Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vintimus Prime posted:

We know something pretty close happens in the original timeline where Goku teleports and fights/eventually defeats Cold and Freeza. I'd imagine it was a lot like the guys vs Nappa except no one died before Goku got there.

I always thought Goku just instantly teleported there and immediately dusted Freeza and Cold. Didn't he say to Trunks that the only reason he didn't do that in 'our' timeline is because Trunks showed up and did just that?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The movie was great. It should have been called Dragonball Z: Bulma's Birthday Party, though. Beerus was easily the best movie villain I've seen.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Yep, that was a really good movie. Funimation did a heck of a job on the dub.

My favorite takeaway from the dub had to be Goten's "so awesome" comments.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'd seen Battle of the Gods in Japanese, because I'm one of those people who thrived off fansubs back in the day and never gave the English cast a fair shot. I knew the plot, the jokes, and went to the showing tonight expecting no surprises.

The English cast loving killed it. I guess it's time I watch Kai in a different language! I loved tonight's showing, loved the way the humor was handled, and thought Beers (is that what they're calling him in English?) had a great actor behind him. I did not expect drunk Bulma to be half as well played and hilarious as she was. Or Vegeta. MY BULMAAAAAAAAAA!!

That was a really fun night. :3:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

my cat is norris posted:

I'd seen Battle of the Gods in Japanese, because I'm one of those people who thrived off fansubs back in the day and never gave the English cast a fair shot. I knew the plot, the jokes, and went to the showing tonight expecting no surprises.

The English cast loving killed it. I guess it's time I watch Kai in a different language! I loved tonight's showing, loved the way the humor was handled, and thought Beers (is that what they're calling him in English?) had a great actor behind him. I did not expect drunk Bulma to be half as well played and hilarious as she was. Or Vegeta. MY BULMAAAAAAAAAA!!

That was a really fun night. :3:

Beerus not Beers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Australia is showing it on the 30th only, I have to travel 3 hours to see it and 3 hours back home. I'M DOING IT!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm stuck on board the ship today so I don't get to see the movie. Hopefully the bluray comes out soon after and doesn't drop off the face of the Earth like Eva 3.33.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The screening was wonderful and the audience I was watching it with were ecstatic about everything, especially the group of friends behind me constantly going "Oh poo poo" everything time something big happened. I can't wait for the new movie next year, it'll be a lot of fun when that comes to theaters in America.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I went in dragging a sleep-deprived friend since the screening was her birthday gift, and despite being exhausted, she loving loved it and came out really excited. We couldn't stop talking about it when we left, it was amazing.

Also during Vegeta's Bingo dance, I could not hear a single word he was singing because the whole theater was laughing that hard, myself included. Guess I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out! :v:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does TFS have anymore podcasts than they do on their website or is there some kinda stuff that existed before them? I started checking out what else they have besides their abridged shows and the podcasts were really good.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Beerus not Beers

I saw it listed as Beers in the credits. An error, maybe?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Spiritus Nox posted:

I always thought Goku just instantly teleported there and immediately dusted Freeza and Cold. Didn't he say to Trunks that the only reason he didn't do that in 'our' timeline is because Trunks showed up and did just that?

I'd like to think it was a little bit of a different fight than how it turned out with Trunks. Especially with Freeza recognizing Goku and wouldn't take him lightly like he did with Trunks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'd like to think it was a little bit of a different fight than how it turned out with Trunks. Especially with Freeza recognizing Goku and wouldn't take him lightly like he did with Trunks.

It's assumed that it took at least a little bit of effort from Goku. The whole reason that he has his heart attack during the android fight instead of the intervening years is that he didn't stress his body out fighting Freeza and King Cold, something that wouldn't have happened if he effortlessly dusted them.

Plus this is Goku, you know he'd let King Cold power up just to see.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vintimus Prime posted:

Freeza only took them lightly at first. He still gave it his all and they either shrugged it off or dodged effortlessly.

What I'm saying is, Freeza really dropped the ball with handling Trunks.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

WickedHate posted:

Freeza only took them lightly at first. He still gave it his all and they either shrugged it off or dodged effortlessly.

What I'm saying is, Freeza really dropped the ball with handling Trunks.

Yea, you think with seeing him as a ssj, Freeza would have been all over that. Part over confidence since he believed his power up would enable him to beat Goku himself, and maybe part fear.

And random bit, I do like how when Trunks returns to the future and tells Bulma everything that happened, she's sad that Goku still died. It's a nice moment because technically Goku should have passed on from natural causes, and sometimes as hard as you try life restores order as it should be. Of course this is all nullified in Buu.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea, you think with seeing him as a ssj, Freeza would have been all over that. Part over confidence since he believed his power up would enable him to beat Goku himself, and maybe part fear.

When he saw trunks go super sayian he immediately tried to blow up the earth so I wouldn't say he was loving around at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In the Manga he did not. He just said that Trunks was going to die shot a blast at him Trunks dodged it fired the Burning attack sliced Freeza to bits.

Freeza never had a chance to power up or anything.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, Manga Trunks just made Frieza look like a complete chump.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That pleases me. 'Tho ill admit i did enjoy watching Trunks toy with Frieza after everything he did and how long Namek lasted. :haw:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The thing I never got with Trunks is that he gave the impression he was all business, no toying with people or letting them power up, but then he had a signature attack with the most elaborate hand movements in the series. It just seemed out of place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ManOfTheYear posted:

Does TFS have anymore podcasts than they do on their website or is there some kinda stuff that existed before them? I started checking out what else they have besides their abridged shows and the podcasts were really good.

Before there was a formal TFS, the same guys did abridged versions of some of the early movies, if that's the sort of thing you mean.

They're pretty weird to watch in light of DBZA; for example, for Goku the characterisation they went with was more along the lines of "I'm busy training, woman! Get back in the kitchen and make me some pie!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

The thing I never got with Trunks is that he gave the impression he was all business, no toying with people or letting them power up, but then he had a signature attack with the most elaborate hand movements in the series. It just seemed out of place.

Took him less time to charge than it took Vegeta to charge a Galick Gun. Or Final Flash. Or Final Explosion.

Still works. He's still fast - he's just a showoff, too!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Metal Loaf posted:

Before there was a formal TFS, the same guys did abridged versions of some of the early movies, if that's the sort of thing you mean.

They're pretty weird to watch in light of DBZA; for example, for Goku the characterisation they went with was more along the lines of "I'm busy training, woman! Get back in the kitchen and make me some pie!"

They're interesting to watch, if only to see how much they learned from the first parodies they did. Looking back at the first few episodes of DBZA when they're finding their footing is already miles ahead of what they did before.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

That pleases me. 'Tho ill admit i did enjoy watching Trunks toy with Frieza after everything he did and how long Namek lasted. :haw:

I felt kinda the same way when he killed Future 17 and 18. (man, Meredith McCoy was such a great Eighteen... I miss her)

It kinda irks me there is no real explanation for why the 17 and 18 we know are the chillest characters in the series while Future 17 and 18 are homicidal maniacs. Normal 18 would never be going "I HATE YOU!!!!"

Prevailing theories seem to be Gero made some last-minute modifications to them that totally screwed up their brains or simply that, with Goku dead, they went into a nihilistic frenzy. There was nothing left for them to do in this world so they just had to try and entertain themselves the best they could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I felt kinda the same way when he killed Future 17 and 18. (man, Meredith McCoy was such a great Eighteen... I miss her)

It kinda irks me there is no real explanation for why the 17 and 18 we know are the chillest characters in the series while Future 17 and 18 are homicidal maniacs. Normal 18 would never be going "I HATE YOU!!!!"

Prevailing theories seem to be Gero made some last-minute modifications to them that totally screwed up their brains or simply that, with Goku dead, they went into a nihilistic frenzy. There was nothing left for them to do in this world so they just had to try and entertain themselves the best they could.

17 and 18 were complete shitheads even in the original timeline, they just got a giant wakeup call in the face of Cell. Well, 18 did at least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

17 and 18 were complete shitheads even in the original timeline, they just got a giant wakeup call in the face of Cell. Well, 18 did at least.

So did 17, he's a park ranger now!

But yeah, the difference is that the original timeline androids never had anyone able to oppose them, like kid who's never punished. They were brat teenagers given god like powers, and with no direction. By the time of the Trunks special all that's festered for several years and gotten worse and worse.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I got was that the androids came and completely slaughtered vegeta and the rest in a very short timeframe.

I didn't get that feeling from the other versions. Hell 18 kissed krillin.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah they were mainly just screwing around and committing petty crimes.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
They never found Dr. Gero's whole setup before he unleashed 17/18, though. He probably had more time to eradicate their free will.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wasn't it that Gero programmed them to hate humanity in the alternate timeline, but didn't get a chance to in the main one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Alternate 17/18 are explicitly weaker than the main timeline's androids, so yeah Gero just had more time to work on them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Alternate 17/18 are explicitly weaker than the main timeline's androids, so yeah Gero just had more time to work on them.

Trunks isn't exactly a reliable narrator seeing as he can't actually sense their power levels.

Caros
May 14, 2008

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Trunks isn't exactly a reliable narrator seeing as he can't actually sense their power levels.

He doesn't have to be. We have a couple chapters and some back story info that show trunks and/or Gohan able to keep pace with 17 or 18 so long as it was one at a time.

The main time line versions of 17 and 18 absolutely rolled the entire gang in a few seconds. Trunks had practice fighting his versions and he got KO'd in a couple of hits by the main time line androids.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ImpAtom posted:

They really weren't. They never directly killed any humans or blew up any cities or anything, and they let Vegeta, Piccolo, Trunks, and Tien all live even after they were all knocked the gently caress out. They just stole a delivery truck and some clothes.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Caros posted:

He doesn't have to be. We have a couple chapters and some back story info that show trunks and/or Gohan able to keep pace with 17 or 18 so long as it was one at a time.

Yeah, but 17 reveals they weren't even using half their power right before he murders Gohan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Metal Loaf posted:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They're interesting to watch, if only to see how much they learned from the first parodies they did. Looking back at the first few episodes of DBZA when they're finding their footing is already miles ahead of what they did before.

I think this is probably because Takahata101 and KaiserNeko weren't involved; MasakoX was voicing Goku and Lanipator was voicing...everyone, but I think someone else did the script work.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WhiffleballDude posted:

They really weren't. They never directly killed any humans or blew up any cities or anything, and they let Vegeta, Piccolo, Trunks, and Tien all live even after they were all knocked the gently caress out. They just stole a delivery truck and some clothes.

Cell Saga Vegeta ahas a higher kill count than main timeline androids if we consider the poor guy driving the paper clips truck.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Cell Saga Vegeta ahas a higher kill count than main timeline androids if we consider the poor guy driving the paper clips truck.

Hey man, Vegeta will kill as many people as he has to as long as 18 is one of them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think the only explanation we get as far as what the gently caress is up with the differences between Future Trunks' timeline and the main timeline is that Trunks messing with time messed with the timeline somehow. It's hard to point to one thing, really, since we know so little about how events actually transpired the first time around besides "everyone got smoked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think the only explanation we get as far as what the gently caress is up with the differences between Future Trunks' timeline and the main timeline is that Trunks messing with time messed with the timeline somehow. It's hard to point to one thing, really, since we know so little about how events actually transpired the first time around besides "everyone got smoked".

Time is a petty rear end in a top hat who will gently caress with anyone who tries to mess with its plans.

• Locked thread