Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New DC Animated movies announced: Batman Vs Robin and JL: Gods and Monsters

Batman VS Robin will be inspired by the Court of Owls storyarc and Gods and Monsters is completely new story penned by Bruce Timm

Has Timm worked on any of the other DC movies? (Other than the DCAU movies)

Wikipedia and IMDB are both kinda scant on Timm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

redbackground posted:

Why is DC so concerned with massively rewriting every popular arc they choose to animate? Just...film the already very popular story that already works well ahhhh

Isn't it just as likely that the "Batman vs Robin" bit will be something that takes place in the first 10 minutes of the movie before being quickly swept aside, and the title is nothing but showmanship/bullshit? It's not like there's never been a "Superguy vs Otherguy!" comic where the titular fight was resolved in the first three pages.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

He's worked on almost all of WBA's DTV releases over the last seven years as Supervising Producer. Basically, he's been the head honcho over most of them. I think The Dark Knight Returns was his last project in that position. It's hard to tell which ones he was more hands on with though.

Honestly, I really wish Timm's career wasn't so drat lateral. In an ideal world, the guy would be directing Pixar films.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 2, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Re: The guardians designs - I'm pretty sure thats an old image from when they turned up in Avengers Assemble/spidey. Despite being in the same continuity (I think), I'd expect some redesigns to fit in with the films a bit more.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sockser posted:

Wikipedia and IMDB are both kinda scant on Timm.

About that announcement

It turns out that Timm's only producing and Batman VS Robin is an original story

How the gently caress they got the announcements wrong? :psyduck:

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

twistedmentat posted:

I'm just upset they canceled Earth Mightiest Heroes for Assemble, and EMH had over 2 seasons built up a large MAU to draw upon. It had established Kree, Kang, Ultron and other major villains and had tons of heroes.

My biggest gripe with AA has been the villains. They've got such a universe to pick from and they're constantly using loving Dracula.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

GeauxSteve posted:

My biggest gripe with AA has been the villains. They've got such a universe to pick from and they're constantly using loving Dracula.

It doesn't really matter when they are all written like late 80's early 90's Saturday morning cartoon characters.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The real impressive thing about EMH is what a big deal they made the villains. Kang, Ultron, and the Kree aren't just threats. They absolutely outclass the heroes. The heroes feel like true underdogs and it make their victory feel so much more earned.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The real impressive thing about EMH is what a big deal they made the villains. Kang, Ultron, and the Kree aren't just threats. They absolutely outclass the heroes. The heroes feel like true underdogs and it make their victory feel so much more earned.

I Doom, when he met the Avengers, just smacking them all around. It didn't matter that the Avengers had overwhelming numbers over him. Doom was just that bad rear end.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
EMH alternated between "the team is under attack from a potent threat" and "the entire world is under attack from a potent threat", which was a refreshing change of pace. All the bank robbers and petty criminals were rounded up between the big missions, so you got glimpses that they were doing good stuff in between the parts where, say, a bomb is going to explode the entire planet, or some ancient magic dingus is going to freeze the entire planet, or what have you.

The exceptions tended to be the Loeb-helmed episodes in season 2, because Loeb doesn't understand this sort of thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

You know how comic nerds always get pissy when you point out that something they like is intended for kids? A lot of times it's not really intended for kids. This is one time when it's true though. The Marvel cartoons are made for little kids. And I'd wager little kids enjoy them greatly.
Marvel already had a cartoon for little kids, it was called the Marvel Superhero Squad Show. And it was pretty good, for a kid's show.

Avengers Assemble doesn't even measure up to it. It is just bad. Or perhaps mediocre. And boring. Red Skull teaming up with Dracula is made boring. Same goes for Ultimate Spiderman (which referenced Superhero Squad to its detriment) and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. Which uses a reality show conceit. Because that's what little kids (as opposed to wiseass adults) understand - reality shows.

I mean just because you want to sell toys to (mostly) kids, you can't use that to excuse everything. Otherwise there would be no point in criticizing The Batman after Batman TAS. Or that entire first season of Justice League.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 5, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, that's especially lazy criticism in a world where Adventure Time or Gravity Falls exist. The thing about kids is that they're bigger consumers than adults because their time tends to be more disposable. When I was a little kid, I watched B: TAS, X-men, and reruns of Superfriends. All with differing quality.

But that doesn't mean that quality doesn't matter. A kid might sit and watch something, but that doesn't mean that they're being engaged. That's when quality matters. For kids, that often means big scares or big laughs or big action. I'm sure that a lot of younger kids don't necessarily remember all the plotting that goes into Adventure Time or Gravity Falls, but they definitely understand the big moments rooted in that plotting. I honestly, can't recall for you a specific scene from Superfriends. But I sure as hell remember sitting on my couch, watching Bruce Wayne trying to kill Batman.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have a very vivid recollection of a moment in the Spring of the year 2000, I was in fifth grade, and I sat next to a boy named tom. I came in one morning and asked him "Hey, did you watch Laverne and Shirley last night?"

What I'm trying to get at is that kids will watch literally loving anything so why not put some goddamned effort into it?

(I still really like Laverne and Shirley)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I also think a quality product might mean, years later, that consumer will buy it again and again. How many of us loved the Spider-Man/X-Men 90s series as kids, then actually watched an episode on YouTube in our late teens or early 20s and promised to never spend a dime on that poo poo?

But I'd totally buy a Spectacular Spider-Man or EMH collection. Hell, I'd buy a X-Men: Evolution collection as well because at least the last 3 seasons were good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I also think a quality product might mean, years later, that consumer will buy it again and again. How many of us loved the Spider-Man/X-Men 90s series as kids, then actually watched an episode on YouTube in our late teens or early 20s and promised to never spend a dime on that poo poo?

But I'd totally buy a Spectacular Spider-Man or EMH collection. Hell, I'd buy a X-Men: Evolution collection as well because at least the last 3 seasons were good.

Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes are both available on blu-ray.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other news, Young Justice are to make a comeback.

http://www.newsarama.com/21807-young-justice-returns-to-tv-to-take-on-teen-titans-go-directly.html

Albiet, from the sounds, it will just be as a quick cameo/guest stars in an episode. Probably to mock the super serious nature of the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The more YJ is mocked the better.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Question IRL posted:

http://www.newsarama.com/21807-young-justice-returns-to-tv-to-take-on-teen-titans-go-directly.html

Albiet, from the sounds, it will just be as a quick cameo/guest stars in an episode. Probably to mock the super serious nature of the show.

This was revealed at comic con tho, how is the article up only just now?

Anyway, the episode where they fight the TMNT over who loves Pizza more sounds more fun, but yeah, the more YJ mocking the better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we got a bonus box from Diamond that I guess I registered to win back at C2E2, there was a copy of JL War inside with "PROMOTIONAL USE" stick to the case so I grabbed it.

Oh my god, this is so loving bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Question IRL posted:

Aw, last time I can see YJ and is on the TTG! bullshit :smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Aw, last time I can see YJ and is on the TTG! bullshit :smith:

TTG! owns, bro. Sorry you had to hear it from me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Look, he's just in mourning, okay?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sockser posted:

Man, I dunno. There's some funny stuff on TTG, but the show has never really impressed me. I still wish Super Bestfriends Forever had been the DC oriented comedy that they adapted from the DCN shorts. Also, of the episodes I've watched, I've been a little skeeved out by how two of those episodes play up Starfire and Raven as sexy. I mean, it's in the context of other teenagers finding them sexy, but still...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I dunno. There's some funny stuff on TTG, but the show has never really impressed me. I still wish Super Bestfriends Forever had been the DC oriented comedy that they adapted from the DCN shorts. Also, of the episodes I've watched, I've been a little skeeved out by how two of those episodes play up Starfire and Raven as sexy. I mean, it's in the context of other teenagers finding them sexy, but still...

