Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Shots fired :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

EL BROMANCE posted:

Up until the early 90s, in the UK there was a charity called 'The Spastics Society' which was to aid disabled people. Naturally 'spastic' became a playground insult and they decided to change their name to 'Scope' as you can't really turn that into a slur, can you?

You can. For weeks we just called each other 'Scope Bastards' on the playground instead.

(This causes embarrassment as I know in the US the word 'spastic' isn't a slur at all, and that ended up with a Transformer named 'Spastic' ending up on our shelves. Also the new Weird Al album has it in the lyric I noticed, and of course it became a news piece (didn't know this until I checked just then mind.)

I recently saw a screenshot of Weird Al on twitter and it basically said "hey who knew spastic was considered offensive in england? I didnt and im deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my use of it"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DoctorWhat posted:

If I see one more goddamn Tumblr or Facebook post that throws Myers-Briggs Personality Test jargon around, I'm gonna lose it.

IT'S HOGWASH! IT'S CONFIRMATION-BIAS BULLSHIT!

loving Otherkin piss me off less than people who self-identify as INTJs or whatever bullshit.

I can't remember who said it, but I like the reply when asked what their type was.

quote:

Mine is definitely “human soul reduced to pokemon stat”

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

If we're going to complain about Jontrons tactless use of slurs/words/whatever why not actually post the weird and slightly concerning poo poo he's said.

Like:

What a Cool And Funny Guy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kannonfodder posted:

I can't remember who said it, but I like the reply when asked what their type was.

It was Neil Cicierega, who ususally has the right idea about that stuff.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Yes but who REALLY cares except families of retards and a select few retards themselves

My little brother in law is retarded. No one in either side of the family is offended by the term, it describes his mental aptitude quickly and succinctly as opposed to being all medical/psychological about it.

We all hate "special" way way more. There's nothing "special" about having a brain tumor at a year old. It's a lovely situation that leads to a harsh reality for everyone and trying to dress it up like some kind of gift is both condescending to the kid and offensive to everyone else.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Slickdrac posted:

My little brother in law is retarded. No one in either side of the family is offended by the term, it describes his mental aptitude quickly and succinctly as opposed to being all medical/psychological about it.
The is a big difference between using it to describe your brother in law and using it as a slur.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Leon Einstein posted:

The is a big difference between using it to describe your brother in law and using it as a slur.

The difference is shut up retard

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
As someone with ASD I don't find the word "retarded" quite offensive, but I definitely find the way it's been thrown around so casually in this thread to be callous and annoying.

As Slickdrac noted above, "special" is worse; it's the kind of condescending and talking-down that disabled people deal with every single day. I also find the phrase "aspie" incredibly offensive for this reason despite it being a generally accepted term among the disabled people who like to speak for the disabled. I hate the terms "neurotypical" and "neuroatypical" for the same reason: it's language that reminds us first and foremost that we're not like normal people, that we'll always be different, seen as odd, unable to fit in society. Most of all I hate the social justice crusade to censor the word "retard," because the end goal of that movement isn't even to solve the issue of the mentally disabled being treated like poo poo in society, but rather to just get people to stop saying a word as if that'll magically solve everything. For a group of people who are obsessed with language, social justice types give no shits about actually making good language for the disabled.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

This is incredible. You might be confused with the PYF Funny Pictures thread.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mng posted:

Bring back 'buffoon' and 'ignoramus'.

And galoot!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

omnibobb posted:

I recently saw a screenshot of Weird Al on twitter and it basically said "hey who knew spastic was considered offensive in england? I didnt and im deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my use of it"

Thanks for that.

I must admit that I heard that and was surprised that he used it as it is much more offensive that his usual fare. I know he's been getting a bit more 'naughty' as he gets older, but this was a big step. Now I understand that it not meant that way.

And this is why it is offensive: A cerebal palsey sufferer and Blue Peter - the major children's programme of his time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

quote:

Blue Peter and cultural impact

In 1981, the last year of his life, Joey Deacon was featured on the children's magazine programme Blue Peter for the International Year of the Disabled. He was presented as an example of a man who achieved a lot in spite of his disabilities. Despite the sensitive way in which Blue Peter covered his life, the impact was not as intended. The sights and sounds of Deacon's distinctive speech and movements had a lasting impact on young viewers, who quickly learned to imitate them. His name and mannerisms quickly became a label of ridicule in school playgrounds across the country.

That last sentence is something of an understatement. Kids are cruel.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There are certainly a bunch of people with cognitive disabilities who have spoken out against the casual use of "retarded". I loved the guy who schooled Ann Coulter about it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

spog posted:

Thanks for that.

