Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have this mortar and pestle and it's worked wonders for anything I've needed so far. Making guacamole is the most obvious use, I've mashed up the insides of deviled eggs, and I grind together different kinds of salts and other spices for rubs. I think it's great.

I bought that one too, based on this thread. Great purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Annath posted:

So I'll be going back to school at the end of the month, and I'm looking for easy ideas for lunches/dinners prepared at home and brought to class/clinical.

It needs to fit in a small cooler and be OK to eat after 3-4 hours in there with an ice pack and bottled water.

Bonus points for recipes that make enough for two, as I ended up making lunches for one of my classmates after she fell in love with my parm crusted tilapia. (which I'd eat every day were fresh fish not so pricy).

Do you have access to a microwave?

Otherwise, the standard lunch of a sandwich (I like to get some nice, seeded bread rather than the poo poo spongy white stuff) with some cheese, meat, chutney or whatever and a salad is a good starting point.

You can also make cold noodle salads with whatever veggies etc you like in them, or take leftovers that are good cold (chicken, pasta, some vegetable dishes and so on.) Cheese and crackers is also good, and it's something that you can again augment as a meal by using salad and the like.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

Bonus points for recipes that make enough for two, as I ended up making lunches for one of my classmates after she fell in love with my parm crusted tilapia. (which I'd eat every day were fresh fish not so pricy).
Buy whatever other fish happens to be fresh and on sale or cheaper. Tilapia is pretty much dumpster-tier as far as fish goes; it has become popular precisely because it is relatively flavourless (and therefore can be dressed up with all kinds of mango chutney and crusted with walnuts or whatever the gently caress and'll end up tasting like whatever's been done to it instead of like a fish) and it's easy to farm. Since the popularity (it's now one of the couple most-consumed forms of seafood in the US) has driven the price up, there's almost literally no reason to pick it over whatever else your fishmonger might have handy unless it happens to be on sale that day.

I mean if you dig tilapia more power to ya. Seriously I don't care. I'm just throwing this out there as a sort of PSA because some people seem to have this weird impression that tilapia is `fancy' or something, when absolutely the opposite is true.

Edit: And don't get hung up on `fresh' versus `frozen'. Unless you caught it yourself, any fish you eat has almost certainly been frozen at some point. The overwhelming majority of fish go straight from the see to ice. And specifically if you're eating tilapia---most commercially-sold tilapia are farmed in China. You have almost certainly never eaten a tilapia that was not previously frozen.

SubG fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 3, 2014

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Annath posted:

So I'll be going back to school at the end of the month, and I'm looking for easy ideas for lunches/dinners prepared at home and brought to class/clinical.

It needs to fit in a small cooler and be OK to eat after 3-4 hours in there with an ice pack and bottled water.

Bulgur can be good cold. Two common ways to do it cold are as tabbouleh, or as kisir. Tabbouleh is a salad with tons of herbs (cilantro and mint) with onion and lemon juice and oil and a bit of bulgur. Tabbouleh can be more herb than bulgur. Kisir is bulgar seasoned with tomato paste, herbs, and maybe red pepper paste if that's your thing. You can look for a recipe or just do it how you feel. I've had luck with just adding some tomato paste to my cooked bulgur and mixing thoroughly and seasoning it with salt/pepper/whatever. I'm sure you can add a whole mess of different spices and herbs and other adjuncts as you like.

With the bulgur as the base part, you can then just add in some main part like some beans/bean salad, or some leftover main dish, veggies, etc.

As far as cooking bulgur, I usually use a 1:1.5 ratio of bulgar:water. I boil the water, and add the proper amount to either a bowl or a small sauce pan with the bulgur and cover it tightly, then let it sit for maybe 15-20 minutes or so. Then it's cooked and ready to go.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Awesome suggestions!

And I live at home while in nursing school, so I have access to a full kitchen.

I especially like the bulgur suggestion, healthy and delicious is a great combo.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Buy whatever other fish happens to be fresh and on sale or cheaper. Tilapia is pretty much dumpster-tier as far as fish goes; it has become popular precisely because it is relatively flavourless (and therefore can be dressed up with all kinds of mango chutney and crusted with walnuts or whatever the gently caress and'll end up tasting like whatever's been done to it instead of like a fish) and it's easy to farm. Since the popularity (it's now one of the couple most-consumed forms of seafood in the US) has driven the price up, there's almost literally no reason to pick it over whatever else your fishmonger might have handy unless it happens to be on sale that day.

I mean if you dig tilapia more power to ya. Seriously I don't care. I'm just throwing this out there as a sort of PSA because some people seem to have this weird impression that tilapia is `fancy' or something, when absolutely the opposite is true.

Edit: And don't get hung up on `fresh' versus `frozen'. Unless you caught it yourself, any fish you eat has almost certainly been frozen at some point. The overwhelming majority of fish go straight from the see to ice. And specifically if you're eating tilapia---most commercially-sold tilapia are farmed in China. You have almost certainly never eaten a tilapia that was not previously frozen.

Farmed tilapia is also one of the shittier fish as far as heavy metals and pesticides etc. They're largely fed using fishfood processed from the discards of fish fairly high in the food chain (salmon, cod)- the dried fishmeal and the superprocessed fishoil which has such lovely additives as ethoxyquin.

In general, farmed fish tend to be much more contaminated than non-farmed. (I SAID IN GENERAL, NOT ALWAYS)

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Oops. A friend got me a copy of Modernist Cuisine At Home for my birthday. Now I feel obliged to cook something from it for him...which seems to require a bunch of equipment I don't have. Is this a valid excuse to get some sous vide gear? :D

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

jkk posted:

Oops. A friend got me a copy of Modernist Cuisine At Home for my birthday. Now I feel obliged to cook something from it for him...which seems to require a bunch of equipment I don't have. Is this a valid excuse to get some sous vide gear? :D

yes. yes it is. but if you want to try it out before you shell out the dough, you can do sous vide with a huge stockpot, a candy thermometer, a low flame and patience. You won't get completely accurate results, but you can keep the temp within a degree or two- good enough for most meats and fish.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

jkk posted:

Pick up a pressure cooker while you're at it, if you don't have one already. MCAH will put it to good use.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Wroughtirony posted:

yes. yes it is. but if you want to try it out before you shell out the dough, you can do sous vide with a huge stockpot, a candy thermometer, a low flame and patience. You won't get completely accurate results, but you can keep the temp within a degree or two- good enough for most meats and fish.

You can also use a styrofoam cooler, a meat thermometer and a source of hot water. Just add the hot water as needed to maintain the temperature. I've done steak that way and it worked fine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm kind of shocked at how far those immersion sooveeder machines have come... I would kind of like a dedicated machine, but that eats up a lot of space.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm kind of shocked at how far those immersion sooveeder machines have come... I would kind of like a dedicated machine, but that eats up a lot of space.

Yeah, space is definitely my main concern for my kitchen right now. I want to get a good Cuisinart mixer but that'd reduce my counter space by so much. Let alone getting fancy specialized machines like sous vide.

First world kitchen problems. :unsmith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone in Los Angeles know where I can get crawfish other than 99 Ranch

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Did that vertical sous viddle stick ever end up being a thing? There was a kickstarter for it a year or two ago; it clipped to the side of your pot and maintained temp by cycling water through its own pump and hearing element. Good idea if it eventuated, and if they make it on 220v.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

slingshot effect posted:

Did that vertical sous viddle stick ever end up being a thing? There was a kickstarter for it a year or two ago; it clipped to the side of your pot and maintained temp by cycling water through its own pump and hearing element. Good idea if it eventuated, and if they make it on 220v.
There are several---e.g. Anova, Sansaire, Nomiku.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

slingshot effect posted:

I have the Sansaire, but I haven't used it yet. I will say that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The whole thing just feels cheap.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have the Sansaire, but I haven't used it yet. I will say that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The whole thing just feels cheap.

What did you expect, it is cheap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

What did you expect, it is cheap.

$200 isn't exactly cheap.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

$200 isn't exactly cheap.

Oh, you bought it for it's reputation?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Oh, you bought it for it's reputation?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

What the gently caress are you talking about?

You buying the cheapest sous vide gadget available then complaining that it's cheap?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
$200 is pretty much the average price for hobby sous vide machines. I bought my Sous Vide Demi for $200 3-4 years ago, ages before the recent rush of different models came out. And I assure you that my Demi doesn't feel cheap.

In fact, doesn't the Anova have a sub 200 model now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

You buying the cheapest sous vide gadget available then complaining that it's cheap?

I'm quite familiar with the diffferent sous vide options out there, and there are definitely cheaper sous vide gadgets available. And for $200, I would expect the plastic housing to be a little thicker and the buttons to be more substantial. Changes that would add only a couple of dollars to the build cost.

But way to be an rear end anyway, I guess.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I'm quite familiar with the diffferent sous vide options out there, and there are definitely cheaper sous vide gadgets available. And for $200, I would expect the plastic housing to be a little thicker and the buttons to be more substantial. Changes that would add only a couple of dollars to the build cost.

But way to be an rear end anyway, I guess.

Too bad your familiarity with the options didn't extend to the plastic housing thickness and button feel I guess, but congratulations on bing an expert in the field and choosing the wrong product all at the same time, I'm sure it's gratifying for you in some way or another.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Too bad your familiarity with the options didn't extend to the plastic housing thickness and button feel I guess, but congratulations on bing an expert in the field and choosing the wrong product all at the same time, I'm sure it's gratifying for you in some way or another.

You sound like a really unhappy person. Not sure why you would take your misery out on me, but do whatever makes you feel good buddy.

I bought this through kickstarter (surprisingly, you can'y feel build quality through your screen) as a compliment to my Polyscience 7306. I guess I'll find out if it's the wrong product if/when I get around to using it.

I hope that whatever is happening in your life that's causing you to be a caustic rear end in a top hat improves and your day gets better! Cheers!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

bing an expert in the field

surprisingly, you can'y feel build quality through your screen

These two typos made me feel better.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use my Sansaire a lot and it feels fine to me. Maybe not as nice as a Polyscience but I have no complaints.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Stop being so pissy about fancy boil-in-a-bag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

These two typos made me feel better.

Nitpicking typos, that's how you win an argument.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

And the original question was specific to the sansair :rolleyes:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

I hope that whatever is happening in your life that's causing you to be a caustic rear end in a top hat improves and your day gets better! Cheers!

If this was facebook, I'd kill myself for being on facebook, or I'd like your post

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that is some legendary pre whirled peas dickishness there Stringent.

And that's coming from the dude who was a legendary dick during WP.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

GrAviTy84 posted:

that is some legendary pre whirled peas dickishness there Stringent.

And that's coming from the dude who was a legendary dick during WP.

Can I get some context here?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Loanarn posted:

GrAviTy84's dick was so small and limp it became a legend.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loanarn posted:

Once upon a time everyone was a dick to each other. Then the mods said "don't do that." Some people were better at following that directive than others.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

GrAviTy84's dick was so small and limp it became a legend.

rude

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Y'all wanna stop arguing about your "fancy" (Kickstarter :laffo:) meat boiling machines and gimme some tips for making great beef bourguignon?

Never made it before, yet here I am with a case of "beef burgundy tips" courtesy of La Madre.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Annath posted:

Y'all wanna stop arguing about your "fancy" (Kickstarter :laffo:) meat boiling machines and gimme some tips for making great beef bourguignon?

Never made it before, yet here I am with a case of "beef burgundy tips" courtesy of La Madre.

sear hard. The biggest thing you can do to improve $stew is build more fond. After that, adding some cuts with good amounts of connective tissue can make the mouthfeel better. Bone in short ribs, oxtails, and shanks are good for this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

But was it legendary?

GrAviTy84 posted:

sear hard. The biggest thing you can do to improve $stew is build more fond. After that, adding some cuts with good amounts of connective tissue can make the mouthfeel better. Bone in short ribs, oxtails, and shanks are good for this.
This, and adjusting the amount of tomato paste/purée can do a lot to fine-tune the flavour/feel of the end product. Also use fresh herbs whenever possible instead of dry, with the exception of the bay. And specifically in the case of bourguignon the pork adds a lot, so using better/more flavourful pork can be the difference between merely okay and really good. I don't find that the quality of the wine makes that much of a difference (mod always using something that's actually drinkable), but I'm not exactly a connoisseur.

Child's recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a pretty good start, although I never dust the beef with flour as she suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Annath posted:

Maybe this is obvious, but get good meat. I made identical beef goulash recipes using stew beef from $RandomGrocery and with a piece of whole grass-fed meat, cut up at home, from Whole Foods, and it was amazing how much better it tasted.

And then I wept because I can't afford the good beef very much.