Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No because you get Infinity War and Infinity Crusade.

And I take it this is bad because those are bad? Genuinely asking I've never read them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SlothBear posted:

And I take it this is bad because those are bad? Genuinely asking I've never read them before.

If you've got a real hard-on for Infinity Gems stuff War isn't that bad. Crusade is terrible no matter who you are. You really want to be impressed by how lovely Infinity books can be pick up Infinity Abyss.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

But do read Thanos Quest. Only two issues, but they add a lot of depth to the gems and Thanos while putting on a grand style of comics akin to Greek mythology (shut up I like the comparison).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have thoughts on DMZ? Seems like something to go for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I liked the setting, but found the main character completely void of personality. Then again, I don't really care for Brian Wood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone have thoughts on DMZ? Seems like something to go for.

I touched on it in the Vertigo thread, but to me it seemed like kind of a waste of a good premise. It's not entirely without redeeming value I guess, but I bailed after the first 12 issues or so.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

This is what I use coming from a combo of Ipad 3 and NookHD+. It is excellent for comics and the screen size has a noticeable effect. It is also heavy with its case. There is also the ~$100 cheaper Tab 12.2, I got the Note for "cheap" in SA Mart, it comes with a stylus which I have not tried coloring B&W comics with. If your primary use for the tablet is going to be comics then get this or the Surface 3, the screen size increase is completely worth it. It's especially good with larger euro-style comics or anything from an era where the pages were simply larger.

The only thing it made lovely is I bought the Batman 66 run off Comixology without realizing that they are the "guided comics" versions (and there aren't normal ones to buy) and the size of the panels/dead space is grating.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Uthor posted:

I don't know, I think the 9" screen on my Nook HD+ is just fine for reading on. Though, yes, get a tablet with Android or iOS on it unless you are into the whole Amazon ecosystem. It sucks not being able to sideload apps on my locked down on. No Amazon Apps of the Day or Humble Bundle games that I have bought for my phone...

Anyway, TMNT question. I really want to read City Fall and will probably grab the volumes leading up to it. Are any of the micro-series worth the money?

Secret History of the Foot Clan and the Leonardo, Alopex and Bebop/Rocksteady microseries all stand out.

In saying that, there is no *bad* IDW TMNT issue.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another Wednesday with redemption issues. That's like 4 weeks in a row. Fix your poo poo, Marvel!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

Another Wednesday with redemption issues. That's like 4 weeks in a row. Fix your poo poo, Marvel!

Try not doing it on Wednesday. I hardly ever have problems any other day of the week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Boom Studios Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

I bought this but I'm not looking forward to individually downloading each issue and uploading them to my Google Books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does Google Books work okay with comics now? I've tried it before, but was hitting file size limits and errors I couldn't fix by reuploading.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Uthor posted:

Does Google Books work okay with comics now? I've tried it before, but was hitting file size limits and errors I couldn't fix by reuploading.

Only if the file is below 100Mb which is super annoying in the few instances Humble has given a comic where there is no less than 100Mb option.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

100 free Archie comics:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/07/100-free-digital-archie-comics/

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Nova sale with the complete DnA volume and 10 issues of the current volume.

I'm grabbing the DnA issues, not too sure about the newer series though.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Is their app separate like Dark Horse, or Comixology-integrated like DC's?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hup posted:

Is their app separate like Dark Horse, or Comixology-integrated like DC's?

I have no idea. I'm not that interested in Archie, so I didn't go for it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I downloaded the Archie app for Afterlife with Archie (which isn't available on the Archie app, go figure), and it was a standalone deal, no comixology integration.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I downloaded the Archie app for Afterlife with Archie (which isn't available on the Archie app, go figure),

To be fair, I think they are pushing the app as being kid friendly.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology has a 50% off sale on Luna Brothers comics, including a both collected editions and bundle with 60% off but in all honesty the only thing not in a CE from the bundle is The Sword which I took a disliking to pretty much the second they took their disabled protagonist and fixed her pretty much immediately.
Jennifer Blood is also on sale which I enjoyed.

Any particular recommendations from the free Archie comics for a new reader.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The only thing of theirs that I've read is Ultra, which, for a comic staring three super powered women who try to save the world, fails the Bechdel test so hard. I was actively angry at the story the whole time I was reading it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Bendis and Jeff Parkers's Dark Avengers is on sale. How is Parker's Dark Avengers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

God Is Dead has a 74% off bundle.
https://www.comixology.com/God-Is-Dead/page/2916?tid=B140811001_Avatar_God_is_Dead_Sale

How's that? How is it past the point Hickman leaves? Just reading about the recent part where they let Alan Moore insert his snake god stuff in somehow, it sounds like an interesting thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis and Jeff Parkers's Dark Avengers is on sale. How is Parker's Dark Avengers?

It's enjoyable, not great. It kind of reminds me of the latter day X-Factor, where it had a cool cast and some really funny moments, but was still just dragging its feet endlessly with absurd plotlines that make no sense when you think about them.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is Jennifer Blood? I am starting to get into Ennis, around 1/4th into Hitman.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's been a while since I read it but, at least to start, it's like female punisher but she's still keeping up appearances of normality and with a more personal plot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

God Is Dead has a 74% off bundle.
https://www.comixology.com/God-Is-Dead/page/2916?tid=B140811001_Avatar_God_is_Dead_Sale

How's that? How is it past the point Hickman leaves? Just reading about the recent part where they let Alan Moore insert his snake god stuff in somehow, it sounds like an interesting thing.
Starts off okay, gets a bit better after Hickman leaves, then becomes very repetitive after it's clear his plot notes ran out. It also has a lot of gore for gore's sake, it seems. I dropped it after issue 15.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I just found comicbookherald.com and it's a fantastic resource for getting read orders on big Marvel events. He's also gone through Unlimited and found the most iconic story lines they have up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fatale $.99 sale up to the final issue.
https://www.comixology.com/Fatale-Sale/page/3132/?tid=B140814002_Image_Fatale_Sale

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DAaaaaaaaaaamn. Do the Comixology issues include the backmatter?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some issues have a back columns, essays and previews for other comics, but definitely not every issue. No idea if they're all supposed to.

e: I bought 15-24 just now and only 21 and 24 had essays, so according to this list http://criminalcomic.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/30-days-of-fatale-13-reasons-to-buy.html stuff is missing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 15, 2014

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

What should I get from the Judge Dredd sale?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Today's bundle sale is World War Hulk. There is really nothing that I remember being worth a read, as it does not include the start of the Incredible Hercules series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Some issues have a back columns, essays and previews for other comics, but definitely not every issue. No idea if they're all supposed to.

e: I bought 15-24 just now and only 21 and 24 had essays, so according to this list http://criminalcomic.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/30-days-of-fatale-13-reasons-to-buy.html stuff is missing.

Hmmm... I'm debating whether or not I should sell off my complete run of single issues and go digital on it... I do like that backmatter though...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought that Fatale bundle instantly.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
There's a big sale of Dark Horse omnibuses: https://digital.darkhorse.com/genre/171/

How do people rate Dr. McNinja?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

There's a big sale of Dark Horse omnibuses: https://digital.darkhorse.com/genre/171/

In theory it seems like something I should hate but what I've read of it was actually really funny.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shitshow posted:

It's free on the Web to check out. I like it, but it's been doing big long story lines of late and I enjoyed the earlier shorter gag stories better.

Edit: that omnibus is the earliest B&W comics that were originally self-published before it moved to color and Dark Horse started putting out the trades.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. McNinja is really loving funny. Some of the jokes feel a bit dated by now, but for the most part it totally still holds up and the art gradually gets better and better. I'd be hard pressed to recall any funnier comics right now.