Try and watch the episode with Black Fire and then the episode with Aqualad, those have excellent Starfire and Raven. There's one, can't remember its title, where Starfire starts telling jokes and Cyborg and Beast Boy start hanging out with her more to be a comedic trio. Robin loving loses it because they're not adhering to awful tropes.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The Trigon episode was magical.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Go! has its flaws but I've come to respect its sheer audacity--not in the South Park "let's be as vulgar as possible" sense, obviously, but more in how far it goes being balls-out crazy in really unexpected ways.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1ScTRPRdM

TTG! owns. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Eh, I saw a few episodes and didn't do anything for me, and I actually found the 'humor' obnoxious. Then again I never liked TT either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I remember when they showed this episode at Wonder Con last year :allears: they mentioned it'd be altered when shown on tv, so i kept looking for unfinished animations or something, then the ending happened where Robin just loving dies and the entire room was silent. It was magical and I thought they couldn't possibly put that on the air and it's been magical ever since they did and done more horrifying things since. :allears:

If anyone cares, here's the Comic Con panel from this year. Greg Cipes continues his streak of being high nonstop all day every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8sFhCQDxoU&feature=youtu.be

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its pretty funny how many times episodes have ended with everybody dying.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

TwoPair posted:

The more YJ is mocked the better.

I would empty quote the hell of this if I could. I've never seen a show about super powered teenagers that was so goddamn unfun. Like even Batman the Animated Series had jokes and interaction between likable characters that enjoyed each others company from time to time.

And yeah, I do like the sheer lack of fucks TTG gives. Any show that is willing to have half or more of its characters straight up killed every few episodes is alright in my book. I think irreverent is the right word. Also the original show was at its best when it was super dramatic or super silly, and this out-sillies the original show so I'm down with it as a fan of the original run.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It wouldn't be nearly as amazing if it didn't have the same voice cast, settings, and even some of the writers as the original. It gives just the right amount of credibility to this balls-out crazy universe and the sometimes-ultra-serious original series existing together.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whoa guess I'm the only one that liked YJ. Aqualad, especially. I am pretty bummed he's not in any other media.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Koalas March posted:

Whoa guess I'm the only one that liked YJ. Aqualad, especially. I am pretty bummed he's not in any other media.

I liked the show. It was obviously flawed, but it was far from unwatchable. This thread is extremely anti-YJ though, or at least it feels that way once it got cancelled.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I kept wanting to like it, then kinda stopped watching a bit, then saw the last few episodes of season one and was starting to like it when it ended abruptly with everyone making out and suddenly we're five years into the future, half the main cast becomes recurring characters, the Justice League manages to become more incompetent than usual and Solomon Grundy's episode of JLU is remade but worse.

And that was all when season 2 of Avengers: EMH started going on, so while I dropped a show where I keep hearing that everyone's plotting against everyone and the Light wins all day every day, I was watching a cartoon where everything's colorful, everyone likes each other, Secret Invasion was being set up while heroes were actually winning their battles and plot points from some time ago were getting resolved, plus Beta Ray Bill.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
And then they both got cancelled anyway.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ToastyPotato posted:

I liked the show. It was obviously flawed, but it was far from unwatchable. This thread is extremely anti-YJ though, or at least it feels that way once it got cancelled.
Young Justice was a great premise and was totally watchable for the most part and could have gone great places. It just... didn't. The incomprehensible time skip and awful writing were what killed it.

Basically I think everyone is hoping for the Teen Titans Go episode to end with "Everything is going according to plan"

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

TwoPair posted:

Look, he's just in mourning, okay?

Why would you put the crowbar next to the urn? That's really just a dick move.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Anora posted:

Why would you put the crowbar next to the urn? That's really just a dick move.

Or maybe it's a really Damien move!

Hazo posted:

Young Justice was a great premise and was totally watchable for the most part and could have gone great places. It just... didn't. The incomprehensible time skip and awful writing were what killed it.

The massive delay mid-season as the Korean animation studio went on strike midway through the season really didn't help, and robbed it of a lot of momentum. Had the show been produced in a timely manner I think it would have been more likely to get a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I always wondered about hat timeskip. It was pretty obviously not planned from the beginning and at least for me, it killed all interested into the series, because I hate timeskips. They never work and you are just forced to tell us all the important parts anyway, often via flashback, so you might as well just tell it normally in the first place.

It definitely had some things going for it, e.g. it turned some rather boring villains into great characters and all around great characterization. But there were also some real turds, like the Connor's early behavior, Megan's early behavior and their whole relationship.

Also, in the wake of the Guardians of The Galaxy movie, I rewatched the 1998 Silver Surfer series and even though there are only 13 episodes, it's still a pretty great ride.

e X fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread