Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The HWK has 2 agility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
HWK has 2 agility, not 1. Overall it's a bit more fragile than a Y-Wing, but not by that much. I think loading it up with too many upgrades is a big mistake though, for the same reason that loading up a Y-Wing is. Roark + Ion Turret is pretty cheap and you trade a small amount of durability and the worse dial for his ability. I don't think I could justify the full Kyle Focus battery build though, 31 points is just too much.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm still mostly a fan of Jan Ors, if you're going to be that expensive. Jan's special (especially in a world with Green Squadron A-Wings, Wedge & Predator/Outmaneuver existing) is just way, way too useful, moreso than handing out a Focus.

Jan Ors (31)
HWK-290 (25), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Nien Nunb (1)

But even that feels expensive as a Support ship at 31 points, but at least she gets to keep her Focus for defending herself, instead. Roark is good too for the same reason; He's a true support vessel whose special is always useful. I think Kyle as a Focus Battery is probably the least useful of the three, actually.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 4, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4970

Well then :stare:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, that's... that's a hell of a thing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Maybe I'm just bad at the game or don't run enough large ships, but I'm not seeing why this is so good.

You get an attack for taking a loss of action and a hit roll on your ship, but in a very limited situation.

I haven't played with a Falcon however, which it seems like this card is made for.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's a totally new way to play the game. Before, everyone assumed you would not want to land on an asteroid, or fire through one. Now you can do both for 2 points. Hiding your HWK, for example, behind an asteroid, and firing out won't be too bad. It's obviously better for a 2400 with an HLC, or a B-Wing w/ crew upgrade and HLC, but it's a new option.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm much more interested in the "all attacks are unobstructed" than I am in the "you can attack while on an asteroid" aspect.

Overall it looks like a pretty sweet crew card.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If we're going by the excellent LP of Shadows of the Empire that was done recently. Dash accomplishes this by just leaning out of the window of the Outrider and shooting with his blaster pistol at everything. :allears:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If we're going by the excellent LP of Shadows of the Empire that was done recently. Dash accomplishes this by just leaning out of the window of the Outrider and shooting with his blaster pistol at everything. :allears:

Works for me.

So who gives up a seat for Dash on the Falcon? Gunner/Luke? Chewie/C-3PO? Rosa Parks/Claudette Colvin? I wanna say if I'm flying Han, I keep the offensive capability and use asteroids for cover.

Not that I'm in any way capable of flying the Millennium Falcon in any way that would make that feasible.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I fuckin love the official forums

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Works for me.

So who gives up a seat for Dash on the Falcon? Gunner/Luke? Chewie/C-3PO? Rosa Parks/Claudette Colvin? I wanna say if I'm flying Han, I keep the offensive capability and use asteroids for cover.

Not that I'm in any way capable of flying the Millennium Falcon in any way that would make that feasible.

You dont. You need luke/gunner for dealing with phantoms or other things that you need to break dice curves on and C-3PO free evade every turn is way way better than being able to shoot through and when you are on an asteroid.

Its a very situational card and it has so much competition from better pilot cards. I seriously doubt it will see much tournament play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah. It seems like a pair of training wheels for people who are getting used to navigating around asteroids. It's solving a (skill) problem that really isn't there. Even the b-wing example they used can be solved with proper turn planning and position.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TouchToneDialing posted:

You dont. You need luke/gunner for dealing with phantoms or other things that you need to break dice curves on and C-3PO free evade every turn is way way better than being able to shoot through and when you are on an asteroid.

Its a very situational card and it has so much competition from better pilot cards. I seriously doubt it will see much tournament play.

Well it's primary competition are actually other 2 point crew upgrades, and I can't really think of one that is any less situational than Dash. Yeah if I can afford 3PO I'm getting 3PO, but you can't always afford that one extra point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dash just seems entirely too situational to make it worth. I still can't wait to get my hands on an outrider though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dash seems like he'd have some good utility for driving a big ship through an asteroid field and giving absolutely no fucks about where you end up. It's a good way to force TIE swarms to break up and go after you, but I can't think of any real meta reasons to want to do that in any other situation.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

After all the C-3PO hype in this thread and a desire to turn traitor and try a Han/Corran list I checked eBay and lo and behold everywhere is sold out. Urrrrgh.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I just bought Corran through Amazon just fine. If you don't mind going through them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I just bought Corran through Amazon just fine. If you don't mind going through them.

No, not Corran the C-3PO card. I really don't want to buy a Tantive just for 1 card. Sorry I should have been clearer in my first post.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wouldn't even know what a fair price for C3po would be. There's a guy who sells corvettes on eBay for only $50. But, we all know it's only good for the C3PO card and good luck finding someone who doesn't want theirs.

See if someone would buy a Tantive model for $20-30?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just ran a couple of demo games for X-Wing at the local club and got to try out Troll!Vader for shiggles (Vader + Engine upgrade, season the rest to your liking - I went with cluster missiles). At PS9, with both boost and barrel roll available AND two actions per turn, dude is slick as oiled soap. Lord Vader has no interest in remaining in your firing cone, indeed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, not Corran the C-3PO card. I really don't want to buy a Tantive just for 1 card. Sorry I should have been clearer in my first post.

Here you go

Find a decent card stock and print+sleeve it. Noone will notice/care

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Drake_263 posted:

So I just ran a couple of demo games for X-Wing at the local club and got to try out Troll!Vader for shiggles (Vader + Engine upgrade, season the rest to your liking - I went with cluster missiles). At PS9, with both boost and barrel roll available AND two actions per turn, dude is slick as oiled soap. Lord Vader has no interest in remaining in your firing cone, indeed.

This is the reason Soontir Fel with Push the Limit is probably the most infuriating thing in the game to try and shoot at. Boost + barrel roll, free focus for stressing himself, combined with the orgasmic bliss that is the TIE Interceptor dial.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've always loved Turr Phennir's mini PTL, getting to boost/barrel roll to line up a shot then barrel rolling/boosting out of return fire arcs is glorious when you pull it off consistently.

Also Spacegoat is a standup bro, shipped me two cores and a Bomber and B-Wing out of the blue. Used it so far to snag 3 other dudes into playing. Team games where guys control individual ships and confer on tactics is surprisingly fun.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

This list is the absolute own zone. I still need to get a ton of games in to get a better feel for Echo maneuvering but even with relatively low Echo experience I was able to clean house.

Echo w/ VI, FCS, Adv. Cloaking
Howlrunner w/ Stealth Device
Black Squadron Pilot x3

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Team games where guys control individual ships and confer on tactics is surprisingly fun.

This right here, I love playing big multiplayer games. I'm trying to arrange with a few other guys who play in my area to do a stupid, gimmicky large-scale reeactment of the Hoth evacuation, using two Tantives protecting an pair of Rebel Transports. It gives me a reason to actually field both ships (which have not seen the table at all so far).

Dunkelgelb
Apr 19, 2012
edit: I'm a dumb, have too many tabs open, posted in wrong thread

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

This with Han Solo on the Millenium Falcon.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
That's far too much Roguish Smuggler for one ship.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Having basically played a couple of games with the launch ships, it kiiind of sounds like the game is turning into a bit of a mess of overpowered gimmick builds from what you guys are saying?

I was considering grabbing some stuff of my own to join in, but i'm worried about the meta a little I guess?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Every game has some builds more powerful than others, or builds that directly counter certain others. This new copilot everyone's talking about has sole solid potential to break the backs of TIE swarms which have always been a strong list.

Just grab the ships you think are cool and dive on in, you'll quickly discover some combos and lists that you enjoy playing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You only really need to worry about it at the Tournament level and even with the original release there were set builds: the new releases actually opened the meta in my opinion. If you are playing casually, you shouldn't really worry about it and unless you make a really gimmicky build there's a lot of stuff that is pretty viable.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Leo Showers posted:

This with Han Solo on the Millenium Falcon.

