Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Trustworthy posted:

But it's freeeeeeee!

Huge savings, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I ain't a fan of EA and I probably won't buy from them using Origin, but Origin itself is fine. I even played Saboteur without ever having to log in after I installed it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Okay. Boy, the government sure did a great job faking that whole moon landing thing, too, huh?

...:qq:fluoride in the waaaaaaaaaater :qq:

It's you, you're the one over reacting to something I don't mind programs doing!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Accordion Man posted:

I ain't a fan of EA and I probably won't buy from them, but Origin is fine. I even played Saboteur without ever having to log in after I installed it.
IIRC any game you have on Origin will play just fine without Origin running in the background unless said game explicitly uses Origin for stuff (like ME3 or Battlefield).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There's nothing particularly wrong with Origin but giving away a 20 year old game (especially making a big deal about GETTING A FREEEEEE GAME!!!!!) is stupid as hell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

There's nothing particularly wrong with Origin but giving away a 20 year old game (especially making a big deal about GETTING A FREEEEEE GAME!!!!!) is stupid as hell.

Counterpoint: Wing Commander 3 owns, and I forgot it existed until this promotion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Insert name here posted:

IIRC any game you have on Origin will play just fine without Origin running in the background unless said game explicitly uses Origin for stuff (like ME3 or Battlefield).
Actually, those morons made the original C&C for Win95 require Origin running.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Wing Commander 3 is such a beast. Playing it with my old MS Sidewinder joystick from time to time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Are they making a big deal out of it? The page is exactly the same as the one they've used to give away the last three games (or however long they've been doing this).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Veotax posted:

Are they making a big deal out of it? The page is exactly the same as the one they've used to give away the last three games (or however long they've been doing this).

I mean, yeah it's the same page but this is supposed to be a promotion, something to get people excited. In my opinion you shouldn't even bother if you're going to give away something that's essentially worthless at this point. Not that WC isn't good, it's just something you could get for pennies anywhere.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, and even selling it for actual money like GOG does is just so stupid, you know?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Drifter posted:

Yeah, and even selling it for actual money like GOG does is just so stupid, you know?

You seem to be missing my point. It's just an empty gesture.

I get it though, you guys disagree.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eh, free's free. They've given out relatively new games for free, and they've given out old games for free. The mix is actually kind of nice.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

They're giving away free games to get you to install their HDD scanning software, advertising popups, and digital store.

(I'm not implying steam is perfect)
The HDD scanning is user-defined folders for finding games. There's the optional Origin Experience Reporting where you can share "system interaction data". Don't recall if that's opt-in or opt-out but they explain it in an FAQ on their site. The client doesn't do anything particularly dodgy last I checked. I don't like and consider it a lovely service that isn't needed, but it's not actively malicious.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Origin is fine and I leave it running all the time but if you've ever wondered why they give away old games for free, it's data aggregation and advertising.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

PantsBandit posted:

You seem to be missing my point. It's just an empty gesture.

I get it though, you guys disagree.

they are giving you something for free. take it or don't. whining about it makes you look like a baby

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Awesome! posted:

they are giving you something for free. take it or don't. whining about it makes you look like a baby

I'll take it, it is a great classic game. But honestly it's not like it's really impressive or anything.

"Oh man, Wing Commander 3 for FREE!? Got to get me that."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I'll take it, it is a great classic game. But honestly it's not like it's really impressive or anything.

"Oh man, Wing Commander 3 for FREE!? Got to get me that."

Finally someone who gets where I'm coming from. I don't really care what they give away, even if it was a newer game I'd probably ignore it since I have more than enough already. I'm just commenting on the fact that it seems pointless. It's like the effort it would take to download the game is worth more than you would pay for it.

But feel free to keep telling me I'm a whiney baby!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

listen origin, your free games? yea they're not really very impressive to me. you really need to step your game up in the giving me free poo poo department. I mean why even bother giving out this game if it's old and cheap? lol like why the gently caress would you even bother you dumbasses?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Awesome! posted:

listen origin, your free games? yea they're not really very impressive to me. you really need to step your game up in the giving me free poo poo department. I mean why even bother giving out this game if it's old and cheap? lol like why the gently caress would you even bother you dumbasses?

this but unironically

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I've gotten a bunch of free poo poo from Origin since I've started using it and I've always wanted to try Wing Commander so this is perfect for me. Y'all can keep being crybabies and whining about free games, I'm gonna go fly a spaceship and blow poo poo up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I played peggle when origin gave it out for free because peggle is a fun game v:shobon:v

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just playing through the Lego Hobbit just now and is it just me or have they really turned the collectathon into too much of a clusterfuck now (and also with the LEGO LotR i guess)?

It used to be a fairly straightforward bit of fun after finishing the main levels, but now post game you have to:

1. Hunt down (by using the internet) the characters you need to unlock to be able to do previously basic things like break shiny blocks
2. Find a schematic in the world or in a level
3. Make sure you have enough fruits and veg and gently caress knows what other materials in order to create that item.
4. Take that item to the appropriate person in order to unlock the opportunity to buy a item.
5. Have enough money to buy said item.

There's no way I could ever figure out half of what I need to do without using a guide.

Like, in order to get the mini-kit/schematics locator, you need to get the correct schematic from the correct level (or it may be hidden somewhere on the world map) then run through all of the above.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

The Kins posted:

Just announced for Steam: A HD-ish update of the 2002 Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1! Apparently this is considered the definitive version, using pre-rendered backgrounds to kick up the polycount on the characters above the norm for the time.

New features (all optional) include improved artwork, non-tank controls, and a zoomed in scrolling camera to make the 4:3 graphics work in 16:9. It's scheduled for "early next year". I guess RE4 HD did pretty well, huh.

gently caress yes! This made my day.

Now, if they could only do a remake of Resident Evil 2.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Downs Duck posted:

gently caress yes! This made my day.

"We have no idea why people do or do not buy certain games, so we'll just keep remaking the games you did buy over and over again."

So just give it time, they'll probably get around to it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Probably not gonna happen. The only reason this is getting an HD makeover is because they had the assets from REmake lying around.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Got my kickstarter key for Rex Rocket today, thought I would give it a quick spin and almost 2 hours went by. I love 2D platformers but I haven't played any that are actually challenging in a long time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lance Streetman posted:

Probably not gonna happen. The only reason this is getting an HD makeover is because they had the assets from REmake lying around.

Maybe they'll just straight up remake it! They could use the dead rising engine and it would be awesome! Imagine the full world environment totally explorable (with the exception of the locked door puzzles) etc.

I kinda think that's what they were ultimately aiming for back in the PS1 days but were just limited by the hardware.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Awesome! posted:

I'd say they did step up the game when they gave away numerous games under $20 for free. Best sale ever.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Kin posted:

Maybe they'll just straight up remake it! They could use the dead rising engine and it would be awesome! Imagine the full world environment totally explorable (with the exception of the locked door puzzles) etc.

I kinda think that's what they were ultimately aiming for back in the PS1 days but were just limited by the hardware.

Hahahaha. Capcom putting any effort into remaking older games. That's funny. You're funny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should see if they have any Cannon Spike assets laying around and throw that up

Actually they've ported their arcade emulator to so many systems I'm surprised they never put a Capcom Collection on Steam.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

I'd say they did step up the game when they gave away numerous games under $20 for free. Best sale ever.

I got practically every game on origin for free except for the COD-likes. Man, what a good sale. :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

Wing Commander III, but you'll need Origin.

Edit: vvv for some, free is still too high a price.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 5, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hav posted:

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

Wing Commander III, but you'll need Origin.

Ya didn't even read the page

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is there any really good must have Meridian4 games I should get? I was thinking of picking up Haegemonia just out of nostalgia

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I guess broforce is lying about its system requirements. says opengl 3 is minimum but I have 2.1 and expendabros runs fine. would have been nice to know during the sale :argh:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Quest For Glory II posted:

They should see if they have any Cannon Spike assets laying around and throw that up

Actually they've ported their arcade emulator to so many systems I'm surprised they never put a Capcom Collection on Steam.

I would kiiiiiillll for this. Give me an official CPS EMU with rom packs and GGPO net play Capcom. Iron Galaxy's already ported several games for console and at least one for PC. This poo poo is basically free money at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Expendabros just sold me on Broforce, whenever it leaves EA. Though it's kind of annoying that every time you save someone your character switches, which can screw you over depending on what you need.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

I would kiiiiiillll for this. Give me an official CPS EMU with rom packs and GGPO net play Capcom. Iron Galaxy's already ported several games for console and at least one for PC. This poo poo is basically free money at this point.
Basically the only arcade emulation collection currently in circulation is IREM Arcade Hits by DotEmu, which actually is a pretty rad collection of games that has marginally acceptable emulation (bare minimum effort is how I'd describe it). But it's not on Steam. It is on Desura though:

http://www.desura.com/games/irem-arcade-hits

The games people might know are In the Hunt, R-Type Leo, and Kung Fu Masters, but I had never heard of Cosmic Cop or Undercover Cops or Ninja Spirit.. but they're all solid games too. It'll feel like you entered an alternate universe 1990s where instead of Golden Axe there's Blade Master, instead of Metal Slug there's Gunforce 2(by the same development team), instead of Shinobi there's Ninja Spirit, instead of Xevious there's Image Fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Actually, those morons made the original C&C for Win95 require Origin running.

Yeah I ran into that issue because to get Tiberian Sun working on Windows 8 you have to download a 3rd party patch for the launcher in order to let it pass through certain commands that Origin ditches.

If anyone wants to know how to get that fucker working send me a PM, it's a massive pain in the rear end and took me forever.

• Locked thread