Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Holy poo poo, 5% fee being based on the buyout is going to gently caress up the artifact market bad.

It's the same fee as before, it's just up front. If it doesn't sell it gets returned. At least that's what I read about it, I could be wrong.

edit: oh i found the dev post and they did change it, my bad

Pithos posted:

The auction house fees have changed from being a percentage of the vendor price to a percentage of the buyout (or bid, if bid only) price. The percentages (2.5% to 5%, based on duration) have not changed.

There goes the unstable market.

FruitNYogurtParfait fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

No refunds means no posting. gg trion!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah I have a feeling that gets changed within a couple weeks if the fee isn't currently returned.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rianeva posted:

No refunds means no posting. gg trion!

They are hyping that the patch comes with a years worth of market data, but that data is gonna be pretty useless since it's data from a market where you could list stuff for cheap. Looking at Deadtear's example, it's going to be averaging a years worth of "You can put up this artifact for 1000p at the cost of one silver" and a month of "You have to pay a huge amount of plat to put this artifact up."

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Yeppppppppp, consumables/crafting mats will be stable, rex might be stable, everything else is gonna freefall.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
It's really stupid to add a non-refundable fee.

Also, do people have to actually sell to a buy order, or will a buy order automatically grab things that are posted below that price?

Because it seems like this system is set up really poorly.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Tom Powers posted:

Also, do people have to actually sell to a buy order, or will a buy order automatically grab things that are posted below that price?

I think the latter.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tom Powers posted:

I don't know the answer to that, but I know that creating a buy order has the same 5% fee that gets eaten if the order doesn't get fulfilled. Someone on the forums cancelled a buy order for REX and lost 100p.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Yeah, buy orders check current and new postings and will buy them if they can.

That's not so bad.

The non-refundable fee is hilarious though. It will make a decent plat sink for a week before people figure out all of their 800 plat each for 100 REX postings will never sell and just cost them 4k.

Edit: Since they basically just got rid of the "bid" functionality entirely by recommending Buyout only (and not even having a buyout/bid option, since nobody ever used bids to begin with) they should really just get rid of auction and buy order duration entirely. I'd be perfectly happy with a non-refundable fee then, just post my poo poo and leave it until somebody wants it.

Edit2: Oh wait you can still do buyout/bid. gently caress that though, I think I've had a total of 3 of my auctions ever get bid on, even if the bid is cheaper than other people's buyouts, people want their poo poo now.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 6, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tom Powers posted:

Edit2: Oh wait you can still do buyout/bid. gently caress that though, I think I've had a total of 3 of my auctions ever get bid on, even if the bid is cheaper than other people's buyouts, people want their poo poo now.

I get bids, but only from people mass buying white artifacts to turn into ribbons.

(The only reason I found that out was that one day I got several whispers from different people asking why I put each white artifact as an individual auction instead of a stack since it made it inconvenient for them to mass-buy, haha)

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I get bids, but only from people mass buying white artifacts to turn into ribbons.
That means you were posting artifacts too low. :colbert:

I've been selling a lot of food because I've been able to double my money pretty quickly, I'll post stuffed mushrooms for over a plat buyout and around 60g bid, people will buyout a few stacks per day, nobody has EVER placed a minimum bid on them. I've been doing that for weeks now.

Somebody min bid on an artifact which was super overpriced anyway and some bags I accidentally posted too low bid and the buyout was pretty high and then somebody undercut me. That's all I've ever noticed.

It's been the same way in every game I've played. The opportunity to make money off of the market exists because everyone is super lazy and wants poo poo as soon as possible.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Based on some of the feedback from this thread, as well as internal discussions on it, we'll be making the following changes for next week.

We'll be increasing the maximum number of hours that an auction can last, and be adjusting the pricing accordingly.

Short - 12 Hours - 0.75%
Medium - 48 Hours - 2%
Long - 168 Hours - 5%

~Daglar

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Based on some of the feedback from this thread, as well as internal discussions on it, we'll be making the following changes for next week.

We'll be increasing the maximum number of hours that an auction can last, and be adjusting the pricing accordingly.

Short - 12 Hours - 0.75%
Medium - 48 Hours - 2%
Long - 168 Hours - 5%

~Daglar

That's cool, but what about the loving fee being non-refundable

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Whoa... more than 2 posts in a day. Something must have happened!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

necrotic posted:

Whoa... more than 2 posts in a day. Something must have happened!

It involves the ah, sky is falling.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I don't know what the point of the fee being non-refundable was supposed to be, if it was to help their infrastructure then they'll probably be disappointed when people are spamming trade chat instead.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I'm assuming it was to curb people posting stuff for crazy prices (which are probably fair prices to begin with) and to add in a plat sink.

It's a little late to be adding a plat sink, though, the economy is already screwed.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Tom Powers posted:

I'm assuming it was to curb people posting stuff for crazy prices (which are probably fair prices to begin with) and to add in a plat sink.

It's a little late to be adding a plat sink, though, the economy is already screwed.

It's not even like prices are out of control, epic drop greaters were 5k a year ago, they're running between 2.5 and 5 according to trade spam. Rex are being bought for only 100-200 more than when I quit. Basically they did something stupid to fix a problem that didn't exist

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Thing is, it already takes a cut of the final sale, so there is already a "plat sink." They could have just raised the sale percentage. The only sensible reason to add a percentage-based listing fee is to reduce the number of listings.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know what the point of the fee being non-refundable was supposed to be, if it was to help their infrastructure then they'll probably be disappointed when people are spamming trade chat instead.

They've posted that the reasons are to make it a bigger plat sink and because their server can't handle all the auctions people are putting up right now so they want to discourage "sub-optimal" (their word) auctions.

In other words, the change is to stop people from using the AH. And they have succeeded!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
We're gonna spend a shitload of manhours on good changes to the ah what should we do next? Oh I know, make people not loving use it.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
our servers are garbage so we're going to ruin this feature!!!!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
One good thing came out of this I guess, I had a buy order up for a rex before the ah poo poo itself and I seem to have gotten double the whole fee back.

FruitNYogurtParfait fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 8, 2014

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

deadtear posted:

One good thing came out of this I guess, I had a buy order up for a rex before the ah poo poo itself and I seem to have gotten double the whole fee back.

this was why trion took the AH down, people were abusing this on multiple accounts/characters to make hella plat

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

shut up gelly posted:

this was why trion took the AH down, people were abusing this on multiple accounts/characters to make hella plat

I didn't cancel it or anything, I put up order, came back 2 days later and got double. You'd think that with it expiring after the fixes it wouldn't have happened.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Looking to try out this or ESO. Any thoughts towards one or the other? Besides the obvious F2P vs subscription.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rift, because while Trion has made some bad decisions, it's still more fun than the trainwreck that is ESO.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Xilni ingame as well looking for a guild invite.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
in as Thosehealswhen

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Just made an account named Diqnol.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

KaneTW posted:

Rift, because while Trion has made some bad decisions, it's still more fun than the trainwreck that is ESO.
I will agree with this assessment.

If you want a more in-depth review, I tried ESO and it didn't "grab" me before level 20 - which basically took loving forever. Rift grabbed me REALLY quick, because what I'd call the "tutorial" was short and to the point, they had videos detailing what was actually different in the game, videos you could actually skip if you wanted to and most people do and then ask very basic questions, and there is sooo much stuff to do in it besides the obligatory quest grind.

Rift has pretty good PVE, and that's basically it - ironically, it's more sandboxy than what could have been really successful if it was just loving Skyrim Online. Evidently people don't even PVP anymore in ESO and they're doing a big patch to discourage people from taking turns flipping the "open world" keeps PVE style intentionally for points. So with that in mind, I can't really endorse Rift's PVP (it feels a lot like PVE) but it has ESO beat.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Sub 60 pvp in rift is fun and ok, max level pvp is loving awful and it feels like everyone has the burst of vanilla era warriors but the survivability of actual pve tanks, so if you're not maxed geared you might as well not bother.

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
I'm getting an error when trying to log on:

"Your external IP address has changed since you authenticated. Please exit the game and re-enter your user name and password."

I've answered some authentication email from Trion in my email, changed my password, updated Steam, and tried using the mobile authenticator, but still am getting this error. Googling hasn't turned up much in terms of a substantial solution aside from filling out a support ticket, which I've also done.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

I'm getting an error when trying to log on:

"Your external IP address has changed since you authenticated. Please exit the game and re-enter your user name and password."

I've answered some authentication email from Trion in my email, changed my password, updated Steam, and tried using the mobile authenticator, but still am getting this error. Googling hasn't turned up much in terms of a substantial solution aside from filling out a support ticket, which I've also done.

Log out of Glyph entirely, log back in, profit.

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008

37th Chamber posted:

Log out of Glyph entirely, log back in, profit.

Tried this. Clicking logout at the top of the glyph launcher, re-entering username & password, etc, doesn't get me any further.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Your ISP might be doing something fishy, like a transparent proxy or bonding connections.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Tried this. Clicking logout at the top of the glyph launcher, re-entering username & password, etc, doesn't get me any further.

Go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

And refresh a few times, does it change?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
So I was thinking of using RANDOM.ORG to make a character in this game. I got the idea from an older WoW thread. Basically, everything but the server and my character's gender would be randomly generated by assigning each choice with a number value, putting it in that website, and picking the option based on the outcome.

everything.

Defiant/Guardian: 1-2
Race? 1-3
Appearance? 1-X (click the next arrow for however many times you get in the roll)
Name? 1-x (see above)
Class? 1-4
Souls? 1-? (re-roll if you receive the same number)
How many skill points per soul? 1-61

I think this game lends itself pretty well to this idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with.

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008

deimos posted:

Go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

And refresh a few times, does it change?

On trying to log in the next day I got on first try without issue. I guess my ISP was doing something weird that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badnan
Jun 24, 2005
When east meets west ... it's DEADLY!
Looking for a guild invite. Character name: Phermaoite.

See you all in game!

• Locked thread