Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

Is there any reason, any reason at all, for the druid to exist.

Not really, because they couldn't put a foot down and decide if it was a caster or not.

I guess you could give shifter and warrior druid to ranger, to give them more interesting options. Maybe at least that can come out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
If I want to play a Geomancer from final fantasy I'll just homebrew a talent for another class I guess.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I looked through the classes and I feel like a redcap (in disguise) monk could have high comedic potential with the powers renamed a little:

quote:

Surprise, Fuckers! (adventurer tier form)

Opening attack (Cupboard Conceals Danger) -> flow attack (Knives Bloom Red Flowers) -> finishing attack (Iron Boot Splatters Face)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Nihnoz posted:

If I want to play a Geomancer from final fantasy I'll just homebrew a talent for another class I guess.

Well, the druid gets a lot of flak (because it's terrible) but you can do some cool stuff with it, especially if you multiclass. Want a geomancer? Be a multi-class Druid/Wizard. Take Adept Terrain Casting and then Vance's Polysllabic Verbalizations (which works on all Daily spells, doesn't say anything about wizard spells). Rename all your wizard spells according to theme, and with Vance that will actually change the effect to be more geomancer-y too! As a bonus you also get Overworld Advantage for your Terrain + Wizard spells and Ritual Magic applies to both types. You end up with an awfully solid build with tons of those sweet, sweet, dailies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've decided to revive something I was working on a little while after the game launched: improvements to the simpler classes. A lot of what I did early on was...problematic, but I've decided to salvage some of it and work it into something. I've got a draft of the Improved Fighter up. It's still rough and needs work. I'd appreciate any comments on it to those who are interested.

Edit: I should mention this: commenting is enabled. Also, most of the work was focused on the maneuver system, but talents were also tweaked.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Well, the druid gets a lot of flak (because it's terrible) but you can do some cool stuff with it, especially if you multiclass. Want a geomancer? Be a multi-class Druid/Wizard. Take Adept Terrain Casting and then Vance's Polysllabic Verbalizations (which works on all Daily spells, doesn't say anything about wizard spells). Rename all your wizard spells according to theme, and with Vance that will actually change the effect to be more geomancer-y too! As a bonus you also get Overworld Advantage for your Terrain + Wizard spells and Ritual Magic applies to both types. You end up with an awfully solid build with tons of those sweet, sweet, dailies.

Plus with Int/Wis you can put the rest of your points in Con and end up with pretty good defenses in everything but PD.

Dec 26, 2012

Wouldn't using Vance on druid spells violate the whole no-crossing-the-streams multiclass thing?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

01011001 posted:

Wouldn't using Vance on druid spells violate the whole no-crossing-the-streams multiclass thing?

Re-reading it. Yeah... maybe... I guess so. But it's not like Gather Power or whatever. It won't break the game and if your GM is going to be that strict he's a jerkface.

Also the language in the original book can be weird. See some things specifically mention "wizard" actions or "wizard" spells while others don't. I think some of the language was kept from mutliclass playtesting.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 5, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

01011001 posted:

Personally, I'd charge an Adventurer feat and roll with it, same as using fighter flexibles on a rangers double attack or whatever.

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, it's not going to break anything if you let it work for both, I'm just saying because

quote:

(which works on all Daily spells, doesn't say anything about wizard spells)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, I saw the wording and forgot that the no mixing rule applies to class features that modify powers too. After reading the example again I agree that it's technically not allowed but doesn't hurt anyone.

Dec 26, 2012

Covok posted:

I've decided to revive something I was working on a little while after the game launched: improvements to the simpler classes. A lot of what I did early on was...problematic, but I've decided to salvage some of it and work it into something. I've got a draft of the Improved Fighter up. It's still rough and needs work. I'd appreciate any comments on it to those who are interested.

Edit: I should mention this: commenting is enabled. Also, most of the work was focused on the maneuver system, but talents were also tweaked.

I'm pretty bad at figuring out how to do comments on gdocs so I'll just run down my quick read impressions here:

• Power Attack needs a little love, in talents. It's never been terribly good or interesting.
  • There's not much of a point in splitting Carve an Opening and Aim For the Weak Spot into two maneuvers. Also it's not a very good effect even combined.
  • Deadly Assault, Heavy Blows, and Precision Attack all do too similar a thing by default now (add 2/level damage vs add escalation damage vs add dex damage), except they aren't really balanced against one another without the Heavy Blows feat because 2/level (with the feat 3/level) outpaces the others very quickly.
  • Two-Weapon Pressure was already solid, it didn't terribly need to be better and simultaneously less and more restrictive. In general it's not a bad thing if some maneuvers work on "any miss", it's not like that's an uncommon trigger and it lets you gate more appropriate abilities to an attack that's not also doing appreciable damage that round.
  • On a related note I can understand wanting to strip away shield/two-weapon/two-handed maneuver baggage but there's little reason to use a shield or two weapons now - they all use the same maneuvers and extra damage is generally better than 1AC or rerolls on 2's. This is a system thing in general but I'm picking on it here because there were decent reasons to not always go two-handed with fighters unlike the default barbarian/paladin. If you care about this I'd approach the idea either from the overarching class end (give shield +defenses, do something with two weapons) or go the other direction with that and give each maneuver some little perk based on specific loadout (my preference).
  • Arrow to the Knee is kind of strange in that it applies a nonstandard condition, and one that asks for 3 move actions to do a thing at that. Maybe rejigger it so it uses a standard condition like stuck?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

After playing a Monk in a couple of campaigns it's pretty okay, though I dislike how doing literally anything but a form attack mostly ruins you for the whole combat. They're really slow to ramp up.

So to help speed them up a bit, what if, instead of using a basic attack during an attack of opportunity, Monks could spend a point of ki to use the next step in a form instead? It shouldn't be too crazy, since that would require the Monk to forgo spending another point of ki to fudge the die or use a ki power, at least until they take the champion-tier ki feat.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I just noticed this about the Martial Artist but the Oaken Pole Form power and the Adventurer Feat both do the same thing? One just says hit and one says attack? Does that mean something different in this case?

http://mystictheurge.com/?p=472 here's the page for it so you can look at it.

So to clear this up - without the feat the next time an enemy attacks you, you reduce the damage. With the feat, the next time you are hit - whether that's immediately or in three rounds - you reduce the damage. The time factor is the upgrade. There aren't that many enemies who deal miss damage, but I see the problem you're running into. I'll add this to the list of corrections for the class (which is like, two right now) but until I do, change the adventurer feat from "hit" to "take damage" which should solve the miss damage weirdness and still enforce the improved time factor. Thanks for the question!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Another question! In the fancy new Eldcaller PDF, it says that the Eldcaller uses Dex for their basic melee in the basic attacks block, but everywhere else says that you have to have the Trickster in order to use it. Was this just a typo, or an old thing that never got changed or what?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Another question! In the fancy new Eldcaller PDF, it says that the Eldcaller uses Dex for their basic melee in the basic attacks block, but everywhere else says that you have to have the Trickster in order to use it. Was this just a typo, or an old thing that never got changed or what?

I think that's a typo and the attack stat should be Strength, but Fish can maybe answer that better.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Yup, should be strength with taking the Trickster needed to use DEX.

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

Is there any reason, any reason at all, for the druid to exist.

Is there any reason for the wizard to exist? The fighter? Rogue? I mean, aside from the obvious, that people thought it would be fun to pretend to be one in a game.

I don't get what you are going for here.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Dionysos510 posted:

Is there any reason for the wizard to exist? The fighter? Rogue? I mean, aside from the obvious, that people thought it would be fun to pretend to be one in a game.

It doesn't really fill a role that isn't filled by other classes and has nothing concrete holding it together.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Dionysos510 posted:

I'm saying it's a bad class and asking how I could redeem it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nihnoz posted:

I'm saying it's a bad class and asking how I could redeem it.

I think giving 4 talents is a serviceable fix

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Or having it gain a talent at each tier like the Ranger. Honestly when I first saw the Druid, and then again when I saw the final version, I actually kind of liked how it was done. Since the talents were major things that completely changed the way the class built. A lot of talents other classes have seem rather mediocre and small but the Druid's had huge effects on how it played.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Druid talents aren't actually talents, they're fractional mix-n-match subclasses. There are no actual Druid talents.

Thought experiment: What does a druid who assigns no talents look like?

Now, what does a wizard who assigns no talents look like?

Dec 26, 2012

It's really pretty hard to imagine the same team that designed the Bard designed the Druid.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Druid looks like Multiclassing: The Class, which would be cool if there wasn't actual multiclassing in the same book. I mean I prefer the 2/3 + 1/3 form of multiclassing, which the Druid would do, but still. (Still gonna play a druid if I ever notDM 13th Age, I bet.)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

01011001 posted:

It's really pretty hard to imagine the same team that designed the Bard designed the Druid.

I honestly feel like the Bard is probably the best class in 13th Age. Like not in a 'this is amazingly great'. It's great, sure, but I'm saying best in a 'not overpowered but certainly the best bang for your buck' style. It's versatile without any of the stuff it's versatile about really suffering, while adding stuff that other classes can't do.

Basically I'm saying the Bard is OP but not necessarily by numbers, purely by the amount of options it has.

It's very strange.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, so I'm running my first game for some friends soon, and I'm super excited! I have one question though, and that is about the paladin's cleric training talent. It says that you add the spell as part of your powers, but what I'm wondering is if that just makes it a daily power, or if it adds spells per-day to the paladin? I was also thinking about just making it encounter for some spells, but I want to double check with the thread because the book doesn't specify.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I believe they get the spell the same way the Cleric does, so daily if it's a daily spell, or more often if it's a spell the Cleric gets more often (once per battle or at-will).

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 6, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I believe they get the spell the same way the Cleric does, so daily if it's a daily spell, or more often if it's a spell the Cleric gets more often (once per battle or at-will).

oh, duh. I'm not sure why I didn't look at that earlier, that should have been pretty obvious. Thanks for the quick reply though!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Ugh. I just got done with a disaster of a play by post. Wasn't really the DM's fault, though. Much more the adventure. The Burrowing Dead it's called. We did just fine until the mayor told us about the creepy tomb outside and because we weren't brain dead, we figured the undead we're coming from there. And we were right! But because we didn't waste our time faffing about, we somehow got there to late, where we would have otherwise gotten there just fine. And then we fought an encounter balanced for 8 people with only 5. And one of the enemies had an at-will confuse save ends. And not to mention all the last gasp saves all over the place. I mean we're level 2! We don't even have level 3 powers yet. And we're meant to take on a level 5 and a level 4 accompanied by some level 2s?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, why are there save(x3)-or-dies on a second level monster?

There's no reason those couldn't be normal zombies.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think giving 4 talents is a serviceable fix

I think 6 talents is closer:

A cleric is much better than a strength druid in terms of durability-- increasing base hp by 1 does not really make up fro the four point discrepancy in AC. The druid then spends 3 talents on elemental/terrain caster to get the cleric's spell progression. Wild healer adept (2 talents) starts out weaker than the cleric's heal class feature, and ends up stronger (and the cleric doesn't have to spend feats to access at-will spells).

So, six talents is what I would do. Gonna recommend that to the druid in my fiancee's game.

Edited because I forgot that druids now start with wizard AC.

Earthorn fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

djw175 posted:

Ugh. I just got done with a disaster of a play by post. Wasn't really the DM's fault, though. Much more the adventure. The Burrowing Dead it's called. We did just fine until the mayor told us about the creepy tomb outside and because we weren't brain dead, we figured the undead we're coming from there. And we were right! But because we didn't waste our time faffing about, we somehow got there to late, where we would have otherwise gotten there just fine. And then we fought an encounter balanced for 8 people with only 5. And one of the enemies had an at-will confuse save ends. And not to mention all the last gasp saves all over the place. I mean we're level 2! We don't even have level 3 powers yet. And we're meant to take on a level 5 and a level 4 accompanied by some level 2s?
What did you roll dice for? Because holy poo poo, every failure seems to screw you good and proper. That's before getting to the wafer thin structure and unfair monster design. S'all a whole bunch of nothing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

djw175 posted:

Not to mention that the level 5 has a basic at-will attack that confuses (save ends).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
That's the level 4 actually. The level 5 is just made of damage. Which means even if you had faffed about, you'd still have fought it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

01011001 posted:

I'm pretty bad at figuring out how to do comments on gdocs so I'll just run down my quick read impressions here:

• Power Attack needs a little love, in talents. It's never been terribly good or interesting.
  • There's not much of a point in splitting Carve an Opening and Aim For the Weak Spot into two maneuvers. Also it's not a very good effect even combined.
  • Deadly Assault, Heavy Blows, and Precision Attack all do too similar a thing by default now (add 2/level damage vs add escalation damage vs add dex damage), except they aren't really balanced against one another without the Heavy Blows feat because 2/level (with the feat 3/level) outpaces the others very quickly.
  • Two-Weapon Pressure was already solid, it didn't terribly need to be better and simultaneously less and more restrictive. In general it's not a bad thing if some maneuvers work on "any miss", it's not like that's an uncommon trigger and it lets you gate more appropriate abilities to an attack that's not also doing appreciable damage that round.
  • On a related note I can understand wanting to strip away shield/two-weapon/two-handed maneuver baggage but there's little reason to use a shield or two weapons now - they all use the same maneuvers and extra damage is generally better than 1AC or rerolls on 2's. This is a system thing in general but I'm picking on it here because there were decent reasons to not always go two-handed with fighters unlike the default barbarian/paladin. If you care about this I'd approach the idea either from the overarching class end (give shield +defenses, do something with two weapons) or go the other direction with that and give each maneuver some little perk based on specific loadout (my preference).
  • Arrow to the Knee is kind of strange in that it applies a nonstandard condition, and one that asks for 3 move actions to do a thing at that. Maybe rejigger it so it uses a standard condition like stuck?

I like your suggestions and I've been working to address them though I am not really finished yet. Once I feel I've adequately addressed them, I'll get back to you.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RyvenCedrylle posted:

So to clear this up - without the feat the next time an enemy attacks you, you reduce the damage. With the feat, the next time you are hit - whether that's immediately or in three rounds - you reduce the damage. The time factor is the upgrade. There aren't that many enemies who deal miss damage, but I see the problem you're running into. I'll add this to the list of corrections for the class (which is like, two right now) but until I do, change the adventurer feat from "hit" to "take damage" which should solve the miss damage weirdness and still enforce the improved time factor. Thanks for the question!

Yeah, I sent you a message about this, but even with this explanation I'd suggest making the feat the default and coming up with a new feat for Oaken Pole because as it stands it seems pretty uninspiring, all things considered. By default it triggers even on a whiff, which is lame, but for a feat it only triggers on a hit, when you'd actually want it!

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah, I sent you a message about this, but even with this explanation I'd suggest making the feat the default and coming up with a new feat for Oaken Pole because as it stands it seems pretty uninspiring, all things considered. By default it triggers even on a whiff, which is lame, but for a feat it only triggers on a hit, when you'd actually want it!

Thing is, Oaken Pole is really good otherwise. I've questioned whether it's too good, in fact, or at least a clear head and shoulders above the rest of level 1. If I juice that part up, would it make the Form a no-brainer?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So, I'm a level 8 Rogue, and I'm bored with my attack powers.

There's very little in terms of options besides bleeding strike, potentially hampering with a slick feint, or, if the enemy's about to die, going for an assassin's strike (then going on to bleeding strike).

What're some level 7 or 9 attack powers that are balanced for multi-attacks, ally aiding, or battlefield manipulation? Two basic attacks or attacking invisible enemies seem really lame.

On the plus side, between Roll with It, a shimmering sash, a ring of defense (lower natural attacks by 1) and a few other powers, I only get hit electively, or be mental attacks. But if I have momentum, there aren't a ton of options to hit with!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Swashbuckle all day e'rry day.