Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It seems to work two ways over the course of the manga.

1. Originally, Bites the Dust attaches itself to Hayato, which causes Killer Queen to no longer be summonable by Kira unless he retracts it. For as long as Kira leaves Killer Queen on a non-Stand using target, anyone who gets information about his identity from that target is blown up and killed. Time is then reset to the morning of that day/time of the implant of Bites the Dust(?). Any deaths that occurred before the reset are destined to happen and cannot be prevented even if the person Bites the Dust is attached to does things differently. The only way to prevent these deaths would be to have Kira withdraw Killer Queen from whomever he has implanted it into, canceling out Bites the Dust's effect. Additionally, only the person that Killer Queen is attached to retains memories of before the reset.

2. Kira can implant Bites the Dust in himself and tell everyone who he is, blowing them up and sending him back in time. He retains his memories of before the reset.

ASB seems to combine both of these aspects of his skill.

The time rewind is about one hour prior to the triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. Originally, Bites the Dust attaches itself to Hayato, which causes Killer Queen to no longer be summonable by Kira unless he retracts it. For as long as Kira leaves Killer Queen on a non-Stand using target, anyone who gets information about his identity from that target is blown up and killed. Time is then reset to the morning of that day/time of the implant of Bites the Dust(?). Any deaths that occurred before the reset are destined to happen and cannot be prevented even if the person Bites the Dust is attached to does things differently. The only way to prevent these deaths would be to have Kira withdraw Killer Queen from whomever he has implanted it into, canceling out Bites the Dust's effect. Additionally, only the person that Killer Queen is attached to retains memories of before the reset.

2. Kira can implant Bites the Dust in himself and tell everyone who he is, blowing them up and sending him back in time. He retains his memories of before the reset.

Okay this makes a lot more sense, thank you! I was confused on what happened to those who Bites the Dust killed and what all carried over to the restart. Gotta read the last two volumes of Part 4 now that they're not duwang-ed, that woulda helped

Waffleman_ posted:

Kill da bitch!

Act 3 owned.

Act 3 freezing Sheer Heart Attack was great, but Koichi almost crushing a person under an Act 3 Freeze weighted object as interrogation method might better.

And then Josuke comes crashing through the window on a motorcycle

Part 4 owns

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amuayse posted:

Kira starting to get all cocky around a wounded Jotaro before getting smacked down himself was pretty awesome.

Still the best Jotaro oneliner. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those seem like the same thing to me, Kira can choose who to place Bites the Dust on and they are the one who will remember.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Still the best Jotaro oneliner. :allears:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Momomo posted:

Those seem like the same thing to me, Kira can choose who to place Bites the Dust on and they are the one who will remember.

The major difference is that he normally can't put it on Stand users, so using it on himself is an exception to the rule. Really, the boosted Killer Queen is probably the most complex Stand in the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He did not put it on himself. He put it in the Woman he was talking to. Because everyone would have heard his secret everyone but him and the lady would have blown up. Kira also seems to know when there has been a time reset though he does not know what happened.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wil Wheaton likes Jojo. A lot.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
Kind of random, but the other day I realized that the design of Sleazy P (from the GWAR mythos) has a lot in common with the two main protagonists in Part 4...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm reading Part 6, and Jolyne just called F.F. a queer. Twice. But this is Jojo. Araki talks about drawing DIO shirtless so he can see how pretty his abs are. Also they showed Pucci eating two cherries without his hands in between all that. I am receiving mixed messenges and I feel lost. :(

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Annasui was supposed to be a girl but they made Araki change her to a him because they didn't want to show a lesbian relationship in Shonen Jump.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I feel like limiting the gay in Jojo does not let Jojo reach maximum potential. Jojo thrives off flamboyance.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Annasui was supposed to be a girl but they made Araki change her to a him because they didn't want to show a lesbian relationship in Shonen Jump.

The last two times this was brought up, I asked for some sort of reference. Like, anything more than just being speculation. I'm not saying it's not feasably what happened, I'd just like to read the source.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Potsticker posted:

The last two times this was brought up, I asked for some sort of reference. Like, anything more than just being speculation. I'm not saying it's not feasably what happened, I'd just like to read the source.

Annasui is literally a girl in his first appearance.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

Annasui is literally a girl in his first appearance.

I know, that's still not proof of anything.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think Potsticker means an official statement or something, since it's still speculation at that point. :shrug:

edit: beaten

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
I don't know what kind of translation of part 6 you're reading but the one I read didn't say anything like that.

ps if you're excited for gay things get pumped for part 7

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was reading Jojo's Colored Adventure

It might just be the translation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's prison, people are mean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm reading Part 6, and Jolyne just called F.F. a queer. Twice. But this is Jojo. Araki talks about drawing DIO shirtless so he can see how pretty his abs are. Also they showed Pucci eating two cherries without his hands in between all that. I am receiving mixed messenges and I feel lost. :(
I imagine this means "Jolyne is not the most progressive of people," rather than being an editorial statement of homophobia on Araki's part. Sort of like Joseph palling around with Nazis.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's Florida
Yeah, Florida is pretty awful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People extrapolate that Annasui being a girl originally means that Araki was going to have them hook up with Jolyne that far in advance.

Which is dumb because if you've read any amount of JoJos youd know that Araki never plans something that far in advance and just goes with the flow. I don't buy it at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Florida

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

MonsterEnvy posted:

He did not put it on himself. He put it in the Woman he was talking to. Because everyone would have heard his secret everyone but him and the lady would have blown up. Kira also seems to know when there has been a time reset though he does not know what happened.

Kira just knows that it's possible time has reset, so he intuits when it's happened. When your murder-son starts predicting every minute detail you get the feeling he's groundhog's daying it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
re: queer talk

It's also very possible that the translator is using a word that wasn't used in the original context. As in "wow you look weird" gets changed around to fit Jolyne's juvenile delinquent act.

edit: actually, I don't think Araki has ever given any thought to gay people in general in Jojo or otherwise. Flamboyant men in Jojo are an aesthetic choice based on Araki's fixation on Italian fashion and the concept of ideal male body.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 6, 2014

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

It might just be the translation.

jyrque posted:

It's also very possible that the translator is using a word that wasn't used in the original context. As in "wow you look weird" gets changed around to fit Jolyne's juvenile delinquent act.

I remember reading somewhere that the original word used there was just the English word gay?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

jyrque posted:

edit: actually, I don't think Araki has ever given any thought to gay people in general in Jojo or otherwise. Flamboyant men in Jojo are an aesthetic choice based on Araki's fixation on Italian fashion and the concept of ideal male body.
I mean, it was more of a joke just referencing the series' fabulousness. I didn't actually mean that Araki has a pro-gay agenda or anything.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
God hates Jojo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jyrque posted:

In part 1 Dio "respects" Jonathan so much that he literally craves his body and wants it for his own

In part 2 Santana goes inside Stroheim but he remarks that he's surprised because it actually feels good

In part 3 Jotaro locks himself up in prison (in the closet) until he acknowledges this fabulous purple being inside him is a part of him

I mean I haven't even read the manga but it definitely feels like there is something there

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
There's only one jojo so far who doesn't either have children or is very clearly interested in the opposite sex, and so araki compensates by making that part the one where they spend like two goddamn volumes on one of the characters getting a girlfriend

not to say that gay ppl don't exist in jojo's, rohan is a total homo for example

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

darealkooky posted:

There's only one jojo so far who doesn't either have children or is very clearly interested in the opposite sex, and so araki compensates by making that part the one where they spend like two goddamn volumes on one of the characters getting a girlfriend

not to say that gay ppl don't exist in jojo's, rohan is a total homo for example

Which jojo are you talking about? Gappy?

Also Rohan totally digs women. He fell in love with one once except it turned out to be the ghost painting spirit of his great great great great great great grandma or something idk, I didn't really understand what happened in Rohan at the Louvre.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People extrapolate that Annasui being a girl originally means that Araki was going to have them hook up with Jolyne that far in advance.

Which is dumb because if you've read any amount of JoJos youd know that Araki never plans something that far in advance and just goes with the flow. I don't buy it at all.

Right, which is why I'm constantly asking for any sort of indication that there was some "suggestion" by Araki's editor or by JUMP in general. An interview where he alludes to it or anything other than just speculation based on Annasui changing genders.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

EDIT: nah, bad joke

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

After finishing SBR, which was the best part so far for me, I'm around 20 issues into JoJolion. This is probably the weirdest part yet, and based on his appearance, I didn't think I'd like Gappy, but he's pretty awesome.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Clearly the role of the Ultimate Being and the equation "SEX = USELESS" indicates that Araki was an early asexual.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't have my volumes on me, but I'm pretty sure the French translation used "travelo" (drag queen/transvestite).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was the early 2000s, from a Japanese man. Araki's a nice guy and all, but Japan is even worse about gay than we are. It's really not out of the question that queer was the word used. Odds are he wasn't even aware that it was a poor joke to make.

And the real part 6 love connection is Hermes/Jolyne/FF anyway. :colbert:

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I don't have my volumes on me, but I'm pretty sure the French translation used "travelo" (drag queen/transvestite).

I had a friend check for me, and yeah, this is actually right. Jolyne uses the word 'okama' here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Even Kira was amused by that. :allears:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, apparently, he had a clip of Jojo on his show, but I haven't gotten a hold of it. It's called The Wil Wheaton Project. Has anybody here actually watched it?

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yeah, apparently, he had a clip of Jojo on his show, but I haven't gotten a hold of it. It's called The Wil Wheaton Project. Has anybody here actually watched it?

Here's the clip with JoJo.

• Locked thread