Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

Maybe if he had 1 loyalty he would be not as broken? Also, I was completely spitballing, squee was probably the first goblin I can think of which wizards would probably use as a planeswalker, him or Krenko, probably. I personally want a lot more tribal based planeswalkers, since dragons (Sarkhan Vol BR version?) and Elves (Nissa) got one, why not others? It would be interesting to see something like a Shapeshifter Planeswalker with the ability to give creatures all types until EOT and the ability to pump up named creatures types, also.

It seems mote likely he could be similar to your layout at 1RR. that is a more traditional cmc for a goblin lord and less busted but still fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

PleasantDirge posted:

This is how we know you are stupid. Cry some more that an $80 card got reprinted and can be had for a mere $14 US dollars. Don't buy any stifles or chords for $10 either.

a mere $14 for a single card lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mick foley forever posted:

You sure didn't pick the right hobby if this kind of price bothers you.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

i did actually because it's possible to get good cards without paying more than $10 on them my niggas, at least in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i did actually because it's possible to get good cards without paying more than $10 on them my niggas, at least in standard.

The savings $$$!!

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

lol im not even trying to stir poo poo up by saying "i don't want to pay lots of money on a card game, even one that i like, but i dont care if other people do unless its for awful proxies" why are you all so defensive

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lol im not even trying to stir poo poo up by saying "i don't want to pay lots of money on a card game, even one that i like, but i dont care if other people do unless its for awful proxies" why are you all so defensive

I am not being defensive at all. I was merely pointing out the massive savings between the 10 dollar card and the 14. Good on you bro.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

what you want me only to have 1 thoughtsieze?? :whoptc: you gotta have like 3-4 in a good deck and the $4 becomes a difference. but if i go with mono black i might splugre

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

:whoptc:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Stop trolling the anime card sleeves thread.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Only if you're an unwashed plebians play with $14 Theros Thoughtseizes rather than superior $35 Lorywn Thoughtseizes.

JerryLee posted:

Weren't the 'power level reasons' in the case of LotV for M15 pretty much "black devotion exists and already has Thoughtseize et al?"

Basically the answer was that everyone would complain about mono-black if Liliana of the Veil was printed. Really, you'd be foolish to show up to the PT with something that wasn't Mono-Black if Liliana were an option.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 5, 2014

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

If it's going to go back to even half of it's previous value before the re-print you are actually rather stupid for not buying them at $14. Reprints worth a drat are kinda new but I will eat my rubber chuck Taylors if it stays below $20 post rotation so if a slam dunk 25% is too low a profit margin on a sleeve it, forget it, sell it move maybe that's why you have trouble buying all your cardboard with your budget.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Either Thoughtseize is fine. People who play with mismatched Thoughtseizes, though, should be disqualified without prize.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

Either Thoughtseize is fine. People who play with mismatched Thoughtseizes, though, should be disqualified without prize.

Mismatched white-bordered basics all day, aw yeah.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

Mismatched white-bordered basics all day, aw yeah.

I am calling the police.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Only if you're an unwashed plebians play with $14 Theros Thoughtseizes rather than superior $35 Lorywn Thoughtseizes.

Truly a cost that justifies itself.

In terms of art choices that don't cost any, what is the proper split for Hymn to Tourach? I'm currently using all 4 art pieces from Fallen Empires, with the Scott Kirschner art removed if I'm only playing 3 in my BUG Delver list. I think this is objectively correct, but I'm curious if there are any partisans for the new art, or if there are people who think I should be running Susan Van Camp exclusively (with an accompanying wolf shirt).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'd be on mono-Hoover, in your position.

The only time I would run a mismatched playset would be to get all four of the seasonal Mishra's Factory arts.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

Stop trolling the anime card sleeves thread.

Since this has been brought up, could someone repost the Sorin X Jace playmat, or some mtg themed object that is possibly even more anime?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Samael posted:

We need a goblin planeswalker, something like...

Squee, Enlightened Goblin, 1R

Loyalty 2

+1 Put 1 1/1 Goblin Token into play

-1 All Goblins get +1/+1, haste and "must attack if able" until end of turn.

-7 Search for 10 cards with goblin in it's name or type and you may play them without paying their mana costs.

Don't think the rules support searches by name part.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So a little bit of a design thought experiment after listening to a lot of the push back from LR and LSV on ornithopter. A 0/1 flyer for 0 mana is generally not a good since it costs you a card - so what IS a card worth? Or in other words, what's the weakest 0 CMC creature that would be playable to good?

Considering a vanilla 1/1 for 1 mana is also generally seen as bad, the obvious answer seems to be a 1/1 for 0, but I'm curious what other people think.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
We've had that card. It's called memnite. It also wasn't a high pick, although it was sometimes played in a metalcraft deck.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jonked posted:

So a little bit of a design thought experiment after listening to a lot of the push back from LR and LSV on ornithopter. A 0/1 flyer for 0 mana is generally not a good since it costs you a card - so what IS a card worth? Or in other words, what's the weakest 0 CMC creature that would be playable to good?

Considering a vanilla 1/1 for 1 mana is also generally seen as bad, the obvious answer seems to be a 1/1 for 0, but I'm curious what other people think.

IMO, The absolute best vanilla/keywords only creature card you could print for 0 mana is a 1/2, or a 1/1 with some kind of evasion.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Anyone who says Ornithopter is a bad card immediately loses all rights to talk about whether a card is good or not. :colbert:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

LGD posted:

Truly a cost that justifies itself.

In terms of art choices that don't cost any, what is the proper split for Hymn to Tourach? I'm currently using all 4 art pieces from Fallen Empires, with the Scott Kirschner art removed if I'm only playing 3 in my BUG Delver list. I think this is objectively correct, but I'm curious if there are any partisans for the new art, or if there are people who think I should be running Susan Van Camp exclusively (with an accompanying wolf shirt).

I'm an "all four or wolfshirts only" guy myself. Personally I'd cut the Liz Danforth art before the Kirschner art, but really they're all either pretty good or look like a wolfshirt.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of altered cards, the manager of my local game store has a promo Brainstorm, signed by the artist.

It's signed "For [dude's name], DiTerlizzi". :negative:

I have a friend who wrote a letter to The Duelist back in middle school, and since they published his letter, they sent him a 4E Lightning Bolt signed by Richard Garfield, and Garfield drew a little stick figure getting hit by the lightning bolt with an arrow pointing at the figure with my friend's name on it.

LGD posted:

Stoomie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 5, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
rk post, you're the best and always will be the best.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Since this has been brought up, could someone repost the Sorin X Jace playmat, or some mtg themed object that is possibly even more anime?

エリシュ・ノーン です。

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

jscolon2.0 posted:

Don't think the rules support searches by name part.

It wouldn't be the weirdest name-based search, but there's only 28 cards that have goblin in their name without being goblins, so it just seems needlessly complicated.

Goblin power level opinion: oh my god I'd play 5.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jonked posted:

I think you could do a 2/1 ball lightning for 0

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Jonked posted:

a 1/1 for 0 is good. The argument against ornithopter is that it does absolutely nothing by itself. It gets put out there and needs help. The most Ornithopter usually does is just chump block and doesn't even trade. Ornithopter will do 0 damage by itself in a game where the goal is to out-damage your opponent. A 1/1 does damage, at the very least.

If you had a 0-cost 1/1, on turn one you could potentially have 2 bodies that are actually going to do damage. That's a big deal in limited and something that appeals to me as an aggressive player.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

LaTex Fetish posted:

a 1/1 for 0 is good. The argument against ornithopter is that it does absolutely nothing by itself. It gets put out there and needs help. The most Ornithopter usually does is just chump block and doesn't even trade.

If you had a 0-cost 1/1, on turn one you could potentially have 2 bodies that are actually going to do damage. That's a big deal in limited and something that appeals to me as an aggressive player.

I agree. I've won so many games in online drafts where my opponent was running multiple Ornithopter hoping to draw their singleton Ensoul Artifact. Inevitably they sit there doing nothing then eventually chump block out of desperation.

The only GOOD use of Ornithopter I've seen is in a deck that ran a lot of those red dudes that care about artifacts and Roaring Primadox so he could bounce the free creature every turn and never have to get behind the mana curve.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I know, and I was thrilled. M15 is finally giving GW some cards worth playing, but you can't pretend it hasn't been shat on for the past year.

Let's give GW this really good card called Voice of Resurgence. In the standard with Pillar of Flame.

And on it's way out, in a standard with Anger of the Gods and the loving Magma Spray reprint.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ramos posted:

エリシュ・ノーン です。
fukken saved

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I know, and I was thrilled. M15 is finally giving GW some cards worth playing, but you can't pretend it hasn't been shat on for the past year.
I'm glad that GW was shat on. Then again I'm torn between Jeskai being terrible because it's UWR, a color combo I hate, and want it to be good, because Djinn creatures are in it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I agree. I've won so many games in online drafts where my opponent was running multiple Ornithopter hoping to draw their singleton Ensoul Artifact. Inevitably they sit there doing nothing then eventually chump block out of desperation.

The only GOOD use of Ornithopter I've seen is in a deck that ran a lot of those red dudes that care about artifacts and Roaring Primadox so he could bounce the free creature every turn and never have to get behind the mana curve.

You mean good use in limited right? Ornithopter may do nothing on its own, but there are lots of cards that do nothing on their own and are amazing...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

a 1/1 for 0 is good. The argument against ornithopter is that it does absolutely nothing by itself. It gets put out there and needs help. The most Ornithopter usually does is just chump block and doesn't even trade. Ornithopter will do 0 damage by itself in a game where the goal is to out-damage your opponent. A 1/1 does damage, at the very least.

It's still generally not worth a card in limited, Memnite was not a good card in limited unless you were playing a metalcraft deck because it doesn't do anything once the other guy plays a stupid bear.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gensuki posted:

You mean good use in limited right? Ornithopter may do nothing on its own, but there are lots of cards that do nothing on their own and are amazing...

Yes, just Limited. I've been beaten down by too many Ornithopters in Modern to underestimate the card in Constructed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Star Man posted:

rk post, you're the best and always will be the best.

I met rk post through an artist friend at GP Worcester. The first words he said to me were "why aren't we drinking?" That endeared him to me pretty well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I think you could do a 2/1 ball lightning for 0

Auto include in burn. T1 goblin guide baby ball lightning hit you for 4.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

tzirean posted:

I met rk post through an artist friend at GP Worcester. The first words he said to me were "why aren't we drinking?" That endeared him to me pretty well.

Talked to him for a while the first day of GP Chicago when things were slow. Cool dude. He also had an amazing Cathulhu mat he drew for sale :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Elyv posted:

It's still generally not worth a card in limited, Memnite was not a good card in limited unless you were playing a metalcraft deck because it doesn't do anything once the other guy plays a stupid bear.

They are good in a convoke heavy deck? Then they're like off color moxen that can hold auras?

• Locked thread