I would LOVE to see Dash on a Falcon compared to Gunner, personally. Not getting an extra evade from being behind an asteroid < enemy taking extra shots each turn.

ShineDog posted:

Having basically played a couple of games with the launch ships, it kiiind of sounds like the game is turning into a bit of a mess of overpowered gimmick builds from what you guys are saying?

I was considering grabbing some stuff of my own to join in, but i'm worried about the meta a little I guess?

There's only a couple ships that are generally bad (TIE Advanced being the biggest loser), almost anything can work. There's always gonna be some "best" lists in any game with any customization, but a huge part of the game is knowing your ships and playing well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Gate posted:

There's only a couple ships that are generally bad (TIE Advanced being the biggest loser), almost anything can work. There's always gonna be some "best" lists in any game with any customization, but a huge part of the game is knowing your ships and playing well.
Truth. I managed to get my big falcon and Z's to win against an 8-tie swarm last night by being patient and making the opponent go through the asteroid field. Took potshots when I could and whittled them down from range 3 with the help of some asteroid collisions.

Even when a list normally is supposed to beat another list, there are critical turns in the game that can decide the winner 10 turns down the line purely due to placement and no dice involvement. It takes 2-3 turns to recover from a mistake either with k-turns or double hard turns but a lot of times by then the offending ship has been destroyed.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ShineDog posted:

It's based more on the skill of the person playing the list than the list itself. Right now is the best time to jump in, there are tons of options!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Chill la Chill posted:

Truth. I managed to get my big falcon and Z's to win against an 8-tie swarm last night by being patient and making the opponent go through the asteroid field. Took potshots when I could and whittled them down from range 3 with the help of some asteroid collisions.

Even when a list normally is supposed to beat another list, there are critical turns in the game that can decide the winner 10 turns down the line purely due to placement and no dice involvement. It takes 2-3 turns to recover from a mistake either with k-turns or double hard turns but a lot of times by then the offending ship has been destroyed.

I die a little every time I see someone joust a TIE swarm.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Forgive me if this has been answered (I'm working my way through the thread, up to p25 at the moment) but is there a go-to UK company for printing a vinyl mat that doesn't cost a fortune?

VVV Website is playing up at the moment, but that sounds just the ticket.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 6, 2014

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Forgive me if this has been answered (I'm working my way through the thread, up to p25 at the moment) but is there a go-to UK company for printing a vinyl mat that doesn't cost a fortune?

I used https://www.printandroid.co.uk to do a 4ft x 3ft playmat - £20 with free delivery, (£16 for a 3x3). Just grab a decent space image online (http://hubblesite.org/gallery/), edit to suit and upload. End result was pretty good, decent to play on and a bargain compared to some of the mats available.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I actually prefer felt mats. Unless you weigh down your ship templates with washers or sticky matting like you use in your kitchen cupboards the plastic really tends to slide around and make accurate maneuvers a pain in the rear end, and bumping even more so. Sometimes even worse than using a regular table surface. Felt mats snag edges every once in a while, but I consider that minor annoyance well worth being able to play the game without resorting to essentially guesswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Spamius posted:

I used https://www.printandroid.co.uk to do a 4ft x 3ft playmat - £20 with free delivery, (£16 for a 3x3). Just grab a decent space image online (http://hubblesite.org/gallery/), edit to suit and upload. End result was pretty good, decent to play on and a bargain compared to some of the mats available.

I'm probably being retarded, but what option did you choose? The only vinyl I can see is on their banner page, which doesn't seem to do 3x3 or 4x3. Will they do custom sizes if I ask?

Strobe posted:

I actually prefer felt mats. Unless you weigh down your ship templates with washers or sticky matting like you use in your kitchen cupboards the plastic really tends to slide around and make accurate maneuvers a pain in the rear end, and bumping even more so. Sometimes even worse than using a regular table surface. Felt mats snag edges every once in a while, but I consider that minor annoyance well worth being able to play the game without resorting to essentially guesswork.

I'm open to felt mats too, if they can be found for a decent price and if the image is of a good quality.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread