Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh by the way I've cracked the code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I think it's supposed to be "my friends and I we've cracked the code"

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Also, speaking of banks and investments, what does the Auspol hivemind think of Australian Ethical as a managed fund?

This was mentioned a few days ago I think.

High fees because it's an actively managed fund and returns are about the same or worse than a regular industry super fund. Depends on how important ethical investments are to you.

I'd probably call up your existing super provider and ask if they have an ethical option first.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Meanwhile, in SPORTS! related news:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/afl-bans-adelaide-oval-advertising-appeal-supporting-people-in-palestine/story-fni6uok5-1227011426394

quote:

AFL bans Adelaide Oval advertising appeal supporting people in Palestine

ONE of Adelaide's leading businessmen has accused the AFL of censorship and discrimination after it banned a public advertising campaign supporting the people in Palestine.

The AFL last week banned the words “Save Palestine; Save Gaza” and “Help the children of Palestine” from being displayed on billboards at Adelaide Oval branding them political statements.

The pro-Palestinian campaign, organised and to be funded by Argo Restaurant owner Daniel Milky, was to raise money for The Australian Friends of Palestine Association.

Association chairman Dr Sam Shahin, whose family owns the On the Run franchise, said the AFL should be ashamed of itself for banning the appeal, which was to launch at Saturday’s clash between the Adelaide Crows and West Coast.

“I cannot believe in this day and age we censor this sort of humanitarian appeal to help other people in need,” he said.

“Whoever has made the call to ban this type of humanitarian appeal, I hope they can sleep comfortably with that.

“I am just appalled we face this sort of reaction when I thought it would have been the exact opposite and that the would have fostered this sort of behaviour.”

Mr Shahin, whose parents emigrated from Palestine to Lebanon and then to Adelaide in 1984, said the AFL’s actions were “discrimination”.

AFL media relations manager Patrick Keane said the league did not accept “political statements whether they are state politics, federal politics and international politics”.

Mr Milky she had become so concerned about the plight of children in Gaza that he wanted to promote a donations appeal at Adelaide Oval to support the Friends of Palestine.

“The plight of Gaza has become a community issue and part of daily discussion and lots of people want to know what they can do to help,” he said.

“So, I decided to run these 30-second promotional ads during football games.”

Mr Milky said that on Thursday, the Adelaide Football Club had approved and then rejected the wording “Save Palestine, Save Gaza. Donate to https://www.afopa.com.au

On Friday he amended the message to: “Help the children in Palestine”.

Crows business development manager Paul Harrison wrote to Mr Milky that morning stating the club supported the new message.

“After speaking to (chief operating officer) Nigel Smart and after discussing the new LED message we are happy to proceed,” he said in a copy of the letter sighted by the Sunday Mail.

“We will work with (creative design company) Kojo and do all we can to make it happen for this weeks (sic) game.”

But Mr Milky said he was advised later that day, by phone, that the message could not run but said he received no explanation as to why.

A Crows spokesman said: “The club consulted the AFL and it was deemed inappropriate.

“The AFL has the final say on all advertising material and the league does not allow any material to be displayed as a political statement.”

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think it's supposed to be "my friends and I we've cracked the code"

:thejoke: :toot:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ewe2 posted:

I can't believe they allow some unfunny idiot to make fun of Lorde like that. No respect.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

ewe2 posted:

quote:

Eddiexx41 week ago

This is all made out to be a joke, but what people don't understand is that this is ACTUALLY going on. It will happen, and that's the worst part. They don't HIDE what they're doing, they put it out in the open, make it out to be a joke, to calm people down. To try and convince people that it's all a conspiracy. When it's actually a warning. A big warning.

In reality, this "parody" is showing the truth. It says exactly what the MINORITY believe, and puts it out there. Why? Because they think we're all morons. They think we won't catch on. But much of us have, and this whole "tin foil hat" stab only further proves what's going on.

The whole part where he's injected and dies.. It's what's happened to so many famous people who tried to speak out. Michael Jackson, for example. This whole video is spitting in the face of the world by simply dismissing REAL world threats, (look up actual news articles around the world. Fact. Not Imaginary or conspiracy), and you'll see exactly why this video proves that the New World Order is on it's way.

I was a huge fan of Weird Al, but after this video, i'm afraid he's as brainless as any other entertainer in the media. This world is going down. Fast.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Amethyst posted:

I can't believe they allow some unfunny idiot to make fun of Lorde like that. No respect.

Easily the funniest thing about this post is that you're probably 100% serious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Literally the best comments section on Youtube.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Could someone check whether the following list is complete

Barry O'Farrell (NSW Premier)
Mike Gallacher (NSW Police Minister)
Arthur Sinodinos (Federal Assistant Treasurer)
Chris Hartcher (NSW Resources Minister)
Marie Ficarra (???)
Andrew Cornwell (NSW Government Whip)
Tim Owen (???)

I feel that I have missed a couple. Either way it's still an impressive list

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of funny videos check this out

George Brandis on Sky News "explaining" metadata

Gives Mad As Hell a run for their money.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

We really need a diagram or list of every traditionally LNP supporitve group Abbott has put out since coming to the PM position. I've heard of burning the bridges behind you, but under you? Either he has some cunning plan or he's just futzing everything trying to play friend to multiple groups with at odds agendas (it's futzing right?).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Is there a more punchable face in Australia?

Its DocEvil!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

ewe2 posted:

How is it possible to be this bad at explaining it? I've read one article about metadata and I could do it better than he is.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Better then whichever senator it was asking why they couldn't print 'metadata' and store it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Scylo posted:

How is it possible to be this bad at explaining it? I've read one article about metadata and I could do it better than he is.

He's trying (and failing) to explain it in a dishonest way, such that the take home message isn't "we are going to look at all your internet stuff"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nibbles! posted:

Better then whichever senator it was asking why they couldn't print 'metadata' and store it.

That was Ian MacDonald, Senator for Xstrata.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

We really need a diagram or list of every traditionally LNP supporitve group Abbott has put out since coming to the PM position. I've heard of burning the bridges behind you, but under you? Either he has some cunning plan or he's just futzing everything trying to play friend to multiple groups with at odds agendas (it's futzing right?).

It's really much easier to work out which groups he hasn't offended yet.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Guardian Story basically saying cabinet didn't find out about metadata until they read the newspapers. So I guess Cabinet is also another group Abbott is trying to annoy.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/george-brandis-concedes-websites-saved-two-years?CMP=twt_gu

quote:

George Brandis has conceded the government will require telecommunications companies to retain for two years records of all websites visited by their customers. Guardian Australia can reveal the controversial plan caused angry scenes in cabinet on Tuesday.

After a day of mixed messages about exactly what data the government wanted to be retained, the attorney general also revealed to Sky News the government was “in discussion” with telcos about how its plan would treat Skype or services like Facetime and Google chat.

Cabinet ministers learned the national security committee had decided to proceed with the data retention plan from Tuesday morning’s newspapers, and Guardian Australia can reveal it caused a heated discussion in cabinet that morning, as the communications minister, Malcolm Turnbull, became exasperated and angry at the lack of factual information about how it would work in practice.

Asked on Sky whether websites visited by an internet user would be part of the data retained, Brandis said it “wouldn’t extend to, for example, web surfing so what people are viewing on the internet is not going to be caught” but added “what will be caught is the web address they communicate to”.

“The web address is part of the metadata … What the security agencies want to know is the electronic address of the websites … every website has an electronic address, when a connection is made between one computer terminal and a web address, that fact and the time of the connection and duration of the connection is what we mean by metadata in that context.

“But when you visit a website people browse from one thing to the next, there won’t be a capacity to access that, that is not what we are interested in.”

Asked whether social media would be included in the plan, Brandis said “please understand what has been decided is an in-principle decision, the extent to which social media will be included in this is under discussion at the moment.”

Asked whether that would include things like Skype, Facetime or Google Chat, he said “those are the things we are in discussion about … we want to maintain the sharp distinction between metadata and content … and … sometime that distinction is blurred and that is why we are developing protocols to try to ensure the integrity of that distinction is maintained.”

Asked whether terrorist conversations via Skype could be caught by the scheme, Brandis said “we want it to be caught, but in terms of data retention, not all Skype conversations are going to correspond to the description of metadata.”

Tuesday’s pre-cabinet reports said Brandis and Turnbull would be developing an urgent interim plan for data retention, but since the cabinet meeting the prime minister, Tony Abbott, and Brandis have been taking the lead in explaining the decision.

Earlier on Wednesday government officials had clarified that telecommunication companies would be required to store a “uniform or standard” amount of their customers’ metadata for two years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I literally cannot watch this. Listening to Brandis stutter and use lovely analogies is hurting my brain.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The weirdest thing about Chris Berg is that his articles are reprehensible tripe that looks like it was entirely poo poo out as a troll, but his Twitter is actually pretty funny. I'm not convinced that he's not just a very proficient troll.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is it unusual for cabinet to be leaking like a sieve like this? Who do you think is the guilty party?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Berg is a massive troll who is also a libertarian.

ewe2 posted:

My net connection is acting up, the video keeps stuttering.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is it unusual for cabinet to be leaking like a sieve like this? Who do you think is the guilty party?

Rudd.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Chris Sperg

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cry Sperg

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

owns

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Chris Berg has been unintentionally funny the last couple of days, he's so mad at the government.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

No, but what's lovely is that they're leaking to the Guardian. You can bet the Oz is feeling cheated. When they're not crowing over stitching up Mike Carlton. As to the culprit, usually "moderates" are blamed, but this time it could be anyone ambitious. Turnbull's been very quiet, but I would not put it past Scott Morrison.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cabinet's got to be getting pretty lovely about Abbott (plus Credlin and whoever else he confides in) making decisions without consulting them.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cabinet's got to be getting pretty lovely about Abbott (plus Credlin and whoever else he confides in) making decisions without consulting them.

Weren't they attacking Rudd for doing the same thing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Weren't they attacking Rudd for doing the same thing?
Yeah, and rightly so in my opinion.

I don't think a leadership spill is imminent though, as fun as it would be to watch.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
These are dark days for the Classical* Liberals**

*liber
**tarians

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Segregated European state on the other side of the globe to Europe. Maybe they should go back to where they came from.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Where do I need to go to stomp in the heads of those involved in this?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Cultural Marxism.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

Cultural Marxism.

I'm identifying as culturally, ancestorally, ethnically and religiously marxist next census.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Scylo posted:

Guardian Story basically saying cabinet didn't find out about metadata until they read the newspapers. So I guess Cabinet is also another group Abbott is trying to annoy.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/george-brandis-concedes-websites-saved-two-years?CMP=twt_gu

Tony Abbott has managed to come up with a Prime Minister style that combines the most substantial elements of the previous two - breaking promises and announcing policy without first consulting cabinet. He is a visionary.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At high school my year 12 world history teacher told me he was once accosted by a parent, after that parent discovered from his son that my teacher was teaching history from a Marxist perspective. How dare he infest his son with that lefty, communist drivel, this is supposed to be a good Christian school, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Jesus was fundamentally against collectivism.

• Locked thread