Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ninjahedgehog posted:

Apropos of nothing, I'm pretty sure I'll see a Jayden in the House of Representatives in my lifetime and that really bums me out.

President Jayden w/Vice President Braden

Secretary of State Kaden

Secretary of Treasury Laiden

Secretary of Defense Squaiden

A new party has formed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

You've got a point, but on the other hand, there are definitely 'white guy' names that fit that criterion too. Millard, Ulysses, and Rutherford, to name a few.

And funny enough George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Andrew Jackson were the last three white people to have those last names. And hail to Satan. (21)

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
A girl from high school tried friending me on facebook today. I knew she got married right after high school to a guy named Kevin or something similar I think. She cheated constantly and he figured she'd stop if he married her.

She kept on cheating and got pregnant by a guy named Bradley (middlename) Keith, told the husband it was his, and named the poor kid Bradly Keith (lastname). Misspelling it, and telling the husband it was just a cool name she liked.

They divorced after he caught her with some other guy. Not sure if he ever found out the reason for that name, or that the kid isn't his.

Now apparently 5 years later she just had a daughter. Named Jezabel. And the kids now wear nothing but ICP clothes, as the mom has gained about 100 pounds and become a juggalette since the last time I saw her.

Those poor unfortunate kids...

Another girl just had a daughter and supposedly named her after her grandma Jean. The kid's name? "PersephoneJeane". Can't remember it, but the middle name isn't any better.

I also know kids named Falicittie, Tyranny, Paityn, Haylyn, Hadley, Sedley, and McKaylynn (all girls).

And Eatthon, Kalebb, Brockk, Braedyn, Zayar, Ezekyale, Jacup, Jaxyn and Calup (boys). And one unfortunate little boy whose mom "invented" his name. Not sure how it's spelled, but it's pronounced ig-ZAY-de-an.

I hate living in rural Michigan :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DStecks posted:

Those are names from literally a hundred years ago, though, so maybe they weren't nearly as distinctive in their day. (also you win)

I'm pretty sure the name Ulysses is a bit more than a hundred years old, actually.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Celery Face posted:

Is this it?

Yep, that's the one.
Tyvm :v

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

That Robox posted:

I also know kids named Falicittie, Tyranny, Paityn, Haylyn, Hadley, Sedley, and McKaylynn (all girls).

:stare:

That's some straight-up gangster poo poo right there. Satan-levels of evil. (79)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

That Robox posted:

This rules.

Poor Calup, though. :smith: It sounds like a polite word for pooping.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I'm pretty sure the name Ulysses is a bit more than a hundred years old, actually.

They're refering to the U.S. presidents in the 1800s as comparison to the post with president names from the late 20th century.

:eng101: Ulysses Grant's first name was really Hiram

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Was at a convenience store earlier today and the girl at the register was "Tazjsha" Took me a second to figure out the pronunciation, which I assume would be "Tasha." (84)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

:eng101: Ulysses Grant's first name was really Hiram

He quickly realized nobody was going to take General H.U.G seriously

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Phy posted:

He quickly realized nobody was going to take General H.U.G seriously

He could have gone by Huggie Smalls.

or Satan (90)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Probably British comic fans.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ever heard this one Sndtoben

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Say Nothing posted:

Probably British comic fans.

Nice to see at least one of the Ripley/Xeno hybrids is doing well for herself.

Anyways, for content, I just saw a woman with the surname of Hairy being interviewed on a show on the History Channel. Definitely got a good chuckle out of that.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

This rules.

Poor Calup, though. :smith: It sounds like a polite word for pooping.

Probably pronounced like Caleb. With a p.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

You've got a point, but on the other hand, there are definitely 'white guy' names that fit that criterion too. Millard, Ulysses, and Rutherford, to name a few.
I still think it was the coolest poo poo when I was a substitute teacher this past school year for a class with a student named Gaius Junius.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Probably pronounced like Caleb. With a p.

It is. And Jacup is just like Jacob with a p. It was only a matter of time seeing as that's how people around here tend to pronounce Caleb and Jacob anyway.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ofaloaf posted:

I still think it was the coolest poo poo when I was a substitute teacher this past school year for a class with a student named Gaius Junius.

Calling a kid "Gaius" is tantamount to child abuse.

I can just see some bro sitting there and staring at his girlfriend's ultrasound. "Huh huh huh, that baby looks like a fag. Let's name him GAIUS."

EDIT: I know, I know, "guy-us" but still.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's pretty much the equivalent of naming your child "shithead" and then going "nuh-uh, it's pronounced shi-theed!!" to the doctors trying to take them away from you.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Marius

Gaius Marius[1] (/ˈɡeɪəs ˈmɛəriəs, ˈmær-/; 157 BC – January 13, 86 BC) was a Roman general and statesman. He held the office of consul an unprecedented seven times during his career. He was also noted for his important reforms of Roman armies, authorizing recruitment of landless citizens, eliminating the manipular military formations, and reorganizing the structure of the legions into separate cohorts. Marius defeated the invading Germanic tribes (the Teutones, Ambrones, and the Cimbri), for which he was called "the third founder of Rome."[2] His life and career were significant in Rome's transformation from Republic to Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_%28praenomen%29

Also Emperor Augustus. gently caress the haters.

Imperialist Dog has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Aug 5, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Imperialist Dog posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Marius

Gaius Marius[1] (/ˈɡeɪəs ˈmɛəriəs, ˈmær-/; 157 BC – January 13, 86 BC) was a Roman general and statesman. He held the office of consul an unprecedented seven times during his career. He was also noted for his important reforms of Roman armies, authorizing recruitment of landless citizens, eliminating the manipular military formations, and reorganizing the structure of the legions into separate cohorts. Marius defeated the invading Germanic tribes (the Teutones, Ambrones, and the Cimbri), for which he was called "the third founder of Rome."[2] His life and career were significant in Rome's transformation from Republic to Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_%28praenomen%29

Also Emperor Augustus. gently caress the haters.

My point was that your average sixth grade dickhead bully is not going to understand the historical significance of various Gaiuses (Gaiusii?)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty much the equivalent of naming your child "shithead" and then going "nuh-uh, it's pronounced shi-theed!!" to the doctors trying to take them away from you.

I'm going to name my children and possibly the children of other people if possible Gaius Copronymus. Maybe some adults too also as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha those funny old-world dudes and their cuh-raaaayzee names, right? It sounds funny when you pronounce it phonetically! What a laugh riot!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

pronounce it phonetically

As opposed to pronouncing it __________?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shut up you know what I mean its 4 am and I've been drinking a little

made of bees
May 21, 2013

bringmyfishback posted:

My point was that your average sixth grade dickhead bully is not going to understand the historical significance of various Gaiuses (Gaiusii?)

Gaii, you idiot plebe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

made of bees posted:

Gaii, you idiot plebe.

It's Gai.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

That's why you start the kid on the creatine shakes early

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eh, if you're going to give your kid an old-fashioned Roman-sounding name, why not go with something Hilarius?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ninjahedgehog posted:

Eh, if you're going to give your kid an old-fashioned Roman-sounding name, why not go with something Hilarius?

Or Superbus.

Fake edit: actually means "proud" and not "superb", strangely enough.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Or Superbus.

Fake edit: actually means "proud" and not "superb", strangely enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbus_(transport)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

bringmyfishback posted:

Calling a kid "Gaius" is tantamount to child abuse.

I can just see some bro sitting there and staring at his girlfriend's ultrasound. "Huh huh huh, that baby looks like a fag. Let's name him GAIUS."

EDIT: I know, I know, "guy-us" but still.
Young C. Junius there was the coolest student in the 4th grade classroom and I'm pretty sure he could beat up (or get others to beat up) anybody who started on that "hurr hurr gay-us" line with him. Maybe it was meant to be like that one Johnny Cash song, dunno, but I doubt that name will be an issue for him.

Now the one student from a Chinese family with the name Obediah, he'll probably have to deal with some flak for that. It's a traditional biblical name, sure, but it's hard not to get a mental image of the Amish whenever the name comes up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CJunius is actually my real name, CJacobs is just the internet handle I use so I can pretend I have a normal name.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Now the one student from a Chinese family with the name Obediah, he'll probably have to deal with some flak for that. It's a traditional biblical name, sure, but it's hard not to get a mental image of the Amish whenever the name comes up.

Was his last name Wheatfish

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Also a band.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I went to school with a kid named Zebediah. His brother was just named Lloyd.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Is this it?

My eye just started twitching as I read that

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

My eye just started twitching as I read that

Don't you mean your yyy

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
I just noticed her (presumably) sister's name at the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

sweeperbravo posted:

Was his last name Wheatfish

Hakeswill