Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nm posted:

And then you should buy a 993, not a mid 2000s one.

Nobody will be able to afford a 993 in three years as all of them will have turned in to garage queens or wrapped around trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Anyone have personal experience with the following SUVs that can weigh in on my decision?

Will be used as a daily driver for wife's commute to work (~8,000 miles per year).

Would consider used 2013-2014 model years or new 2014-2015:

Kia Sorento
Hyundai Santa Fe
Nissan Pathfinder

I love the Kia and Hyundai warranties so the Nissan is already third on my list. We haven't test driven any of these vehicles yet but I wouldn't mind knocking one out of the running and narrowing the decision down to two for further research and comparison.

fruition fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 29, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Keep in mind the KIA/Hyundai warranties don't fully transfer unless you buy it new.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Same situation as probably dozens of people in this thread:

Josh Wow posted:

I'm currently in a situation where I have to make the decision whether I want to put money into my current car to try and keep it running for a while longer, or to sell it now while it's still running and buy a newer used car.

Car repairs plus scheduled maintenance will cost me about the value of my 2006 Subaru Forester with 130k miles ($2500-4000, depending on how much I care about the catalytic converter and the ~purity of my brake fluid~). At first, I thought this made my decision easy: gently caress that, get another car. But I'm a little shocked by the price of used cars.

What I'm looking for: sedan, wagon, or hatchback with less than about 70k miles. Prefer a fuel efficient model. Prefer one made in 2008 or later.

What I'm using it for: Mostly driving to work, occasional interstate business trips. I'm not after luxury.

Budget: I figured I'd get, say, a 2008 or 2009 Civic for under 10k easily, but I guess I was pretty far off base. So here I am! I could use car recommendations and a reality check on prices.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 29, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Keep in mind the KIA/Hyundai warranties don't fully transfer unless you buy it new.

As I've never bought a brand new car I haven't dealt with that. Does KIA offer the same warranty as Hyundai?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

at the date posted:

Same situation as probably dozens of people in this thread:

Car repairs plus scheduled maintenance will cost me about the value of my 2006 Subaru Forester with 130k miles ($2500-4000, depending on how much I care about the catalytic converter and the ~purity of my brake fluid~). At first, I thought this made my decision easy: gently caress that, get another car. But I'm a little shocked by the price of used cars.

What I'm looking for: sedan, wagon, or hatchback with less than about 70k miles. Prefer a fuel efficient model. Prefer one made in 2008 or later.

What I'm using it for: Mostly driving to work, occasional interstate business trips. I'm not after luxury.

Budget: I figured I'd get, say, a 2008 or 2009 Civic for under 10k easily, but I guess I was pretty far off base. So here I am! I could use car recommendations and a reality check on prices.
Subaru Forester, non-turbo I assume? What exactly do you need to replace? I suspect the BFC answer is keep the Forester. If you just want a new car, great, but unless you have rust cancer or a clear lemon, that car has another 130k in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What kind of remaining warranty would a 2012 Fiesta have on it? Was Ford doing 7 year/100,000 on them in 2012?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
When did Ford every have a 7 year warranty on anything?

VW does do a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty on the Toureg. I seem to recall it being transferable but I don't know because The VW website is about as useful as their cars.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rhyno posted:

What kind of remaining warranty would a 2012 Fiesta have on it? Was Ford doing 7 year/100,000 on them in 2012?

Ford from the factory is a standard 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain. CPO vehicles are extended to 4/48 bumper to bumper or 12/12 if over 36k miles and 7/100 powertrain. The CPO program recently changed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skipdogg posted:

Ford from the factory is a standard 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain. CPO vehicles are extended to 4/48 bumper to bumper or 12/12 if over 36k miles and 7/100 powertrain. The CPO program recently changed.

That's what confused me. I've found four Fiestas that meet the criteria in the area, but each one has conflicting warranty information.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

nm posted:

Subaru Forester, non-turbo I assume? What exactly do you need to replace? I suspect the BFC answer is keep the Forester. If you just want a new car, great, but unless you have rust cancer or a clear lemon, that car has another 130k in it.

Yes, non-turbo. I'm leaning toward keeping it at the point, too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Throatwarbler posted:

When did Ford every have a 7 year warranty on anything?

VW does do a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty on the Toureg. I seem to recall it being transferable but I don't know because The VW website is about as useful as their cars.

I knew someone with a Toureg, it was pretty much a dumpster fire, so that makes sense.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Proposed Budget: About $25k. We could go up to $30k if we need to, but obviously cheaper is better.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Mid-size SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work (40 miles roundtrip), occasional 200+ mile trips across the state, getting around town, tailgating. We'll be buying a boat in the next year or two, so towing will be necessary.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, comfort, and MPG. I understand that MPG is going to take a hit since we're coming from a 4 cylinder to presumably a V6 for towing reasons.

My wife just totaled her 2007 Kia Sportage, so we're in the market for something new. We had been talking about selling it in the next couple of years so that we could get something that could tow a boat, so we're going to go ahead and get something now that can pull things. We really liked her Sportage, so the Sorento is high on our list, as is the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Honda Pilot, and Nissan Pathfinder. I grew up in a family that owned Toyotas almost exclusively until we got burned by a lemon Sequoia so I'm a little wary to check out the Highlander, but I could be convinced. We're looking at buying something used from the past couple of years, but if the price was really right we'd consider something new. Is there anything else we should be looking at?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How big of a boat?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

skipdogg posted:

How big of a boat?

16-17 feet, probably. We'll just be running it around the neighborhood to the boat landing and gas station.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ford Flex/Explorer should be on your list, the newer unibody ones.

The more recent Jeep Grand Cherokees are very nice as well. Your price range should get you in to a decently nice example that's only a couple years old. If you can find one with the 8-speed auto, that would be your best bet. In fact, you could get a new Laredo 4x4 with the 8-speed for right around 30k, and that would come with a nice warranty. If it were my money, that's what I would do.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Proposed Budget: $10k
Body Style: Compact 2 or 4 door sedan, can go hatchback if necessary
How will you be using the car?: To and back from work, daily driver, occasional lifting of large awkward objects
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No not really
What aspects are most important to you? Handling, I should be able to turn a corner without struggling.

I really like my Mazda 3 2004 but it's slowly dying a good death. I was thinking of either getting another Mazda 3 Hatchback or a 2009~ Golf GTI.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

The Human Cow posted:

Proposed Budget: About $25k. We could go up to $30k if we need to, but obviously cheaper is better.
Body Style: Mid-size SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work (40 miles roundtrip), occasional 200+ mile trips across the state, getting around town, tailgating. We'll be buying a boat in the next year or two, so towing will be necessary.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, comfort, and MPG. I understand that MPG is going to take a hit since we're coming from a 4 cylinder to presumably a V6 for towing reasons.

How about an old Toyota pickup? You could nickname it "The Awesomemobile." I think a Sorento would be a nice cheap option but I've heard good things about the Grand Cherokee as KYOON mentioned.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sharparoni posted:

How about an old Toyota pickup? You could nickname it "The Awesomemobile." I think a Sorento would be a nice cheap option but I've heard good things about the Grand Cherokee as KYOON mentioned.

I imagine it would be awesome until you had to do any stopping. Old compact truck drum brakes + trailer + boat = non stop amusement.

Right now amongst midsize SUVs, all the FWD stuff is rated for around 3500lbs, while RWD stuff (GC, Durango, 4Runner, German trucks, Land Rovers) is around 7500lbs. A GC or Durango would be the best on paper and will probably drive the best too but I would not have very high expectations for reliability especially anything with air suspension.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford Flex/Explorer should be on your list, the newer unibody ones.

The more recent Jeep Grand Cherokees are very nice as well. Your price range should get you in to a decently nice example that's only a couple years old. If you can find one with the 8-speed auto, that would be your best bet. In fact, you could get a new Laredo 4x4 with the 8-speed for right around 30k, and that would come with a nice warranty. If it were my money, that's what I would do.

What's the reputation of the new Grand Cherokees reliability wise? My friend bought a new one last year and it's constantly been in and out for repair for electronic gremlins/transmission issues. Is his just a bad egg?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Sharparoni posted:

I am still bitter about having to sell the Awesomemobile and don't appreciate you dredging up memories of it :(

Thanks for the advice, guys. After adding the Flex and GC to the list, we ended up finding a great deal on a loaded 2013 Sorento, so now it's sitting in our driveway :toot:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I couldn't find a better thread to post this in so please don't throat punch me if this is the wrong place.

My 16yo needs a car. A vendor I work with just got a new sales car. They are selling his old one, an '07 Impala w/180k for $1200.

It for sure needs a windshield, brakes, rotors, struts and tires, I'm thinking that's another $1200 total which is no problem. I can do brakes, rotors, plugs, wires, battery, that sort of thing myself but I don't really have the wherewithal to go much deeper than that.

He also says the tranny "slips", my local tranny shop will evaluate it for not much, is I worth the effort here or should I run away? I've never had trans issues on any vehicle I've owned so I'm mostly curious what they'll be able to tell me.

TIA

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It sounds like a poorly-maintained money pit that is reaching the end of its practical life.

Also I think you are way lowballing it at $1200 for a windshield, a full brake job, all new struts and bushings, and a set of new tires (plus mounting, balancing, and alignment) unless you buy really cheap parts and do ALL of the work yourself. Plus the pretty-much-necessary transmission rebuild will be at least a grand I bet. And that's just the things you know about.

IMO it's not worth dumping that much money and effort into a beat up Impala that is nearing 200k that was, at best, a "meh" car from the factory.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 5, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeahhhh I wouldn't sink a cent into a 180k mile Impala that has deferred maintenance all over it - if you know it needs all of those things, there's probably more that it needs that you don't know yet. With a transmission on its way out there's really not much there that's worth anything.

Also, sales car - meaning this was a company car? I'm surprised it went 180k being treated like a rented mule without dying.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Ok, I was about 60/40 that way anyway, thanks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Make sure your god drat kid pays for the car is my only piece of advice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Make sure your god drat kid pays for the car is my only piece of advice.

It's a lovely time to be a teenager, there aren't $500 beaters that will drive for 6+ months with no work past replenishing their leaking fluids anymore.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Proposed Budget: up to ~15k
New or Used: used, looking to buy from a dealer in SoCal
Body Style: coupe
How will you be using the car?: daily driver, only a ~20mi commute there and back
What aspects are most important to you?: Looking for a fun to drive car that looks nice, 2nd car for me.

Thanks

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

unterdude posted:

How will you be using the car?: daily driver, only a ~20mi commute there and back
What aspects are most important to you?: Looking for a fun to drive car that looks nice, 2nd car for me.

Thanks

Congratulations on your Miata.

e: Perhaps that's overly reductive, but yeah it ticks all of your wants and you can get a very nice one for <$15k. Go drive one and see if you like it. Others can probably point you toward american options if that's your thing.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

unterdude posted:

Thanks

Miata, RX8 or Mustang depending on your preference for convertible top/mullets/fuel economy/comfort in your own sexuality.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Yeah, I knew I was going to get answers in the Miata/Mustang/Mazda camp, but I just wanted to see what reasons you guys would give as to the recommendation. How's the reliability on the 2010-12 Mustangs? BTW, whats the opinion on the VW GTI? Is the reliability of the VWs still questionable?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Miata, RX8 or Mustang depending on your preference for convertible top/mullets/fuel economy/comfort in your own sexuality.

At that price you can also look at S2000s.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got an automatic 2001 Impala I'm getting sick of (mostly because of the goddamn Passkey system making it not start for the last week) that I need to do some repairs on, so I'm thinking of selling it and buying something else once I get it moving again.

A friend of mine has a manual Honda Civic coupe that I like, so I'm leaning towards that car and learning to drive stick, since it shouldn't be too much of a transition since I'm so used to driving a clutch on my motorcycle. I'm still not sure though. I need to go out and do some test drives before I start trawling for sale by owner cars.

So, including selling my Impala, I'm looking at:

Proposed Budget: ~6k or so?
New or Used: Used, probably from a private seller
Body Style: coupe (i'm not against a sedan though, just prefer a coupe)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver in the winter, less so in the summer (I have a motorcycle I ride a lot), 20 miles non-highway to work. Occasional longer drives to visit family up I-75.
What aspects are most important to you?: Smaller car than an Impala, good on gas, manual transmission, prefer front wheel drive, not terrible to work on myself.

What are some other models I might want to look at? I've never really paid much attention to what's available, since I've always had cars that my dad has found for me up until now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

plester1 posted:

At that price you can also look at S2000s.

Or Z4s. Or BRZs if they've depreciated enough already. Maybe E46 M3s.

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions given so far, it's really down to the preferences between the different philosophies of sports car design and tradeoffs you're willing to make.

Miata: Cheapest, reliabliest
RX8: 4-door coupe, cool rotary engine
Mustang: powaaa
S2000: vtec yo
Z4: I6 goodness, comfort/interior
BRZ: a more practical miata coupe, as far as I can tell
M3: it's the M3

But really go drive them yourself and see what you prefer. I love my NB Miata but if I had more money to spare, I'd consider the BMWs or the S2000, probably. Comedy option: FD RX7.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

How can I get a rough estimate of maintenance cost on older cars that were luxury vehicles when new?

Currently driving a 3 door '03 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa, thinking about changing to a mid/full size, 5 door saloon, hatch or estate. Something roomier with 5 doors and a bit of poke.

I see lots of BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lexus cars with less than 100k miles, 8-15 years old for £2000 - £3000. It's pretty tempting, but I wonder if the reason they're so cheap is because they break constantly in ways that cost 50% of the cost of the car each time.

Is there a good website to get an idea of what to expect? Some monthly budget = (new price * x)+(age of car * y) rule of thumb?

Would something like this be a guaranteed bottomless money pit?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a reason 3 series is considered to be for poors :). Yes, it's going to be significantly more expensive than a Corsa, but nothing like a 7-series or a V8 Audi or V12 twin turbo S-class. From what I've seen, the only major weakness in the E46s is the cooling system that needs an occasional refresh, and isn't crazily expensive. It would help if you could so some of the work yourself too. I don't have any formulas, but check your local part store and compare the Corsa and 3-series parts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

unterdude posted:

BTW, whats the opinion on the VW GTI? Is the reliability of the VWs still questionable?

Opinions are still very mixed. There were some bad years for VWs in general and Golf/GTI in particular, but those were two generations ago. They still do not rate very high on surveys for reliability... but you should understand that all modern cars are way more reliable than cars built 20+ years ago. "Reliability" these days has more to do with annoying issues with the huge number of electronic systems in cars these days (like, a bad door sensor causing the alarm to go off) rather than poo poo like "the transmission dies after 10k miles" or "this car's head gaskets are made of toilet paper."

So yeah, if you like the GTI, it's not a bad car to own. If you buy a new one you can get those niggling things fixed for free at the dealership under warranty. If you look at used ones, avoid the early MkIVs (say, 1999-2003 or 2004 or so) and avoid the VR6 in those earlier models in particular.

But actually GTIs seem to hold their value extremely well, so this is one of those rarer cases where if you can afford it I'd suggest a new one over a lightly-used one. Or go true old-school and get a MkII or MkIII GTI from the early-mid 90s, if you're looking for a fun project car hot hatch.

On the other other hand, if you want a hot hatch, you need to be cross-shopping Fords, because the Focus hatch is amazing right now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

unterdude posted:

Yeah, I knew I was going to get answers in the Miata/Mustang/Mazda camp, but I just wanted to see what reasons you guys would give as to the recommendation. How's the reliability on the 2010-12 Mustangs? BTW, whats the opinion on the VW GTI? Is the reliability of the VWs still questionable?

With the GTI its more because dual clutch gearboxes are still kind of dodgy and turbo engines are going to need more careful maintenance. If you get a manual transmission and read up on the quirks of the turbo engine you can head off most of the problems before they happen and it shouldn't be much worse than any other used performance car.

WIth Mustangs 2011 was the year they went to more or less a completely new car so 2011+ are obviously much better than 2010, but even then the earlier cars aren't slow and the 4.6l GT will run with contemporary WRX STis and what not on a flat track, so they should be plenty fast for the majority of people on the street and for the right price can be a decent fun car. The newer models in the earlier years had some teething problems with the new 6 speed transmission too so the older model would be more reliable too.

I'll throw in that if you buy a mint condition stock S2000 or Lancer Evolution right now you can probably sell it in 5 years for more than you paid today.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A 15k S2000 won't be anywhere close to mint. It'll be a ratted out shitpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Leperflesh posted:

On the other other hand, if you want a hot hatch, you need to be cross-shopping Fords, because the Focus hatch is amazing right now.

The Fiesta ST might drive even better than the Focus ST, although it's quite a bit smaller. They're both really good.