Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Am I going to have to start talking about game shows again?

Because I will do that.

I will loving talk about game shows.

Tell me about Card Sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I liked Alex Trebek's fro back when he hosted (the non-Mark Summers) Double Dare.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

I liked Alex Trebek's fro back when he hosted (the non-Mark Summers) Double Dare.

The what???

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

The what???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dare_(1976_game_show)
No relation to the Double Dare everyone actually remembers.

Look at that thing, it's beautiful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for the huge disappointment!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey occupation how long exactly does it take for manhattan to become the best drama of the year or whatever

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Of all the people to take dietary cues from, you pick Jeff? I mean I guess you could do worse and be Dan "cheese filled hotdogs microwaved in a shoebox for 3 months" Ryckert.

Are you implying jeff is wrong about stuff?

What are you some sort of anime lover

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

hey occupation how long exactly does it take for manhattan to become the best drama of the year or whatever

I was captivated from the first scene of the first episode, esp considering how crazy well done it was directed (holy poo poo that cinematography is loving incredible) plus how great the main characters performance is, whoever that guy is is loving mesmerizing onscreen

Plus the second episode is great too

I dunno, it moves away from the stereotypical buzzkill wife really quickly which was my main issue with the first episode

But yeah manhattan was just fuckin fantastic in its first two episodes IMO

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

CobiWann posted:

Every version after Jim Perry sucked and I will fight you if you disagree. :colbert:

Also The Chase's US version would be so much better if they would just stop with the insufferable dramatic pauses. You DONT NEED THAT in a show, especially one with as many questions as The Chase.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

(holy poo poo that cinematography is loving incredible)

I'm with you on this. It's definitely interesting enough that I'll keep up with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

If it's good enough for jeff gerstmann it's good enough for me: dominos forever assholes

Ryan probably ate a lot of Dominos too.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

:vince:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

You're a bad person.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Aphrodite posted:

too soon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What did that guy die from anyways?

Oh, wikipedia says sleep apnea so, being too fat to sleep.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Look at that thing, it's beautiful.

Agreed. That fro was magnificent to behold.

CobiWann posted:

Created by Chester Feldman. The very basic idea to the show got its start when he used it as the bonus game to a pilot from 1975 called "King of the Hill", during one of stints where he *wasn't* working for Goodson/Todman.

In the latter half of the seventies, Goodson/Todman really liked three types of games: games where you had to communicate something to another person, games where you had to predict the outcome, and games they already done before and can do again. Card Sharks seemed right up their alley. With Match Game, a player is predicting the (drunk) individual jerk's opinion on humor. Family Feud has a team predicting 100 jerks' opinions on facts -- never mind that the opinions don't even have to be anywhere near a correct interpretation of those facts, they just have to be popular enough to get on the board. But with Card Sharks, we're covering an entirely different aspect: you're not trying to predict whether or not people are jerks, you're trying to predict how big the jerk problem really is. "The actual number of married men who would cheat on their wife if they knew they could get away with it is... 85!? Wow, what a bunch of jerks!"

The 1978 version was really about the best you could get at the game without shoehorning crap into it. The 1980s revival missed that page towards the end when they tried to work in both versions of the post-Money Cards bonus game ("You won $16,000 in 1986 dollars, but we're totally going to kill the mood because you didn't find the car behind card #7.") The 2001 revival was just a piece of work -- if a player can win a game you've presented as a contest of skill with absolutely no input whatsoever on their part, especially considering how people could find the reruns of the earlier versions on GSN with which to make a comparison, you've done something terribly, terribly wrong.

Jim Perry was the best host, but the dude was the best host at just about anything he did, even when it came to really low-budget Canadian shows like Definition. When it comes to Bob Eubanks... I just don't know. It seems like watched a bunch of old episodes from Perry's run and tried to match his energy levels, but something comes across as less than genuine in his handling of the show. Pat Bullard did a competent job with the turd he had to try and polish. Generally, I try not to give hosts too hard of a time, because there has been a lot of decent talent for hosting over the years who just get stuck with some really terrible games.

So, yeah. Card Sharks. Good poo poo.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 6, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

See cuz he's fat and dead

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I seriously love watching old game shows when I'm too stoned and tired from work to really do anything involving brain cells. YouTube doesn't have nearly enough variety though, don't get me wrong, Match Game is the TITS but at this point I've probably watched every episode on there at least twice.

I miss the old Game Show Network. I have no idea when they stopped showing black and white game shows all night (and Starcade!) but gently caress them. Just gently caress them.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wish Scrabble would come back, I loved that show...

Meanwhile, it's fun to go back and trace how the 70s Card Sharks theme was used all over the place including the '76 Double Dare with the Trebek 'fro.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I seriously love watching old game shows when I'm too stoned and tired from work to really do anything involving brain cells. YouTube doesn't have nearly enough variety though, don't get me wrong, Match Game is the TITS but at this point I've probably watched every episode on there at least twice.

I miss the old Game Show Network. I have no idea when they stopped showing black and white game shows all night (and Starcade!) but gently caress them. Just gently caress them.

:ssh: they have match game in canada now

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I'm jumping on board the Manhattan bandwagon. It's super good so far, although I wouldn't recommend it if you're one of those people who hates slow character-focused dramas, in which case I don't even wanna talk to you get outta my face.

Best moment so far is "Hey, it's Richard Schiff!" being an actual ad break twist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, yeahhhhhhh

Suck it bown 8)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

gently caress it, I'm jumping on board the Manhattan bandwagon. It's super good so far, although I wouldn't recommend it if you're one of those people who hates slow character-focused dramas, in which case I don't even wanna talk to you get outta my face.

Oppenheimer:"Hitler is on the march and Franky wants us to build a weapon to show him what for!"
Feynman: "This project is destroying my marriage. Oh, why must I lose my family to win this damned war!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Yeah, yeahhhhhhh

Suck it bown 8)

i mean leftovers is still a POS but sure

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey Bown, I don't watch Leftovers but your pithy complaining and hyperbole about it whenever people try to talk about it is super annoying.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Basically he seems to bash it just to get a rise out of people, which is getting old.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you're simultaneously severely overestimating the amount I post about The Leftovers and underestimating how much fun it is knowing Occ isn't allowed to talk about it in here

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bown posted:

I think you're simultaneously severely overestimating the amount I post about The Leftovers and underestimating how much fun it is knowing Occ isn't allowed to talk about it in here

Ok so basically it's you being a jackass because you enjoy hassling Occ? Gotcha.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

Yeah, I realized. TBH I was about to delete that post anyway. I'm just having flashbacks to IRQ's rants about GoT "illiterates" which were briefly almost funny and then became really tiresome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, I realized. TBH I was about to delete that post anyway. I'm just having flashbacks to IRQ's rants about GoT "illiterates."

It's cool! Shame GreenNight already got started, though :(

edit: for the record I'm only ever poking fun because nobody could get that upset about someone jokingly throwing shade on a show they don't like, ri-oh wait I forgot where I am

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 6, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Ok so basically it's you being a jackass because you enjoy hassling Occ? Gotcha.

:patriot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Have you ever said to yourself, "I wish I could watch a lovely direct-to-Syfy movie, but I also want to pay for it"?
Well, HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This is why you should be watching True Blood(possibly :nws:)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, I realized. TBH I was about to delete that post anyway. I'm just having flashbacks to IRQ's rants about GoT "illiterates" which were briefly almost funny and then became really tiresome.

That's "The Illiterati" thank you very much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GreenNight posted:

Oh poo poo guys! We've got a serious stick in the mud!

Honestly? Hassling Occ? Its barely loving hassling is it? Occ is a grown adult who I'm sure can handle come smack talk about a TV show dude. He did create an entire thread recently shifting on a show and no one is throwing a fit over it.

Lets just leave The Leftovers for now and lighten up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hrm I thought irc was for this circlejerk bullshit????

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I was talking to a guy at work, and he said "I need to keep busy, there's not enough good tv not to!".

To which I replied "There's tons of great TV these days!"

He said: "My wife and I only watch True Blood, that's it."

So I just gave up and changed the subject.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Is anyone even on the IRC channel? I've forgotten the info.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

I seriously love watching old game shows when I'm too stoned and tired from work to really do anything involving brain cells.

Doesn't stop you from postin though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's weird that despite being the most active poster by a fair bit you're also the most horrified by the idea of actually properly interacting with the other users

• Locked thread