Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Squallege posted:

Be glad you got nine. The US was four episodes for $60. Maybe even more.

That is the special edition, the regular one is $40. 10 bucks an episode on a bare bones disk, and the dub is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The dub is fine, the problem is the lovely output of episodes and for whatever stupid loving reason, some dumb idiot decided it'd be a good idea to have Americans try and say character names like they're Japanese, that honestly kills it for me. Speaking of stupid dubs and bad DVD releases, Yugioh 5Ds is getting the first season released entirely from the desecrated remains of 4Kids. Dub only, DVD only as far as we know, January release and we will probably never get a proper release of 5Ds.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-07-31/yu-gi-oh-5d-1st-season-will-ship-on-dvd-in-january/.77170

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Devil Tesla posted:

That is the special edition, the regular one is $40. 10 bucks an episode on a bare bones disk, and the dub is poo poo.

You're thinking the DVD I think.
Though that might only be $30.

But yeah, the way they say Senketsu and Junketsu is weird and they seem to pronounce some words in odd ways but the dub cast is perfectly fine.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service appear to be the next US Ghibli releases. Articles posted have them slated for a November 18 release. Since Spirited Away only just came out in JP, look for that to hit US shores next year, maybe with Porco Rosso or Pom Poko?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Speaking of stupid dubs and bad DVD releases, Yugioh 5Ds is getting the first season released entirely from the desecrated remains of 4Kids. Dub only, DVD only as far as we know, January release and we will probably never get a proper release of 5Ds.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-07-31/yu-gi-oh-5d-1st-season-will-ship-on-dvd-in-january/.77170

Considering that this is 4Kids we're talking about, it was either going to be two SKU's (One with the dub, and an Uncut Japanese version a la what they did for YuGiOh Duel Monsters.) or just the edited dub and nothing else because they don't cater to adults, just kids.

Speaking of bad releases, the second part of Kill La Kill is up for Pre-order and releases on October 21st. Same price as last time but you get five episodes instead of just four! :shepface:
At least shipping's free.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cowboy Bebop is up on Amazon for preorder. I have no idea what the Amazon exclusive edition entails, besides maybe a cover. $70 currently, but could drop over time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea, the only thing exclusive to amazon is the cover.

e: poo poo, I think I read that wrong, but whatever is different hasn't been announced yet

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Kingtheninja posted:

Wings of Honneamise is down to $28 on amazon. Can anyone post how good it looks? I've never seen this before but heard so much about it. I'd like to own it.

It's gorgeous, on par with Disney's Blu-ray of Snow White. Pausing at any point looks like they taped an original animation cel to your TV.
Extras are light other than some behind-the-scenes essays, but it's a great set.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm glad Bebop is finally surfacing, once details emerge about what version contains what I'll be all over that, but why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Shere posted:

I'm glad Bebop is finally surfacing, once details emerge about what version contains what I'll be all over that, but why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.

I'm equally surprised about that, no "Complete first season" set or anything.

GrandpaPants posted:

Cowboy Bebop is up on Amazon for preorder. I have no idea what the Amazon exclusive edition entails, besides maybe a cover. $70 currently, but could drop over time.

Keep in mind the MSRP is $100. This is very much like the Sailor Moon Blu-Ray set (That'll be coming out around the same time as this, coincidentally) where the MSRP is obscene ($80 for that one.) but its much more reasonable pretty much everywhere (Except Amazon, ironically).

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 15, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Shere posted:

[...]why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.
I'm guessing it'll be spring 2015 before we get "Dandy" on Blu-Ray or DVD in the US. Japanese publishers are terrified that their ludicrous price-fixing of physical media will vanish instantly if they let an American publisher put out their product in a reasonable time frame. Still its better to wait than have a fiasco like that one show (I think "Persona 4"?) where the Japanese publisher made the American licensing company put out a dub-only release that was strictly prohibited from sale outside North America.

Speaking of "Dandy", why is the second season not on iTunes at all? The first season was there from the start, so what the hell is the hold-up?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

I'm guessing it'll be spring 2015 before we get "Dandy" on Blu-Ray or DVD in the US. Japanese publishers are terrified that their ludicrous price-fixing of physical media will vanish instantly if they let an American publisher put out their product in a reasonable time frame. Still its better to wait than have a fiasco like that one show (I think "Persona 4"?) where the Japanese publisher made the American licensing company put out a dub-only release that was strictly prohibited from sale outside North America.

Its less the price fixing and more of their (slightly crazy) fears of reverse importation, where Japan folks will buy stuff from here on the cheap and not the Japanese releases.

But yeah, the Persona 4 Anime was hit with that regarding the Blu-Ray version (But not the DVD, curiously enough). Its also why some companies like Funimation were forced to release DVD-only sets of shows like Panty & Stocking and Deadman Wonderland (They both eventually got Blu-Ray sets, but it took like a year after the DVD releases.)

Its no secret that Japan's releases are way overpriced for what they contain, but apparently it works that way.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Robert Denby posted:

Speaking of "Dandy", why is the second season not on iTunes at all? The first season was there from the start, so what the hell is the hold-up?

Dandy in japan has been trickling out slowly, the first season isn't even out completely yet. Volume 5 is out at the end of the month which includes episodes 12 and 13. The show will probably finish coming out around january. Par for the course for any show really. If you think about it it's not an unreasonable time frame, poo poo like the venture bros to give an example of western media takes forever to come out on home media.

Also as someone who is actually buying the JP BDs because they actually support the creators in some way I can say they're cool as gently caress and will likely be better than anything funimation will put out (if their simulcasts are anything to go by), especially since they do come with the dub and english subtitles.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 15, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its less the price fixing and more of their (slightly crazy) fears of reverse importation, where Japan folks will buy stuff from here on the cheap and not the Japanese releases.

But yeah, the Persona 4 Anime was hit with that regarding the Blu-Ray version (But not the DVD, curiously enough). Its also why some companies like Funimation were forced to release DVD-only sets of shows like Panty & Stocking and Deadman Wonderland (They both eventually got Blu-Ray sets, but it took like a year after the DVD releases.)
'Reverse importation' was the term I was trying to come up with in my last post. Funi doing those DVD-only sets was apparently because Kadokawa threw a hissy fit and wouldn't allow any Blu-Ray releases of their properties outside of Japan for an entire year. For some reason.

Uznare posted:

If you think about it it's not an unreasonable time frame, poo poo like the venture bros to give an example of western media takes forever to come out on home media.
Usually the release window with American shows (animation included) has to do with when a new season is coming out. Fox seems to be the most dedicated to this, as stuff like "Archer" has its previous season released on DVD and Blu-Ray about two or three weeks before the new season starts airing.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

'Reverse importation' was the term I was trying to come up with in my last post. Funi doing those DVD-only sets was apparently because Kadokawa threw a hissy fit and wouldn't allow any Blu-Ray releases of their properties outside of Japan for an entire year. For some reason.

Yeah, that was the reason from my recollection. Its not like PSG really needed Blu-ray anyway since its just upscaled to begin with, but I've gotten into the habit of just buying Blu-Ray and getting the DVD as a bonus since everybody seems so committed to the Blu-Ray/DVD Combo pack nowadays so getting a DVD only set bites.

It didn't matter though, I got a fancy pants coin and bought the Blu-Ray set later anyway because I'm a lousy double dipper. :shepspends:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Robert Denby posted:

Usually the release window with American shows (animation included) has to do with when a new season is coming out. Fox seems to be the most dedicated to this, as stuff like "Archer" has its previous season released on DVD and Blu-Ray about two or three weeks before the new season starts airing.

The home video releases in this case are treated as promotional materials for the new season, yeah. It's pretty much par for the course here, with the discs streeting about three months after the season finishing (for full August-May shows). It looks worse with the short, uninterrupted seasons of certain cable shows though.

Uznare posted:

If you think about it it's not an unreasonable time frame, poo poo like the venture bros to give an example of western media takes forever to come out on home media.

That's mostly just Cartoon Network being horrifically slow. Aside from the Venture Bros delays, Adventure Time s3 just came out this February (6 is on the air now) with season 4 dropping in October. Regular Show s3 just came out in June (5 is on the air now). This is their normal, but not really indicative of anything else.

And, of course, there's also the issue that even these are at least full seasons, rather than two episode singles. So there's that. CN is a serious outlier though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyone know if the upcoming release of Gatchaman:CROWDS has the redone final episode? There's a review on amazon's pre-order page claiming it does not, but I'm not sure where to look to try to confirm it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

a kitten posted:

Anyone know if the upcoming release of Gatchaman:CROWDS has the redone final episode? There's a review on amazon's pre-order page claiming it does not, but I'm not sure where to look to try to confirm it.
It would be insane not to release it with 12DC. Since this is a Sentai Filmworks release and they're poo poo, I'm pretty sure it indeed doesn't include it. Rightstuf certainly doesn't list.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The Amazon exclusive Cowboy Bebop extras have been revealed.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/08/15/cowboy-bebop-amazon-exclusive-details/

quote:

Release date: 12/16/14
Includes:
Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
Exclusive Limited Edition clamshell art box
140 page black and white art book featuring concept sketches and designs that highlight Cowboy Bebop‘s origins
48 page vibrant, full-color art book
It's priced at $69 as opposed to the $99 it was at before.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

It would be insane not to release it with 12DC. Since this is a Sentai Filmworks release and they're poo poo, I'm pretty sure it indeed doesn't include it. Rightstuf certainly doesn't list.

Fuckin hell. So much for ordering that I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Squallege posted:

The Amazon exclusive Cowboy Bebop extras have been revealed.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/08/15/cowboy-bebop-amazon-exclusive-details/

It's priced at $69 as opposed to the $99 it was at before.

Very awesome, I'll preorder that real quick. I hope the art book isn't a copy of the one I bought years ago.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

OZC posted:

That's their plan, though someone recently asked them the status of the Sunrise stuff they picked up and they said they hadn't gotten materials for most of the shows, so it's hard to say if they'll still have it out by the end of the year.

I suppose that answers my question regarding how soon we're getting Escaflowne on BR. :sigh:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
One day we will get to listen to Kanno's Escaflowne soundtrack in lossless audio, hopefully with awesome remastered video. However, I won't even lie if they just cleaned it up a bit and upscaled it with remastered the audio I'd buy it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Rightstuf actually asked Sentai and it was confirmed it does not have the redone final episode.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...-episode/.77784

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:psypop:
That's really too bad, I was literally getting really to click the preorder button when i got curious. If I want to rewatch I guess I'll just do it on cr again and watch the fansub for the ending.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Beef Waifu posted:

Rightstuf actually asked Sentai and it was confirmed it does not have the redone final episode.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...-episode/.77784

Sentai posted:

That particular episode, what people call the 'OVA episode,' belongs to someone else, not the original licensor that we did business with to acquire the 12 episode series. I can't say with absolute certainty that we won't get it in the future, but for now it is exclusive to Japan.
(I've never seen anybody call it the OVA episode)
How can they license 12 episodes on BD but be unable to license the director's cut? I imported the Japanese set and the director's cut disc has the exact same copyright notices printed on it that all the others do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What? Seriously? How? Why?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

What? Seriously? How? Why?

TV show property rights can be incredibly granular. Like you don't always get the rights to the music during the opening and credits when you license the show. The extra episode happened outside of what was broadcast sooooooo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Another question about the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray set. I'm looking at the store page, it says that the pre-order period has ended, but you can sign up for the wait-list. Is that offer still valid? If so, does it still include the same stuff you'd get if you had donated to the Kickstarter?

Additionally, does anyone know if it'll be available through any other storefront, like Amazon? If not, will there be a cheaper version of the Blu-Ray set that doesn't have all the trinkets?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Funimation's exclusive Cowboy Bebop bonuses have been listed.

quote:

Complete TV series on Blu-ray and DVD (combo pack)
Exclusive Limited Edition tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
Display easel for packaging
Four exclusive art cards
One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
- See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/08/22/cowboy-bebop-funimation-exclusive-details/
It's also cheaper than Amazon at the moment. I'm sticking with Amazon though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The way the packaging is advertised makes it seem like it would be a pain to display.

I imagine it looks cool though, but the Amazon one sounds like a better deal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hopefully Fumigation (not fixing the autocomplete) does better getting this out on time than they have with Evangelion 3. :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'll wait to see what the actual cover art looks like to make a decision, but yeah the Amazon version sounds pretty great at the moment.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

Hopefully Fumigation (not fixing the autocomplete) does better getting this out on time than they have with Evangelion 3. :v:

Well considering they have no "Theatrical demand" bullshit to hide behind or any redubbing to do I imagine they'll do just fine.
They must already have the materials they need.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Box art for Mononoke and Kiki's has been posted. I was kind of hoping they'd do more than just copy/paste the dvd artwork for Mononoke, but oh well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I can't tell which is worse, american Ghibli blurays, which have all that poo poo up at the top that squeezes the art down into the bottom half, or Japanese Ghibli blurays.

I dare you to like something.

I like the simplicity of the silhouette, myself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'll venture a guess that it was sarcasm.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is a dumb opinion and you should feel bad about it.

• Locked thread