Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my car has infinite gears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pram posted:

i drove a cvt fit the other day. it was the first cvt equipped car ive driven and i was duly impressed. way better than aregular slushbox

id still rather have a proper manual, personally

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pram posted:

there's still a finite number of atoms in the cones that drive the belt

i don't think you "get" infinity

pram
Jun 10, 2001
infinite > 6

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

there's still a finite number of atoms in the cones that drive the belt

i don't think you "get" infinity

but the atoms can move around at a finer increment than "one atom"
lik ethe universe isnt a grid?
there are infinite steps between each atom, and infinite more between one end and the other

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

but the atoms can move around at a finer increment than "one atom"
lik ethe universe isnt a grid?
there are infinite steps between each atom, and infinite more between one end and the other

nice try, zeno

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Zeno's Paradox of Gear Ratios

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
cvts can go just as fast in reverse unless they are poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

cvts can go just as fast in reverse unless they are poo poo

for a second, i was trying to figure out what current vt status meant

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
current variable transmission status, obviously

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

cvnt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the universe on a grid and would we even know i mean there is that world-smallest-distance and that dude also snagged worls shortest time and something else. hoggin all the small poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2RYhNhBdw

n-v-t-s is still one of my all-time favorite jokes for some stupid reason

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

is the universe on a grid and would we even know i mean there is that world-smallest-distance and that dude also snagged worls shortest time and something else. hoggin all the small poo poo

do you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length#Theoretical_significance

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i don't understand why people think the plank length means the universe is made out of voxels

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

i don't understand why people think the plank length means the universe is made out of voxels

please explain; i guess i kind of think that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i literally, actually do not understand

it seems wrong to me but thats based on my dumb intuition of the universe being a more elegant place than that, not physicsfacts

i guess electricity comes in discrete packets so why not movement

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
well they're voxels with a timedimension to them, instead of pure space.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

i literally, actually do not understand

it seems wrong to me but thats based on my dumb intuition of the universe being a more elegant place than that, not physicsfacts

i guess electricity comes in discrete packets so why not movement

my brain doesn't like the thought that the planck time means that there actually are "frames" in the movie that is our life, as opposed to a continual flow

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i ssh to a school workstation often. gedit behaves fine over x forwarding, but sometimes i also need to run eog. the thing is, though, is that eog can't find the display, even when i force run eog --display=$DISPLAY. this problem occurs, mind you, when other x stuff, like xeyes and gedit, are running and forwarding just fine. help!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well I never got xenserver's HA to work right, which I guess is because it's just not designed to work with less than 3 hosts in the pool?? it says it does but it doesn't, when I tried looking at the log file it just endlessly kept trying to find the other host.

but I tried HA-Lizard, which I was wary of at first because it requires some command line config (I have to keep things so monkeys can maintain it) but it does what I need to do (restart a VM on another server if the server goes kablammo) and I can recommend it for smaller set ups!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Um just for clarity. I have 2 surplus HP machines running XenServer configured as a pool. Each is running a Debian VM with DRBD/TGT/Pacemaker to create an iSCSI target with failover capability. Agile VMs can use this as their storage and run on either host. HA-Lizard takes care of restarting VMs if a host goes down. So I have got a redundant cluster that isn't nearly as good as a real solution with like 4 hosts and a dedicated storage cluster but it's better than running an old windows 2000 server under a leaky pipe.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well poop, my slave server still won't promote itself to master on its own if the master goes down. idk how to fix

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your setup sounds truly terrible. you have a domU serving iscsi to the dom0? lol just buy a cheap synology, you're setting whoever you're doing this for up for certain doom

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this place is already doomed

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what was the problem with gluster? ovmm can use nfs as pool storage, and im pretty sure citrix's poo poo can too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

when I tried gluster/nfs xenserver would consistently lose access to the share in a simulated failover. I couldn't find anyone else using it who had posted their config so I gave up on it. iSCSI works just fine

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram

Silver Alicorn posted:

this place is already doomed

Nick a cable before you leave

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh well of course it isnt going to work with straight nfs because the glusterFS daemon w/ the fuse mount is the portion that handles redundant connections to the bricks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your problem is funny because HA between two servers is easy poo poo

but HA between two hypervisors where the storage is virtualized w/ rube goldberg fencing is rly lovely so my solution is to buy a filer god bless

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

xenserver doesn't have glusterfs by default and adding it to the dom0 just mounts it as local storage so you can't use it to run an agile VM

anyway I'm doing this because our domain controller is just 1 machine so if it goes down someone has to go to the office and rebuild it from a backup or w/e. we ended up with some spare iron that could run xenserver so I've been going through options, ideally I'd wanna get the shared storage on dedicated hardware when the budget allows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so why are you virtualizing it ... ??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk man I've got 2 test rigs and I need like 3 or more things running, also this is part of my side project of evaluating xenserver as a replacement for vsphere so it's a lil compilcated

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so youre telling me you literally dont have one single spare box to run nfs or iscsi on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I work at a little tech school with < 20 employees

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so yes, unless I go commandeering machines from the classrooms and that is problematic

i'm lucky these even have hardware virt

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

reminder that my school literally bought the last batch of pentium 4 optiplexes from dell

pram
Jun 10, 2001
holy poo poo you are lying to me. you want me to believe you cant serve nfs (literally the easiest thing to set up) or iscsi from ANYWHERE in your 'tech school' and you need to set up virtualized storage fencing inside the hypervisor

just admit you're learning pacemaker and drbd for shits and giggles

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

reminder that my school literally bought the last batch of pentium 4 optiplexes from dell

10 years ago tho, right?

right????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just use whatever machine youre posting on right now to serve nfs. do it from inside virtualbox