Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Faux Mulder posted:

Thanks for all the advice, folks - went with Pikmin in the end.

Since I've bought my Wii U in June I've declared several Wii U games to be, "the best game I've played in a long time," and Pikmin 3 is included in that. You've made a great choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Help Im Alive posted:

3D Land did it better than World but I actually think they have the right idea making the Bowser fights into obstacle courses instead of "hit bowser 3 times"

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, again, personal taste, but I think that last encounter with Bowser in 3D World is pretty sweet. I feel like they were starting to get a bit convoluted and stupid before they started to head in this direction.

Yeah, even if it wasn't quite what I wanted that whole level is excellently designed and leads up to a great final moment and image with the four of them clawing their way up the tower. I think what disappointed me was that I didn't realise that the climb was the final fight - I was expecting to reach the top and then showdown with multiple Bowsers, which could have been a fantastic boss battle. Instead you get up there and there's a big Win The Game button which you press and win.

I'm actually re-evaluating my opinion of the game now that I'm playing through a few more of the bonus levels - there's some really fun stuff in here. I'd still prefer a full-3D environment, I think, but this is pretty fun.

Plessie can gently caress off, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's probably a beta of 3D World with a giant rear end Yoshi instead of Plessie.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I got both a 3DS XL and Wii U refurbished, they're indistinguishable from new systems. Pretty satisfied!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gay skull posted:

Additional PSA:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

MMBN1 is perfectly serviceable. Its just a bit archaic in design

Oh whoops yeah I must have said it in the Mega Man thread and not in the WiiU thread but while I think MMBN1 totally sucks nuts these days I am a DIE HARD FAN of BN2, 3, and 6. BN1 was great for the time but it just absolutely does not hold up any more since the sequels.

Seriously if anyone is tempted to buy BN1 off the eShop just wait for BN2 or 3 which are exponentially better games.

EDIT: Admittedly the main reason I like 6 is because of TenguCross though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

noirstronaut posted:

There's probably a beta of 3D World with a giant rear end Yoshi instead of Plessie.

Reznor never gets any love.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reznor was all over the place in NSMB2.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Since I've bought my Wii U in June I've declared several Wii U games to be, "the best game I've played in a long time," and Pikmin 3 is included in that. You've made a great choice!

Nintendo marketing weeps again

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

It's fun to get to talk about Battle Network again, I like to think of it as one of the last retro RPGs. Speaking of which, did anyone ever figure out why BN4 was such a piece of poo poo? What the hell happened with that game? Why was it so bland, poorly written, typo laden, with redesigned lovely graphics and a shuffled around ACDC town for no reason?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently Sheik is a woman.

I have no idea why Nintendo felt the need to clarify this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alteisen posted:

Yeah they should have... refused to answer?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chronojam posted:

Sorry, I felt it was common knowledge.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alteisen posted:

Where do I ask for clarification on what Birdo is?

(I hope the answer is "a Birdo".)

edit: I imagine loads of people know her from Smash Bros and haven't played Ocarina of Time, if you're wondering why it might not be so common knowledge.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Japan is getting the Mercedes DLC on the 27th of this month. It apparently gives 3 new cars instead of just the one we knew about.

Nintendo seem to be using this to also push out an update that does a bunch of nice things. It sounds like they plan to put the map on screen now, change the default option at the end of a GP race to next race instead of the watch replay it currently defaults to and add a records page that lists your total coin count and online W/L record, among other things.

No date yet for the rest of the world, but I assume we'll know before long.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pokeyman posted:

edit: I imagine loads of people know her from Smash Bros and haven't played Ocarina of Time, if you're wondering why it might not be so common knowledge.

But she turns into Sheik in both Smash games. :confused:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crawfish posted:

It sounds like they plan to put the map on screen now

:qq: I'm... so... happy

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

3 doesn't do that.
Only 4-6 do that. And technically they won't if you save before the stupid alert music and finish the game.

