintendo?" and be having a lot of fun without much fuss. Probably don't want to waste your free game on it though since you can get it for pretty cheap (23 from Amazon).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Artix posted:

Yeah, there's no reason they couldn't have had Off-TV play and used it for the map and poo poo when you used the TV. It's not exactly ZombiU.

You're right. Add that a a con, then. No off-tv play.

Faux Mulder posted:

Best ones on that list are probably Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. Nintendoland is good if you have people to play with you, though. So, ask yourself whether commanding an army of little minions to collect fruit juice for you, or commanding an army of super heroes sounds better to you!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Faux Mulder posted:

I love the hell out of Pikmin 3, and it's one of the only games up there that's still full price, so you'd get the most bang for your buck on it. That said, if you're disinterested in strategy, and the way the combat plays out looks frustrating to you (I myself feel that whistling back pikmin who've been shaken off is part of the tension, and you should aim to not let them get shaken off in the first place), then I wouldn't recommend it. Looking at the options, I'd wager The Wonderful 101 would be your best bet.

Silver Falcon posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'll parse through all that and pick out the good stuff, then I'll ask about negatives for Arkham City Armored Edition, since I believe I've already got positives.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Have you played very far into 3D World? I feel like it's easy to get fooled by the first few worlds in 3D World, because they don't front load the game as is the custom in modern game development. Think of Super Mario World, you don't even get the cape until World 2, you don't get to see a ghost house until halfway through world two. Don't get me wrong, the first couple of worlds are fun, but the set-pieces gradually get more elaborate. I'm sure it's not everybody's thing, it is hands-down my favorite game since the 1990s, though.

Yeah, I beat the whole thing and made some progress into the Special Worlds. It's probably mostly down to personal taste. Compared to the relative openness and unpredictability of the Galaxy games, and even Mario 64, I find the blocky, square level design a bit sterile and boring. It's gorgeously rendered, but as the flagship WiiU Mario title I was hoping for something more than just 3D Land Part 2. I hope they're still planning a 64/Sunshine/Galaxy-style full-3D Mario game for the WiiU at some stage, and that we're not just going to get another NSMB-style series of identical games.

I also wish Nintendo would learn to do boss fights. The two or three that they have aren't good enough to be worth repeating, and you don't even really get one with Bowser.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Faux Mulder posted:

I also wish Nintendo would learn to do boss fights. The two or three that they have aren't good enough to be worth repeating, and you don't even really get one with Bowser.

3D Land did it better than World but I actually think they have the right idea making the Bowser fights into obstacle courses instead of "hit bowser 3 times"

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Yeah, again, personal taste, but I think that last encounter with Bowser in 3D World is pretty sweet. I feel like they were starting to get a bit convoluted and stupid before they started to head in this direction.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I didn't really get the sense that Super Mario 3D World was any more or less open than the Galaxy games. It's also absolutely less sterile and boring than Galaxy 1.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

JordanKai posted:

I didn't really get the sense that Super Mario 3D World was any more or less open than the Galaxy games. It's also absolutely less sterile and boring than Galaxy 1.

I think it's nostalgia to some degree.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want another game like Sunshine. That is the only Mario game in the main series I have never finished. It wasn't like, a bad game, it's just not what I want in a Mario game. Besides the sections where you lost your backpack, it was way too light on platforming for my tastes.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 5, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I thought Battle Network 1 was loving awesome but I was 14 at the time and the other ones weren't out yet, so I guess if you're 14 and you've never played it before you'll have a great time

For what it's worth there is a really good plot twist at the end and the soundtrack is great, too

Kaubocks posted:

they are bad games

Additional PSA:
2 is loving awesome
3 is also awesome but you might start burning out a little if you played through 1 & 2
4 is abysmal, never ever ever play this game
5 is okay, it's also the only one that got a port to DS so you can just play it on your 3DS if you can find it
6 I never played but I've heard it's good? What do you guys say?

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 5, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Kaubocks posted:

they are bad games

MMBN1 is perfectly serviceable. Its just a bit archaic in design, if it weren't for the main internet map, being unable to escape battles without using a chip, the strange functionality of the ADD button and that loving power plant it would be as good as the other games.
Though they should've just waited for DS VC and brought over the terrible "remake" with Star Force Megaman as a playable character instead of doing this.

gay skull posted:

6 I never played but I've heard it's good? What do you guys say?

6 is on par if not better than 2.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 5, 2014

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Help Im Alive posted:

3D Land did it better than World but I actually think they have the right idea making the Bowser fights into obstacle courses instead of "hit bowser 3 times"

Oh how I loved the final Bowser fight in 3D Land. There was just something about chasing a giant ox-turtle as he throws spiked balls and barrels and spits fireballs at you in the first half, then switch it up to have him chase you in the second half across platforms that could be broken by either you or his new magic flames, culminating into a sprint for the switch at the end that is absolutely magical! :allears:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh how I loved the final Bowser fight in 3D Land. There was just something about chasing a giant ox-turtle as he throws spiked balls and barrels and spits fireballs at you in the first half, then switch it up to have him chase you in the second half across platforms that could be broken by either you or his new magic flames, culminating into a sprint for the switch at the end that is absolutely magical! :allears:

3D Land is one of my favorite Bowser fights in a long, long history of Bowser fights.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anything on the eshop I should spend my five free bucks on? Or would I be better off getting something on 3DS? Or just treat it as a $5 off coupon towards a bigger game.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

MMBN1 is perfectly serviceable. Its just a bit archaic in design, if it weren't for the main internet map, being unable to escape battles without using a chip, the strange functionality of the ADD button and that loving power plant it would be as good as the other games.

I have 10 dollars of free e-shop money and I'm considering getting it just to support the series on VC, then I think about THAT STUPID loving POWER PLANT and all desire play it again is washed away

gay skull posted:

I thought Battle Network 1 was loving awesome but I was 14 at the time and the other ones weren't out yet, so I guess if you're 14 and you've never played it before you'll have a great time

For what it's worth there is a really good plot twist at the end and the soundtrack is great, too
Yeah on it's own Battle Network 1 (sans power plant) is alright and if you want to check that series out you could do worse(4). There's just 4 games in that series that are waaaaaay better.
the soundtrack IS pretty great though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtX-oC5eCnc

6 is pretty fantastic and you should find a way to play it

Star Force 3 is also pretty neat if you haven't played that

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Faux Mulder posted:

If you've ever been into a realtime strategy game, such as Starcraft, Command & Conquer, etc. then you could enjoy Pikmin 3. It's really charming and cute, so you'd have to be open to that, too. The boss fights aren't frustrating, and are actually the only part that I personally really enjoyed. RTS isn't my thing, so I was just pretty neutral about the game. People complain that it's too short; I haven't even beaten it yet. It's a top contender in the list, but it demands you play for at least a half hour at a time. You won't want to put it down after just one level, especially when you end a daylight cycle in the middle of a level.

I love Monster Hunter, but you said low time investment, so it is definitely out.

If you like mini-games and/or collecting things, Nintendo Land is surprisingly great, despite being a bundle-in kind of title. Aside from Game & Wario (which generally sucks,) it is THE "play for 15 minutes or 5 hours" title in the list. It uses a bunch of Nintendo IPs for the games, and offers multiple ways to play them if you own a Wiimote. Some examples, the Zelda mini-game is Link trekking through Hyrule killing poo poo with a bow (Gamepad) or Master Sword (Wiimote.) The Metroid mini-game is kind of like a third-person shooter, with Samus in the gunship (gamepad) or on foot with a Metroid Prime control scheme (Wiimote.) A lot of the games have local multiplayer as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MMBN6 is the best of the series, also 5 has a unique gimmick in it where you basically play a sort of turn based strategy game where you have to cleanse screens of evil influence by clearing your way through their territory and it's hit or miss, I suppose (I loved it).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like 6 a lot more if they didn't cut out so much content from the post ending areas.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would like 6 a lot more if it didn't insist on playing the same high alert music everywhere after you reach the credits.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Strange Quark posted:

I would like 6 a lot more if it didn't insist on playing the same high alert music everywhere after you reach the credits.

How did they make that mistake again after 3? Or did you mean to type 3?

God dang that was so annoying

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ultigonio posted:

I only played one and assumed it was six because the Harry Potter-style epilogue seemed pretty definitive. :downs:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Ultigonio posted:

3 doesn't do that.
Only 4-6 do that. And technically they won't if you save before the stupid alert music and finish the game.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Hey Wii U thread,

A while back I posted about a weird issue I was having with playing original Wii games on the Wii U. Occasionally, while trying to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl through the Wii menu, the console would crash to a black screen when I tried to launch the disc. Since Brawl is notorious for disc issues, I assumed it was a disc drive problem. As time went on, however, I was getting more crashes on the Wii menu with other games and even when just trying to select options. None of Nintendo's support suggestions seemed to work, but I noticed that my system memory was almost completely full. Since I've freed up some space on the internal storage, it seems to be working 100% now.

Seems like a pretty random, rare, problem but I thought I'd share if anyone else is having problems with the Wii menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Thanks for all the advice, folks - went with Pikmin in the end.

• Locked thread