Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Aggressive Mining is practically begging us to build a deck around it that breaks it- as already mentioned, there's basically no existing archetype where you wouldn't rather just have Chandra. Hopefully we see some interesting things in the next block that synergize with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Hopefully we see some interesting things in the next block that synergize with it.

Lands-in-graveyard-matter theme confirmed for Tarkir. Fetch reprints confirmed for Tarkir.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Lands-in-graveyard-matter theme confirmed for Tarkir. Fetch reprints confirmed for Tarkir.

Mudhole to be reprinted as the ultimate hoser.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ob Nixilis printed in M15 as a fetchland punisher :psyduck:

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Realtalk 2-drop goblin planeswalker:

Gobbo, Cowardly Goblin Burnmeister RR

+1: Deal 1 damage to target player.

-2: Put 2 1/1 Goblin creature tokens into play.

-4: Put an emblem into play with "Creatures you control gain haste. Whenever a creature you control attacks, deal 1 damage to target creature or player."

2 loyalty

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Aggressive Mining is practically begging us to build a deck around it that breaks it- as already mentioned, there's basically no existing archetype where you wouldn't rather just have Chandra. Hopefully we see some interesting things in the next block that synergize with it.

Chasm Skulker and Riptide Chimera both work reasonably nicely with it, check the brewhaus where I posted my list.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sega 32X posted:

Realtalk 2-drop goblin planeswalker:

Gobbo, Cowardly Goblin Burnmeister RR

+1: Deal 1 damage to target player.

-2: Put 2 1/1 Goblin creature tokens into play.

-4: Put an emblem into play with "Creatures you control gain haste. Whenever a creature you control attacks, deal 1 damage to target creature or player."

2 loyalty

As a turn 4 Fervor with massive upside, this card seems quite good.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Reprint Terravore.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

Reprint Terravore.

Might as well reprint all the Goyfs at that point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Especially Tarmogoyf.

At Uncommon :unsmigghh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Life From the Loam + Seismic Assault recurring Dakmore Salvage by dredging.

Can swans be in the deck because I love do kill lands and draw cards.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Can swans be in the deck because I love do kill lands and draw cards.

I'm a little bit surprised that Seismic Swans isn't a more popular deck. I mean the colour requirements are pretty bad (RRR on turn three, 2UU on turn four), but it seems like it's at least a little bit more resilient than Twin since you aren't vulnerable to damage-based removal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that Aggressive Mining costs 4 mana to play. The drawback of "you can't play lands" combined with a 4 CMC is sufficient to make it unplayable. It would only be good in a corner case where you drew a very specific set of cards, e.g. your first four cards were burn spells, aggressive mining, and every other draw had just been more land and nothing else.

Why is the 4 CMC an issue? The thing with Aggressive Mining is that it's a 4-drop you never want to play on turn 4. It's basically a late game draw spell that you play when you're at 6-8 lands and just need more gas.

Imagine a 3R sorcery that says "Sacrifice two lands and draw four cards. You can't play lands now." That's basically what Aggressive mining is. It's actually decent as the one 6 or 7-drop you throw in your Limited deck.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Is Chord of Calling going to drop lower than $10? Or should I pick them up now?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Why is the 4 CMC an issue? The thing with Aggressive Mining is that it's a 4-drop you never want to play on turn 4. It's basically a late game draw spell that you play when you're at 6-8 lands and just need more gas.

Imagine a 3R sorcery that says "Sacrifice two lands and draw four cards. You can't play lands now." That's basically what Aggressive mining is. It's actually decent as the one 6 or 7-drop you throw in your Limited deck.

It's not so great, but you can still use DRS to get some mana out of those excess lands in addition to the card draw for the time being.

Now I'm thinking about RB burn with aggressive mining for the rest of superstandard, but it's such a dumb idea.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They haven't really found a home in Standard yet and they'll probably go up when they do, plus they'll always be a modern staple, so yeah, now is probably the time to grab them. At most the might drop a couple more bucks as people keep opening them if there's no big Standard deck, but mono-green is already trying them out to some success.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LanceKing2200 posted:

It'll go up if someone finds a deck for it. If there's no competitive deck for it in Standard it'll probably dip a bit lower. That's kind of risky though, if you want them you probably won't be unhappy with buying now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think people would rate Aggressive Mining a lot higher if it wasn't a rare.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So...is Generator Servant into a hasty t4 Inferno Titan good enough for Modern? Could there be a Big Red build in Modern? I mean, Six damage spread as you like plus combat damage seems pretty nice t4, but you're just asking to get a Doomblade, and there is no bigger warning sign than seeing a Generator Servant.

I really don't know if/how this can work.

Edit: In fact, Generator Servant into any of the Titans could be a bit nutty, since GS into Sun Titan gets your Servant back, and a big swing, while GS into Primeval means you jump up by 4 lands.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Veyrall posted:

So...is Generator Servant into a hasty t4 Inferno Titan good enough for Modern? Could there be a Big Red build in Modern? I mean, Six damage spread as you like plus combat damage seems pretty nice t4, but you're just asking to get a Doomblade, and there is no bigger warning sign than seeing a Generator Servant.

I really don't know if/how this can work.

Probably not, if only because you're probably never casting Inferno Titan unless you untap with Generator Servant, which probably won't happen very much once they catch on to your plan. Who knows though, it sounds like a pretty sweet thing to pull off.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm a little bit surprised that Seismic Swans isn't a more popular deck. I mean the colour requirements are pretty bad (RRR on turn three, 2UU on turn four), but it seems like it's at least a little bit more resilient than Twin since you aren't vulnerable to damage-based removal.

I'm really not, because it lost a lot when BBE got banned. I mean you can use the other cascade 4 drops, but they just aren't that great.

Either way its a deck I always mess around with on cockatrice and similar, because I'm a Johnny and that deck is fun and weird.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I'm thinking a RG shell, so that, if they kill your Servant, that's one less kill spell for the Primeval after him, while you also have BoP and Elves to accelerate you, but then maybe going straight ramp might be better? Wrath effects are obviously your worst enemy, but man-lands can help with those, especially with Primeval grabbing a ton of them for you.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I want to play a deck with flagstones of troikar and Aggressive mining. Throw in Knight of the Reliquary, Loam, Crucible, Pridemage and so on. Throw in the dark depths even.

E: Aw man, manabond would probably circumvent the restriction. Alright gonna brew this deck. Life from the Mine... or Mine from the Loam.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Edit: nvm

qbert fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

LanceKing2200 posted:

It is safe to get them now...we will have a new set that will be getting drafted in a month and a half, so the number being opened per month will go down at that time. At the same time we will see a lot rotate and MonoG I think will be in a GREAT place and see these popping up in decks.

If it goes down I don't think it will go down more than $1-2, so it isn't like you will be losing $20 moving now. If it does find a good home and makes an appearance in a competitive deck though it could end up costing you more than $20.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

I doubt it. People seem to forget that every land you draw after playing the card is just dead in your hand, so you're not even getting full gas out of the lands you sacrifice.

I'd love to witness the scenarios where someone draws like 4 lands in a row, then 4-drops they can no longer cast, essentially just killing themselves

There's always Rummaging Goblin.

I just meant that because it's a rare people are more likely to think of it as some sort of combo piece to be broken or something, when really it's just a mediocre-but-still-pretty playable end-game draw spell for your R/x limited deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Aggressive mining sorta kinda not really synergizes with Phantatog

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah why not just play Quasali pridemage

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I may have to pull this to the deckbuilding thread, but a hilarious interaction is that Generator Servant sacked into Sun Titan lets you get back that Servant, attack with the Titan, and get something else from the grave.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Veyrall posted:

I may have to pull this to the deckbuilding thread, but a hilarious interaction is that Generator Servant sacked into Sun Titan lets you get back that Servant, attack with the Titan, and get something else from the grave.

Thats pretty funny and brings back fond memories of solar flare.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also I want to play a deck with flagstones of troikar and Aggressive mining. Throw in Knight of the Reliquary, Loam, Crucible, Pridemage and so on. Throw in the dark depths even.

E: Aw man, manabond would probably circumvent the restriction. Alright gonna brew this deck. Life from the Mine... or Mine from the Loam.

Now I'm wondering if maybe Aggressive Mining could fit in Legacy Lands.dec, although based off of what little I know about that deck I'm not sure it needs more CA tools.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yeah why not just play Quasali pridemage

Gold frames were the only frames I considered unambiguously better looking after the change. And it took a few sets before we actually saw them iirc.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I think I'm correct in saying Genju of the Spires was the first modern border gold card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

frameset posted:

I think I'm correct in saying Genju of the Spires was the first modern border gold card.

I think you actually mean Genju of the Realm and I think that's correct.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If you guys aren't sick of it yet, here's a minor update on legal stuff between Hex and Magic. The main thing to take away from this document is that Wizards isn't trying to claim that mechanics were stolen but instead saying that Magic in its entirety was taken and repurposed with the intent of making profit.

I don't know, they can definitely make that claim, but it might be stepping too far over as there are a significant amount of differences between the two games. Note that this document was made specifically in response to Cryptozic's dismissal.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 6, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

If you guys aren't sick of it yet, here's a minor update on legal stuff between Hex and Magic. The main thing to take away from this document is that Wizards isn't trying to claim that mechanics were stolen but instead saying that Magic in its entirety was taken and repurposed with the intent of making profit.

I don't know, they can definitely make that claim, but it might be stepping too far over as there are a significant amount of differences between the two games. Note that this document was made specifically in response to Cryptozic.

There's sort of a weird incompetence theme going on with Wizards' argument, especially as someone "in the know" with MTGO. At this point, it seems like they're arguing that Cryptozoic are somehow so massively incompetent that they ripped off MTGO and its cards to make Hex, but didn't leave a paper trail proving otherwise. I guess they're trying to argue that Cryptozoic must have cheated their way to their design decisions, since it will be very difficult to field a properly informed jury :sigh:

Also, I didn't see anyone mention it, but Spectral Lotus isn't even a ripoff of Black Lotus! It's way more like this stupid card than it is the OG black lotus, even if it doesn't add the fourth mana.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ramos posted:

I don't know, they can definitely make that claim, but it might be stepping too far over as there are a significant amount of differences between the two games. Note that this document was made specifically in response to Cryptozic.

I remember when I was a kid, during an American History unit about the Revolutionary War, our class wrote out our own Declaration in response to what we perceived as slavery-level homework assignments, lack of free time, etc. The authors tried making it sound all official and eloquent and present our grievances in a coherent, logical form. It came out sounding childish, bitchy, and laughably terrible. We got into quite a bit of trouble over some language that was edited after the fact by the two organizers.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if they're in the right here or if Hex DID directly copy some code or something, but the thing you linked doesn't read like any other legal document I've ever seen. It reminds me painfully of that Declaration we wrote against homework as children.

quote:

"So identical are the Hex cards to the official Magic playing cards, both in their printed
and electronic states, that reviewers have stated that “Hex is not like Magic, Hex is Magic”. Yet,
because their copying is so pervasive, they seek the Court’s assistance to limit or dismiss
Wizards’ lawful claims of copying."

That just doesn't read like a formal, legal document being presented to a judge. In section I.C., they even say:

quote:

Nonetheless and without admitting any deficiency, plaintiff has filed, as a matter of right,
an Amended Complaint that asserts in greater detail both a known sale to a Washington citizen
residing within the Western District and, upon information and belief, the further sales to other
forum residents.

That sounds a lot like, "We're not admitting the defendant was right, but we're now providing exactly what they said we didn't provide in the first place."

My point being, I guess, gently caress the current interpretation and enforcement of US Copyright Law.

EDIT: I tried going back to save a copy and it appears to be hosed up now :ohdear:

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 6, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Holy poo poo, we've gotten so goony about this stupid lawsuit that people are nitpicking the language of the suit :psyduck:.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Which lawyer is using strictly better language though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Which lawyer is using strictly better language though?

Neither is using glorious nihongo. :reject:

edit: https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/10864942

Also, there's a permanently working link.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread