Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Man, Bloomberg software is a hideous piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Something like 30 Bloomberg desktop engineers all left at once and now work for Thomson Rooters. Everyone still laughs that after what must be 20+ years Bloomberg still cannot deliver a stable reliable data feed to clients that works outside their desktop app.

Their jobs sound interesting but I've turned away nearly 20 recruiters already pushing their many, many open positions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Man, Bloomberg software is a hideous piece of poo poo.

The keyboards are nice though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

tango alpha delta posted:

If you are a SOX shop, I'm not sure Skype passes regulations. I know CTO's and CIO's who have vetoed Skype.

There is nothing in the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation that forbids Skype or any other technology. If your company forbids things as part of a control, that's another thing. (It's also dumb: SOX is neither a security framework nor a quality framework.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The keyboards are nice though.

I was surprised by that, especially because I didn't realize at first that it has speakers built into it. That said I feel sorry for the people that have to use this product, even with two 22" LCDs. The UI is from the stone-age.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

I was surprised by that, especially because I didn't realize at first that it has speakers built into it. That said I feel sorry for the people that have to use this product, even with two 22" LCDs. The UI is from the stone-age.

Every financial charting program has a UI that hasn't changed since it was on some kind of mainframe.

Then again, when you're watching tickers, you really only want the symbol, price and the flashing lights to movement, and it's kind of the same for charts.

Now, the back office stuff that a lot of financial companies use is really inexcusable, UI-wise. Of course, a lot of that is literally running on a mainframe so, welp.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Inspector_666 posted:

Every financial charting program has a UI that hasn't changed since it was on some kind of mainframe.

Then again, when you're watching tickers, you really only want the symbol, price and the flashing lights to movement, and it's kind of the same for charts.

Now, the back office stuff that a lot of financial companies use is really inexcusable, UI-wise. Of course, a lot of that is literally running on a mainframe so, welp.
I excuse Bloomberg every day for this reason, but I feel worse for the people who support it. Could you imagine dealing with the users of Bloomberg? Day traders. Definitely worse than sales users (since brokers and agents would also technically be sales users). Or quants/financial product architects, the people who actually make MBS tranches and securitize debt and things.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
PM's who buy domains and then wonder why they don't automatically start getting email for the domain they just purchased. Seriously, if the first thing I hear about your manufactured problem is my boss coming to me and saying "do you know anything about this" I'm not going to be super keen to sort your mess out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lareous posted:

Just to be clear, are there any of you that like your current boss? I just want to make sure there are indeed good ones.

I've really started to hate my job recently because of mine and I've only been there just around 6 months. I don't hate the work, or even hate my coworkers (they are actually all awesome). It's just the boss.

My boss is awesome, she is my biggest cheerleader and defends my time against stupid drive-by development and reporting requests.

Her boss is pretty cool and followed thru with a 10% raise a while ago, which was awesome.

If I could work from home all the time, I would have it made.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ynglaur posted:

There is nothing in the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation that forbids Skype or any other technology. If your company forbids things as part of a control, that's another thing. (It's also dumb: SOX is neither a security framework nor a quality framework.)

I'm not aware of jurisprudence or an SEC decision which says you must, but it's not a huge stretch from "you have to keep all email communication for a given time period" to "electronic communication meant email in 2002, better safe than sorry with new mediums".

It doesn't ban anything. You can use whatever tech you want. But use something with no archival or auditability other than logfiles on workstations at your own risk. It's a safe call.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
loving Christ, OpenLDAP + pwdCheckQuality. I've got an environment that will not correctly reject passwords based on the configured quality checker unless OpenLDAP is running as root, the rest of the configured policy (history, length etc.) works fine but just the complexity check. I've gone through every single file in the entire OS and checked permissions and owners, everything matches a known working environment exactly. OpenLDAP's logging is loving atrocious so I get 4000 lines of logging for every action, not one bit of which is useful in diagnosing any loving thing. In the broken environment a bunch of the logging simply doesn't appear, including you know the PASSMOD operation.

I hate this poo poo so much.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I work for fast food, but I thought you guys would like this. Our POS system records all sales to help us track food products, and we've been trying hard to reduce food loss. Our poor manager in charge of that poo poo found out that our lovely system cant track subs. As in if you add bacon to a sandwich, its not tracked. It just goes right into losses instead. Poor fucker looked so sad.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Aryan Jesus posted:

Seriously, if the first thing I hear about your manufactured problem is my boss coming to me and saying "do you know anything about this" I'm not going to be super keen to sort your mess out.

I hate this and I've been dealing with it lately. A new executive wants to bypass me anytime something needs doing as a way of flexing his dick. I'm happy to prioritize something someone wants to get done quickly, and I'm pretty responsive anyway, but by now he has exhausted the reservoir of goodwill.

CIO has been standing his (and my) ground, which has been nice. "Did anyone call in a ticket for it?" "Well, no."