I am like 99.999999% sure I remember hearing this stupid song in the overworld for the entirety of the post-game of 3. 3 is also the only game whose I've ever even REACHED the post-game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alteisen posted:

But she turns into Sheik in both Smash games. :confused:

But they're basically two different characters and look nothing alike in Smash. I can see someone playing Smash as a kid and simultaneously not figuring it out and caring enough to ask questions.

(For the record, I'm on your side, it seems pretty obvious and is a trivial search away if you can't draw the conclusion yourself, but whatever.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Crawfish posted:

So Japan is getting the Mercedes DLC on the 27th of this month. It apparently gives 3 new cars instead of just the one we knew about.

Nintendo seem to be using this to also push out an update that does a bunch of nice things. It sounds like they plan to put the map on screen now, change the default option at the end of a GP race to next race instead of the watch replay it currently defaults to and add a records page that lists your total coin count and online W/L record, among other things.

Thank gently caress! FINALLY I can figure out how close I am to getting that goddamn gold glider!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Can we start a white house petition to get this answered?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chronojam posted:

Yes, actually. The only people asking this question are terrible people, the kind of people who care so deeply whether a fantasy elf princess sometimes has a penis that they have to ask a corporation to clarify the issue.

Ignore these motherfuckers, don't court them.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
It's not like people who are debating this are going to trust a NoA source, or any source, anyway. They'll always cite the manga or whatever.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Sarchasm posted:

Yes, actually. The only people asking this question are terrible people, the kind of people who care so deeply whether a fantasy elf princess sometimes has a penis that they have to ask a corporation to clarify the issue.

Ignore these motherfuckers, don't court them.

I think you're seeing weirdos or misogynists where there aren't any. I never knew as a kid whether the intent was that Sheik was literally just Zelda in a costume or whether she was doing some magic mighty morphin' poo poo to actually turn into a different person, seeing as how she looks totally different. Doesn't mean I was obsessed with her genitals.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Faux Mulder posted:

I think you're seeing weirdos or misogynists where there aren't any.

You think?

That's just one example, I know. I'm not trying to say that there are thousands of these people or that anyone who's ever idly wondered about Elf Bits is a goddamn weirdo. It's just that this a stupid thing for Nintendo to come down and discuss directly, because more than anyone else it just addresses crazy people with webpages comparing Sheik's body to female Olympians.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:qq: I'm... so... happy

Same here. They're fixing the things that really stuck out to me as lovely UI decisions and I love them for it. :swoon:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There are people who are convinced Link is female in the next Wii U Zelda game, so I'm not surprised they had to confirm Sheik is Zelda.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Crawfish posted:

Oh man, I really hope they make it so you can do local multiplayer with one person using the gamepad screen and the other(s) using the tv(splitscreen).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

katkillad2 posted:

There are people who are convinced Link is female in the next Wii U Zelda game, so I'm not surprised they had to confirm Sheik is Zelda.

I wasn't aware there was any debate over this, but I think the argument was more:

1. Is Zelda dressing up as a dude to fool Ganondorf when she's Shiek?
and
2. If so, was she using magic to make herself literally, physically a man while in costume?

In OOT, Ruto called Shiek a "he" so it seemed like "Shiek" as a character Zelda portrays was meant to be a guy -- in the same way that any female Shakespeare character was still a woman even when played by a male actor. That's what I assumed when I played OOT right when it came out.

That said, they changed the dialogue to "she" in OOT 3D and referred to Shiek as a "she" in all material since OOT though (e.g. Smash Bros) so I don't think there was ever any real question -- if Shiek was initially supposed to be a male disguise they pretty quickly changed their minds on that. Despite the tiny ambgiuity, I'm kind of flabbergasted that this was actually a real, legit, internet nerd war though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Faux Mulder posted:

I think you're seeing weirdos or misogynists where there aren't any. I never knew as a kid whether the intent was that Sheik was literally just Zelda in a costume or whether she was doing some magic mighty morphin' poo poo to actually turn into a different person, seeing as how she looks totally different. Doesn't mean I was obsessed with her genitals.

You guys are all ridiculous. They confirmed her gender because there's an entire generation of kids that they want to grab as consumers who weren't even alive when OOT came out. There are millions of kids who were born after September 11th that Nintendo is trying to hook now so that they spend money for the rest of their lives. It's why we have a whole thread of man-children arguing about Zelda canon.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well, I finished up Wonderful 101. What a loving great game. I really felt Pink dragged everything down though. I don't think she had a single line of dialogue that didn't make me groan, and her reactions with Vorken really drag down every scene he's in, which is a shame since him and Immorta are really great characters. I also could have done without the majority of those shooting sections, there were at least 5 too many, what were they thinking?

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Just bought a wii u today along with MH3 (I had played at least 100 hours on the 3DS). I have seem to misplaced my 3DS cartridge when we moved but still have the 3DS I played on. It shows I have a download on my 3DS SD card for MH3 but when I go to transfer my save file from the 3DS transfer app it says it cannot find it or is corrupted. Anyway to fix this or am I just going to have to start again? Wondering if I can just use a buddies cart if it will load my save file. Or miraculously find my MH3 DS game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Just bought a wii u today along with MH3 (I had played at least 100 hours on the 3DS). I have seem to misplaced my 3DS cartridge when we moved but still have the 3DS I played on. It shows I have a download on my 3DS SD card for MH3 but when I go to transfer my save file from the 3DS transfer app it says it cannot find it or is corrupted. Anyway to fix this or am I just going to have to start again? Wondering if I can just use a buddies cart if it will load my save file. Or miraculously find my MH3 DS game.
I'm pretty sure the save is on the cart, the only thing it saves to the SD card is stuff like DLC quests.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

katkillad2 posted:

As someone who was initially under the impression that new Link was a girl, they weren't confirming Sheik was Zelda, you dunce. People thought that Zelda actually straight-up became male when she transformed into Sheik. Why? Who the heck knows.

(also if that was an attempt at humor it was really bad :colbert: )

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

katkillad2 posted:

I kinda don't blame them. If that was Link depicted in that E3 snippet, he was looking pretty androgynous. Of course, that's nothing new to Japan.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

enojy posted:

I kinda don't blame them. If that was Link depicted in that E3 snippet, he was looking pretty androgynous. Of course, that's nothing new to Japan.

I maintain that he looks exactly like ALTTP Link in 3D.

Jsor posted:

Are we talking about Wii U Link? I don't understand how he doesn't look like Link. Aside from the clothes, he's basically just ALTTP Link with a lighter hair shade. I guess there was the ponytail too, but that's a pretty minor embellishment on his design.

I'll grant he doesn't really look like any 3D Link we're used to, though.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh man, I really hope they make it so you can do local multiplayer with one person using the gamepad screen and the other(s) using the tv(splitscreen).
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but, they're never going to do this because of frame rate issues. They wouldn't be able to keep a solid, stable frame rate, and that's why they didn't do it this way in the first place.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

enojy posted:

There will be a Metroid-esque reveal at the end of the new Zelda that Link was a woman all along.

Yes, all of them. That includes the cartoon Link.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

There will be a Metroid-esque reveal at the end of the new Zelda that Link was a woman all along.

Yes, all of them. That includes the cartoon Link.

so would she just take off her shirt and reveal she has boobs taped up to do this or

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Excuse? Me princess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat, I just realized I flubbed up by buying Super Mario 3D World at full price from a brick & mortar shop, when I could've paid about the same amount buying it on the eShop, had it accessible at all times via internal storage, and gotten a bunch of digital download promotion points AKA $5 off.

At least I'll be able to sell the physical copy if I ever decide to (I feel like I'll have it 100% completed within a few weeks.) It plays like the kind of classic Mario game you can come back to 10 years later.

I think the next game I'll get will just be from Amazon; they tend to sell Wii U games for about $12 less than most everywhere else.

• Locked thread