Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

In a 2 QB league there's still no excuse not to go QB-QB though, right?

Pretty much.

In one league a few years ago nobody else really grasped this and I ended up with Brady and Brees both going over 5000 yards and steamrolling everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Franks Happy Place posted:

I am waiting until laaaaate to pick up a QB this year, barring Rodgers or Brees falling out of their expected bracket. I'm finding crazy value in mocks so far, like "guaranteed to get Romo/Cutler whenever I feel like it" levels of devaluation.

In a 6 pt td league. Late second for Brees or Rodgers is a no brainer yes?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

In Mock's I've seen, they don't make it to the late second, and that was for 4pt PSTD

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Yes, and I'd lean Brees. Lacy is going to score a good sized chunk of those GB touchdowns, whereas I doubt Brees will suddenly stop high-pointing Jimmy Graham in the red zone.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Marshmallow Blue posted:

In Mock's I've seen, they don't make it to the late second, and that was for 4pt PSTD

Didnt think they would either but yea ive consistently gotten either Brees or A-Rod on both FFcalc and ESPN mocks coming back to me at the 4 spot

Yes, and I'd lean Brees. Lacy is going to score a good sized chunk of those GB touchdowns, whereas I doubt Brees will suddenly stop high-pointing Jimmy Graham in the red zone.

Oh yea Brees is a no brainer, ARod im more iffy and may take Gio if hes there or if an elite WR is there.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I like Gio just fine, but I'm not sure about paying a second-round price on him when you can grab Jeremy Hill in the 9th and get a good chunk of those touches at a waaaaay lower price.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Combo posted:

Pretty much.

In one league a few years ago nobody else really grasped this and I ended up with Brady and Brees both going over 5000 yards and steamrolling everyone.

This is the first year we're using keepers in my 2QB league. I'm keeping Brees, and I still have third overall pick. I'm waiting to see who doesn't get kept and is available to me but I'm currently feeling invincible.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Mikey Purp posted:

This is the first year we're using keepers in my 2QB league. I'm keeping Brees, and I still have third overall pick. I'm waiting to see who doesn't get kept and is available to me but I'm currently feeling invincible.

If its 2QB Keeper I would guess every QB1 will be kept.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

I like Gio just fine, but I'm not sure about paying a second-round price on him when you can grab Jeremy Hill in the 9th and get a good chunk of those touches at a waaaaay lower price.

PPR league where the longer the td is the higher the points is the league im looking at him in

yes i know those rules are dumb

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

PPR league where the longer the td is the higher the points is the league im looking at him in

yes i know those rules are dumb

Oh yeah in that case then you want Gio for sure.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys normally set up the timelines for your draft? My LM currently has the draft order to be determined at draft time which does my head in. I'm going to ask him to make him announce the order before hand so we can form strategies, trade picks etc.

Do you announce the draft order before announcing keepers or do you do it the other way around?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

xcore posted:

How do you guys normally set up the timelines for your draft? My LM currently has the draft order to be determined at draft time which does my head in. I'm going to ask him to make him announce the order before hand so we can form strategies, trade picks etc.

Do you announce the draft order before announcing keepers or do you do it the other way around?

There's no reason you shouldn't know keepers and the draft order at least a week ahead of the draft

Unless you have something special planned, like in my family league we're doing a punt-pass-kick competition where furthest distance gets to choose their draft spot

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Both of my leagues usually have a pre-draft rules meeting about 2 weeks before the draft. We vote on proposed rule changes, pick the draft order, talk trades, drink beer and make fun of each others awful teams. Keepers are due to the commissioner 3 or so days before the draft although we have the option to change if a player gets hurt.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I almost always do the draft order the day of the draft. It's fun to announce the draft order while everyone is sitting around getting ready, plus it decreases the chances of people whining about rigged draft orders if you pull the name out of the hat in front of people.

Also I think fantasy football is a complete crap shoot so draft strategies are silly.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I send out a YouTube video of my fiancee pulling the names out of a hat so people stop whining about draft order randomization and can have their draft order ahead of time.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Doltos posted:

I almost always do the draft order the day of the draft. It's fun to announce the draft order while everyone is sitting around getting ready, plus it decreases the chances of people whining about rigged draft orders if you pull the name out of the hat in front of people.

Also I think fantasy football is a complete crap shoot so draft strategies are silly.

You are silly.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

old dog child posted:

I'm actually in the middle of a vote for changing our D/ST settings. Just kidding, I rule with an iron fist.

Here's what I just changed mine to (still finalizing numbers though)

Did you finalise these numbers? I'm after a simple custom solution for removing the Points Allowed scoring due to Pick 6's going against the D/ST. (Preferably something without decimals to increase the chance of the LM accepting the proposal)

EDIT: I assume it's only a touchdown (Points Allowed) goes against a D/ST on an interception or are Yards Allowed affected as well?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
We played poker to determine draft order (winner chooses his draft spot first etc)

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
In redraft leagues, I like the anticipation of not knowing where my draft position will be, so I prefer randomized an hour prior. My argument against knowing weeks in advance is that the first few drafters have an advantage in that they pretty much know what their first position off the board will be, with a lot of surety, so all they really have to strategize for are their second and third picks. Everything after that is too much of a permutation problem to really "target" anyone in any specific round. That combined with the fact that at the turn, you have a good shot of getting your two guys you want, that are available.

Feel free to assail my sensibilities.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

We used the world cup this year to determine our draft spots. Picked our names out of a hat to determine the order you picked a team to win the world cup, then the order our teams finished in determined our draft order. I picked Argentina and got 2nd pick

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Suave Fedora posted:

In redraft leagues, I like the anticipation of not knowing where my draft position will be, so I prefer randomized an hour prior. My argument against knowing weeks in advance is that the first few drafters have an advantage in that they pretty much know what their first position off the board will be, with a lot of surety, so all they really have to strategize for are their second and third picks. Everything after that is too much of a permutation problem to really "target" anyone in any specific round. That combined with the fact that at the turn, you have a good shot of getting your two guys you want, that are available.

Feel free to assail my sensibilities.

Draft pick trading
You can mock different strategies at your spot
You can get a feel for reaches you may have to make in general
Sometimes it helps to know you're hosed beforehand

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Sometimes it helps to know you're hosed beforehand

picking 13th of 16 in my buy the winner a craft beer league

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This is our first year with predetermined draft spots. 5-12 are decided based on where you finished (I'm the champ so I get 12th). The bottom 4 teams did a toilet bowl during the playoffs. The winner gets 4 tickets in the hat, 2nd place gets 2 tickets, and 3 and 4 get 1 each and they'll be picked at the draft.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Spoeank posted:

I send out a YouTube video of my fiancee pulling the names out of a hat so people stop whining about draft order randomization and can have their draft order ahead of time.

For baseball this year we had my friend's 5 year old son pull names out of a hat and announce them and posted that to youtube/the league page.

For football we do a live draft at Buffalo Wild Wings and pull names out of hat that night. You get maybe 15 minutes worth of planning. I'd rather know a bit in advance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
TBH all the planning in the world is basically out the window after the 5th pick in the first round once you see who comes off the board after the big 4 RBs (depending on your scoring/format of course).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spoeank posted:

This, except with my grandmother. Argue with her if you want to you bastards :colbert:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

This, except with my grandmother. Argue with her if you want to you bastards :colbert:

There's no stopping the hell that breaks loose when the commissioner's name comes out of the hat first.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

There's no stopping the hell that breaks loose when the commissioner's name comes out of the hat first.

gently caress You Mimi! I know you've been playing favorites.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

TBH all the planning in the world is basically out the window after the 5th pick in the first round once you see who comes off the board after the big 4 RBs (depending on your scoring/format of course).

First year of that league was like that, which was 2011. First pick that year fell to a guy completely new to fantasy football, so he didn't really understand how drafting for value worked. He just knew he had guys he wanted. First pick of the 2011 draft was Shonn Greene. It owned. I had to talk him out of taking Jason Avant in like the 6th round.

That same guy won our draft last year though, he's learned pretty well.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
von Metternich -- do you check this thread? If so, can I get you to send me an e-mail at my username @gmail.com?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Just a few more slots left on the Free Dynasty league (15 Keepers, 22 players, 7 round new draft picks/yr)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654090&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post432844906

Join here
http://www.hbtd.league.fantasy.nfl.com
Pass: HBTD

Current Slots
1. Marshmallow Blue - Marshmallow Brews
2. Chris de Sperg - Holding Penn
3. Forever_Peace - Ground Control
4. Mystery Player X - Millertime3250
5. KettleWL - KettleWL is bad at team names
6. Harold Cooplowski - Field Goal Frogout
7. Oldskool - Tecmo Bowling for Columbine
8. Wuntvor - Dontrel Dolphins
9. Ben Nevis - Johnny Foosball
10. RCarr - Last Place
12. Old Dog Child - MAYBE

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 6, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Our league did something different this year with draft order (12-team).

For just the first round, we did a NBA-Lottery style picking where the last place team from last year got 12 entries, the second-to-last place got 11, etc.

For the remaining rounds, the order was determined randomly every other round (2,4,6,8, etc). The in-between rounds were reverse order from the previous pick.

So if you got pick 11 in the 2nd, you'd get pick 2 in the 3rd and then the 4th round order would be randomized again with the 5th being a reverse of the 4th and so on.

But Doltos was right so who knows how this draft order will compare to a regular snake:

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
Do you guys have any suggestions for fun things to do at the end of the season with the teams not in the playoffs? If you're not in the playoffs the last few weeks are pretty lame.

One of my coworkers is in a league that has a special game on the last week of regular season play (their league superbowl is the week prior) where a player can put in $10 and create a team from the entire roster of NFL players. Winner gets all. Keeps things interesting for what is typically a pretty boring week. I was thinking of doing the same thing with a family league I'm starting this year.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

RTM posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for fun things to do at the end of the season with the teams not in the playoffs? If you're not in the playoffs the last few weeks are pretty lame.

One of my coworkers is in a league that has a special game on the last week of regular season play (their league superbowl is the week prior) where a player can put in $10 and create a team from the entire roster of NFL players. Winner gets all. Keeps things interesting for what is typically a pretty boring week. I was thinking of doing the same thing with a family league I'm starting this year.

• Start preparing for next year :spergin:
• Begin a crying fiesta on the forums about how much tony romo sucks because he lost you your league. :cry: .
• Go on the Game Day fantasy thread and watch other peoples seasons fall apart. Remember you lost your league before it was the cool thing to do :smug:
EDIT: • Give bad but well defended advice on the Sit/start thread so other people lose their leagues :argh:

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

RTM posted:

I know we do an "all-star" game for the 3rd and 4th place players in Week 17 which is what you describe (every player is available).

Last place has to carry a special title into the following season.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I had a dream about my draft last night where I ended up with Peyton, Megatron and Forte because I drafted with a bunch of idiots. If only my real draft could be like that :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Azhais posted:

That's a bold prediction based on the HoF game. Everyone else this offseason has been saying Woods is the WR1 in Buffalo.

So Marrone basically said that he pushed Woods down the depth chart at the HoF game to make him play harder.

quote:

Coach Doug Marrone implied Wednesday that he was sending Woods a message by not starting him in Sunday's preseason opener, ESPN.com reports. Said the coach, "We know Robert can play three positions for us. We're just trying to figure out what's the best combination that we have out there. When Robert first came to camp, he didn't do that. Not to say he was complacent or not, but I told Robert today, when he plays with that little chip on his shoulder, he's a darn good football player. I said, we need to see you play more with a chip on your shoulder every single day, and I think you'll see that same result as you saw in the game and today."

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Everyone stop posting about Robert Woods, please. I don't want his ADP to rise.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Everyone stop posting about Robert Woods, please. I don't want his ADP to rise.

This, but Jeremy Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Everyone please keep hyping those guys up so they can continue to rise and I can laugh as they sit on people's benches.

• Locked thread