Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oooooooh the long weekend is starting here in Canada.

I put a Moss shift turret rebuild kit into the Miata, and found that I ended up with an extra shim that wasn't on the original shift linkage. I'm assuming this is to shorten the shift or something, but I didn't need it and it seems to be working okay. I topped it off with a fresh Topgaiters shift boot (:10bux:!) as the old one was filthy and gummy and sticky and had holes in it and was turning brown.

As you can tell, the camera flash is very proficient at finding the places in the interior I haven't yet cleaned properly:

gently caress you, PO.

Tomorrow I'm going to finish off my fence and then if there's time put new ball joints into the Impreza. Rock Auto sent me two Moog joints but only one of them has the hardware baggie included; perhaps customs got some sticky fingers.

The rear end still doesn't feel as taut as I'd expect, I have a suspicion it might be time to start replacing suspension.. which is going to get expensive.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

a stainless cooking pot used as a random hardware holder, the mark of a true pro

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

a stainless cooking pot used as a random hardware holder, the mark of a true pro

I actually used it to make candles for Christmas gifts last year, which resulted in it becoming ruined and therefore expunged from the kitchen for all eternity. It actually owns hard, even has silk screened graduations on the side so you can tell how much fluid your diff just spit up.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Sonax also smells like complete rear end and I have had people ask me what the gently caress I was doing when I used it at a pay-n-spray because they could smell it.

Still owns hard.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Sonax also smells like complete rear end and I have had people ask me what the gently caress I was doing when I used it at a pay-n-spray because they could smell it.

Still owns hard.

Yes, agree. Probably a good thing though, it's extremely toxic stuff.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Brake fluid flush in the wife's passat. It was apparently far past due, that's just fluid I pulled out of the reservoir.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

This arrived, somewhat unexpectedly. The seller didn't give me tracking info so I had no idea whether it had even gone out yet.

It's an adjustable bump-stop for the clutch pedal. The stock one is just a little plastic nub which does absolutely nothing. The Z3's (or at least the ///M for sure) have this obnoxious problem where the clutch pedal seems to have two "steps." In, and then slightly beyond in... It makes the car feel broken.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

As a tribute to Satan, while I'm saving cash for the five lug conversion with brakes and new wheels/tires, I decided to Plasti-dip my wheels for increased evil. I believe the evil has been increased.

(56)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Count Freebasie posted:

As a tribute to Satan, while I'm saving cash for the five lug conversion with brakes and new wheels/tires, I decided to Plasti-dip my wheels for increased evil. I believe the evil has been increased.

(56)

I know coupes are technically better, but i loving love the hatchs.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

I know coupes are technically better, but i loving love the hatchs.

Both Satan and I are fans of the notch-backs (we have exceptional taste), and I would probably would have chosen one of them over this, but I got this for a steal, and the condition is pretty cherry for an '87. (57)

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Count Freebasie posted:

(56)

You can do a 4 lug disc conversion (Late Model has the kits) save a couple bucks and still have plenty of wheel options and then put the rest into suspension. Fox bodies have a pretty mediocre stock suspension, especially the control arms which are cheap stamped steel and don't age well. Invest in a set of rear control arms and a nice sway bar. Way better than a five lug swap- and instantly noticeable.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Propaganda Bob posted:

You can do a 4 lug disc conversion (Late Model has the kits) save a couple bucks and still have plenty of wheel options and then put the rest into suspension. Fox bodies have a pretty mediocre stock suspension, especially the control arms which are cheap stamped steel and don't age well. Invest in a set of rear control arms and a nice sway bar. Way better than a five lug swap- and instantly noticeable.

Thanks for the info; much appreciated. (69)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Count Freebasie posted:

Thanks for the info; much appreciated. (69)

So, I gotta ask, how did you :toxx: yourself into having to mention Satan in all your posts, and how many do you have to do?

hail satan

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

So, I gotta ask, how did you :toxx: yourself into having to mention Satan in all your posts, and how many do you have to do?

hail satan

It came out of the "Jesus Lovers" debate thread in GBS where I would hop in sporadically and just say hail satan. On a whim, I toxxed myself to glorify/mention Satan for 666 posts in order to gain some infernal powers. Hopefully his Dark Majesty will be so gracious as to allow it. (75)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Oh sweet god why did I buy this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because you hate money, and love taking things apart to fix completely unrelated things.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Powershift posted:

Because you hate money, and love taking things apart to fix completely unrelated things.

It's like you've looked into my soul.

Good thing the PO had new struts/springs installed along with completely new timing belt/tensioners along with a new water pump. Completely new brakes on all four corners as well. The bill from the dealership was around $3,000.

Everything electrical works as well. (Heated seats, sunroof, mirrors,etc.) :iiam:

Good thing I bought it for $900 right? :shepicide:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Since I had to replace the rear vent in the center console, I figured I would upgrade the cup holder to a Euro sliding one. But because I have a bastard model Sportwagen what normally fits in a mkv magically doesn't fit in mine. Now I get to scour the junkyards to see if an earlier center console will work or if I'm going to have to sell the cup holder.

At least I replaced the vent I guess.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
98 F150 - changed the starter on the side of the road because it decided to stop doing it's job, then replaced the front rotors / wheel bearings a few days later.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
'08 Charger swapped in some moog swaybar bushings in an effort to stiffen up the front end. Helped but I really need to find some 300lb+ springs for the front :(

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Took the top off and drove it through some muddy trails on a gorgeous day.

Cheap beater trucks are the best.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished buying a house on Thursday so today I bought the transmission for the S10. I can see the finish line on this 5.3 swap now...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

New wheel setup.

DSC_4068 by AVIDWORKS, on Flickr

Needs a lot of tweaking still. Have to pull camber out of the rear and figure out how the hell to make the front work without rubbing on every turn with the taller tires (almost an inch taller than stock). I really don't want to raise it up, I love the way it sits right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ordered a new "Door Applique", since apparently that's what that piece of trim that flew off on the highway is called.

Finding the coupe version is a bitch. And when you do find them on eBay, they want more than a brand new piece from a dealer. Found one on gmpartscenter.net for $24.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Today I finally got around to trying the old toothpaste headlight polish trick on my Kei's ever yellowing lenses. I wasn't expecting a lot but for the price of the materials the results were pretty drat good and the actual useability of the headlights has improved greatly.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Fushin posted:

Finished buying a house on Thursday so today I bought the transmission for the S10. I can see the finish line on this 5.3 swap now...

Can I get more info on this? After my car is paid off in a few months I wanna getna 4x4 5-speed S10 and swap a V8 into it.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can I get more info on this? After my car is paid off in a few months I wanna getna 4x4 5-speed S10 and swap a V8 into it.

I've heard the 4x4 S10s are harder to do the swap on because of the transfer case up front. Still possible though. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/lsx-discussion/ will have a lot of conversion information to get you started though. I have some pictures in here of my progress but so far it's been pretty simple. The worst I've had to deal with has been the power steering pump hitting the accessory bracket so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

emotive posted:

New wheel setup.

DSC_4068 by AVIDWORKS, on Flickr

Needs a lot of tweaking still. Have to pull camber out of the rear and figure out how the hell to make the front work without rubbing on every turn with the taller tires (almost an inch taller than stock). I really don't want to raise it up, I love the way it sits right now.

Perfection. Also: hammer.

Ghetto mod of the day:

Aux input in place of tape deck input.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Perfection. Also: hammer.

Ghetto mod of the day:

Aux input in place of tape deck input.

Very nice. Is there a write up for this ? I always wondered but never went very far. I replaced the rubber band on my tape deck so I could continue using a tape adapter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, I didn't have a writeup. Which deck do you have? Not too difficult - just find where the tape deck sends the input from the tape daughterboard to the mainboard, solder your aux cable onto these points, and run the cable out of the back of the deck case. Only annoying thing is that you use a pen or something to engage the tape head if you end up switching modes but at least no one is going to break into your poo poo when they see a stock deck... also $free.

If you have the slider deck I have a better pic that I can label.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also, as an aside... I think I'm going to pull out the wire I soldered in and put this into the radio instead.
http://www.parts-express.com/bt-1a-bluetooth-receiver-module-for-wireless-reception-of-bluetooth-audio-signals--320-353

Desolder the jacks and go directly onto the PCB.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Who could have possible thought those twisted wires were a good choice for a stock photo?

That device does seem pretty nifty. I replaced my stock cassette player just so I could have bluetooth but with a thing like this I could have the best of both!

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Helped my downstairs neighbor with a stuck thermostat in his Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l

I continued to cook this thing for another ten minutes after I took the pic. Wouldn't even crack open a little.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

This arrived. I don't think I've seen such a clean wheel of this vintage ever before. Absolutely pristine. It's almost TOO good because it looks so much cleaner than mine which have 139k on em now.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

new ZHP shift knob

the old lovely illuminated knob that sucks and is lame

new

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Did they send you the Haribo gummy bears too?

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Did they send you the Haribo gummy bears too?

haha yup

German Haribo :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

haha yup

German Haribo :colbert:

thats rad

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love that Forester gauge pod. I think djcommie is still holding onto his for me, but it's in imperial units.

I gave it to the guy who bought my Impreza for $500, which sucks since he cut the roof off and probably threw it away. Double sucks since I actually bought a 99 Forester :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
(shakes fist) You better not have thrown out those several thousand pounds in worthless old Macs too. :v: