Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, Crytek had nothing to do with Homefront at all so I didn't read the rest of the post as I'm assuming you're pulling info out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Fix your goddamn avatar Palpek.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hav posted:

Only in terms of the wish-fulfillment. Even the original Red Dawn stretched credibility by introducing the Cuban/Mexican alliance to annexe the Rockies. Large countries tend to be difficult to invade in the modern world for gently caress all strategic gains. We just tend to send someone in with a contract now.

Dude, it's a video game. That's the flimsiest argument I've ever heard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

Fix your goddamn avatar Palpek.
nnnnoooooo

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Palpek posted:

nnnnoooooo

I'll do it man! I'll fuckin' do it!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Yeah, Crytek had nothing to do with Homefront at all so I didn't read the rest of the post as I'm assuming you're pulling info out of thin air.

I conflated the problems with Homefront with something else that I heard about. The second part that you ignored, being noted thread personality 'Palpek', is documented here;

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/26/report-ryse-2-cancelled-amid-financial-woes-at-crytek.aspx

PantsBandit posted:

Dude, it's a video game. That's the flimsiest argument I've ever heard.

Not nearly as flimsy as any plotline that involves an invasion of the US mainland.

Edit: World in Conflict's actually wasn't that bad, unless you know something about logistics.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Can this be played on Windows or do I need a mobile platform?

http://lonewolfthegame.com/

Looks pretty sweet, I loving love choose-your-own-adventure books!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hav posted:

I conflated the problems with Homefront with something else that I heard about. The second part that you ignored, being noted thread personality 'Palpek', is documented here;

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/26/report-ryse-2-cancelled-amid-financial-woes-at-crytek.aspx

Not nearly as flimsy as any plotline that involves an invasion of the US mainland.

Edit: World in Conflict's actually wasn't that bad, unless you know something about logistics.

Why should realism get in the way of an entertaining storyline though? In the game I am currently playing, Nazis take over the USA by dropping an atom bomb on NYC and invading with giant robots. Nobody (except you I guess) is going to care if it's something that would ever really happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

Why should realism get in the way of an entertaining storyline though? In the game I am currently playing, Nazis take over the USA by dropping an atom bomb on NYC and invading with giant robots.
The problem was Homefront took itself dead seriously unlike a lot other "America gets invaded" alt history games like Freedom Fighters or Command and Conquer: Red Alert where they are tongue in cheek.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's easier to accept my ability to reload weapons magically, fire shotguns from the hip and walk off bullet wounds when writers of escapist fantasy respect the sanctity of my land and don't represent geopolitically unlikely situations. It would have been fine if we'd been shooting communists or muslims in their own country, but here?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

MooCowlian posted:

It's easier to accept my ability to reload weapons magically, fire shotguns from the hip and walk off bullet wounds when writers of escapist fantasy respect the sanctity of my land and don't represent geopolitically unlikely situations. It would have been fine if we'd been shooting communists or muslims in their own country, but here?

You're an idiot who's completely missing the point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tripwood posted:

It literally tells you what platforms it's available on. Just the mobile bits. I think you'd need a developer thing to run android stuff on a Windows PC platform.

It's through Unity, which would make porting it to Win7/PC less difficult, but it doesn't sound like he's done that yet, or will.

That seems cool from the trailer, but I would not have guessed it was a CYOA book game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

tripwood posted:

Looks mobile-only. You could try Bluestacks, which is an 'app-player' for Windows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

folgore posted:

You're an idiot who's completely missing the point.

What exactly is the point? I'm sure a bunch of the poo poo that happens in CoD would never happen in real life. There's really no way they could hand-wave some sort of justification for an invasion of US soil? You guys are acting like every Tom Clancy book that's ever had a little bit of an unrealistic storyline has no right to be serious in tone.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hav posted:

Ok cool, now I believe you.

I think Homefront failed mainly because the game was just really boring and bad and the level design was too corridor-like even for the genre. I can't even counnt how many times the game had you open doors and your teammates went always first so it was like you were just in their way all the time etc. I don't think people would care about the villain being North Korea if the game itself wasn't garbage.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

It literally tells you what platforms it's available on. Just the mobile bits. I think you'd need a developer thing to run android stuff on a Windows PC platform.

It's through Unity, which would make porting it to Win7/PC less difficult, but it doesn't sound like he's done that yet, or will.

That seems cool from the trailer, but I would not have guessed it was a CYOA book game.

You could just install BlueStacks, the free Android platform for Windows. You should be able to log in to your Humble Bundle App and download the game from there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

What exactly is the point? I'm sure a bunch of the poo poo that happens in CoD would never happen in real life. There's really no way they could hand-wave some sort of justification for an invasion of US soil? You guys are acting like every Tom Clancy book that's ever had a little bit of an unrealistic storyline has no right to be serious in tone.

I honestly don't get why people just can't get over that. If they need to :spergin: it's an alternate history science fiction timeline game where situations were similar but certain changes have led to whatever weird poo poo is required to make the game start.

These people aren't complaining about Wolfenstein or fuckin' Deadspace or Crysis. Buncha :spergin:

:qq::911::respek::patriot::qq:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

PantsBandit posted:

I don't even disagree with you. Homefront is bad because it emphasizes narrative over gameplay but the story it has to tell is utter poo poo. No one arguing here even thinks it's a decent game so whatever.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The setting is one of the least bad things about homefront. It's okay to take things seriously even if they aren't factual or even feasible in the real world as we know it, and it's okay for some parts of a book/game/concept album/fetish drawing to be more realistic than other parts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The correct way to do Homefront is to have turbo Kim-Jong Un come roaring out of the sun and crush the Empire State building with one blow of his massive hairdo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gort posted:

The correct way to do Homefront is to have turbo Kim-Jong Un come roaring out of the sun and crush the Empire State building with one blow of his massive hairdo.

So it'd be like Ghostbusters but with Korean dictators instead of the Stay-Puft man? I'm in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

We need a metal wolf chaos port so the modders can get on top of bringing me Mecha Kim Il Sung.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

PantsBandit posted:

So it'd be like Ghostbusters but with Korean dictators instead of the Stay-Puft man? I'm in.

No Dana, only Dear Leader.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

You'd be missing those dog guardians, though. They wouldn't...ah, they wouldn't be around. :ohdear:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

tripwood posted:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/index.php is a PC alternative.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Gort posted:

This would've been a good game.

They really should've just stuck to the big bad guy being China, because, you know, that makes sense. Searching Google you get "...THQ forced the change in order to protect its future investments in China or with Chinese partners," a real reason but bad for the game, and the bullshit reasoning after the fact that "China isn't scary! It's america's factory :swoon:" that nobody buys.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
In case you guys didn't hear the news (I believe the NuSimCity thread is dead by now, I hope), Sim City 2013 now offers a 4 hour free trial, almost exactly how long it takes to fill a city and realize that's the extent of the game. :rimshot:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Sweet, hope it works at least half as well as it sounds.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

It's not really, though - the Lone Wolf mobile game is a completely new thing, whereas that program just allows you to play the books. That said, the books are probably better anyway...

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gort posted:

Stalin vs. Martians but a FPS, and it's Kim-Jong Un vs America Pigdogs.

Whoa, there was a Stalin vs. Martians sequel kickstarter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wsR7khWzo

Croccers fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 6, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Games Workshop's catalog is today's daily deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamesworkshopsale

On that note, lately I've been playing a lot of Talisman: Digital Edition when I just need something chill to do and it's pretty fun. I thought about snagging a couple copies for friends from the sale but according to Steam forums it has a lot of stability issues online.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hmm let's see what's new on Steam

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Hmm let's see what's new on Steam

gently caress yo poo poo, nigga that bear looks fabulous.

Whatcha got back there let's see:
I'm seeing a raver pirate, a uhh...plant, a faerie bear princess, an astronaut, some Little Rascals Dennis the Menace poindexter motherfucker.

My mind is blown.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 6, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
These bears mean business.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know what that is but it looks great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's a mmo for kids (and inevitably furries who tell us about how deep the themes in the game are)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

These bears mean business.

Is this from a cutscene?

This is amazing. I mean, I'm sure the game itself fuckign sucks, but good lord this is lovely.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

There are degrees of realism and believability. Homefront blows past Tom Clancy and CoD levels and is exponentially more absurd than either, all while wanting you to take it totally seriously. It's fun to laugh at that stuff and I don't really get what's hard to understand about that. If only the game was as fun to play.

Tom Clancy books and the CoD stories are all unenjoyable poo poo, too, though, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say by bringing those up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are degrees of realism and believability. Homefront blows past Tom Clancy and CoD levels and is exponentially more absurd than either, all while wanting you to take it totally seriously. It's fun to laugh at that stuff and I don't really get what's hard to understand about that. If only the game was as fun to play.

Tom Clancy books and the CoD stories are all unenjoyable poo poo, too, though, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say by bringing those up.

What if I told you there are a lot of people that actually really enjoy Tom Clancy books :aaaaa:

You seem to believe that everyone needs to like the same things as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

PantsBandit posted:

What if I told you there are a lot of people that actually really enjoy Tom Clancy books :aaaaa:

You seem to believe that everyone needs to like the same things as you.

Well, in fairness- people liked his first 3-4 books before he went off the Mary Sue deep-end with his crazy politics and such forth.

Red Storm Rising was his best IMHO

• Locked thread