Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SynthOrange posted:

Why the hell is this thread so allergic to posting anything?

quote:

The last two pages

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

sweeperbravo posted:

Any good comics capable of sustaining discussion end up with their own threads, the mediocre ones either aren't interesting enough to talk about, or someone wants to say something critical about them and maybe one or two people agree, maybe someone excuses the problem and says we shouldn't be so negative, and then the conversation is dropped.

Goodness me, the number of times I have seen comics, any comics, recommended or mentioned in this thread only to be completely ignored! So many recs have been made to absolutely zero acknowledgment from the rest of the thread, it's a wonder anyone even bothers.
I think it's more likely that nobody goes to the majority of links that are posted, regardless of quality. If they do, they choose not to talk about them because nobody will bite and/or people have a weird idea of needing Goon Consensus before they'll admit to liking anything.

I really like H&J. The art is not what I'm used to seeing in webcomics (in a good way: it's interesting and fun), the humor is right up my alley, and I find the character choices refreshing!

I also like Buffet of Lies, which is clever and subtle and infused with just enough quiet existentialism to set it apart from the rest of the goofy comedy genre.

Both comics improve a lot from day one to the current and it's really exciting to watch them evolve and become more sophisticated both in art and writing.

Grantaire fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 6, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Grantaire posted:

Goodness me, the number of times I have seen comics, any comics, recommended or mentioned in this thread only to be completely ignored! So many recs have been made to absolutely zero acknowledgment from the rest of the thread, it's a wonder anyone even bothers.

That's true.

I think it also would help if people included a page in img tags when linking a comic they want to show off. There's a lot of recs I won't click because someone saying "THIS IS GOOD" won't sell me, but seeing the art might.

I am guilty of this myself in my recommendations. Except properly image-ized recommendations in the future.

H&J is pretty slick, I need to catch up on it myself.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
e: ignore this I fixed it :3:

Grantaire fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 6, 2014

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I saw my comic mentioned earlier! Thank you to everyone who reads it! I'd like to announce I have a little 'Ask Blog' Thing going on, for anyone interested. It's all 'In Universe' so questions will sort of be treated as such, and may or may not actually be true answers. If people have questions and they'd like to write in, they can ask Lantern Zhao. I'm trying to build up a bit of a backlog of questions, and hopefully expand on some themes/setting issues that wouldn't be too expositiony if they were totally dumped into the main narrative.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nimona still heading full bore for a horrifically sad ending :ohdear:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Saw a link to Unlife a few days ago on tumblr maybe? I can't recall exactly but it's been a pretty okay read.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

sweeperbravo posted:

edit: Part of me wants to just start reviewing comics and posting the reviews here but again I dunno how well that would go over and I also give up on everything so I would end up doing like two of them and then loving off forever, to the joy of literally everyone on the site

This came up in the thread a few weeks ago and the general consensus was: yes, do it. It's better to get two reviews and then nothing forever than zero. :justpost:

I think also sometimes people get afraid of posting here because if they mention something they're not supposed to like other people jump down their throats like there's diamonds stuck to their epiglottis. It's cool to criticize comics, but "That's a bad comic *fart*" is not actually a criticism. (I added the "*fart*". It is there to show you that I think this way of behaving is ridiculous.)

Let me make a suggestion. If you're reading this, and wondering why people in this thread don't talk about X, where X is a webcomic or a general topic about webcomics, start talking about it. And if you read a post that you're interested in in some way, try replying to it. Maybe this crazy thing will work out!

Grantaire posted:

I really like H&J. The art is not what I'm used to seeing in webcomics (in a good way: it's interesting and fun), the humor is right up my alley, and I find the character choices refreshing!

I keep meaning to go read this and never actually doing it. Because you recommended it, tonight I am going to go through the entire archives, and nothing shall stop me.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I really liked H&J chapter one but I'm going to wait a bit before binging chapter two+???.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

I saw my comic mentioned earlier! Thank you to everyone who reads it!

And thank YOU for making a good comic.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Saw a link to Unlife a few days ago on tumblr maybe? I can't recall exactly but it's been a pretty okay read.

I'm really liking it so far. And it has a long backlog! Made longer by my terrible hotel wifi!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did Abominable Charles Christopher ever go anywhere from a couple years ago? I'd check, but I'm worried it's going to annoy me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Townsen's still dead.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Space-Bird posted:

I saw my comic mentioned earlier! Thank you to everyone who reads it! I'd like to announce I have a little 'Ask Blog' Thing going on, for anyone interested. It's all 'In Universe' so questions will sort of be treated as such, and may or may not actually be true answers. If people have questions and they'd like to write in, they can ask Lantern Zhao. I'm trying to build up a bit of a backlog of questions, and hopefully expand on some themes/setting issues that wouldn't be too expositiony if they were totally dumped into the main narrative.

is there a new RSS feed? The old one died and I can't find a new one

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Really drat good, thanks for the link!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Y'know, I really expected sean to just wander off and pee without there being any problems at all and am SO SHOCKED by this current twist.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

RickoniX posted:

is there a new RSS feed? The old one died and I can't find a new one

There is! It should be right here http://www.astralaves.com/rss.php hopefully that fixes it. I moved hosts. I should probably post an image or something on the old site, to let people know who were only viewing the rss before.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Seconding the recommendation for Unlife. I checked it out, pretty good, but this page is what truly sold me on it:

CSI Miami jokes may be dated, but drat if they don't still make me laugh. :3:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

I spent half the night archive binging. No regrets.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
Hahah, I've been reading it spottily throughout the day (between work assignments, don't judge me). Thanks for the recommendation! I love how good of a mix there is between Zombie Movie Stuff and genuine sadness, it's not something I generally expect from this sort of thing. I actually don't tend to like zombie narratives at all, but the premise won me over on this one.
I wonder where the memory loss business is going?

This past Tuesday on Countershot we featured Curia Regis by RobinPierce, and this has been my second archive crawl today. I'm still early on, but I love the art and I'm really eager to see where it goes.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
It's kind of a cool story simply because it's isn't a zombie *apocolypse*

The whole end of society survive by scrounging in gas stations among hordes of undead is the played part.

And biologically/ecologically unfeasible :colbert:

ZackRI
Aug 1, 2010

Alopex posted:

I spent half the night archive binging. No regrets.

Hey, Thanks for reading!

I suddenly logged in while checking the traffic for today, and noticed a spike in readership.

Thank you all for checking unlife out we appreciate it!

Sketched something up to thank you goons.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
aw :3:
You're doing a great job, friend! Keep it up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Nimona. :smith:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Grantaire posted:

I also like Buffet of Lies, which is clever and subtle and infused with just enough quiet existentialism to set it apart from the rest of the goofy comedy genre.

Buffet of Lies is one of my f-f-f-favourite comics and I feel like it gets overlooked a lot just because it does things in a slightly unusual way for a comedy strip. It mixes gags with short story arcs, and has kind of a weird sitcom feel with a cast of recurring characters and internal lore(?) about the setting.

The art is increasingly cool and like nothing else out there that I've seen. It has a very classic cartoon appeal, more concerned with expression and humour than with fitting definitive character models, which is an approach I really dig. Gigantic comic nerds and BSS newpaper comic thread readers can also look out for an Everett True cameo in one of the later arcs. Truly something for everyone.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Apothecia has filled me with dread over what we're going to see on the next page. Earth singlehandedly ravaged by the evil kiddie pool, probably.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Carrasco posted:

Apothecia has filled me with dread over what we're going to see on the next page. Earth singlehandedly ravaged by the evil kiddie pool, probably.

Pirate Captain Jessie

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Gotta admit that wasn't what I was expecting.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Hey folks, read Tove OK?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

ZackRI posted:

Sketched something up to thank you goons.

Daaaw :kimchi: thanks for swinging by! I'm all caught up now and dealing with archive withdrawals already heh.

SuperHappy posted:

Hey folks, read Tove OK?

OK!

Rei_ posted:

Nimona. :smith:

I'm sure everything will be okay. :smithicide:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I need to know. Is it just me, or did QC's art suddenly get super anime in the last couple of pages?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I need to know. Is it just me, or did QC's art suddenly get super anime in the last couple of pages?

It did.

I think it's a positive change, honestly. It's much more dynamic and interesting to look at. I hope he'll keep playing around with it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Wittgen posted:

He is trying out a new style, yes.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Thanks to everyone who kept mentioning Astral Aves - finally read it, it is great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sweeperbravo posted:

It did.

I think it's a positive change, honestly. It's much more dynamic and interesting to look at. I hope he'll keep playing around with it.
I agree. The plot is still using the nails of the true cross to build an Ikea, but at least it's a nice-looking Ikea.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I actually don't like the QC art change. Good that he's experimenting, but the eyes have hit some uncanny valley for me now where I'm just repulsed by them.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I actually don't like the QC art change. Good that he's experimenting, but the eyes have hit some uncanny valley for me now where I'm just repulsed by them.

I can understand that. Honestly I think I'm just so relieved to see him trying something new that he could be like "Hey guys I'm drawing this next comic in animal blood using a tampon" and I'd be rooting for it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I like the bigger eyes better. The smaller ones always looked like the characters were squinting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's great that he's trying new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

He tweeted something about "drawing a little looser" and I gotta say it's a significant improvement. The quality of the art has definitely taken a few steps back, but loosening it up has definitely given the art quite a bit of extra life. Hopefully he'll settle on a new equilibrium point soon, where he keeps this looseness but also makes Marigold's eyes less enormous.

• Locked thread