Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Will have to disagree on this specific point:

Likud is at its weakest when they need to focus on domestic affairs.

That's fair enough. There's always people who internally profit from war. I'll bet that arms manufacturers everywhere have had a drat good time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

lenoon posted:

Stop punching? Would that work?

This isn't working for anyone. Israel seems not to have acknowledged one of the fundamental rules of 20th century warfare, let alone opened it's eyes to the 21st. Hitting insurgents/terrorists/whatever with overwhelming force is not working. It has never worked. It will never work. Conflicts from the start of the 20th century (boer war) all the way through to the modern day, including now the, what, 30 years since the first intifada?, have shown that this strategy ends in defeat.

The only time it works militarily is when you systematically kill everyone capable of resisting, and then you kill everyone else.

It doesn't keep Israel "safe", it doesn't stop the flavour of the month Palestinian group from recruiting, attacking, defending whatever.

Israel has killed a couple of hundred people it defines as combatants. I can absolutely guarantee you it has recruited far more. This attack has stretched international patience almost to breaking point - and not just the opinion of people you dub antisemites, but high level diplomatic bodies. It has left more Israelis dead than the last peace sorry, space between wars.

It has, in no way been a success. Conscript soldiers lie dead, children's corpses have been seen around the world and a new generation who may well have managed to live without largely being radicalised to violence has just been pushed into the arms of whatever organisation seeks to radicalise the living poo poo out of the strip.

It has achieved nothing for Israel, nothing at all.

Anyone remember the Tamil Tigers?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

RaspberryCommie posted:

But yeah, Neo-Nazis agree with us, therefore Israel is 100% right and should not be criticized.

Many fascist groups support Israel as a useful bulwark against Islam and support what they're doing to Palestinians. For instance Breivik's manifesto used the same separation of Jewish people into Zionists who are tolerable and 'self loathing Jews' Who oppose Israel and are a prime target for Fascists.

Some fascists are still more anti-Semitic than Islamophobe though, I believe Jobbik in Hungary falls into that category.

But yeah, Israel's atrocities are so awful as to garner then support from some neo-Nazis.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RaspberryCommie posted:

Israel said that HAMAS was the one who broke all the ceasefires though. Don't be anti-semantic.

In any cases, yes both sides have bad people on them. The difference being that when an actual anti-semite shows up, they're shouted down as being the ignorant bastards they are, whereas on the pro-Israel side, Facebook posts about how all Arabs should be killed or raped in various horrible fashions are not contested and even get thousands of likes.

Well that and Neo-Nazis are the powerless fucks they should be, whereas Israel is currently committing actual ethnic cleansing as we speak.

But yeah, Neo-Nazis agree with us, therefore Israel is 100% right and should not be criticized.

Well there's also the fact that Neo-Nazi's, while lovely people who don't want on your side, aren't automatically wrong about absolutely everything. Nor does association with them via some 5 Steps From Kevin Bacon-esque game make anyone else a Neo-Nazi. If a Neo Nazi says the sky is blue, and so do I, that doesn't make the sky green and it doesn't make me a Neo Nazi too.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
My mistake Breivik openly declared his love for Israel: http://world.time.com/2011/07/26/norway-terror-accused-breivik-on-the-jewish-question/

I suppose he and Israel do share a love of killing children.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kombotron posted:

Anyone remember the Tamil Tigers?

Their major operations ended just five years ago, and there's been multiple accounts to suggest that Tamils within Sri Lanka are still being subjugated. If conditions do not improve for them (or they leave the island entirely, which is not an option for Gaza citizens nor the majority of West Bank citizens) then we'll see if further unrest occurs.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Adios PK! Do come back if you want to offer a statement on behalf of the literal Nazis you support (per the video on the precious page).

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Radbot posted:

Adios PK! Do come back if you want to offer a statement on behalf of the literal Nazis you support (per the video on the precious page).

Just as soon as you admit that you're full of poo poo and lied about what I said. Of course, you're just a dishonest shill, so I'm not holding my breath. Say, weren't you one of Eripsa's big supporters?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ok, time for a 72 hour ceasefire

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did it get broken :ohdear:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did it get broken :ohdear:

Most up-to-date news I could find says it's holding.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A BBC reporter I heard earlier today said that Hamas sources were saying to him that their conclusion from this latest aggression is that fighting gives them a seat at the negotiating table. Nothing new really, and a stance that can be inferred but it's good messaging for them to point it out.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
We got two reports today (French TV & Indian TV) showing the Hamas terrorists setting up rocket sites. Actually never seen this being covered by reporters in Gaza. The terrorists appear to be getting as close to the UN areas/civilian areas as possible.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140805-exclusive-video-hamas-rocket-launching-pad-near-gaza-homes-un-building/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_fP6mlNSK8

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Where else are they going to set them up at?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Arkane posted:

We got two reports today (French TV & Indian TV) showing the Hamas terrorists setting up rocket sites. Actually never seen this being covered by reporters in Gaza. The terrorists appear to be getting as close to the UN areas/civilian areas as possible.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140805-exclusive-video-hamas-rocket-launching-pad-near-gaza-homes-un-building/

Hey, that's a pretty interesting video, thanks for sharing. Maybe we should pass this up to the IDF, just to show how inconsequential a retaliation strike would be.

edit: hah, sorry, did I say inconsequential? I meant massive overreaction. Goodness.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkane posted:

I don't think anyone is denying Hamas is firing rockets near civilian areas (where else could they fire from in Gaza?), but:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Where else are they going to set them up at?

In an open field, like dis

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Given Israel's penchant for accurate artillery fire, I'd put money on them hitting a UN school anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, good, this is back. Ynet claims that Netanyahu and Kerry were speaking on Sunday when the call was cut off for technical reasons, but was not renewed. It's not clear if Kerry's coming to the Cairo talks. Another story refers to a NY Times piece about how Netanyahu and Obama's relationship may never recover :qq:.

More interesting is a report that the planner of the abduction of those three teens had been arrested last month, July 11th, and that he allegedly got the money to perform the abduction from Hamas operatives in Gaza. The abductors themselves are still at large.

This was brought up during a hearing in a case in the Supreme Court against demolishing the three alleged operatives` houses. A lot more seems to still be classified until the other two are captured.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
that was a short 72 hours

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

SedanChair posted:

Out there with all the farmers they take shots at.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Xandu broke the ceasefire early. Why should we not shitpost when the mods don't honor their own treaties?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, good, this is back. Ynet claims that Netanyahu and Kerry were speaking on Sunday when the call was cut off for technical reasons, but was not renewed. It's not clear if Kerry's coming to the Cairo talks. Another story refers to a NY Times piece about how Netanyahu and Obama's relationship may never recover :qq:.

More interesting is a report that the planner of the abduction of those three teens had been arrested last month, July 11th, and that he allegedly got the money to perform the abduction from Hamas operatives in Gaza. The abductors themselves are still at large.

This was brought up during a hearing in a case in the Supreme Court against demolishing the three alleged operatives` houses. A lot more seems to still be classified until the other two are captured.

"Hello, Mahmoud? It's Hamas. Quick, abduct 3 teenage hitchhikers with no strategic or military value, then immediately kill them. I'm sending you a bunch of money you'll need for this intricate and complicated operation."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm getting nightterrors at the thought of all those israeli pets terrified at the sound of those ghastly sirens : ( i see labrador piss everywhere and there are no back legs but with a tail between them. msm won't report on this but that's pretty typical b/c they love hamas.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 6, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Another story refers to a NY Times piece about how Netanyahu and Obama's relationship may never recover :qq:.

Can't recover what never existed, although an actual rift between the U.S. and Israel somehow would be a game-changer. Which means it will never happen.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JFairfax posted:

As appropriate for an I/P thread, it lasted about as long as an average 72 hr ceasefire

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tezzor posted:

"Hello, Mahmoud? It's Hamas. Quick, abduct 3 teenage hitchhikers with no strategic or military value, then immediately kill them. I'm sending you a bunch of money you'll need for this intricate and complicated operation."

Apparently they used it to buy weapons. As we know, abducting hitchhikers requires very advanced weaponry (a gun) and really complicated logistics (a car). :shrug:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkane posted:

I dunno, I imagine that their rocket firing probably caused relatively less terror than the Israeli bombs/shells that are sure to level the area in the future, if they haven't already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently they used it to buy weapons. As we know, abducting hitchhikers requires very advanced weaponry (a gun) and really complicated logistics (a car). :shrug:

Why they would use a third party is still up for debate. I mean if they were Israeli or something it would make sense, but just hiring out other Palestinians is just pointless.

Though we are getting this second hand from a group that would benefit from blaming HAMAS for this.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, I imagine that their rocket firing probably caused relatively less terror than the Israeli bombs/shells that are sure to level the area in the future, if they haven't already.

True, but it also seems like there might be a really simple way to prevent the bombs/shells from being dropped. In fact, I imagine the people firing the rockets give far less shits about civilian casualties than the bomb-droppers do...probably right around zero shits.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This was brought up during a hearing in a case in the Supreme Court against demolishing the three alleged operatives` houses.

I still can't believe this is a Thing.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

True, but it also seems like there might be a really simple way to prevent the bombs/shells from being dropped.
i swear to god the graphs of rocket attacks in the time leading up to the invasions should actually be at the top of every page.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Israel has Supreme Court hearings to determine if they should bulldoze houses.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Arkane posted:

True, but it also seems like there might be a really simple way to prevent the bombs/shells from being dropped. In fact, I imagine the people firing the rockets give far less shits about civilian casualties than the bomb-droppers do...probably right around zero shits.
Didn't prevent Israeli bombs when they started with this war, with the intention to disrupt the Palestinian Authority unity government.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why they would use a third party is still up for debate. I mean if they were Israeli or something it would make sense, but just hiring out other Palestinians is just pointless.

Though we are getting this second hand from a group that would benefit from blaming HAMAS for this.

Well, the PA has cracked down on West Bank Hamas operatives pretty bad, so it's not entirely unreasonable on that level. As for the rest... I don't know, I don't feel I could ever really trust the results of this investigation with the widespread use of torture and lack of due process whenever Shin Bet is involved.

euphronius posted:

It's more that human rights groups (like the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions) ask for injunctions against the IDF to stop them from doing so. The houses are usually of the families of suspected terrorists, as a form of deterrent. It's the only way to keep those uppity NarnsPalestinians from making trouble.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

euphronius posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they even have those.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Arkane posted:

True, but it also seems like there might be a really simple way to prevent the bombs/shells from being dropped.

Is it "abide by the ceasefire" because that hasn't worked three times in a row.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Seppuku?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, the PA has cracked down on West Bank Hamas operatives pretty bad, so it's not entirely unreasonable on that level. As for the rest... I don't know, I don't feel I could ever really trust the results of this investigation with the widespread use of torture and lack of due process whenever Shin Bet is involved.

It's more that human rights groups (like the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions) ask for injunctions against the IDF to stop them from doing so. The houses are usually of the families of suspected terrorists, as a form of deterrent. It's the only way to keep those uppity NarnsPalestinians from making trouble.

Wait, does that make the Shadows the United States? Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nvDbbrsmI

Goddamn, Babylon 5 fits surprisingly well with the whole debacle.

Edit: This one even more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmuHNDcXLQ

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
For those of you outside the states, want to know why the US supports Israel unconditionally? Here, let me sum it up for you in an anecdote.

My wife was visiting her family this week. Her mother, who is otherwise a nice woman who has been better to me than my own family has (:emo:), took a look at ongoing events and quite reasonably warned my wife that that the loving rapture was coming any day now. Her logic was that all the nations are turning against Israel, so here it comes, everyone, it's Revelations time! I mean, it's stunning. By every other metric, she's a great person, but when you start talking about Christianity it's like her eyes go sideways and some sleeper cell programming takes over. (Part of it's Stockholm syndrome, I guess, but I won't get into that.)

I will never understand evangelical christianity's obsession with keeping Israel a thing at all costs. It's like, you guys know you already had your messiah, right? The Israel messiah thing's supposed to be for the jews IIRC, and that kind of implies not believing Jesus was the messiah, which more or less locks you out of the discussion argh why am I trying to apply logic to this help my brain.

ANYWAY, the point is that fundies is crazy and skew old, white, and crazy. It's heartening to see the internet generation go "uh no they're kind of killing civilians you tool," but it'd be a lot more heartening if, I don't know, we loving did something about Israel dropping bombs on civilians.

• Locked thread