Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is it worth it to buy one of the big DDO store tomes? I see they're on their last day of sale today, and the price is, to put it mildly, high. Is the +5 to all stats worth it, or is it something you should earn ingame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I would recommend earning those in game, getting up to +4 isn't that difficult anymore, and +5's are becoming more and more common after every +2 loot weekend.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
As someone who has had terrible luck with tomes and lacks patience, I would say its worth it to buy a tome if you're planning on doing a build with pretty strict stat requirements for feats etc. But I would recommend the +3 or +4 versions not +5. Any tomes someone sells you in game is likely to be very expensive.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Also they changed the current plan to 5 Melee Power for each innate and 5 for each epic level, with Blitz giving 175. That's still a 55% damage increase for being in another maxed out destiny at level 20. Have to see how it plays out on Lammania when the get that up.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Mabar isn't far away, if it's anything like last years you should be able to pull 2-3 +5 tomes.

With the change of blitz to no longer needing to air swing 50 times or kill anything to keep charges they've actually made blitz even more of a no brainer. Was looking forward to having fun in shadowdancer and not feeling gimped, but 6d6 SA +75MP compared to +250MP and all the other DPS adds is laughable.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Yeah, it is really disappointing that they backed down on redistributing some of that melee power so quickly, especially since it seems to be based large on feedback from people who haven't done any testing, and are almost exclusively blitzers who don't want non blitzers catching up to them in dps, or are casters who see any melee buff as the devil.
They claimed their intent was not to buff melee, but to provide an alternative to blitzing and these changes really fall short of that, not to mention how blitzing itself is more convenient and better than ever.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Woden posted:

Mabar isn't far away, if it's anything like last years you should be able to pull 2-3 +5 tomes.

I thought there was an 1 tome per character limit for those?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

I thought there was an 1 tome per character limit for those?

TRing reset that limit as did using any(I think) heart of wood, not sure if eTRs or +0 hearts will do as I used a +1 and just TRed back to level 1 to nab 3 tomes.

Woden fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 1, 2014

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Woden posted:

TRing reset that limit as did using any(I think) heart of wood, not sure if eTRs or +0 hearts will do as I used a +1 and just TRed back to level 1 to nab 3 tomes.

Oh drat, guess I should prepare for that!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I love this game to death and it crushes me that every time I try to come back I inevitably have to quit because there's basically no-one on at all in Oceanic timezones.

Is there a proper official/unofficial southern hemisphere server now?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Believe that's still just Khyber. Could maybe try Psychopathic Saints if you wanna stay on Argo though.

Also our sorc build is pretty fun:

VIP skipped Madstone cause gently caress that place in general. Did the black and white dragons on EE, didn't bother trying blue since it's pretty much complete bullshit. No Tor loot of course. Did get an Arkat's Cord and Quiver of Poison outside of that though.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 2, 2014

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Brain In A Jar posted:

I love this game to death and it crushes me that every time I try to come back I inevitably have to quit because there's basically no-one on at all in Oceanic timezones.

Is there a proper official/unofficial southern hemisphere server now?

Sup Oceanic buddy! I'm on the Australian east coast, and Firefall is getting a little repetitive so I'll be putting a bit more time in to DDO again. Agreed that Argo is a little bit quiet at nights. I'm currently level 16, so if you're around that level we can group up for some poo poo.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Believe that's still just Khyber. Could maybe try Psychopathic Saints if you wanna stay on Argo though.

I tried to talk to those guys, but they don't seem to be recruiting people.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gammon posted:

Sup Oceanic buddy! I'm on the Australian east coast, and Firefall is getting a little repetitive so I'll be putting a bit more time in to DDO again. Agreed that Argo is a little bit quiet at nights. I'm currently level 16, so if you're around that level we can group up for some poo poo.

Also Australian, I play on Cannith and it's dead in the afternoon. Things pick up later though when all the Europeans get on, if you're a night owl I think Gland would be the place to go as it took in a ton of Europeans after the last server merge.

