Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
And now I find out that my assistant gave a printer to the Director of the department without letting me know which is causing this issue because the special snowflake in question is a five year old.

The special snowflake in question is also a producer, not a director or a manager or anything special.

I bet the fallout from this is going to be awesome.

But hey the trash can Mac Pro came in so today isn't a total wash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea why people want their own personal slow, mono, unreliable, noisy printer that they have to replace toners and paper on anywhere within earshot. Given the choice and how little I see anything as requiring printing, put that poo poo in its own room and make me walk a bit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

That is why people don't want to use the communal printer. Speed is nothing compared to lazy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

That is why people don't want to use the communal printer. Speed is nothing compared to lazy.

My boss prints probably 20-30 things to a printer in the adjacent room but doesn't go pick them up for an hour. So more often than not the following occurs:

1. The machine ran out of paper 3 hours ago and the print queue just sat there holding onto the items. Since it's an HP it constantly locks up so when it reboots the print queue is wiped.
2. They sit on top of the printer until someone goes and scoops them all up thinking that they are what they printed, then they leave it/throw it out which leads to...
3. She blames the printer for not printing or thinks there is a bigger problem at hand. Most of the times it's just she accidentally printed to One Note/another printer in the building.

Number 3 wouldn't be so bad except that compound it with 1 and 2 and I'm left trying to explain to her that there likely isn't a problem with the system, but since you waited 3 hours to tell me you didn't get your print out I cannot troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Badge release motherfuckers

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah, many bigger printer/copiers will do "secure print" where the user has to enter their PIN on it to release the print job. Enforce that and have jobs time out after 24 hours in the queue. Your company will save so much paper and toner, making it an easier* sell to the management.

* not easy, but easier, since many managers like to print things unnecessarily and think they shouldn't have to walk a few feet because they're too important

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My largest client yanked personal printers and mandated MFP usage as part of a 'get your lazy rear end up and walk and stop wasting so much loving paper' initiative. It was pretty fun listening to people from lowly nobodies to managers try and justify why they should have one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

go3 posted:

My largest client yanked personal printers and mandated MFP usage as part of a 'get your lazy rear end up and walk and stop wasting so much loving paper' initiative. It was pretty fun listening to people from lowly nobodies to managers try and justify why they should have one.

I'd love to hear their reasoning considering no good reason exists.

Outside of super confidential poo poo mixed with company policies but let's be honest here, 99% of the time that's not the case.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Renegret posted:

Outside of super confidential poo poo mixed with company policies but let's be honest here, 99% of the time that's not the case.

And that's mitigated by enforcing the "secure print" feature. Seriously, why even print at all?

Answer: well I can't put it in the fax machine* if I don't print it first :downs:

* which is also the printer

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

And that's mitigated by enforcing the "secure print" feature. Seriously, why even print at all?

Answer: well I can't put it in the fax machine* if I don't print it first :downs:

* which is also the printer

Now that's efficiency! You don't even have to make a second trip to the fax machine after printing :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SamDabbers posted:

Don't be silly.

They can just take a picture of it on their company cell phone and e-mail it to themselves.

(Here we go again)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Request got shot down by the head of the department with the below quote

quote:

Maybe just be mindful of picking up documents when you print so they don't go into recycling or get trashed.

:getin:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We just rolled out managed printing too. We focus grouped it to get user concerns addressed before the rollout; they were concerned about confidential information, so we implemented secure print. Now the users complain that they don't like having to authenticate every time and that the timed auto-lock is annoying. (I actually sympathize with the users there -- they have to authenticate with an ID number no one knows, not a badge, and the timeout is annoyingly short. As you might expect, these are being addressed..)

Before the rollout users asked me if it was happening, and I dissembled rather than start a riot, but asked why it would matter if they did. They told me, without exception, that they print a lot and didn't want to walk down the hall. In users' minds this is a perfectly adequate explanation.

Annoyingly, many of my VIP users now just have leased MFPs in their offices instead of printers on their desks. But at least we don't have to repair them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
secure print is easy enough with just a PIN you set on the first time you print (from the pc) that you have to enter into the printer to print. Way easier.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, many bigger printer/copiers will do "secure print" where the user has to enter their PIN on it to release the print job.

This is a godsend, we have a Xerox Color 550 Production Printer and there's always a mess of people climbing over each other and huffing when Tray X is empty and holds up the queue or somebody leaves the wrong paper in the wrong drawer and fucks everything up.

Actually wait... nobody except me actually uses it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Renegret posted:

After listening to all their bullshit and dismissing it all with 'stop being lazy' or 'secure print' there were no exceptions other than a woman who had mobility issues. She got her own baby-MFP which led to another woman getting fired after she was told repeatedly to stop asking mobility-challenged lady to print stuff for her. She threw a loving fit about it and they told her to pack her poo poo and leave. She was a rather dreadful oval office anyways so all's well that ends well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spankmeister posted:

secure print is easy enough with just a PIN you set on the first time you print (from the pc) that you have to enter into the printer to print. Way easier.

The problem here is too many people printing huge print jobs. They don't want to walk to the printer and trigger a 500 page print job, they want it to be done when they get there. Or more realistically done at some point before they remember to go pick it up, which can literally be days later at which point it's in a sloppy pile of forgotten jobs on top of the file cabinet next to the copier.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Dick Trauma posted:

The problem here is too many people printing huge print jobs. They don't want to walk to the printer and trigger a 500 page print job, they want it to be done when they get there. Or more realistically done at some point before they remember to go pick it up, which can literally be days later at which point it's in a sloppy pile of forgotten jobs on top of the file cabinet next to the copier.

How is it secure if you don't have to walk over to start the job?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people are regularly printing half a ream of paper then you should have a dept. with a low end production machine that can bind the book they've just printed together.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

go3 posted:

After listening to all their bullshit and dismissing it all with 'stop being lazy' or 'secure print' there were no exceptions other than a woman who had mobility issues. She got her own baby-MFP which led to another woman getting fired after she was told repeatedly to stop asking mobility-challenged lady to print stuff for her. She threw a loving fit about it and they told her to pack her poo poo and leave. She was a rather dreadful oval office anyways so all's well that ends well.

A personal printer SOLVED a problem? :psyduck:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

A personal printer SOLVED a problem? :psyduck:

Two if you count the bitch getting fired.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

spankmeister posted:

How is it secure if you don't have to walk over to start the job?

It's not. They are more interested in convenience than security so we won't implement secure printing. At least not until there's some sort of crisis.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why don't more MFPs have a multi tray output where it just dumps each persons poo poo into their tray?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because everyone will want their own personal tray.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Because everyone will want their own personal tray.

So a good sized printer should be able to handle 30-40 trays holding ~100 pages each. That should be okay?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh, right. The biggest I've ever seen is 8.

65ppm isn't an uncommon speed from a decent MFD, so if you release a 100 page job then you're waiting under two minutes for it to finish (double sided and stapled, naturally). People just need to stop being so precious about printing.

Due to various policy changes I've gone from being able to upload PDFs of my expenses and submit them online, to having to submit paper copies with a signed form badly spat out of Excel. We're supposed to be going forwards - if you design a business process that involves paper being printed then gently caress you.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Antioch posted:

We have multiple domains and people leave themselves remotely logged in to poo poo all the time. I use the below to email myself when a lockout event occurs, and from what machine. So it's not 100% the solution you need but it's something. Save it as a batch file and have it run on Windows Event ID 4740 in Server 2008/2012 or 644 I think in 2003.

code:
del C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt
wevtutil qe Security "/q:*[System [(EventID=4740)]]" /f:text /rd:true /c:1 > C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt
The above makes a text file called AccountLockout.txt in C:\scripts\results (or whatever you change that to) and deletes the one that's already there. Then you set the task scheduler to mail you the file. The text file has the account name and the caller computer that locked the account.

Like so:

Since server 2008 Windows has a builtin feature for this: Event Forwarding
You should have that set up anyway to forward stuff like account lockouts, edits on audited groups because:
a) You never know on which DC something happened so you have to check all of them
b) DC security logs are so notoriously spammy that you will have important events get knocked off within hours

There's a pretty good guide on how to set it up here http://www.avecto.com/documents/solution-guides/EventCentralization.pdf

spankmeister posted:

So if you enter 1111 on the printer you receive a half dozen printouts from random people?

AlternateAccount posted:

Why don't more MFPs have a multi tray output where it just dumps each persons poo poo into their tray?!

At one company I worked for they had Xerox printers that were able to stack every second print job offset by a few centimeters in the output box. Combine that with a badge authorization scheme and you had people printing stuff for an hour or two, walk over to the printer, swipe their badge and pick up a stack of neatly separated 20 print jobs that they could then quickly put into envelopes at their desk. That was probably the neatest printing solution I've ever seen, there were only 2 printers (leased!) for every 40 people.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 5, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

So a good sized printer should be able to handle 30-40 trays holding ~100 pages each. That should be okay?

That printer probably costs a lot of money! These HPs are only like, $80 each!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Inspector_666 posted:

That printer probably costs a lot of money! These HPs are only like, $80 each!

I remember at an old job we had a ton of Color LaserJet 2600s, which were terrible for a number of reasons. They had constant issues with the transfer roller, were filthy, and did not have any field replaceable parts, meaning that when the terrible warranty ran out we would have to drop 300 bucks for an entirely new unit.

We had probably 22 of these in a 3 floor building with 200+ users and no matter how much complaining I did they would persist in furnishing these to anyone who asked. Until I ran a toner cost analysis and discovered that those 22 printers were costing the company ~15k annually in refurb. toner, that is. :)

Everyone balks at the MFD model but they don't see the big picture.

quote:

So if you enter 1111 on the printer you receive a half dozen printouts from random people?

No, it also lets you enter a user name (most of them default to the login name). You only choose jobs that have your name next to them and have them print accordingly when you enter a code. It won't just poo poo out every print job that matches a code.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 5, 2014

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm very weak on my printing, but does that essentially mean you print to a nebulous location, then essentially choose which printer you want to use when you scan your RFID? That's very cool functionality, because I'm sure a lot of users have that "oh poo poo, wrong printer" moment in a typical shop.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
You're either printing to a specific printer that has internal storage allowing it to build up jobs tied to Hold/Secured Print jobs, or you print to a "virtual printer" or central print management front end that pulls jobs associated with a user ID/RFID card at the printer when they go up to it. The second one has some issues with WAN traversal if bandwidth is tight.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Basically yeah. The job doesn't sit at the printer waiting for you to release it, the print management service holds it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

luminalflux posted:

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

:aaaaa:

Want.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

For real. I've been pushing for both RFID scanners *and* a central print management system for a while. Those card scanners can be ludicrously expensive depending on what vendor you go with.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I want this system but instead of the RFID badge you bash the user's head against the copier.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Yeah there isn't like "Floor 6 north MFP" queues, it's one big print queue that spools up. When you blip your badge the server sends the job to that printer.

Of course, my department isn't part of that big system so we still have to contend with giving people IP addresses to the printers.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

For real. I've been pushing for both RFID scanners *and* a central print management system for a while. Those card scanners can be ludicrously expensive depending on what vendor you go with.

I have no idea what we use but the cards are Mifare Classic according to my Nexus 5, and they're the same as the entry cards (Which double as ID badges as well, though nobody checks that). The readers are some USB device that connects to the printer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

I want this system but instead of the RFID badge you bash the user's head against the copier.
Just have someone draw up one of those flyers similar to the voice activation thing, and the users will do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Deep Freeze is paying dividends.

I installed it on four different machines, these machines are used for a part of our manufacturing process which is extremely important. For months, the machines would randomly decide they were no longer able to contact the DC. The DC was pingable, but the machine would NOT rejoin the domain no matter what. Four hours of Microsoft support, they only came up with one fix for one particular machine, which doesn't apply to any of the others. Machines which have this problem need to be wiped and re-imaged.

Enter Deep Freeze... Any time the problem reoccurs, the machine just needs to be rebooted. I've explained this to all of the employees involved with this aspect of manufacturing at least twice if not more.

And yet... In comes an email from :downs: complaining that a machine can't connect to the company shares. I reply a MICROSECOND later "reboot" then for about 30 minutes I hear nothing. I help another employee in a different wing of the building.

The manufacturing supervisor tracks me down to confront me about this problem in person. I explain "the machine just needs to be rebooted, but I'll walk over and see what's going on"

The machine is working perfectly fine, because it has been rebooted. I return to my cube. Waiting for me is an email from the software dept head with all other department heads CC'ed, my boss, my bosses' boss, basically everybody BUT the CEO reminding me about this problem which has been resolved this entire time. :downs: had BCC'ed all of these people.

Oh and what's more... "helpdesk@company.com" hasn't been put in the loop even once. I loving hate people.

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread