Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Those On My Left posted:

Thanks for pointing that out. For credit cards, the only thing I want to make sure of is that there are no annual fees. I never carry a balance on my credit card and so am not worried about interest.

Most no annual fee cards charge interest immediately, so if you actually use it on a regular basis them getting one with a reward scheme (to earn the annual fee back) and an interest free period can be a better option if you always pay down the full balance.
Bonus points if you have an interest bearing transaction account or mortgage offset account.

norp fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 6, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

norp posted:

Most no annual fee cards charge interest immediately, so if you actually use it on a regular basis them getting one with a reward scheme (to earn the annual fee back) and an interest free period can be a better option if you always pay down the full balance.
Bonus points if you have an interest bearing transaction account or mortgage offset account.

Err what? Most major cards issuers in Australia offer around 55 days interest free regardless of whether they have a fee or not. Additionally, its pretty trivial to get a rewards card with bonus points and have the bank wave the annual fee (at least in the first year) as long as you're not too picky with your choice of institution.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Man I've really missed ICAC

quote:

ICAC hears that Liberal party boss Brian Loughnane knew of developer donations going through federal channels

Federal Liberal Party director Brian Loughnane has been drawn into a corruption scandal embroiling the party after an inquiry heard allegations he rubberstamped the use of federal channels to subvert the NSW ban on donations from property developers.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption resumed public hearings on Wednesday in Operation Spicer, its inquiry in to Liberal Party fundraising.

The allegations aired during a two-hour opening address, delivered by counsel assisting the commission, Geoffrey Watson, SC, resulted in Liberal MPs Tim Owen and Andrew Cornwell stepping aside from the party and joining the crossbench.

An email shown at the inquiry suggests Mr Loughnane agreed for donations from property developers - which were banned in NSW in 2009 - to be made to the federal party to subvert the laws.

“Brian Loughnane has agreed that for the time being the Fed Sec will operate on the policy…in effect, there is no benefit for a NSW donor to donate to via the Fed Sec, unless they are a property developer,” said Federal Liberal executive Colin Gracie in an email to Simon McInnes, the finance director of the NSW Liberal party.

The email was sent in July 2010.

The inquiry heard members of the Liberal Party subverted the donation laws by diverting money through the Canberra-based Free Enterprise foundation, before sending it back to the NSW branch to use in the 2011 State election.

Mr Watson said that “there is evidence that the use of the Free Enterprise Foundation in this fashion was known at high levels of the Liberal Party''.

Mr Loughnane is not only the federal head of the party, his wife Peta Credlin is Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s chief of staff.

Mr Watson told the hearing that the NSW branch of the Liberal Party used the Free Enterprise Foundation “as a means of washing and re-channelling donations made by prohibited donors”.

The inquiry has heard that Mr McInnes has been very “helpful” to the ICAC.

Earlier, Mr Watson said investigations during the adjournment had "proved fruitful" and there was evidence of "serious irregularities" in the campaign for Mr Owen's seat of Newcastle and Mr Cornwall's neighbouring seat of Charlestown.

Premier Mike Baird said in a statement on Wednesday that he had accepted the MPs' decisions to "stand aside from the parliamentary Liberal Party and relinquish any parliamentary positions they currently hold".

He said he made "no judgement" regarding the outcome of Operation Spicer, the Independent Commission Against Corruption's inquiry into Liberal Party fundraising.

"However, it will take time for the allegations to be resolved, and I am not prepared to allow this to become a distraction for the party or the government," Mr Baird said.

Property developer and Newcastle mayor Jeff McCloy and prominent developer Hilton Grugeon face allegations they made illegal donations to the Liberals during the 2011 election campaign and disguised the donations using "sham" invoices.

Property developers have been banned from making political donations in NSW since 2009.

In a sensational twist on Wednesday, Mr Owen's campaign manager Hugh Thomson has rolled over and is assisting the commission in return for an indemnity against prosecution.

The commission heard Mr Cornwell has given evidence Mr McCloy summoned him to a meeting in his Bentley before the last election and handed over a "large wad of bills".

He took the cash totalling $10,000 home and it was later given to the Liberal Party. Mr McCloy denies the claims.

Counsel assisting the inquiry Geoffrey Watson, SC, said Mr Cornwell has been "helpful" to the commission and while his actions "may have been unwise, it would seem to us that those actions may have been the product of a degree of inexperience in the face of high pressure tactics from some determined characters".

He added there was "no evidence" Mr Cornwell favoured the interests of Mr McCloy or Mr Grugeon.

Mr Watson said investigations since the inquiry last held public hearings had "proved fruitful" and there was evidence of "serious irregularities in the way those campaigns" for the Hunter Valley seats were conducted.

"There will be a lot of evidence," Mr Watson said. "Much will depend on who is believed and who is not believed."

Mr Watson said there was evidence that former police minister Mike Gallacher was aware of the funding arrangements and "suggested some of them".

He added that embattled coal mogul Nathan Tinkler's property development group Buildev would get "quite a mention in this inquiry".

The inquiry has previously heard allegations that Mr Gallacher was involved in a "corrupt scheme" with Buildev to channel illegal donations to Mr Owen's campaign.

Mr Owen announced in May that he would not recontest the next election because it appeared "highly likely" prohibited donors "did contribute in some way to my election campaign" without his knowledge.

Mr Watson said there would be evidence the campaign for Mr Owen's seat was "partly funded" by illegal sources.

The campaign for Mr Cornwell's adjoining seat was also under scrutiny over allegations of "seriousl electoral funding irregularities".

Mr Owen will be investigated over his involvement in the scheme to take illegal donations.

The ICAC will also examine whether former Labor treasurer Eric Roozendaal and his corrupt former colleague Joe Tripodi "improperly took steps" to benefit Nathan Tinkler's property development group while in government.

Also rolling over is Mr Tripodi's former friend, Vince Fedele, who has given evidence about Mr Tripodi's involvement in a campaign to undermine former Labor minister Jodi McKay, who opposed Buildev's plans for a coal loader.

Mr Watson has foreshadowed potential problems for Mr Tripodi, saying that "attempting to influence a person to give false evidence is a serious offence".

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/icac-hear...806-100vlc.html

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

This Is Labor #ICAC

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
If Loughnane goes down over this I will literally loving die laughing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Ragingsheep posted:

Err what? Most major cards issuers in Australia offer around 55 days interest free regardless of whether they have a fee or not.

Really? last time I had a card without an annual fee that was the way it worked.
It's been a long time since I've had a card that wasn't provided for free to me because of my other business with the bank. Pretty sure the annual fee they waive on my current card is like $395pa

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the end it wasnt Auspol that got Mills, but ADTRW. :japan:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Why does he melt down so hard over a forum game?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Because he is a control freak with ocd and narcissism?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I will give $75 to anyone who can explain to me what happened to him.

that was a joke

But seriously, I'm not reading that whole thread, what happened?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Murodese posted:

Dear god yes.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

rip muropeas

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kate McClymont posted:

Andrew Cornwell's dad Brien said Libs funded "attractive young ladies" from Cornwell family's backpacker hostel 2 hold up Lib placards
Ahahahaha.

Also the IPA is trying to run ads against Abbott now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

I will give $75 to anyone who can explain to me what happened to him.

that was a joke

But seriously, I'm not reading that whole thread, what happened?

This is probably more suited to GBS, but the rundown is basically:

1. Mills threatened to quit to try and save his best bud Yuming, but was wishy-washy about it.
2. Then he started literally bribing other people to quit
3. Yuming quit instead, oh noooo~
4. Despite not confirming that he was quitting, and despite his reason for quitting being moot now, he ended up probated and expelled from the game for blatantly flouting the rules with that bribery stunt

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Tory shitlord can't solve social problem with private money, melts down

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
If anyone is interested, there was a great discussion around ISDS at Senate Committee hearings in Parliament today. Matthew Rimmer and Whish-Wilson on twitter have the relevant links.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Haters Objector posted:

Why does he melt down so hard over a forum game?

:shrug:

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/map/where-australias-immigrants-were-born-sydney

Both of these maps are absolutely fascinating. I knew I lived in a Macedonian dominated area, but wow!

SBS posted:

This map reveals the top three birthplaces for immigrants in suburbs and towns across Australia. You can also access a map revealing birthplaces excluding English and New Zealand immigrants.

Rollover suburbs with your mouse for detailed info. Zoom and drag for a view of other cities and the nation as a whole, or click on the following links:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:911:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Contra Duck posted:

Sometimes they will have lower fees or better interest rates on some products. It depends on your situation though. As an example, Teacher's Mutual Bank are about even with CUA on most things but their low rate credit card deal is excellent, no annual fees and 11.5% interest. If credit cards mattered to you then it might be a good idea to go with them instead but otherwise it doesn't matter. You can check out the credit unions that apply to you to see if they can do anything that is way better.

e: hadn't heard of bankmecu before that but they look pretty drat good.

It's 9% interest on the credit card for recent graduates/new scheme teachers with the TMB. The rates on their personal and home loans are stupidly low too.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ahahahaha.

Also the IPA is trying to run ads against Abbott now.

Congratulations Tony Abbott you shelved the repeal of 18C (yay, but no one thinks you did it for noble reasons so that won you no votes) pissing off the IPA in the process (yay) but undermined that by announcing the reason to shelve 18C was for sweeping privacy invading anti-terror laws (boo) that no one likes and actually attack the IPA again as they are all about individual freedoms (for white people) leaving you now with the backflip having only managed to lose the IPA and right wing libertarians for the gain of no one.

HOW ARE YOU THIS BAD AT POLITICS?!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jumpingmanjim posted:

here's a question, what the gently caress does the herald sun put on their front cover tomorrow? I predict they will blame labor some how.

Called it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hoo rah

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Called it.

I said they would blame Muslims but I accept it was pretty low hanging fruit.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Congratulations Tony Abbott you shelved the repeal of 18C (yay, but no one thinks you did it for noble reasons so that won you no votes) pissing off the IPA in the process (yay) but undermined that by announcing the reason to shelve 18C was for sweeping privacy invading anti-terror laws (boo) that no one likes and actually attack the IPA again as they are all about individual freedoms (for white people) leaving you now with the backflip having only managed to lose the IPA and right wing libertarians for the gain of no one.

HOW ARE YOU THIS BAD AT POLITICS?!

:shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dunno if I've mentioned here before, but I actually went to high school with that guy (Khaled Sharrouf). I used to copy off him in year 9 maths class!

He was always a slightly troubled kid, didn't really have any actual friends though he hung out in a group with the other Lebanese kids. From memory he left school after year 10. Going to a selective school I kind of expected a classmate to end up on the front page at some point, but not quite for that reason :v:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Josie posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/map/where-australias-immigrants-were-born-sydney

Both of these maps are absolutely fascinating. I knew I lived in a Macedonian dominated area, but wow!

I find the Melbourne one intensely amusing. Caulfield is basically the Jewish hub of Australia, but apparently it has really heavy South African population too. I guess something about it really attracts apartheidists of various stripes?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Aren't we about 10 years late for the overreaching laws to protect us from TERRORISM?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

adamantium|wang posted:

Tory shitlord can't solve social problem with private money, melts down

Mills 101, right here.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wonder if he ever found that cleaner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

Aren't we about 10 years late for the overreaching laws to protect us from TERRORISM?

It's never too late.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nibbles! posted:

The comparisons to the first Bush administration are overwhelming, right down to using MH17 and ISIS as a quasi-9/11 so as to try and tear back the good will already squandered in record time, advocating a unilateralist foreign policy and isolationism, pissing off China, arguing that "history will judge" from Scott Morrison (it was not any kinder to Bush was now that he has gone), and having an ineffectual opposition leader trying to gun for the top job (well John Kerry was in 2004 but still).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

I find the Melbourne one intensely amusing. Caulfield is basically the Jewish hub of Australia, but apparently it has really heavy South African population too. I guess something about it really attracts apartheidists of various stripes?

Yeah, Bellevue Hill and St Ives are basically the Jewish hubs of Sydney and they're both listed as South African as well. Maybe a lot of Jewish Australians have South African heritage?

It's weird though, most of my Jewish friends have eastern European heritage eg Hungarian.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Will you shut the gently caress up you complete dimwit?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Amethyst posted:

Will you shut the gently caress up you complete dimwit?

Amethyst why do you fly off the handles so often? You make muyb look relaxed in comparison.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Splode posted:

Amethyst why do you fly off the handles so often? You make muyb look relaxed in comparison.

lol sorry, I should chill and laugh at the epic jokes about how Jews are a race of apartheidists.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Amethyst posted:

lol sorry, I should chill and laugh at the epic jokes about how Jews are a race of apartheidists.

Not what I was saying, I was just pointing out your response was a bit dumb.

You could have said "Gee, gough, that's a pretty lovely thing to say, and if you actually think all Jews are Zionists then that's pretty awful."

Instead of "SHUT UP KDAQWHNDJKAWNDAWNDAWDN I AM SO ANGRY HOLY poo poo gently caress BALLS"

or you could have ignored muyb being an idiot like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
It's loving hilarious that the IPA is seeking $38,000 in urgent donations to fund an ad to attack Abbott. What a nice day.

• Locked thread