I must admit that I heard that and was surprised that he used it as it is much more offensive that his usual fare. I know he's been getting a bit more 'naughty' as he gets older, but this was a big step. Now I understand that it not meant that way.

And this is why it is offensive: A cerebal palsey sufferer and Blue Peter - the major children's programme of his time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

That last sentence is something of an understatement. Kids are cruel.

Wow. My grandmother always told me I was "acting like Joey Deacon" and I thought it was just one of her weird old person references like when she used to tell me that my dad looked like Wurzle Gummidge(?).

And I can't speak for disabled people in any way but I'd personally agree with the people saying that bullshit condescending terms "special" and "differently abled" would annoy me more. Being gay, it boils my blood a lot more when people try to prove how accepting they are by appending "and there's nothing wrong with that" when talking about the subject of homosexuality than when idiots use "gay" in the same context where the dumb video game guy used "retarded".

For some content, for context a guy was recently filmed shouting abuse at a bus driver in the city in Taiwan where I live. He was Taiwanese (and pretty clearly Asian even if you didn't know that) but raised and educated in North America so shouted in English with a North American accent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That is some hilarious :ironicat: coming from Kevin Trudeau, convicted huckster and charlatan who got incredibly wealthy off of selling books, magazine subscriptions, and products about "natural" cures.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

canyoneer posted:

That is some hilarious :ironicat: coming from Kevin Trudeau, convicted huckster and charlatan who got incredibly wealthy off of selling books, magazine subscriptions, and products about "natural" cures.

The drug companies only want your money! Open Your Mind! only $29.95 + s&h

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kajeesus posted:

This post is as gay as a black person.

Do tell.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

omnibobb posted:

Just after that happened, I saw a tumblr post talking about it where someone basically said "all he did was say sorry, why did he use the word in the first place? How could he possibly not know how rude it is, everybody knows!"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Takoluka posted:

Is "retarded" really a derogatory slur now?

Only on the internet.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Palisader posted:

Just after that happened, I saw a tumblr post talking about it where someone basically said "all he did was say sorry, why did he use the word in the first place? How could he possibly not know how rude it is, everybody knows!"

I call 50/50 odds that they themselves didn't know it was considered a slur outside of the US until this blew up, then wanted to feel more "enlightened" than the rest of us Neanderthals. :rolleyes:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

canyoneer posted:

The awful thing is it's not even from Kevin Trudeau, it's someone who is constantly spouting cheesy shot about "being the best you can be" that I went to High School with that'll probably end up just like him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kill All Gamers.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Takoluka posted:

Noted. I guess I really don't understand why, though.

I don't think that's really the same thing! And I wasn't even trying to argue the point. I just didn't really understand the situation.

e: Also, was "fag" ever not derogatory?

Fag's a cigarette, mate.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

dregan posted:

Fag's a cigarette, mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwLaSpAYFA

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

A human being is also defined in the dictionary as a "bundle of sticks tied together with string"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You're all a bunch of faggy retards, post more social media poo poo

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Scarf posted:

I visited the URL shown at the bottom of this image. The highly accurate IQ test they offer has seven questions. I got all seven correct, and scored a 130. Apparently, 130 is the highest IQ it is possible to have.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Centripetal Horse posted:

I visited the URL shown at the bottom of this image. The highly accurate IQ test they offer has seven questions. I got all seven correct, and scored a 130. Apparently, 130 is the highest IQ it is possible to have.

Personally I assumed it was a thing where they give you an IQ test, score you super high, give you a link to post your score - which when it shows up on facebook loudly proclaims you have an IQ of 85.

I mean, that's the kind of website I would build.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Personally I assumed it was a thing where they give you an IQ test, score you super high, give you a link to post your score - which when it shows up on facebook loudly proclaims you have an IQ of 85.

I mean, that's the kind of website I would build.

well that's like a B+ right? :downs:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Scarf posted:

"an below avarage IQ"

:golfclap:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

I'm not sure I'd hand over the authority of cancer to people on facebook.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

FrozenVent posted:

"an below avarage IQ"

:golfclap:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Excels posted:

A human being is also defined in the dictionary as a "bundle of sticks tied together with string"

thank you, rodentesque kid in my 7th grade english class.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

As someone with a mid-July birthday I take offense.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

BKPR posted:

thank you, rodentesque kid in my 7th grade english class.

i won't even lie, i was that kid at my school.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's also a kind of meatball, right?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh oh me! I've got one! Posted by my cousin just now

Stops heart attacks in 30 seconds? Probably by increasing the pain because your mouth is on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've had shingles. There is not a goddamn thing on this planet that will dull that pain.

• Locked thread