Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That's how it felt at the last show of his I saw. He was doing his best, but it seemed he really wanted it to be over quick. I was able to have a brief chat after with him and get the set list signed, though, and he looked pretty darn tired.
I think Z2 will be a big load off his shoulders as there's been so much expectation and hype for it for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
@dvntownsend So hey! April 13, 2015... We're going to do a 'Ziltoid musical' at the Royal Albert Hall! ...indeeeed! :)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

So, I haven't listened to Devy in over ten years and stopped following him after Accelerated Evolution. Somehow I got the impression he slowed down at some point so I had no idea we as a society were currently undergoing a devin renaissance. So I decided to give all of his stuff a listen again.

Ocean Machine, City and Terria are still my favorites but I'm surprised by how much I'm loving Deconstruction and Addicted. I'm really happy that he's integrated (is integrating?) all these moods which previously had their own little side projects ie: Strapping Young Lad is angry Devin, etc. Ziltoid seems to get a lot of love around here so I think I'll check that one out next.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know it's likely no one else in this thread really cares all that much about Stolen Babies (the band, not the general concept), but this makes me oh so very happy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I saw them when they opened for DTP and wasn't thrilled, but that was mostly down to just not liking that particular sound. They're a talented bunch of musicians, I can't say it's a bad decision.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

AzureSkys posted:

That's how it felt at the last show of his I saw. He was doing his best, but it seemed he really wanted it to be over quick. I was able to have a brief chat after with him and get the set list signed, though, and he looked pretty darn tired.
I think Z2 will be a big load off his shoulders as there's been so much expectation and hype for it for a while now.

Dev has been so busy recently, the dude is firing off on all cylinders with these new albums and tours. He really needs to take a break soon. Last time I saw him he had some allergies and his nose and throat were messed up. He's up there trying to clear his throat to sing the high notes but man I felt pretty bad for him.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

axleblaze posted:

I know it's likely no one else in this thread really cares all that much about Stolen Babies (the band, not the general concept), but this makes me oh so very happy.

This will be glorious.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
So DT posted this on his facebook page:

Is there any reality in which this isn't the best advertisement ever? I really hope he sells these.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ha, I was just about to post that, its great :).

He is doing a Ziltoid show at none other than the Royal Albert Hall here in London. Nothing will keep me from going to that. It's great that he does all the special stuff here - The four albums in By a Thread followed by the premier at the little cinema, The Retinal Circus, Casualties of Cool in Sep and now this. Love it.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I bought a new unplugged Devy CD the other day, they still got 239 left!

https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsend/app_352907568132126

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Varg posted:

I bought a new unplugged Devy CD the other day, they still got 239 left!

https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsend/app_352907568132126

Well, the album itself isn't "new", it was released in 2011...

http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-Devin-Townsend/dp/B006Z1XKD2

I found the track list to be pretty underwhelming. Funeral was cool. But am I the only guys who loving hates In-Ah? I always, always, always skip over it.

henpod posted:

He is doing a Ziltoid show at none other than the Royal Albert Hall here in London. Nothing will keep me from going to that. It's great that he does all the special stuff here - The four albums in By a Thread followed by the premier at the little cinema, The Retinal Circus, Casualties of Cool in Sep and now this. Love it.

But... why? Why does everything happen in London? This isn't jealousy talking. I'm in loving central Florida, nothing special would happen here, and it's not like I can go to New York or Toronto. I just don't understand. He's Canadian, he hangs out in Vancouver, he could play Toronto, or a major American city. Why does he keep going over the Atlantic?

And you'll notice, those Unplugged albums are shipping from the UK too...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Revol posted:

But... why? Why does everything happen in London? This isn't jealousy talking. I'm in loving central Florida, nothing special would happen here, and it's not like I can go to New York or Toronto. I just don't understand. He's Canadian, he hangs out in Vancouver, he could play Toronto, or a major American city. Why does he keep going over the Atlantic?

And you'll notice, those Unplugged albums are shipping from the UK too...

I have no idea, if I ever meet him again I will ask. It great for me since I live here, but I imagine it must be frustrating to not really get the chance for all of these special shows. I still remember the premier for the By a Thread DVD premier. There were only about 50 of us there as it was a boutique cinema place and Devin was going round giving people popcorn and chatting poo poo. I went to the toilet and he was hanging around just outside in the foyer area. I was drunk and suddenly realised, 'poo poo it's just me and Devin'. Said hello, big fan, all the usual poo poo and left him to it - I think he was taking a moment and I didn't want to bug him. I do remember telling him he should do a follow up called Reconstruction, which could be happy, but still heavy as balls. He had a mic the whole time we were watching the shows up on screen and gave the occasional burp or funny comment about whatever. Was pretty special.

I'm hoping the Casualties show is going to have that same intimate vibe - it's in a church I believe!

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 1, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still remember when some London person in the thread was complaining that they could only go to 3 out of 4 of the DTP album shows and how I wanted to punch that person in the face.

Anyways, new music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muNLqPPTuDQ

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I still haven't received my pledge drawing of my cat. Is anyone else still waiting for their stuff?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I finally got around to really listening to Ayreon's The Human Equation where Devin does a few guest vocals. Man, he loving nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdBsmeDbQQ&t=173s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixZwwTBADis&t=234s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYSxxYCBgc&t=247s

There's supposed to be a stage adaptation of the album in the works, and the role of Rage has yet to be announced. The guy works too hard as it is, but would it ever be fantastic to see him reprise the role for the live performance.

Thom711
Mar 21, 2013
http://concert.arte.tv/de/wacken

DTP Wacken show will be streaming two hours from now :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Chocobo posted:

I finally got around to really listening to Ayreon's The Human Equation where Devin does a few guest vocals. Man, he loving nailed it.

Spectacular album, probably my favorite one by Arjen. Mikael from Opeth is on it too.

About Devin's part of it, he had creative freedom even though Arjen didn't really know him. Wrote his own lyrics, recorded it himself in Canada. Arjen basically said in email "OK so you're playing 'rage' on this concept album" and Devin went "OK when I'm back from touring I'll create something and send it over".

http://www.arjenlucassen.com/content/devin-townsend/

quote:

- How did you get in touch with Devin?
Arjen: I got his emailaddress from our mutual label Inside Out and asked him if he would be interested to guest on this Ayreon album. At first he simply said ‘no’, because he doesn’t like to sing other people’s lyrics and melodies. Because I really wanted to have him on this album I suggested that he could write his own lyrics. He agreed, so I sent him the instrumental tracks, explained him what the story is about and told him I would like him to portray the emotion ‘Rage’.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just watched his show at Wacken. "I was in the studio until 10 this morning. This is loving weird!". Dude needs a long break.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thom711 posted:

http://concert.arte.tv/de/wacken

DTP Wacken show will be streaming two hours from now :)

For those of us who, for some reason or other, couldn't stream the concert, Devy shared this on Facebook.

e: Devin is the goofiest metalhead :3:

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 3, 2014

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
God I wish he'd release a remake of Ocean Machine, or at least a remaster. If the production were better it'd be my top album of all time. It's already close.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
It looks like all the ziltoid radio shows are of the Internet. :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"There's so many loving women! And in metal terms, that means SIX!"

Devin :swoon:

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Rusty Kettle posted:

It looks like all the ziltoid radio shows are of the Internet. :(

Was it only just the 7 he ended up doing, rather than the 42 he initially promised? I got pretty tired of the Ziltoid character and it sounded like Devin was too but man did he have great taste in music.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Stoat posted:

"There's so many loving women! And in metal terms, that means SIX!"

Devin :swoon:

"I've been married 25 years. That means it's been 23 years since I've had a blowjob. Unless you count my dad!"

:swoon::swoon:

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I still remember when some London person in the thread was complaining that they could only go to 3 out of 4 of the DTP album shows and how I wanted to punch that person in the face.

That was probably me. Still pissed I didn't see Ghost :)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Then you're going to hate me, I only went to Addicted and Deconstruction. Looking back I definitely would have gone to Ki but would have given ghost a miss probably. Really looking forward to Casualties, I love the album.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Devin Townsend is finally coming to my city as a headliner instead of an opening act :dance:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

quote:

Animals as Leaders, the Devin Townsend Project + Monuments 2014 North American Tour:

11/17 @ Studio Seven – Seattle, Wash.
11/18 @ Commodore Ballroom – Vancouver, British Columbia
11/19 @ Level Nightclub – Kelowna, British Columbia
11/21 @ Union Hall – Edmonton, Alberta
11/22 @ The Gateway – Calgary, Alberta
11/23 @ O’Brians Event Centre – Saskatoon, Sasketchewan
11/24 @ The Garrick Centre – Winnipeg, Manitoba
11/25 @ First Avenue – Minneapolis, Minn.
11/26 @ Metro – Chicago, Ill.
11/28 @ St. Andrews Hall – Detroit, Mich.
11/29 @ House Of Blues – Cleveland, Ohio
11/30 @ Phoenix Concert Theatre – Toronto, Ontario
12/01 @ Club Soda – Montreal, Quebec
12/03 @ Rams Head Live – Baltimore, Md.
12/04 @ Trocadero – Philadelphia, Pa.
12/05 @ The Palladium – Worcester, Mass.
12/06 @ Webster Hall – New York, N.Y.
12/08 @ Center Stage – Atlanta, Ga.
12/10 @ Backstage Live – San Antonio, Texas
12/11 @ Gas Monkey Bar N Grill – Dallas, Texas
12/13 @ Gothic Theatre – Englewood, Colo.
12/14 @ Sunshine Theater – Albuquerque, N.M.
12/15 @ The Nile Theatre – Mesa, Ariz.
12/16 @ The Mayan – Los Angeles, Calif.
12/17 @ The Regency Ballroom – San Francisco, Calif.

I think I need to go to the Atlanta show. I live in Tampa, and I have never been outside of the state of Florida before.

If you don't know them, Animals as Leaders are loving excellent.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit Devin, stop playing the Palladium...

Oh well, seeing him with Animals as Leaders again (actually I think Animals as Leader opening for Devin was how I heard of them in the first place) will be cool. Hopefully I won't get kicked out this time but this time I won't bother with the pit so it shouldn't be a problem.

And here's the actual dates since no one's posted them:

e:f;b

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
UGH, I so badly want to go to that, but the closest show to me is in Seattle and it's on a Monday. Maybe I can get the following Tuesday off work...

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Revol posted:

I think I need to go to the Atlanta show. I live in Tampa, and I have never been outside of the state of Florida before.

If you don't know them, Animals as Leaders are loving excellent.

Atlanta metal heads love Devin so I definitely recommend the Atlanta show if you want a good crowd.

Also, my condolences on having never left Florida.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ah well, guess I gotta go to the loving Palladium again. I wish metal bands played inside Boston more :smith:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Jesus Christ, Devin is doing almost 40 shows before the end of the year still. He is gonna kill himself :(. How is he recording and planning stuff in between all of this? Look at all those dates and countries http://www.bandsintown.com/DevinTownsend/start_tracking?came_from=201

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I saw Devin play 2 tours ago, and they were alternating the headline with another band. 1 night it was Devin's turn, the other night was another band. This meant it was a bad game of knick knack paddy wack as to whether you got to see his full show.

edit: got a response from Devin re: pledge stuff, he's still working on some of them including mine. I hope I didn't stress him out :(

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 7, 2014

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't Devin take a pretty long hiatus after Ziltoid? I imagine the same thing will happen this time as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

slogsdon posted:

Didn't Devin take a pretty long hiatus after Ziltoid? I imagine the same thing will happen this time as well.
He just mentioned during one of his typical long strings of tweets that he's probably going to take a year off after the stage show to recharge his batteries.

He also named another guest vocalist on Z2 that I haven't seen mentioned before: Chris Jericho as "Captain Spectacular".

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Kins posted:

He also named another guest vocalist on Z2 that I haven't seen mentioned before: Chris Jericho as "Captain Spectacular".

I think this works well on many levels. He knows how to ham it up. Plus, he could look the part if there were ever a need to.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bought my tickets for the Chicago show yesterday. First time seeing devin, and animals as leaders are a pretty decent instrumental act, so this should be a rad as gently caress show. Maximum excitement.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Revol posted:

I have never been outside of the state of Florida before.

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

slogsdon posted:

I really wouldn't mind if he did. As much as I love his work, some of it recently has gotten a little same-y and if he took a year off to recharge we might get something completely different on the other side.

• Locked thread