Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

At least we don't elect judges in political elections. That would be a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Ice Cream chat makes me sad because I turned lactose intolerant hardcore over the last 6 months or so and I loving love dairy products, I'm somewhere between anger and depression in the 7 stages of grief

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Ice Cream chat makes me sad because I turned lactose intolerant hardcore over the last 6 months or so and I loving love dairy products, I'm somewhere between anger and depression in the 7 stages of grief
Lactaid will save you, fellow dairy enthusiast!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
you should always get on juries, its basically your only chance to participate in the legal system without being the subject of it

sway juries all day every day

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
When I got on a jury it was a medical malpractice case and by the end I wanted to sentence everyone in the courtroom (outside my fellow jurors) to hard time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

rscott posted:

Frozen yogurt can be pretty okay :shobon:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
There is this idea that is bouncing in my head for a while. I want to do a D&D in D&D thread with a campaign centering around an election for Emperor with the PCs vying for domination.

I am looking at the rules for 13th Age, and I am trying to see how they can be tweaked to accommodate the enterprise. Yes, I know that it isn't D&D, but it works. Either that or we go with a Vampire: The Requiem campaign, which would be so much more realistic.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Shadowcatboy beat you to it in 2012 and in .gif form.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have jury duty in the Houston municipal court tomorrow, I'm actually kinda excited. :shobon:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
That's a nice court. Good luck!

E: bring something to read though, cell phone service in the waiting area can be spotty.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

That's a nice court. Good luck!

E: bring something to read though, cell phone service in the waiting area can be spotty.

bring a copy of 12 Angry Men and see if they still let you in

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's the Lubbock one, I think there are two? I was just going to bring my Kindle for the jury assembly area. Should I bring a regular old book instead? I occasionally volunteer with one of the homeless day centers in the area, so I know my way around, but do they let you out for food? Should I bring my lunch too? Question mark?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Zeitgueist posted:

you should always get on juries, its basically your only chance to participate in the legal system without being the subject of it

sway juries all day every day

Is jury nullification actually a thing or just something that shows up in movies every now and again?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ashford v Thornton was the last time the court sought a real judicial process.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cheekio posted:

Is jury nullification actually a thing or just something that shows up in movies every now and again?
Making it known somehow that you are aware of jury nullification is the best way to get rejected at jury selection, apparently.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Shadowcatboy beat you to it in 2012 and in .gif form.

http://onthecampaigntrail.org/

Ron Paul: "What kind of village is this?"
Barry: "Halfling."
Ron Paul: "poo poo."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
gently caress I forgot just how magical that was.

"That's 1d4 whores right?" :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend served on a grand jury, which would be rad as hell.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've gotten two jury summonses from different courts, both times I ticked the box asking to postpone it and never heard anything back. I totally would want to do it sometime.

Also hey guys I've beem watching House Of Cards and it's pretty great, but I'm probably the last D&D reader to watch it and ya'll likely already know that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I had a jury duty summons once, I told the judge I wouldn't be able to make the date cause of illness and I coughed up blood on my sleeve in front of him and the bailiff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I got a little thing of ice cream from Kroger's awhile back that was pretty great.

Tea tea :suicide:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I had a jury duty summons once, I told the judge I wouldn't be able to make the date cause of illness and I coughed up blood on my sleeve in front of him and the bailiff.

Good trick. Little did they know it wasn't your blood.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Shear Modulus posted:

Also hey guys I've beem watching House Of Cards and it's pretty great, but I'm probably the last D&D reader to watch it and ya'll likely already know that.

I hate House Of Cards' main character so much I had to stop watching after season 1 ended. I'll enjoy watching through after they're done, as his (inevitable) downfall will be amazing :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Depends on how they end it really.

I still think the British one is better.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jerry Cotton posted:

Good trick. Little did they know it wasn't your blood.

I wish, I had pneumonia and had to go to the hospital a few days later when it just wasn't getting any better at all. Still ducking the collector calls on that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
jury duty's lame

i've gotten three summons and each time you sit around for 4 hours only to get dismissed or find out the case got postponed

you have to be a special kind of stupid to get picked anyway because they only want people who actually believe anything a lawyer says

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
court is actually quite fun to watch

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Shear Modulus posted:

I've gotten two jury summonses from different courts, both times I ticked the box asking to postpone it and never heard anything back. I totally would want to do it sometime.

I haven't seen any House Of Cards yet, or Alpha House, or most of what is recommended in these threads. There isn't even a real reason for me not watching them, they sound interesting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alc%C3%A1ntara_Bridge

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Here are all the suckers people who've donated at least $10,000 to Lessig's anti-PAC PAC.

Honourable mentions include Peter Thiel, Paul Graham, and Sean Parker.

If none of the names on the list mean anything to you - how I envy you - it's basically a tally of couch-cushion change from our Silicon Valley overlords.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ufarn posted:

Here are all the suckers people who've donated at least $10,000 to Lessig's anti-PAC PAC.

Honourable mentions include Peter Thiel, Paul Graham, and Sean Parker.

If none of the names on the list mean anything to you - how I envy you - it's basically a tally of couch-cushion change from our Silicon Valley overlords.
I see Brian Boyko is still running banner ads for it on SA. He must still be lurking.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Brian Boyking!

Hedera Helix posted:

I haven't seen any House Of Cards yet, or Alpha House, or most of what is recommended in these threads. There isn't even a real reason for me not watching them, they sound interesting.
I kind of hate to build up Alpha House, because when I first discovered it, it had completely flown under the radar and I just stumbled onto it - that's part of what made it so great. Totally unexpected. If you go in expecting sheer brilliance you'll be let down, but think of it as a sleeper and it's worth it. It has a lot of structural problems, but the dialog and plots and characters are often hilarious (by the time Louis goes to the sandbox you should be laughing pretty hard).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Brian Boyking!
I kind of hate to build up Alpha House, because when I first discovered it, it had completely flown under the radar and I just stumbled onto it - that's part of what made it so great. Totally unexpected. If you go in expecting sheer brilliance you'll be let down, but think of it as a sleeper and it's worth it. It has a lot of structural problems, but the dialog and plots and characters are often hilarious (by the time Louis goes to the sandbox you should be laughing pretty hard).

It has many fewer such problems than House of Cards. Alpha House is actually about Congress; House of Cards is like a 16th century Italian play or something, people are not exactly suffused with nuanced motivations.

The episode with Bettancourt's primary debate tactic was a loving clinic.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, but if you build it up to mythical status then the reality is like, "Well it's good, but..." Managing expectations is key. It's like how we say, "Oh it's a SedanChair post" but then if you read it often it's actually funny, whereas if you built it up it'd be like "Ohhhh :("

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
<- owned

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In the jury assembly area, CNN is playing and Pat Roberts is going on about the liberal agenda

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes, Minister owns and also lets you understand about the weird rear end British system of government.

Also, why the gently caress do we still use apostrophes? Is there a single sentence you can make up where the meaning is totally opaque with an omitted apostrophe? No.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, Minister is surprisingly good for a show that's a thinly veiled Thatcher manifesto.

I'm not holding out much hope for Madam Secretary being any good, which is unfortunate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Also, why the gently caress do we still use apostrophes? Is there a single sentence you can make up where the meaning is totally opaque with an omitted apostrophe? No.
Sounds like y'all's family ain't really from Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Sounds like yalls family aint really from Texas.

I dont know, this theory is checking out so far

• Locked thread