Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

Why would a DP not be worth it without air-support? A tough 2+ cover model flying about and assaulting hard targets has, up until this point for me, been nigh-unstoppable.

My last game I had a Nurgle DP with +1W, IWND, and Armourbane/Fleshbane with Iron Arm and it was literally unstoppable. It crushed the head of a generic Eternal Shield CM and went on to own the backfield forever.

It's definitely no pushover, but T5/2+ isn't that unstoppable against shooting- I mean, Autocannons, Serpent Shields, Missile Pods, and all that stuff will still tear you up pretty badly, not to mention Thunderfire Cannons, Manticores, etc. The Gifts and Biomancy will sometimes make him insanely hard to hurt, it's true, but your example is basically the perfect storm of stuff- a lot of the Biomancy table isn't all that amazing for that guy, though obviously the Gifts are almost always useful. If you don't get lucky and roll Iron Arm, though, he's basically a Riptide that is half again the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Vengeful Turtle posted:

How competitive can the chaos dex be in 7th edition? I saw Heldrakes took some nerfs from the changes to vector strike and losing turrets on their flamers. Could I put together a decent list that won't get destroyed at local tourneys? I don't have to come in first but I'd like to avoid being last place all the time.

Depending on whether your group uses Forge World or not, things are about to get a whole lot better for Chaos.... I can't say more than that yet.

Also the Heldrake is still badass and bad news vs MEQ.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Ghost Hand posted:

Depending on whether your group uses Forge World or not, things are about to get a whole lot better for Chaos.... I can't say more than that yet.

Blink twice for IA13, blink once if not.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
OK, Librarian take 2. After a fair few attempts, several cries of "for gently caress's sake", and one incident of gluing my thumb to my index finger I just gave up and went for the boring option :(. I really liked the Dr Doom idea too.

I like it better than the tumour wrist at least, even if it's yet another marine pointing a pistol at someone/thing.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Sykic posted:

OK, Librarian take 2. After a fair few attempts, several cries of "for gently caress's sake", and one incident of gluing my thumb to my index finger I just gave up and went for the boring option :(. I really liked the Dr Doom idea too.

I like it better than the tumour wrist at least, even if it's yet another marine pointing a pistol at someone/thing.

I like this way better. What's the staff from?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
It's from the GK Strike Squad kit. Seemed like a good choice for psyker bits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vengeful Turtle posted:

I've been wanting to start an Alpha Legion force for 40k but I can't decided what codex to use to represent them. I'm leaning more towards the vanilla marines codex since it seems to suit their fluff better. Chapter tactics also would be good to keep things fresh for me if I get bored with a particular playstyle/list. Is there any reason to use the chaos codex besides that book being for traitor marines and all?

The standard Space Marine codex is best, because the Ultramarines are almost all Alpha Legion now anyway :v:

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp
I posted the question on the facebook group for my FLGS and their consensus was to go with the vanilla marine codex. Allies seem to be better for vanilla marines since I can use traitor guard and maybe later some silly deep cover traitor Imperial Knight. I'm going to get a 1000 point list together and see what people think of it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Arkos the Faithless or go home.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

Keep in mind that you have to measure from the hull, not the flight stand (even when in Hover mode), so unless your airplane is doing a bank, is built exceptionally low to the ground, or the objective is on top of some terrain, you probably won't make it within 3" of it.

Good luck, tho- I'd like to go to FoB at some point, but it's really not close enough to me to make it an easy option.

This I'll have to check later but I'm pretty sure you can measure from the base if it's acting like a skimmer. I know the BAO/LVO issued a FAQ going the other way back in 6th for Big Guns and The Scouring but even then I felt ruling was technically incorrect.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

OTOH anyone and everyone is going to shoot a Vindicator off at their earliest convenience so just keep that in mind. Predator's aren't as good but they also don't need to be in melta range to shoot their guns.

I love predators, especially the 30k ones with the domed turrets. If you like armor its hard to say no to ~100pts for an AV13 tank

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

Having talked with some folks in the know, I can confirm that this is the case. And it comes from some pretty competent players, so it's not just going to be "looks pretty, does nothing" kinda units.

Naramyth posted:

This I'll have to check later but I'm pretty sure you can measure from the base if it's acting like a skimmer. I know the BAO/LVO issued a FAQ going the other way back in 6th for Big Guns and The Scouring but even then I felt ruling was technically incorrect.

Nah, you still have to measure to the hull, as per the Skimmer rules. "The base of a Skimmer is effectively ignored, except when charging or ramming it."

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Apparently, every SW psychic power is going to have range 18. :wtc:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Apparently, every SW psychic power is going to have range 18. :wtc:

if they have their own powers at all i'm putting a loving librarian on a wolf space chariot and no one can stop me

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

if they have their own powers at all i'm putting a loving librarian on a wolf space chariot and no one can stop me

The leaks are hitting now with picks of codex pages to confirm. Jaws is now WC2 and also hilariously nerfed. Both WC2 powers they get are bad, though their WC1 powers look alright.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

The leaks are hitting now with picks of codex pages to confirm. Jaws is now WC2 and also hilariously nerfed. Both WC2 powers they get are bad, though their WC1 powers look alright.

And they were previously confirmed by the preorder for the SW card set.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Just wanted to share a quick&dirty edit I saw on FB

:v:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
edit: ^^ Why doesn't wolf-dolph have a red nose?

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

One of you glorious bastards posted a great link to painting lightning effects that I used for the first time today. I think my duder turned out OK:

This is also the first time I've painted such a hard contrast between the recesses and the highlighted ork skin. I like the much brighter look it produces.
You can't post awesome results like that without linking to the tutorial that you used :stare:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Tried out the Lord of Change with my CSM. It was amazing and superfun just flying around setting things on warp fire.

Flamers worth it ?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

quote:

So, quick translation from the stuff over at 40kings.
Warlord Traits
-reroll to hit in challenges
- units made up entirely of beasts or Cavallry gain relentless + furious charge within 12" of the warlord (awkward wording; the relentless has no point of relation, so I'm not entirely sure who gets it)
- Monster Hunter
- 6+FnP for warlord & unit
- Outflank and Stealth for warlord
- reroll morale & pinning tests

Relics
- boltgun with helfrost
- armour with 2+/4++; in a challenge the opponent has -5I
- helmet gives reroll to hit and Ignore Cover for shooting
- frostaxe that gives +3A when outnumbered
- trinket gives Furious Charge to user & unit and Rampage to just the user

Wargear
- Blizzard Shield is a close combat weapon and gives a 3++ in the front arc
- rune weapons are force weapons that give Adamantium Will

Tempestus psyker powers
- SLiving Lightning (primaris); witchfire for 1WC: 18" S7 AP- Assault 3 'totally not Gauss'
- Stormbringer; blessing for 1WC: Shrouded
- Stormwrath; curse for 1WC: 18", -1BS, moves as if in difficult terrain, dangerous terrain for skimmers, jump troops and similar
- Murderous Hurricane; witchfire for 2WC: 18" S4 AP- Assault 1, Large Blast, Rending
- Fury of the Wolf Spirits; witchfire for 2WC (two profiles, can fire both on successful cast): 18" S6 AP- Assault 4 and 18" S5 AP2 Assault 2, Precision Shots
- Jaws of the Wolf Wolf; focused witchfire for 2WC: 18", target has to pass an test on I or be removed

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jaws of the wolf wolf is awesome.

Wolf.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
We just started a killteam campaign at my warhammer club, and we decided to dust of 1/4 of our necromunda terrain for it.

If we decided to go balls out, we could probably cram two tables full of necromunda terrain. Not to mention being able to run 20 tournament tables with our own terrain for regular 40k :shepicide:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DJ Dizzy posted:

We just started a killteam campaign at my warhammer club, and we decided to dust of 1/4 of our necromunda terrain for it.

If we decided to go balls out, we could probably cram two tables full of necromunda terrain. Not to mention being able to run 20 tournament tables with our own terrain for regular 40k :shepicide:

That is some gorgeous stuff man.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Since there has been recent Chaos talk, is the Decimator Daemon Engine worth it? And if so, what load out? I think I'm finally going to take the dive into getting some Forgeworld stuff.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Not really. Its a more survivable forgefiend with slightly better shooting and rnage, but it costs more points. The best loadout are those twin linked heavy 4 autocannons.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Tried out the Lord of Change with my CSM. It was amazing and superfun just flying around setting things on warp fire.

Flamers worth it ?

Everything Daemons is cool until you start dying to Instability or passing out FNP like candy or failing your Grimoire roll every turn.

I run Flamers in 3s as suicide Deep Strike units, usually 1 or 2 units because there's not much FOC competition in the Elites slot. 3 models lets you set up in a straight line which means every model can fire it's flame template. I think 4 would be okay as well with the 4th Flamer strategically on the front but any more than that and you start running into models that can't fire without clipping another model which means they can't shoot when they arrive and probably won't get to shoot at all before dying. This is pretty much the only way to run them, if you try and jump them up the table they will just get blown away long before they do any damage.

Flamers are pretty decent for 69 points as long as you're okay with taking the Deep Strike risk of landing in "very likely to mishap" spots, landing within Rapid Fire all the time and also realizing they will get 1 or 2 shooting attacks before they die. S4 AP4 isn't amazing but it will absolutely ruin non 3+ armor and even against marines if you don't scatter out of template range you can still pile on tons of hits on a unit. Last time I played, 3 flamers ended up doing 18 hits on a Tac squad on the same turn they arrived. I only ended up with 4 wounds though but that's the dice for you. The Warpflame test ended up doing another 3 non-saveable (there was no invul involved) wounds. After they arrive and shoot you end up with a relatively fragile T4/2W/5++ jump unit that is pretty dangerous but nobody wants to assault lest they eat a bunch of D3 S4/AP4 Warpflame auto-hits which means at least one unit will have to divert it's shooting away from your "main force" in order to take out the Flamers.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 6, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, I think you're doing it right. Ditch the landing gear :orks101: and see if you can find a flying base on ebay or something.

So you're saying I should give it VTOL engines in place of wheels? That sounds like a good idea.

If I paint it purple does that mean I've invented the Ork version of an F-35?

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 6, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shadeoses posted:

So you're saying I should give it VTOL engines in place of wheels? That sounds like a good idea.

Look up Me 163 Komet.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shadeoses posted:

Not even Orks could make the F-35 work. :v:
I had tried to imply that orks don't use landing gear, but this works too.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

I think it's awesome and as fluffy as any of the weird wound allocation rules they've had in the last four editions or so. The shooters are all like "gently caress me here's the chance to cut the head off the loving serpent, best shoot at that prick like I learned watching The Patriot" and the chief's all like "gently caress you guys I'm immortal and I'm leading this poo poo from the front like the stories say."

Mechanically I hate casualties from the front, but it's a lot more realistic than how the meltagun and sergeant were always :sparkles: miraculously :sparkles: being the last two guys in the squad to die.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't know if you did this intentionally, but you have his shoulder pads backwards. Also you're missing the chest emblem.
As a Grey Knights player, the shoulderpads look fine to me :colbert: I'm a little biased to the 'name and heraldry on the right, chapter iconography on the left' style though

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Does anybody else just not even put models together until they're already at least partially painted? I found out early on I don't have sufficiently steady hands to hit small details around bodily obstacles without a ton of trouble.
It's something I've started doing a lot more in recent years. With 'Nids I could get away with it but once I started playing GKs who actually have details to paint, I made the switch, benign essential hand tremors are a bitch to deal with. I usually assemble the parts that I can easily paint around and leave some arms off until painting's done (usually two-handed weapons and guns).

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 6, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I finished my Librarian recently. I'm terrible at taking pictures but here it is along with a WIP dreadnought:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Someone in this thread mentioned using washes mixed with medium to bring down basecoats; can that person go into more detail? I'm working on an ultramarines storm raven and after basecoating with ultramarine spray primer, I washed one of the canopys in drakawhatever nightshade (which is what I do with all of my ultramarines) to get a darker tone and the color is right but it's way too splotchy. On a marine you can just make sure pools are in good spots, but on a vehicle with giant flat sections it seems like you need to make sure there is no pooling at all. If I can't figure out how to make it nice and even, I'll probably just paint over it with my remaining dark blue foundation paint and be sad that it's all gone. But that'll take so long and I might run out before finishing, so I'd much rather figure out how to use the wash.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's definitely a painting thread question but:

To remove the wash use mineral spirit or 98% isopropyl alcohol. If you have some vodka or everclear laying around that works too. Basically put it on an old brush and rub the affected area until the acrylic wash goes away. Be careful as too much will take away the primer.

The best way to avoid wash pooling on large areas is to mix in some gloss varnish.

e:

Sulecrist posted:

I finished my Librarian recently. I'm terrible at taking pictures but here it is along with a WIP dreadnought:

Really digging the respirator conversion

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 6, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is asking about sources for battle scribe considered warez? I promise to erase the ones I don't own.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sykic posted:

It's from the GK Strike Squad kit. Seemed like a good choice for psyker bits.

A thousand times this. The GK kits are fantastic sources of bits. If you get the warding staff (as seen on Sykic's librarian), cut out the skull and trim down the semicircle to just below the big spikes, it makes a great Iron Halo. It's what I use for my GK Grand Masters, and since you generally don't use them that much they are usually in abundance (one per box, available in both the PAGK and GKT kits).

Bulbasaur, sell me on 30k. I really want to pick up some Emperor's Children, how do their special units fare in-game?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

LingcodKilla posted:

Is asking about sources for battle scribe considered warez? I promise to erase the ones I don't own.

Not in the slightest.

http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k is the best one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I talked Hixson out of starting an EC army in the past :(

I love their colors and how they're supposed to play, but they have some of the weaker rules out of the legions. Basically, they are above average in 30k, but below average in 40k. Why? All of them have to accept challenges, but get the crusader USR and +1 initiative in challenges as their 'perk'. For +15 points you can give them sonic shriekers which gives them an additional +1 initiative. They are an army of I6 marines that want to be in melee where they are usually guaranteed to win the first round of combat and have a high chance of murderizing the squads that run away. In 30k where there is no such thing as ATSKNF and fearless is rare, this is a big deal. In 40k where everybody is so grimdark they forgot how to fear things, this isn't optimal. You do get awesome Power Spears on all your ICs, though.

Palatine Blades- are expensive, but they are really scary when you give them jump packs and power swords/power spears. With their WS, 2+, AP2, 12" move, and I5/6 they are basically guaranteed to win the first round of combat against anything that isn't fearless (including terminators!). They are still T4 and only have 1 wound though, so they are a glass hammer.

Kakaphonie- decent in 30k, pretty bad in 40k

Phoenix Guard- super expensive, but they turn any drawn combat near them into a victory for the EC. You could probably make an interesting synergy list with these and a big melee blob.

Bottom line is that EC are an elite melee army. In an shooty shooty game, that means they are at a disadvantage, but you can certainly make them work. I'm sure there are some hilarious ally options you could pull off.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I mainly like their fluff and pre-heresy scheme (I did a small Chaos force with silver trim instead of gold a few years back) and I'd love to get around to doing that again, purple is such a nice colour to paint in the same way that blue is.

If I was to play them as a 40k army I'd just use the Kakaphony as counts-as Noise Marines or something and play out of the 40k CSM 'dex. 30k marines are dirt-cheap compared to their 40k counterparts so I don't really want to be throwing that at the other player.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep, its pretty easy to make an army you can run using both rules. As for 30k troops being cheaper than 40k? That's deceiving. You might get a little more bang for your buck when you have a squad of 20, but that's 250 points walking across the table. At 1500 points close to half your army is going to be bolter marines without anything special weapons. If you run groups of 10 then you're paying 10 more points that for a CSM squad which has more options :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I was mainly looking at the additional marines being 10ish points per model, but that makes sense. Vehicles are still on the same points scale though, are they?

• Locked thread