Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

Friend has a Galaxy S3 on Sprint and just shattered her screen. What's the best option for repair these days?

It looks like you can pick up a used/new-ish Sprint S3 on ebay for about $100-150.

There are also several videos on YouTube on DIY S3 screen fix. I see S3 glass repair kits on eBay for less than $15.

I don't know what sprint would charge if you brought it in to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jliznel posted:

the note 4 will prob be out in the next 2 months

This or the official Google Play phone are what's currently keeping me from getting an LG G3.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

moolchaba posted:

It looks like you can pick up a used/new-ish Sprint S3 on ebay for about $100-150.

There are also several videos on YouTube on DIY S3 screen fix. I see S3 glass repair kits on eBay for less than $15.

I don't know what sprint would charge if you brought it in to them.

From what I've seen lately, it's better to get the glass with digitizer attached since they are such a pain to pull apart without breaking.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Central PA. I drive down to Maryland pretty often too, and for a good part of the drive the T-Mo data coverage is hot garbage, even on the highways and more populated areas it seems. On the other hand, the coverage map on Sprint's website seemed to show 4G over a pretty good area so I was considering switching, but it sounds from reading the last few pages that their data coverage isn't much better.

Sprint actually expanded LTE coverage in Harrisburg pretty early on, but I would tell you they still aren't great in PA.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Good News Everybody!

I finally found a spot in my place that gets 4G! (And I can plug in a charger!)

Pretty sad I can get excited about such a speed, but when my best home DSL is 1.5Mb/384k, good 3G is almost better. (And it is as far as upload goes). :zoid:

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Does the unlimited my way still require the $10 premium data per line?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint actually expanded LTE coverage in Harrisburg pretty early on, but I would tell you they still aren't great in PA.

Yep, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York, all the Shentel regions basically, have great 4G. Things only really get spotty as you go further west or north.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

In my area, Sprint is temporarily offering a full unlimited plan(minutes, text & data) for $50/line. According to the ad for it, the promo runs til 8/14. My contract ends 3 days later. The promo says it's only for new lines. Hoping a Sprint rep can tell me my chances of being switched to this plan by talking to retention? I don't really want to switch carriers because everyone else's plans are so loving ridiculously expensive, but I would like to take advantage of this plan while I can, if I can.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just called SERO telesales and ordered a Nexus 5 for my upgrade:

code:
Phone and accessory subtotal: $161.98 
Activation/Upgrade fee: $36.00
Estimated shipping: $12.00
Estimated tax: $22.53
Total: $232.51
:smith: Is it too late to call back and ask for some fees to get waived?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Getting a new line deal on a current line? Not gonna happen.

Add a new line to your account with that awesome deal. Port your current Sprint number to {prepaid service, google voice} and pay the miniscule ETF. Then port that number to the new $50 account.

Also, what region are you in? That's a really good deal. Link?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

code:

I'm a little surprised they charged shipping. They aren't going to waive the activation fee though.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

td4guy posted:

Getting a new line deal on a current line? Not gonna happen.

Add a new line to your account with that awesome deal. Port your current Sprint number to {prepaid service, google voice} and pay the miniscule ETF. Then port that number to the new $50 account.

Also, what region are you in? That's a really good deal. Link?

https://www.sprint.com/unlimited50 Minneapolis and Chicago only.

And thanks for the tip. I think I'll try what you suggested. Hell I can add the new lines now, wait til my contract is up then port out with no etf.

Edit: how would this work if I want to keep my current phone? Buy a couple cheap dumbphones to activate on the current lines, then reactivate existing devices on the new lines when ready to port?

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 1, 2014

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Apparently I just bought my parents new iPhones for the grand total of $49.99 plus tax and activation. I still don't entirely understand how. My mom still has over a year to go on her contract, but was eligible for 2-year contract upgrade pricing, which gave her an iPhone 5s for free. The same phone on my dad's line with 2-year pricing was something like $199. Ended up getting him a 5c for $49 instead.

I could have also added an iPad Mini for $49 as part of a separate promotion, which was tempting, but not needed. When I checked out, the website said my instant savings was $1149.99.

Okay, then.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

brc64 posted:

Apparently I just bought my parents new iPhones for the grand total of $49.99 plus tax and activation. I still don't entirely understand how. My mom still has over a year to go on her contract, but was eligible for 2-year contract upgrade pricing, which gave her an iPhone 5s for free. The same phone on my dad's line with 2-year pricing was something like $199. Ended up getting him a 5c for $49 instead.

I could have also added an iPad Mini for $49 as part of a separate promotion, which was tempting, but not needed. When I checked out, the website said my instant savings was $1149.99.

Okay, then.

They were sending out offers for free 5S' with 2 year upgrade to targeted customers. I guess your parents were some of them.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Biodome posted:

They were sending out offers for free 5S' with 2 year upgrade to targeted customers. I guess your parents were some of them.

I guess? It's just weird that the offer was exclusively tied to her phone number, and not any of the other lines on the same account. But whatever, it all worked out in the end. I'm also not sure why she was eligible for an upgrade when her contract isn't up until September 2015, but I'm not going to argue about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm going to the UK on Wednesday for 11 days. What kind of adapter to I need to plug in my charger?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So I'm going to the UK on Wednesday for 11 days. What kind of adapter to I need to plug in my charger?

Basically just something with a UK plug. Your charger will handle the voltage conversion just fine (look the plug, it should say something like Input 100-240V). So you shouldn't need a converter that converts voltage for that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is my sprint iphone5 useable on AT&T? An AT&T rep told me that I can bring it over as long as it has a sim card. THis sounds like bullshit, but I'm not sure and googling only leads to older stuff and unlocking.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Cacafuego posted:

Is my sprint iphone5 useable on AT&T? An AT&T rep told me that I can bring it over as long as it has a sim card. THis sounds like bullshit, but I'm not sure and googling only leads to older stuff and unlocking.
It's likely not unlockable. I'm pretty sure only the 5s/5c came unlocked by default. You will have pretty much zero chance of Sprint allowing an unlock for domestic competitors (as opposed to international).

And a Sprint iPhone wouldn't support AT&T's LTE bands.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Getimmaaw posted:

Does the unlimited my way still require the $10 premium data per line?

I also wonder about this. Is it always going to be present on every plan? (framily etc)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

It's likely not unlockable. I'm pretty sure only the 5s/5c came unlocked by default. You will have pretty much zero chance of Sprint allowing an unlock for domestic competitors (as opposed to international).

And a Sprint iPhone wouldn't support AT&T's LTE bands.

The 5S and 5C would, but Sprint won't unlock them either.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

code:

What's the phone number for SERO telesales? I've always used the website for past SERO upgrades, but I have one coming up soon. Also, what fees if any are they typically willing to waive? Shipping?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blakkout posted:

What's the phone number for SERO telesales? I've always used the website for past SERO upgrades, but I have one coming up soon. Also, what fees if any are they typically willing to waive? Shipping?

Phone number I called is at the top of the OP.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It already got posted in the TMo thread, buuuut Sprint is giving up on buying TMo, and they're giving Hesse the boot at the same time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Soon, Softbank will sell Sprint at a significant loss, and within five years, Sprint will be purchased by Metro PCS.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone familiar with the carrier options in the UK? Who's the best deal to use my new Nexus while I'm there for 10 days?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Anyone familiar with the carrier options in the UK? Who's the best deal to use my new Nexus while I'm there for 10 days?

A lot of it probably depends on where you'll be, but I bought a prepaid SIM from EE while I was in and around London that gave me something crazy like 10 GB of 4G data with the promos they were running at the time. However, if you're looking to use a foreign SIM card in your Sprint phone, you'll need to call Sprint and ask them to unlock it before you leave. If you're leaving soon, I'd recommend you call now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

brc64 posted:

A lot of it probably depends on where you'll be, but I bought a prepaid SIM from EE while I was in and around London that gave me something crazy like 10 GB of 4G data with the promos they were running at the time. However, if you're looking to use a foreign SIM card in your Sprint phone, you'll need to call Sprint and ask them to unlock it before you leave. If you're leaving soon, I'd recommend you call now.

It's a Nexus 5, and I'll be in Glasgow.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

It already got posted in the TMo thread, buuuut Sprint is giving up on buying TMo, and they're giving Hesse the boot at the same time.

I just saw this, this morning. Why in the heck did they pull out? Isn't that a $1B loss right there? And I thought things were promising this time?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I just saw this, this morning. Why in the heck did they pull out? Isn't that a $1B loss right there? And I thought things were promising this time?

There was no official proposal so no breakup fee.

And no, the FCC was pretty saying they would shoot it down from the start. Because of how well T-Mobile has done since ATT tried to buy that company the FCC feels 4 carriers is a good idea.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, at the rate Sprint is going, we might end up with just three anyway! :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
So will we e-mail marcelo @ sprint.com with complaints now?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

There was no official proposal so no breakup fee.

And no, the FCC was pretty saying they would shoot it down from the start. Because of how well T-Mobile has done since ATT tried to buy that company the FCC feels 4 carriers is a good idea.

Dammit. Well I finally have 4G at my home and work and am loving it, so I am with Sprint for the long haul either way, but man I hate the FCC and its horrible practice helping Verizon/ATT for every drat thing that helps them become a Monopoly.

Wave says it will cost ME $13K to get whatever they offer to my place. I can see the drat pole that it is on, and I have offered to trench it from my place to the drat pole, but they don't care to work with me on it. Forever I will be like 1000ft away from anything better than 1.5Mbit DSL for home use. :argh:

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit. Well I finally have 4G at my home and work and am loving it, so I am with Sprint for the long haul either way, but man I hate the FCC and its horrible practice helping Verizon/ATT for every drat thing that helps them become a Monopoly.

I hate the FCC as well, but I doubt Sprint was going to be very 'un-carrier' post merger - they have been acting more and more like VZW/AT&T as of late, and there has already been enough consolidation in the wireless side of things. T-Mobile has other offers for buyouts, and with the Softbank money Sprint should be able to finish NetworkVision/Spark as well as hopefully get more towers - especially in rural areas where they are weak.

Next up for the FCC/Justice Dept - blocking Time Warner/Comcast....

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Wilford Cutlery posted:

code:

drat, so if I spend $100 more, I pretty much stay out of contract?.

If I'm still on sero 4G, I need to call telesales and have them switch me over to sero LTE right? Also if I just buy the N5 from google, I tell sprint to send me a sim card as well or do I need to go to a store?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CheeseSpawn posted:

The Nexus 5 is currently $99 through Sprint with a two-year upgrade, while it is $349 from Google. Google charges about the same amount of shipping and tax, so all you'd be saving is the $36 activation fee (and your upgrade/contract).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

CheeseSpawn posted:

If I'm still on sero 4G, I need to call telesales and have them switch me over to sero LTE right? Also if I just buy the N5 from google, I tell sprint to send me a sim card as well or do I need to go to a store?
Get the SIM card first. You can call in and have them send you one, or go to a store. Once you have the SIM card in-hand, then call the SERO number in the OP and have them switch the plan code from WiMAX to LTE.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, at the rate Sprint is going, we might end up with just three anyway! :v:

I know I'm fed up with their bullshit. Come October when my contract is up, you can bet your rear end I'm headed to Verizon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Having trouble pulling up the map - I assume so, but figured I'd ask - Does Sprint have LTE in Boston and surrounding area (Milford, MA specifically)? Booking a trip for a cousin's wedding and am hoping I can get away with PDAnet tethering for my laptop rather than pay the ridiculous hotel wifi fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Medullah posted:

Having trouble pulling up the map - I assume so, but figured I'd ask - Does Sprint have LTE in Boston and surrounding area (Milford, MA specifically)? Booking a trip for a cousin's wedding and am hoping I can get away with PDAnet tethering for my laptop rather than pay the ridiculous hotel wifi fees.

Boston was one of the few areas I had great Sprint data service - Milford should be OK, especially if you have a Spark phone....lots of upgraded towers across Eastern Mass.