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow...
So we need to update a lot of user fields in AD. Things like Manager, Title, Department, Phone numbers, etc. I've managed to collect good(as good as it gets anyway) data and get it all into a nice sheet.

But now, I get "I am not comfortable with scripting since our AD is such a mess. Let's go through and update all of these fields by hand."

And the other guys involved agree that running a few lines of very easy to read script against a CSV is just too dangerous and that we should have our process be hand loving editing AD records.

Say sure, let them portion out equally all the work, script your own stuff and then go do something useful for the next four hours while they do it manually.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John Kruk posted:

Great! What percentage was your raise?

What raise? I'm off the phones, i'm saving thousands in counselling costs!

Seriously though I have a pay review in a month i'm just gonna bring it up then, not asking for it right now, i'm psyched to get off the drat phones.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 7, 2014

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Is it normal for the network department to never save the config on routers and switches. Then wonder why the whole network falls apart if the routers and switches reboot or lose power???

Then keep doing this again and again as if they don't learn anything from the last time it happen?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

door.jar posted:

loving Christ, OpenLDAP + pwdCheckQuality. I've got an environment that will not correctly reject passwords based on the configured quality checker unless OpenLDAP is running as root, the rest of the configured policy (history, length etc.) works fine but just the complexity check. I've gone through every single file in the entire OS and checked permissions and owners, everything matches a known working environment exactly. OpenLDAP's logging is loving atrocious so I get 4000 lines of logging for every action, not one bit of which is useful in diagnosing any loving thing. In the broken environment a bunch of the logging simply doesn't appear, including you know the PASSMOD operation.

I hate this poo poo so much.

Does this use cracklib?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

dogstile posted:

What raise! I'm off the phones, i'm saving thousands in counselling costs!

Seriously though I have a pay review in a month i'm just gonna bring it up then, not asking for it right now, i'm psyched to get off the drat phones.

Hope you're happy with the new position even at your current salary, because you ain't gonna get a raise now, I'm afraid. Since you already took the position, you don't have any leverage anymore.

wibble posted:

Is it normal for the network department to never save the config on routers and switches. Then wonder why the whole network falls apart if the routers and switches reboot or lose power???

Then keep doing this again and again as if they don't learn anything from the last time it happen?

No, your network guys are a bunch of idiots if they are literally not even making their configuration settings persistent. What is their justification for doing that, even? Do they just not know how, or do they think it's a bad idea for some crazy reason? "Normal" would be making persistent changes AND backing them up somewhere secure regularly so that you have the configs ready to go in case you need to replace a failed device or reload a config that someone broke.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wibble posted:

Our old network admin was like that, he was dealt with as you would expect....promoted to management and given a fat raise.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My idiot users continue to insist on showing up to their own presentations at the time they are scheduled to start having told no one of their requirements or even the existence of their meeting. I am getting phone calls, voicemails, and emails about a presentation that needs A/V support, which is a problem because they reserved a room with no A/V support. Our online room reservation system tells you exactly what resources are available in every conference room, so they should be forewarned about all this.

The room in question is really a physically separable back half to another room, and was designed as overflow for the front half of the room; there are televisions in that room fed from a computer in that front half. I leave VGA cables in there, though, for exactly this sort of poor planning -- in a pinch the video cable can be disconnected from the TV and a VGA cable can be connected directly to a laptop.

Except somebody cleaning the room seems to have moved them, which is why this morning was a problem. No, I am not going to duck out of the conference call I'm on with the CIO to bring a new cable to your meeting in a different building that you didn't tell me about in a room you shouldn't have booked.

These are minor issues at worst, but I do not understand why no one is capable of the slightest bit of foresight. I show up for every meeting I'm part of at least 15 minutes early in case there are unforeseen problems or delays, especially if I'm presenting, and I do not understand why no one else has this mentality.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dennyk posted:

No, your network guys are a bunch of idiots if they are literally not even making their configuration settings persistent. What is their justification for doing that, even? Do they just not know how, or do they think it's a bad idea for some crazy reason? "Normal" would be making persistent changes AND backing them up somewhere secure regularly so that you have the configs ready to go in case you need to replace a failed device or reload a config that someone broke.

Ha. Our old network admin would at least save his changes, but wouldn't ever back them up. Cue him making and saving 40 different changes over a weekend, then like 6 things break. What did he touch? No one knows.

Absolutely love this new Juniper gear I am working with. On every commit I have it dumping the config to an internal ftp server. It also holds the last 50 configs locally so I can roll back and compare quickly.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wibble posted:

I always make sure the last command I run before "exit" is "wr mem" or the equivalent on whatever platform I'm touching. If I don't do that I get terrible OCD-like anxiety, but in this case it's a functional anxiety, not a disorder.

Also, RANCID owns.

Edit: ^^ And Juniper's CLI. Hell yeah.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

OCD-like anxiety

So speaking of this, does any one else have to stop and look at everything 2-3 times before making service affecting changes? Like if I go to reboot something I have to stop, check to be sure I am in the right system, check to make sure I am within the maintenance window, etc, and then do it again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dennyk posted:

Hope you're happy with the new position even at your current salary, because you ain't gonna get a raise now, I'm afraid. Since you already took the position, you don't have any leverage anymore.

Payment reviews are guaranteed wage increases if I take on more responsibility and I have it in writing :smug:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So speaking of this, does any one else have to stop and look at everything 2-3 times before making service affecting changes? Like if I go to reboot something I have to stop, check to be sure I am in the right system, check to make sure I am within the maintenance window, etc, and then do it again.

Yes, and it's 100% worth it to minimize the chances of a "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION" shitstorm directed at you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sometimes I will send somebody else in my company a message asking a question about something, and their response will be the exact same question just worded differently.

This is very unhelpful.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lareous posted:

Just to be clear, are there any of you that like your current boss? I just want to make sure there are indeed good ones.

I've really started to hate my job recently because of mine and I've only been there just around 6 months. I don't hate the work, or even hate my coworkers (they are actually all awesome). It's just the boss.

From a couple pages back, but of my 4 bosses, 2 of them are absolutely awesome, and a huge part of the reason I enjoy my job.

The other 2 are micromanaging twits who don't actually know what those of us who work for them do.

Glad the former are the ones who actually control the purse strings.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

lazercunt posted:

I excuse Bloomberg every day for this reason, but I feel worse for the people who support it. Could you imagine dealing with the users of Bloomberg? Day traders. Definitely worse than sales users (since brokers and agents would also technically be sales users). Or quants/financial product architects, the people who actually make MBS tranches and securitize debt and things.

They have awesome support if you ever have a problem. Some of it is their requirements, leased lines to the main office and 10K+ a month per terminal fees.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Moey posted:

Ha. Our old network admin would at least save his changes, but wouldn't ever back them up. Cue him making and saving 40 different changes over a weekend, then like 6 things break. What did he touch? No one knows.

Absolutely love this new Juniper gear I am working with. On every commit I have it dumping the config to an internal ftp server. It also holds the last 50 configs locally so I can roll back and compare quickly.

What is even better is going through the configs, and finding out exactly what changed, and more importantly, who did it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

Payment reviews are guaranteed wage increases if I take on more responsibility and I have it in writing :smug:

Quoting this for posterity. Let us know if you get that raise backdated, or if it's even more than a CoL increase.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

evol262 posted:

Does this use cracklib?

It does use cracklib.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tango alpha delta posted:

Are they afraid of Powershell? Because this sounds like the perfect problem for Powershell. You could even suggest that because it's integrated into the server, it's totally safe.

Well, the solution I presented was all Powershell scripts, and I am a pretty huge Powershell fan. It's been something I've been actively learning as much as possible about since I started here.

I want to say I overheard the main guy they hired for Windows server admin stuff say he was a "GUI guy" so there's that(and while I really don't care how people get things done, I'd say this is shortsighted and definitely not in line with where Microsoft is taking server admin, but oh well.)
Also, from the conversation I got the impression that he was blaming the fact that AD data is often incomplete or missing on "scripting" somehow, instead of the fact that there's just not a good provisioning process in place and we rely too much on hand entered stuff with no verification.

I am basically walking back from it now. I presented a solution that no one can say won't work and even a verifiable perfect run test case of updating a single field company wide, but nope. I will let them engineer their own thing for it, but I will fight tooth and nail to keep my team from being involved in hand editing things, because that's dumb.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
<snip>

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 8, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ugh. The higher ups on their own decided one of our locations needed an emergency installation of twelve HD IP security cameras but of course didn't talk to me about it. And what sort of circuit did they get to support external viewing? 1.5/768k.

Now they're freaking out because the stream runs like crap and the CEO might ask to see it on his PC.

:smithicide:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
<snippity-snip>

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 8, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

door.jar posted:

It does use cracklib.

I'm on vacation right now so I can't poke at a system, but I'd check pam, slapd.conf, and the ppolicy schema. Especially pam.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Oh absolutely. It slows me down but I've learned to position it as a "production mentality" and have (either manufactured or earned, I think more of the former) developed a reputation for being the guy to do stuff when you need it perfect. I've outlasted quite a few bosses with a "break things but get poo poo done" mantra and have become quite comfortable with it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Customer has a machine that was new in 2003. Running Windows 2000. Here I am, four and a half hours into trying to coddle this thing back to life. Kill me.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

Customer has a machine that was new in 2003. Running Windows 2000. Here I am, four and a half hours into trying to coddle this thing back to life. Kill me.

How or why did you come to agree to support that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Spazz posted:

How or why did you come to agree to support that?
Because the customer pays the company I work for money for me to support it. My company likes being paid money, I like being employed, I hate this machine.