Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

I keep clicking the "Program" button and it doesn't switch!? :confused:

E: Where is the F'n program button on that 8 track? I don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because me and the gf after the wedding are looking to buy a chunk of land (6 acres), I have a strong reason to buy a tractor.

A John Deere 6030 is apparently "to big" according to her, and even the 4020 is awfully large as well. What is this.... Tractor Sanity?

Edit: I really do want a tractor right noe but absolutely have no use for it for at least a year.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Because me and the gf after the wedding are looking to buy a chunk of land (6 acres), I have a strong reason to buy a tractor.

A John Deere 6030 is apparently "to big" according to her, and even the 4020 is awfully large as well. What is this.... Tractor Sanity?

Edit: I really do want a tractor right noe but absolutely have no use for it for at least a year.

The AI thing to do would be to buy an imported Lamborghini tractor :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

The AI thing to do would be to buy an imported Lamborghini tractor :getin:

That's a funny way to spell Porsche.

Of course, my grandfather is probably rolling in his grave since I didn't say "Massey-Ferguson".

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lamborghini tractor or bust

"So AGRESSIVE"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What you need is a ford DOE

want to turn your 2wd tractor into a 4wd? remove the front axle and bolt a whole nother tractor to it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When does it spontaneously catch fire though? :v:

The only reason I'm going green paint is they have one of the best diesels. But I think when it comes time, see where I am at cash wise, and most likely end up going to a Kubota. They really seem to make a tough tractor for pennies compared to Deere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's more going to be a hobby than a living, get something classic. What's the US equivalent to a Fergie?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I think I had the worst job interview ever today. First of all it took me 45 mins to get there, and the interview only lasted like 15 mins if that. And then the actual interview. I get there and the guy interviewing me looks and sounds like Christopher Walken, and I hosed up answering a few questions just cause I couldn't understand him. It's for a valet position for some ritzy hotels, (I think including the actual Ritz) at Disney, and it's going to be a miracle if I get it. I need a job, but I'm won't be too torn if I don't get this one.

On the plus side, he did rip into my old boss. :v: I'm coming from another valet company that's running itself into the ground, and once I mentioned it all he had to ask was how they made any money. Short answer, they didn't. Nor did I. It's why I'm looking for a new job.

(PS if you're in the Orlando area don't use VIP Valet. They're terrible.)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Make yourself one of these

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Unless you're farming serious acreage, those things are way too big. Dad had a 4300 and it had/did everything we needed it to in a 25 acre place... no farming stuff, but dig/pull/mow/just sit on an make cool rumbling noises.

But absolutely get one, they're very handy and you'll want a separate garage for all the attachments you'll want.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

Get on that old carbon Trek you've got hanging in the garage. Set of tires and tubes and some lube and you'll be all set.

The frame is way. way too big for me - even with the seat all the way down, I pretty much hyperextend my legs to pedal it (the guy I got it from was 6'2", but it was literally free on Freecycle). Plus I really don't like road bikes in general - I much prefer something that can handle a bump or two. Not an all out mountain bike, but something I can take on dirt trails would be nice. I don't like riding on pavement.

The Trek does have newish tires and tubes though.

Rhyno posted:

We got to the end of our Comcast contract for just internet service. My girlfriend's new job scored us a hookup so we got to keep the same speed and get cable for $5 cheaper than our original rate.

I HAVE THE FOOD NETWORK.

I signed up for Verizon FiOS for the internet. 50/25 to be exact.
Then I noticed that it would only be another :10bux: to add their low end HD package.
Then I noticed it would be only another :10bux: to add their mid level HD package.
Then I noticed it would only be another :20bux: to get a DVR
Then another :10bux: for the living room TV
Then they mentioned it would save me :10bux: to add a home phone. The only thing plugged into it is a fax modem.
Then they offered me a speed upgrade (from 50/25 to 75/85) plus HBO for :10bux:
Then they roll out these "awesome new cable boxes with a whole house 1TB DVR!"... hidden in the fine print is that the DVR itself no longer qualifies as a cable box (previously, the DVR also doubled as a set top box), you have to pay :10bux: + :20bux: to use the DVR and cable box functionality. THEY'RE IN THE SAME loving BOX. Don't pay the :20bux:? They turn off the HDD in it. They also lock up constantly, and you're limited to 6 streams in the house that pixelate constantly thanks to the 90s coax and 50 splitters over the years and having 1 tuner server for the whole house and did I mention they always lock up?

And heaven help you if the power even flickers just slightly - every single cable box locks up and needs to be power cycled.. in a very specific order. First all of them have to be unplugged. Then you plug in the main media server and let it power up (about 5 minutes). THEN you can start powering up the others. It's only that way if it flickers; if it goes out, then comes back on, they come back up on their own.... usually.

Then my bill is suddenly more than my car payment.

Snagged a HDHomeRun Prime awhile back, plus a cable card. Tried it a few months. Then meatpimp sold me his spare HDHomerun Prime awhile back, and I finally got around to hooking it up a few days ago - so I'm up to 6 ethernet-based tuners. The only TV in the house that's still on a cable box is the ancient 36" CRT TV in the living room, and as soon as I can buy a new TV for my room, my old 32" LCD is going out there (along with a cheap PC - hell the guest room TV is running off of an old GX280 I found in the alley, I dropped an old video card, 2GB RAM, 38GB Raptor, and Win7 on it.. works like a champ, and actually boots faster than mom's i3-based desktop.. more because there's NOTHING on it except Chrome and Windows Media Center.. probably helps that the TV is only 720p too).

Getting rid of all the boxes should knock at least $50 off of my monthly payment, though the initial investment in the HDHR boxes was a little painful. I still need to either find an old PC or build a cheap one (probably a low end Intel NUC) for whenever we get a modern TV in the living room. Also need to pull ethernet, even with 802.11n these things just kill the wireless once you have more than 3-4 streams going. All the TVs are on one side of the house, with easy attic access, so pulling cat5e should be a cinch.

... I have Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, and I have Palladia, I have Discovery, and I have HBO. So I'm happy (until I get the bill). And when I get the bill, I cheer myself up by running a speedtest and firing up some torrents.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 6, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

If it's more going to be a hobby than a living, get something classic. What's the US equivalent to a Fergie?

As cool as a classic sounds, they are like cars. Exceptionally over priced. Green paint costs a fortune, and for the same price I can get a 2 year old Kubota with 4x4 and a loader bucket with 40hp.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DirecTV cancellation effective now. First time since I've been a little kid that I don't have cable/satellite TV at home. Is ROKU still the best option as a cheap box for media streaming? Have my Xbox 360 for one TV, but need to power the other couple.

Doesn't bother me yet. The only downside is I can't pick up any local news channels.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Guy, me and the GF will be visiting the USA from NZ in late October early Nov and we are looking at renting a car to get around from San Diego into AZ and NV and back to San Fran / LA/ San Diego. Who should we be renting a car from for our adventure? Firefly seems cheap as, but also has a bunch of bad reviews placed against it for cranking up the price once you go to pick up the car. I have an NZ AA membership (Similar to AAA) and I carry an active duty reservist Military ID, if this helps.

Also are campervans (Small vansized RV's) a big thing in these areas? And are there any rules around freedom camping.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

angryhampster posted:

DirecTV cancellation effective now. First time since I've been a little kid that I don't have cable/satellite TV at home. Is ROKU still the best option as a cheap box for media streaming? Have my Xbox 360 for one TV, but need to power the other couple.

Doesn't bother me yet. The only downside is I can't pick up any local news channels.

Check out chromecast too, to see if that will meet your needs. We have both, and they definitely do the job. The roku gets more use for Amazon Prime streaming, and it's what we've used since we cut the cord - but $35 is hard to beat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryhampster posted:

I actually found a Roku app for a local TV channel for their newscasts.

Are your TVs new enough to have a digital tuner? If so, just get a good antenna and amplifier.

I have a Roku 1 (current version), but I've started having problems with it randomly rebooting. Mostly while watching stuff in the History Channel app. It ties in very well with the Plex media server (if you want to stream from a PC, though I prefer RARflix instead of the official Plex app), and I've noticed that an alpha of SlimKat (Android 4.4.4 branch) lets me cast to the Roku now (I haven't tried casting to anything except the Chromecast yet, and the option seems to have been removed from the latest stable release).

As ssjonizuka said, the Chromecast is worth consideration too, though personally I only use it for Netflix, HBO GO (which requires a cable subscription), and Plex. All stuff the Roku can do - and the Roku can do Amazon as well.

If you're gonna look at a Roku, at least look at the 2. The 1 is really sluggish compared to the 2, and you get the remote that supports headphones with the 2 (there's a way to enable both headphones and TV sound at once, instead of one or the other).

ssjonizuka posted:

Check out chromecast too, to see if that will meet your needs. We have both, and they definitely do the job. The roku gets more use for Amazon Prime streaming, and it's what we've used since we cut the cord - but $35 is hard to beat.

It's also loving awesome being able to fling something from Netflix, YouTube, etc to the TV via the Chromecast. And some builds of Android 4.4.x are bringing the ability to mirror the phone screen to the TV via Chromecast.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 6, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Anphear posted:

Guy, me and the GF will be visiting the USA from NZ in late October early Nov and we are looking at renting a car to get around from San Diego into AZ and NV and back to San Fran / LA/ San Diego. Who should we be renting a car from for our adventure? Firefly seems cheap as, but also has a bunch of bad reviews placed against it for cranking up the price once you go to pick up the car. I have an NZ AA membership (Similar to AAA) and I carry an active duty reservist Military ID, if this helps.
Just use whichever of the big companies is cheapest. Enterprise is a bit weird with out of state stuff. Hertz is expensive, though the cars are nicer and strangely often works out the cheapest of 1 way.
Virtually all of the small companies are kind of shady here.

quote:

Also are campervans (Small vansized RV's) a big thing in these areas? And are there any rules around freedom camping.
No. And generally not allowed. Also, most of the ones I've seen are 90s previas with 300k mi or early 2000 Caravans with 200k mi. Great to break down in the desert with.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Tractorchat: when I pushed my groceries out last night I had to stop for a dude who drove his riding mower to the grocery store, towing one of those tiny trailers meant to go behind a bicycle but filled with groceries. He could've pushed his cart out to a remote part of the lot to load up and depart from there, but instead decided to depart through the high traffic lane in front of the store entrance. Florida is classy.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Anphear posted:

freedom camping.

This is my new word for American homelessness.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, the last episode of Oz was a huge copout (literally). They wrapped up everything nice and tight except for what I expected them to leave dangling. It was interesting seeing folks from Dexter from about a decade younger. "LaGuerta" was just as annoying.

I've started watching "Flight of the Conchords", and it is probably the funniest drat thing that I've watched from this century. A++ would snicker again.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

freelop posted:

Make yourself one of these

I have to go with the turbo volvo tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq9AY6uyaB8

Anphear posted:

All of the rental car companies here suck, just gotta get the one that sucks the least. I use Avis, but that is only because I get a killer deal from them through work. Budget is the same company, but a bit cheaper. I would avoid the super small companies, especially if you are going to be going across multiple states.

As for campervans, you really wont find anything to rent like you do in NZ. You can rent full on RV's, but last time I looked they are around ~$1,200 a week.

The other option is the true AI one, just go buy a sub $1,000 car and drive it into the ground while you are here. My brother and I did the same thing when we were in NZ years ago. Paid $300NZ for a swift 5 door hatch.

Viggen posted:

I've started watching "Flight of the Conchords", and it is probably the funniest drat thing that I've watched from this century. A++ would snicker again.

I highly suggest watching Short Poppies if you like the manager from flight of the concords. Same actor with a show about a small town in NZ where he plays most of the roles in the show. It was on netflix streaming recently.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 6, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Viggen posted:

So, the last episode of Oz was a huge copout (literally). They wrapped up everything nice and tight except for what I expected them to leave dangling. It was interesting seeing folks from Dexter from about a decade younger. "LaGuerta" was just as annoying.

If you watch the Rio animated movies (blue parrot voiced by Jesse Eisenberg), the evil cockatoo, Nigel, is voiced by Jemaine. Imagining him saying all of Nigel's lines makes the movie way better.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Yg3aeh138

In case we still want to rally race V12 cars.

This was in the related links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_RrDN-AbE It's pretty awesome.

some texas redneck posted:

...I signed up for Verizon FiOS for the internet....

I am moving this month, and for the first time in my life, I have to pick my own cable/internet provider (everywhere else the roommates were in charge of that bill)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anphear posted:

I'll never rent Hertz again, partly because they're more expensive but mostly because they were complete loving assholes when it came to refunding me. I had a dealer loaner that was done via Hertz while my MS3 got some rewiring done, and when I dropped it off it was a holiday weekend. Even though it was well within the date / time I was allowed, the Hertz desk at the dealer had already hosed off so they didn't log it as returned for four more days.

A month later, on the same day as I notice a sudden Hertz credit card charge, I get what they claim to be the third notice via mail that they were going to charge me. Took another week or so of wrangling, plus having to pick up a check from a regional manager who was clearly very unhappy to have to deal with me, to get the money cleared up. gently caress Hertz forever.

As far as "freedom camping" - is this just parking wherever you feel like and sleeping? Walmart actually encourages this whenever local laws don't prevent it, or there's always highway rest stops (if any are still open on the routes you choose).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jesus camping with my wife & 2 kids became an epic adventure in packing poo poo at some point recently. We pulled the two middle seats from the multipla so its a 2x2 with an aisle down the middle, then packed it full of poo poo, plus the little trailer which handled being loaded with maybe 200kgs like a champ. we're here now and the kids are in bed so I thought I'd share the visual delight that is a Fiat Multipla with you yanks, who think you're hard done to with the looks of the PT Cruiser

This car is fantastic and I'm sure it's such a low theft risk that if you leave it somewhere long enough fellow deluded idiots fans will leave spare parts for you.

As an aside there are over 20 of these things within a 5 mile radius of me, it's like a blackhole of ugly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What is it with Italians and that double decker look?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

More to the point, why did they exchange one old calliper, before the job was approved, never mind finished?

este posted:

I think he said it perfectly - he is stuck, not you. Not your problem!

Yup, sadly thats how it will play out--he told me after a few more texts back and forth that I could just pay the core charge of 55 bucks and not buy the caliper for 120! great, i would love to pay 55 bucks for your mistake of letting the caliper out the door when you shouldn't have!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Trying to sell parts to poor as gently caress subaru kids through cragslist is insane.

I reply to their emails and am at about a 90% no response rate. loving idiots.

I'm going to start scrapping this poo poo.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I was just about to ask if anyone could link me to this video, but I found it just as I was typing this post. I'll just share it because, man, it's an oldie but a goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes if i get a ticket at work i dont really want to work on i'll make sure to save my farts walking across the parking lot just to blast one off in a car that is not mine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Sometimes if i get a ticket at work i dont really want to work on i'll make sure to save my farts walking across the parking lot just to blast one off in a car that is not mine.

When you pull the battery, do you have to write down all the radio channel presets before you pull it and waste time reprogramming the radio presets afterward? I went to one place that didn't do it and was inexplicably angry even though I understood why it happened and would have done the same in that situation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When you pull the battery, do you have to write down all the radio channel presets before you pull it and waste time reprogramming the radio presets afterward? I went to one place that didn't do it and was inexplicably angry even though I understood why it happened and would have done the same in that situation.

I've seen that as part of the instructions in factory service manuals, but I've never had it done.
Actually, the aftermarket stereo in my second car seems to have non-volatile memory so the presets remain (although some of the other settings don't). It shouldn't be too hard for new stereos to do that though.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

I thought I'd share the visual delight that is a Fiat Multipla with you yanks

"Wait till you see them Italian cars"

Ever been to one of the "Ugly bug balls"?

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Negromancer posted:

As for campervans, you really wont find anything to rent like you do in NZ. You can rent full on RV's, but last time I looked they are around ~$1,200 a week.

The other option is the true AI one, just go buy a sub $1,000 car and drive it into the ground while you are here. My brother and I did the same thing when we were in NZ years ago. Paid $300NZ for a swift 5 door hatch.

While I am down for buying a beater the GF is pretty much against it. If we were there for like 6 weeks I would consider, but as its more like 12 days its probably not worth it.

http://www.escapecampervans.com/Campervans.html

Found these guys. Turns out they are an American arm of the Escape campers from NZ.

I'll make sure I check with the rental people about out of State travel.

Comedy option who's got a Van I can borrow for 2 weeks? I'll make sure I air it out before I return it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

freelop posted:

"Wait till you see them Italian cars"

Ever been to one of the "Ugly bug balls"?

Not voluntarily but there are three in our street, another three within the next couple of streets. We could have our own if we had no sense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Woo, Lend Us A Ride Australia Ep 2 is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cf0_PtJJ4M

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Negromancer posted:

I highly suggest watching Short Poppies if you like the manager from flight of the concords. Same actor with a show about a small town in NZ where he plays most of the roles in the show. It was on netflix streaming recently.

I done seen that already. At first, I thought this was a yet another Chris Lilley ripoff, but I was pleasantly surprised by the third episode. :)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
woo doing rfqs for outside processing because apparently that's my job too even though we have people who get paid waaaay more than I do who are supposed to handle that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

• Locked thread