Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Lets face it, the whole of the UK has access to some awesome stuff, whether that's good restaurants and nightlife or some rolling hills and valleys.

The problem is all the loving british people everywhere. Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah but you're hours away from a performance of The Lion King Musical.

*weeps silently into Greggs steak bake*

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Malcolm XML posted:

Cool I totally want to take a 75% paycut to do a job with worse career prospects so that I can live in the sticks with a lower cost of living! (Yes I've been offered these)

The good jobs outside London are few and far between, and pay nonlinearly less.

I moved from London to Liverpool his year and got a 10% raise in salary because my skillset is harder to find up here. Had a good choice of places to work as well. Better prospects as well.

So I'm going to say you don't know what you're on about.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cerv posted:

brighton train'll drop you at croydon, clapham, victoria, london bridge or blackfriars.
you're probably not got another hour travel to be honest.

Brighton is awesome, but as expensive as London.

Also enjoy £5500 a year just for commuting into London on one of the most overcrowded trains you'll have the displeasure of standing up in.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think you'll find that Glasgow is da best and all others are da rest.

Based on the highly drunken weekend I just had, confirmed.

Lovely place.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

"Bristol is ok if you avoid St.Paul's Bedminster, Brislington, Easton, Fishpounds, Filton, Frenchay, Hartcliffe, Knowle, Lawrence Hill, Southmead and St.George"- My last Boss.

Bristol is actually great as long as you don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spuckuk posted:

Brighton is awesome, but as expensive as London.

Also enjoy £5500 a year just for commuting into London on one of the most overcrowded trains you'll have the displeasure of standing up in.

brighton came up because Aliginge wanted to visit. nobody was talking about living there and commuting to London

haakman
May 5, 2011
Norwich is UNESCO's first city of literature in England. You also have the Norfolk Broads nearby, which are beautiful if you like that sort of thing.

Sadly it is at least 2+ hours away from a performance of Stomp! Clearly culturally lacking.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bozza posted:

e:f,b

You guys do know that there are other cities right?

"Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol = the sticks"
:goonsay:

Cardiff owns. I've made more money busking in Cardiff in one week than I've made in months in London. Plus it's just a better place than London in general what with it being run by the Welsh.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Party Boat posted:

*weeps silently into Greggs steak bake*

Any city without 3 Greggs within line of sight is not a real city.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Greggs is garbagge.

Though I do appreciate their efforts to bring lower cost eating to motorway service stations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

KKKlean Energy posted:

You can't just say something is an "hour from london" because once you get to london it could take up to an hour more just to get to your place of residence or work
One stop on the Victoria Line.

edit: plus my commute takes an hour to a London station even now.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Spuckuk posted:

I moved from London to Liverpool his year and got a 10% raise in salary because my skillset is harder to find up here. Had a good choice of places to work as well. Better prospects as well.

So I'm going to say you don't know what you're on about.

What industry do you work in? Do you need a visa?

twoot posted:

Any city without 3 Greggs within line of sight is not a real city.

There is a Greggs outside my office. It is disgusting, I don't know what you people see in it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JoylessJester posted:

"Bristol is ok if you avoid St.Paul's Bedminster, Brislington, Easton, Fishpounds, Filton, Frenchay, Hartcliffe, Knowle, Lawrence Hill, Southmead and St.George"- My last Boss.

Bristol is actually great as long as you don't expect to get anywhere quickly.

I'd live in a solid 50-75% of those and most of the rest aren't that bad. I mean loving Bedminster, really? Place is yuppie central, it's about as scary as a puppy.

But yeah the roads in Bristol are terrible that's it's major con.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

There is a Greggs outside my office. It is disgusting, I don't know what you people see in it.

I don't really like it either. It's 2014 they should really be able to keep hot food at edible temperature, rather than either stone cold or mouth-burning stodge.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

twoot posted:

I don't really like it either. It's 2014 they should really be able to keep hot food at edible temperature, rather than either stone cold or mouth-burning stodge.

I think what happens is that when their food has been cooked it is very hot then it immediately begins to cool until eventually it reaches room temperature. That's my understanding of the process anyway.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

mfcrocker posted:

I'd live in a solid 50-75% of those and most of the rest aren't that bad. I mean loving Bedminster, really? Place is yuppie central, it's about as scary as a puppy.

If you're not in BS8 or BS9 you're basically an unperson. You may even have to interact with black people!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Jack the Lad posted:

What happened with BoJo volunteering to get shot by a water cannon?

I really hope this is brought up repeatedly during his election campaign as yet another promise he's broken.

I hope he does run for a seat in London, as I think that might be tougher than he expects. It's one thing to break a load of promises in London and then campaign somewhere far away, but there's a lot of poo poo that could be thrown at him that would have affected his prospective constituents. Hopefully it'll stick.

Aliginge posted:

Leamington Spa was a bit posh for my liking

Nothing compared to Stratford. Upon Avon, if that needs clarifying.

I was back in Leam at the weekend for a mate's party and was shocked that the Spa Centre actually puts on half-decent gigs now. Back in the day it was just battle of the bands, terrible covers bands and computer/train fairs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Cities are poo poo, small-town living is where it's at.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

LemonDrizzle posted:

If you're not in BS8 or BS9 you're basically an unperson. You may even have to interact with black people!

Haha, gently caress Cliftonites. And yeah, I had noticed most of those were places with non-white communities.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like the concept of living in cities more than anywhere else, some are just too much though. Cardiff is pretty much perfect as it has a central area that's pretty good, has got tons of stuff, but doesn't require a day long commitment to go somewhere or do something. I liked it much better when I lived in Riverside, though, as it was a five minute walk to town, it was a hugely diverse area and had loads of cool little halal places etc.

Now I live in the closest Cardiff has to suburbs and it loving sucks.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Cities are poo poo, small-town living is where it's at.

As long as it's not suburbia. Someone I know is moving to Letchworth. I would rather kill myself.
Cities are great, and the wide open countryside is great. (Commuter) towns are poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Malcolm XML posted:

Should we eat cake instead?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Greggs are alright if you catch them early when their stuff is hot. The pro choice if you miss them during the optimal time is a sandwich. The Mexican chicken baguette is rather nice.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Haha, gently caress Cliftonites. And yeah, I had noticed most of those were places with non-white communities.

or students.

The two scariest things to middle aged shop managers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ddraig posted:

Greggs are alright if you catch them early when their stuff is hot. The pro choice if you miss them during the optimal time is a sandwich. The Mexican chicken baguette is rather nice.

I will never forgive Greggs for what they did to their Whopper sandwich.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Greggs sausage rolls are like pink vomit slime in a sock.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

London: the Toronto of Europe.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

tentish klown posted:

As long as it's not suburbia. Someone I know is moving to Letchworth. I would rather kill myself.
Cities are great, and the wide open countryside is great. (Commuter) towns are poo poo.

Letchworth isn't just a commuter town though, it's a garden city designed and built by a quaker. I think they allow places that sell alcohol within the 'city limits' now, but when I was there the only 'bar' was a den of iniquity just outside the city limits, where there were knife fights regularly. You pretty much had to walk to Hitchin if you wanted any kind of entertainment other than what the library could provide.

There was a nice chinese takeaway at the bottom of town though.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

El Scotch posted:

London: the Toronto of Europe.

London is an alpha++ city, Toronto is some kinda beta loser-bumsville.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I am shocked and appalled that not one of you has mentioned one of Britain's newest cities as a London alternative.

The best part is it's only 35 mins from London!

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Once again I feel like the only person in the world who actually likes Middlesbrough.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Once again I feel like the only person in the world who actually likes Middlesbrough.

I love Middlesbrough.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Don't Gregg's still use indentured servants instead of employees?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I love Middlesbrough.

I wouldn't say I loved it, I enjoyed living there, and for the most part felt safe in most places, more so than I've ever felt in southern towns/cities.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

I really hope this is brought up repeatedly during his election campaign as yet another promise he's broken.

I hope he does run for a seat in London, as I think that might be tougher than he expects. It's one thing to break a load of promises in London and then campaign somewhere far away, but there's a lot of poo poo that could be thrown at him that would have affected his prospective constituents. Hopefully it'll stick.

I believe a seat is available the ward of Uxbridge and South Ruislip after Conservative MP Sir John Randall announced he will be stepping down and in neighbouring Hertsmere, Conservative MP James Clappison has also said he will be leaving Westminster. Both are really safe Tory seats mind.
Also worth noting constituents in both campaigned against Heathrow expansion, something BoJo himself opposed whilst running for his second term. Not sure if it was a campaign pledge. The independent report into aviation capacity is rumored to favour Heathrow. Although I don't think the final report is due back before the election.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Britain sold all the pig semen to China so that's why Boris isn't getting hosed down with the cannon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

London is an alpha++ city, Toronto is some kinda beta loser-bumsville.

Who would you prefer to have in charge, BoJo or RoFo? :colbert:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Who would you prefer to have in charge, BoJo or RoFo? :colbert:

Cage match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ultrabindu posted:

I believe a seat is available the ward of Uxbridge and South Ruislip after Conservative MP Sir John Randall announced he will be stepping down and in neighbouring Hertsmere, Conservative MP James Clappison has also said he will be leaving Westminster. Both are really safe Tory seats mind.
Also worth noting constituents in both campaigned against Heathrow expansion, something BoJo himself opposed whilst running for his second term. Not sure if it was a campaign pledge. The independent report into aviation capacity is rumored to favour Heathrow. Although I don't think the final report is due back before the election.

Uxbridge is an odd one for Johnson.
They're very anti-heathrow expansion because they're right under the flight paths. But also a lot of people are employed at the airport or in related business so Johnson's pie-in-the-sky about demolishing heathrow is just about as unpopular as a third runway.

And yeah, the report's not due till after May cos everyone's too scared to touch it.

• Locked thread