Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

I wish more resource packs had mod support, but I realize with literally hundreds of "really popular" level mods out there that's a drat tall order. It's just jarring to have something as coherent and pretty as Dandelion, and then every new block sticks out like a sore thumb dipped in neon paint.

Whenever I do my DIY-modkit stuff, I always use Painterly alt textures so you can use Painterly and it all looks good :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of fun texture stuff, which one(s) out there, if any, use the animation aspect for stuff.

I was wanting to see waving leaves, grass, effects on ores, etc

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Fuego Fish posted:

Whenever I do my DIY-modkit stuff, I always use Painterly alt textures so you can use Painterly and it all looks good :shobon:

Reminder that there's a giant 60 meg zip of a bazillion textures right on the Painterly page for this very reason - if you can't find something there that's what you need, odds are you can recolour/mix and match bits of existing blocks to do this, and I've said before that I'm more than happy to host any completed zips done in this way for mods on my site, though have never had any takers.

I really, really wish it was feasible to do mod support for painterly, but given that every single time I've attempted it, either the mod has stopped being updated, radically changed, or spiraled out of control in feature bloat, it just turned into this horrific cycle of trying to keep the mod list current and working as the mods often changed faster than I could keep up, and sometimes even dropped/discontinued in the middle of me working on updates for them. As a volunteer sort of thing, it wasn't worth putting in literal full-time work hours to keep working options for even a handful of mods at one time. :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

Reminder that there's a giant 60 meg zip of a bazillion textures right on the Painterly page for this very reason - if you can't find something there that's what you need, odds are you can recolour/mix and match bits of existing blocks to do this, and I've said before that I'm more than happy to host any completed zips done in this way for mods on my site, though have never had any takers.

All of my "mods" are just using the DIY kit "Custom Stuff 2" so they're not really "real" mods. Plus I never finish them because I take a look at the upcoming features the modmaker is gonna add and go "oh, jeez, that'd be really neat to have" and then by the time they're actually in there I want to redo the whole thing from scratch again.

Then I get too ambitious and start trying to redo potion-making and other stuff that you can't do with CS2, and it's all downhill from there.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eD7DcrRLvU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What song is this?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Babe Magnet posted:

What song is this?

yeah i really wish he'd said it in the video description instead of leaving it blank

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Babe Magnet posted:

What song is this?

We may never know.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So the best change in the recent snapshots is being able to right click the sunlight detector in order to invert it. Now you can just place them on top of redstone lamps for easy lights that come on at night. :neckbeard:

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

wyoming posted:

So the best change in the recent snapshots is being able to right click the sunlight detector in order to invert it. Now you can just place them on top of redstone lamps for easy lights that come on at night. :neckbeard:

You mean lamps that shine except during midday?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yay, the "favourite texture pack" discussion! Conquest looks pretty grimdark, good for medievalish builds for example.

The textures look easily very aliased though, so you need AF to fix that. But I like the connected stone textures some packs have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I run the texture pack the game ships with. :colbert:

Because I also always play the newest snapshot and gently caress trying to keep that stuff working week after week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Because I also always play the newest snapshot and gently caress trying to keep that stuff working week after week.

But with the way resource packs work now it just keeps working.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm arguing with people on Reddit about how little xp balls make sense, and it should just switch over to how every other game on the planet does xp; giving it directly to the player. :psyduck: How do people not think the current 'ball' system is worse?

Please tell me I'm not crazy.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 7, 2014

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The ball system is terrible because the game needs to display all of those entities. This is a problem if you just wipe out your mob/exp farm and have your framerate drop to 0 (and potentially crash/corrupt your game)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Literally the only use for them is that you can recover some of your lost XP if you die and find your stuff on time. This would be remedied by only having you lose a portion of your XP to begin with, or doing a tombstone type thing that gave the exact same amount back when you removed it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine it's supposed to make it easier to find where you die, as it's littered with glowing balls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda like the little collectable balls of XP, and I've never had any issues with them so... Eh?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda like the little collectable balls of XP, and I've never had any issues with them so... Eh?

I've had issues with them. When you eventually build a grinder (because getting enchantments the legit way is boring), and you slaughter about a hundred zombies in one go the little blobs get stuck on the way to your XP bar. They then proceed to fly around your head, and block your view.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That, and you don't get Xp from a bow kill delivered to you, which is what started my reddit argument. Almost immediately, people started assuming that I wanted loot delivered to me as well, which is stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess, though I kinda like the little orb collection thing. Maybe a halfway where orbs fly towards you over long distances. The animation is rather pleasing and I enjoy it in all games that use it.

Or maybe a weapon enchant that does it, anything killed with a weapon using that enchant will have its drops fly towards you, would be sort of fun to sit and shoot things with a bow from your castle and have the drops fly to you.

Hmm, I think I know why I like collecting them though, it's possible I simply enjoy collecting anything shiny in a videogame that makes a ding noise when you pick it up. I played way too much mario when I was younger.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 7, 2014

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
They really should collect together into larger chunks like dropped blocks do. That way mob farms for exp don't cause massive lag from massive orb numbers

also don't put an upper limit on the balls and give them different sprites for the larger ones for crazy hacked Thaumcraft aura node silliness

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I kinda like the little orbs of experience, they're satisfying. They're terrible for gameplay, sure, but they're satisfying. Maybe players should still drop them, and there could be an option to have them animate flying towards you when you kill mobs (but you just get the experience without having to worry about the entities, and you can turn the pretty effect for it off)?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
MC's whole experience system has been awful from the start and I would not be sad for a minute to see it go.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

xzzy posted:

I was the same until less than a week ago. You should give Faithful a shot, it's a little easier on the eyes, and because it's so similar to stock it's not very jarring to see the stock textures on new stuff. Also the artist is pretty quick at updating.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IronicDongz posted:

MC's whole experience system has been awful from the start and I would not be sad for a minute to see it go.
I have to agree. The item-based foundation of the game doesn't feel to me like it gels with the XP system.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Vib Rib posted:

I have to agree. The item-based foundation of the game doesn't feel to me like it gels with the XP system.

There was this period where Notch was really "This is an RPG!" and we got XP, enchanting, bow animations, nonfunctional NPCs and eventually that drat Enderdragon. A lot of the updates we've seen since have been nice in fleshing out the more "build-y" bits of Minecraft adding some variation to vanilla. I wonder what Minecraft could be be if it was handled by a normal-sized team.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Okan170 posted:

I wonder what Minecraft could be be if it was handled by a normal-sized team.

Or if it actually had a fleshed-out design roadmap (it doesn't)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what would've happened if Mojang had agreed to sell out to Valve.

(Besides hats)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game would take even longer to be finished.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The sole point of experience is to limit what enchantments you can create by making you spend time doing a bunch of stuff first. So you mine, smelt, farm, hunt, and so forth.

Contrast to potion-making, which requires literally no experience. Your limit is based on resources gathered.

So why not just have it so enchantments are dependent on ingredients, like potions? Want power for your bow? Blaze powder. Want fortune for your pick? Emerald. Want protection for your armor? Obsidian block.

Hell, put it as a gradient. Gold nugget gets you Looting I, gold ingot gets you Looting II, gold block gets you Looting III.

Experience seems like such a weird throwback mechanic, like enemies dropping coins in old platformers. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the game.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

The sole point of experience is to limit what enchantments you can create by making you spend time doing a bunch of stuff first. So you mine, smelt, farm, hunt, and so forth.

Contrast to potion-making, which requires literally no experience. Your limit is based on resources gathered.

So why not just have it so enchantments are dependent on ingredients, like potions? Want power for your bow? Blaze powder. Want fortune for your pick? Emerald. Want protection for your armor? Obsidian block.

Hell, put it as a gradient. Gold nugget gets you Looting I, gold ingot gets you Looting II, gold block gets you Looting III.

Experience seems like such a weird throwback mechanic, like enemies dropping coins in old platformers. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the game.

Well, in a way, 1.8 enchanting is like that since what enchantments you have access to are dependent on the total number of levels you have, but the cost to enchant is never more than three levels and enchanting now costs lapis. :v:

That aside, I really like the 1.8 enchanting system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Experience seems like such a weird throwback mechanic, like enemies dropping coins in old platformers.

:stonk:

But... collecting them is so fun!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

scaevola posted:

You mean lamps that shine except during midday?

Yeah, I forgot they work that way. :smith:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

OwlFancier posted:

:stonk:

But... collecting them is so fun!

Oh, I ain't saying that it's bad for platformers, where generally you're engaging with your enemies at close-ish range, certainly close enough to pick up whatever they drop after you've bopped them on the head or whatever. But in Minecraft it's kind of balls.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone remember for the first month of the experience system where if any player ever died at any point they would lag the entire server to a standstill because of 500 orbs sitting around?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

They really should collect together into larger chunks like dropped blocks do. That way mob farms for exp don't cause massive lag from massive orb numbers

They used to cause a problem when you'd drop too much XP, but they fixed that by having it drop large orbs of collected XP if too much was dropped by one person. They just didn't design around mob farms where you're killing hundreds of individual small XP drops rapidly.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Enzer posted:

Well, in a way, 1.8 enchanting is like that since what enchantments you have access to are dependent on the total number of levels you have, but the cost to enchant is never more than three levels and enchanting now costs lapis. :v:

That aside, I really like the 1.8 enchanting system.

So, just so I understand, enchanting will work like this?:

I need both 30 levels *and* enough bookshelves to get the level 30 enchants.
The truest "cost" of an enchant is now measured in lapis, with an XP tax as well.
Other than that, nothing's changed?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, I've been experimenting with running Minecraft on my laptop, and it sucks. Do any of you guys ever use a laptop for MC? How do you handle the whole missing-mouse-button aspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

So, just so I understand, enchanting will work like this?:

I need both 30 levels *and* enough bookshelves to get the level 30 enchants.
The truest "cost" of an enchant is now measured in lapis, with an XP tax as well.
Other than that, nothing's changed?

You need thirty levels to get the thirty level enchants, but it will only take three levels, so after one enchant you'll be down to twenty-seven. You can go over thirty, to say sixty (though mind diminishing returns and blah blah), and do level thirty enchants over and over, they only cost three levels and three lapis. That and a tool tip now gives you an idea of what the enchant will be.