Elswyyr posted:

I tried to talk to those guys, but they don't seem to be recruiting people.

The new guild changes suck, better off with a 6 person guild than recruiting cool people.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

VIP skipped Madstone cause gently caress that place in general.

I am glad it is not just me who hates that place with a burning passion.

I am enjoying the build, and even considering coming back to it after I am all done with completionist lives. I was thinking when they make the armor changes to give mrr and more prr that it might be worth it to take adamantine body, and grab one of those 30/60 DR/epic docents. That could end up putting the prr up near 90 or so, with all that extra DR and displacement.

I also went ahead and made some tier 1 thunderforged weapons last night, they are ml24 and they only have spell power on them, but they were under 100k in mat cost to make, and they have 100 potency or 150 combust/impulse. The ml 26 are a good deal more expensive, but add +6 evocation focus. I made them throwing weapons so I can use pin/whistler for no save helplessness.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Madstone is a little annoying, but I don't hate it. It's just annoying with having to wait for the waves of poo poo to spawn while defending the giants, but with a group it's not so bad. Crucible I've still yet to do, but I VIP skip it for the saga each time.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Did you buy everything outright? Last I was poking around it was over a million or ridiculous amounts of Astral shards just to get that far.

And I used to be more okay with Madstone. Not bring able to invis the Giants in epic makes if way more irritating with non healing classes. A base heal scroll does a sliver of their life since they have no amp. I appreciate the ramps so you can get up there and melee or get a better view but that portion of the quest is just way less fun this way.

On top of that, it's just long and big and feels like a slog. You're not seeing anything interesting after the second defense wave. Which is the best designed section in theory and should have been the only protect part.

I do like the hidden skeleton ancient mages and the key in the lava and the end fight is okay, chaos ball is funny but not often fun sadly. It's either completely ignorable or it just hosed you up bad (and potentially your run solo or small group).

Also if doesn't help they massively nerfed the experience there (and in PoP), which makes it feel unrewarding.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 3, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The price of fire and shadow dragon scales has really come down over the past 2 or 3 weeks, you can get 100 for under 300k no problem now, which is what it takes in some combination to upgrade from t1 to t2. t3 requires the rare bop raid drops, but are useless for leveling anyways.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
More strayans checking in from Argo (though I play at pretty weird times).

Is there any similar clueless dumbasses like me playing the game for the first time? Level 3 and trying to do things at my own pace with a probably suboptimal build, could use a buddy.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Probably not right now, but ask away with your questions! The complete lack of PvP and open nature of builds seems to encourage people to be helpful for some reason, and it's one of the few MMOs that tends to get more interesting the more you play it, not less (in my experience/opinion anyway). Stick with it, the game is totally worth it even if the first couple of levels are either a struggle or boring.

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Kablammo posted:

More strayans checking in from Argo (though I play at pretty weird times).

Is there any similar clueless dumbasses like me playing the game for the first time? Level 3 and trying to do things at my own pace with a probably suboptimal build, could use a buddy.

I'm pretty clueless and wouldn't mind someone to figure out the ropes with, honestly. I'm a level 3 druid right now but totally down with rerolling whatever (severe indecision is kind of my thing in these sorts of games) if something else would work better in a group.

I'm a night owl so my hours are likewise pretty messed up. You can try hitting me up as "Dermitica" when you're on next time. On right now, in fact. I've yet to be in a group with real human people, so it might be fun to try :P

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sometimes Turbine support is not only willing to assist, but is able to actually assist with a screwy problem caused by a dumb oversight in a system desperately in need of overhaul:

So protip, don't use a Bladeforged to try and get around a Barbarian life, since Barbarian's can't be lawful, reincarnation doesn't let you change your alignment, and you can't even use a purchased alignment change mid-reincarnation since the Bridge isn't a tavern, and due to some exploit (I assume) you can't change your alignment outside of a tavern.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was reading in the known issues of the patch notes that you still can not use + hearts on a three class split to replace one of the classes with a new class, as it counts this as a fourth class, which is impossible. So it looks like to go from 16/2/2 to whatever barbarian build, you have to first use +3 to clear out paladin levels, then use an alignment changes, then use the +20 three days later. Quiet the hassle. Fortunately for me, I am looking forward to my barbarian life. Sadly it may be a while before I get around to it, I just ETRed and now the idea of level back to 28 as the same build, even though it is a good build, without any first time running bonuses is rather unappealing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How many goons still play this dumb game?

I liked what I saw of it a year or so ago, and was willing to sub for a month or two to see most of the content. None of my friends were willing to stick around/sub though, so I ended up getting bored ( since most of the game seems to be about entering dungeons and doing DnD adventures, and those are kind of hard solo ) and quitting before I even left the fighting fishpeople phase.

Is the game still active/has it become more solo friendly? Are there enough goons to justify buying the expansions to play through those? Are they still supporting the game?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They've been doing the same update speed since F2P, a major update every 3-4 months with smaller fix patches and occasional features in between. There's not a lot of goons playing at any given time. Though there are two new ones playing super late night/early morning US lately. Level 3-5 I think.

The game has been easy to solo for a long time, normal is trivial for almost any build. Doubly so with all of our guild buffs. Hard is where you'll usually feel challenged as a newer player. Elite is real rough if you're new.

The expansion are mostly late game content. If you're 20 and wanna keep playing you want Menace. I like Wheelon and Storm Horns content but you can put off Shadowfell for a long time.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 7, 2014

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010

DemonMage posted:

They've been doing the same update speed since F2P, a major update every 3-4 months with smaller fix patches and occasional features in between. There's not a lot of goons playing at any given time. Though there are two new ones playing super late night/early morning US lately. Level 3-5 I think.

As one of the stupid newbies, feel free to come join us as we run around sucking and dieing. This game is a lot of fun in a group of morons.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Kablammo posted:

As one of the stupid newbies, feel free to come join us as we run around sucking and dieing. This game is a lot of fun in a group of morons.

This is a statement I can get behind.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Its pretty awesome when you realise some quests have ways of letting you murder your whole group. Repeatedly.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.

Gammon posted:

Its pretty awesome when you realise some quests have ways of letting you murder your whole group. Repeatedly.

I'm personally pretty fond of using the spells Grease and Sleet Storm to make it impossible to go up ramps and knock people down in my own party. For some reason Broken Robot the Warforged sorcerer using Grease all the time wasn't a popular guy...

Also exciting is the rogue with 1 rank of Disable Devices. You will fail to disarm pretty much every trap ever and blow up the trap box, preventing anyone from disarming the trap permanantly. But that's okay because everyone who matters in your party (you) has Evasion and high reflex saves so traps aren't as much of a problem. Shame about that cleric tooling around in the heavy platemail though.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
I've also started playing again in the last month and have guys all over the heroic level range so i'm down for grouping pretty much whenever :v:.

Edit: I'm also seriously considering doing a completionist run + useful lives on 3 characters (Ranged, Melee and Caster) so that I don't have to play just one guy. This is a pretty bad idea, tell me just how bad.

Captain Farce fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
This is a pretty bad idea.

Reason being is that for one it takes loving forever to get completionist on a single character, and once you do, you will probably want to just stick with that one since you're going to have a load of other benefits from all your other past lives. Additionally, a lot of useful loot is not transferable between characters. So unless you feel like getting raid loot and whatnot on multiple characters, I would avoid it like the plague. And besides, there's really no reason you can't just up and decide on your completionist character that you're tired of being a wizard and instead would rather hit things with swords. When that happens, you can just reincarnate into a different class, which is what a lot of people do.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If you're set on doing multiple completionists the best way to do it is by boxing two other accounts. So make a sorc and carry two barb soul stones one life, turn one of those barbs into a sorc and carry a barb and a rogue soul stone the next, etc. etc.

That way you'll blitz 10 PL as a sorc or wiz(the caster completionist will stack 3x wiz and sorc right?) and for the rest you could do a 10 sorc/10 class you want the PL of for the first half and then swap and play a divine for the rest of the way to cap.

The problem is though there are multiple cool casters, druids are legit and fun, wizards are ok, sorcs tear it up and FvSs are also very solid and different again. Bards might also be viable as casters now too. There's also two good ranged options, monk archers are still great and throwing builds are also really strong. For melee there has always has been a ton of viable options and there still is, so even with 3 completionists there will be builds you'll fell you're missing out by not playing.

IMO if you want a lot of end game alts just farm the useful PLs for that particular play-style and ignore completionist for now. Epic completionist is fine to go for though as you can still enter every quest on elite as a level 20 from what I can tell(soloed HH on norm at level 20 last life), so no real point in staying capped.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
I was definitely expecting it to take a really long time but I won't be soloing it so I don't really care how long it takes. I'm also not particularly interested in raiding so raid loot wasn't one of my considerations.

Really I just want to be able to flip between playstyles when I feel like doing something else.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
I used raid loot as an example since it's kind of iconic and what people think about, but most of the loot I actually use just comes from normal quests and also cannot be traded between characters. This is kind of more what I was talking about when I meant that it would be annoying to try to get good gear for multiple characters. You basically get to choose between collecting all the cool loot in the game on one character so you can use it on whatever life you decide on next, or fishing for specific drops on multiple characters. Both have their ups and downs.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Haggis has like 8 different characters that he swaps between playing when he is actually active, and he always seems happy as a clam when he is playing. I do think it would be counter productive to try to race multiple characters to completionist though, as you will loose out on any sense of progress by splitting up the already long grind. Basically, just play whatever you want when you want.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'm almost out of space for loot on my main, so caster lives will be very painful when I get to them. Once you've been playing for a while and do some raiding inventory management becomes hell, I wish I still had some viable alts but I almost stopped playing them when MotU dropped(gently caress farming a million EDs) and haven't played one at all pretty much since epic TRing became a thing.

So one dude on 30th(?) life, one 26th level on 4th, one halfway through third and a first lifer at 25. They just get further and further behind while each update usually gives a lot more to do.

Also, tomes are on sale for 20% off if anyone is interested. No +6s at all in the store though. Tempted to get the two missing +5s I need and then grabbing a +6 upgrade when they come back, but that'll be 2.5k TP all up and I don't really see the need for them really.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Oh my god I resubbed and patched up and I can't believe the new talent trees.

I'm honestly, actually happy to be able to shelve my stupid rogue 2/fighter whatever because it's actually almost viable to be a dex rogue instead of the incredible shitshow it was before.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Be a Rogue/Bard and enjoy swashbuckler being the best kind of rogue.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
I'm actually currently playing a 4 Rogue/16 Bard with 8 strength and 20 dexterity starting out and it's pretty fun so far. My reflex save is comically absurd and with this class combination, you can get dexterity to hit and damage with daggers and short swords, so it actually works pretty well. It might be slightly better mechanically speaking to do something along the lines of adding some fighter levels and going with a strength based build so you can grab all the cleaves and overwhelming critical at epic levels, but I'm not even sure that would be that much better. And this is more fun, so you can totally make a viable dexterity based melee dude now if you want!

Oh also, overwhelming critical won't require any prerequisites or stats in a patch or two, so there's that.

Kawaii Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
Might do 16 bard/3 rogue/1 fvs next I think, just found out my shinning crescents works with SWF. So 15-20 x3 if it works with swashbuckling with 2x and 1.5x str mod to damage, 20% grazes, 30% attack speed and rogue quick strikes on top of that.

• Locked thread