Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Stan Taylor posted:

I really want a gimmicky local multiplayer minigame collection. Should I go for Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U?

Sportsfeiends isn't coming out on this thing is it?
Nintendoland has asymmetrical hide and seek, ghost game, candy cop games and co-op Zelda/Metroid games. Game and Wario has one asymmetrical game where gamepad player steals fruit while everyone watches on tv trying to figure out which character is guilty(islands is a good darts like launching game where the gamepad is passed to next player but it isn't asymmetrical). Wii Party U has a few asymmetrical games(set traps on gamepad that others have to avoid, knock people off platform while they run around, tilt gamepad to make spiked ball crush other players) but there are like 5-6 regular games that can be fun depending on the crowd(pass the bomb before it explodes, jenga with laser guns, musical chairs, ninjas jump across water).

All of them are cheap enough that you could get good value out of them but if you only get one check out videos on youtube to see which game you/your friends would like most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
So, I may need to replay a few of them, but Skyward Sword may be my favorite 3D Zelda. Loved pretty much everything about that game.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there any particular reason to get Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii-u as opposed to any other system?

There's no reason to get the game at all really.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crawfish posted:

So Japan is getting the Mercedes DLC on the 27th of this month. It apparently gives 3 new cars instead of just the one we knew about.

Nintendo seem to be using this to also push out an update that does a bunch of nice things. It sounds like they plan to put the map on screen now, change the default option at the end of a GP race to next race instead of the watch replay it currently defaults to and add a records page that lists your total coin count and online W/L record, among other things.

No date yet for the rest of the world, but I assume we'll know before long.

Those retro Mercedes cars are pretty rad.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

O__O posted:

There's no reason to get the game at all really.

Its fine. If you like 2 then you will like Razor's Edge.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sulphix posted:

So, I may need to replay a few of them, but Skyward Sword may be my favorite 3D Zelda. Loved pretty much everything about that game.

Well, just be glad you're here at Something Awful, where people can handle that sort of opinion. :allears:

I actually really enjoyed Skyward Sword a lot. It did a number of things really right, and while there are some distinct differences from other Zelda games that I can understand people not enjoying, a lot of them play into my sensibilities (surface areas play out like large-scale dungeons, dungeons items see frequent and consistent use, dungeons have considerably more melodic background music, excellent shortcutting, sprint/parkour increases platforming emphasis). There are definitely problems though, and I think the game is at its best on a replay (as you won't have to dowse for anything) with some cheats to get rid of some of the unnecessary garbage.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Random Stranger posted:

The feel of the older games intact? I think you mean stripped down, broken, barren, and made unfun, combined with terrible controls and a camera that made me want to shoot myself. It's my least favorite of all the Nintendo designed Zelda games

Settle down, Bevis.

Also I never got past the end of the first dungeon in Skyward Sword. I thought it controlled really awfully and combined with the fact that every enemy needed to be killed with these ultra-specific, "pull off once every four times minimum" sword swings really just made me put the game down after the first boss.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stan Taylor posted:

I really want a gimmicky local multiplayer minigame collection. Should I go for Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U?

Sportsfeiends isn't coming out on this thing is it?

Nintendo Land.

The three antagonistic (? what's the opposite of co-op) multiplayer games just need plain old Wiimotes. One of the three co-op multiplayer games needs Wiimote+s, and another co-op needs nunchucks too.

You can convincingly get six people playing at once, on one TV, with four plain Wiimotes. (The Animal Crossing one, with two people sharing the GamePad. Totally works.)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably throw Nintendoland in my next amazon order. $23 seems pretty good to me.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ultigonio posted:

Well, just be glad you're here at Something Awful, where people can handle that sort of opinion. :allears:

Uh, really? Hell, everytime you mention Other M in a thread the next 5 pages are a derail where everyone agrees that Other M was the worst thing since the Holocaust, even if the original mention was that they hated it.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Stan Taylor posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably throw Nintendoland in my next amazon order. $23 seems pretty good to me.
If there's a Best Buy near by you might want to check there, you can get Nintendoland and a Luigi wiimote for $30(in store only, online they charge more).

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Raserys posted:

Uh, really? Hell, everytime you mention Other M in a thread the next 5 pages are a derail where everyone agrees that Other M was the worst thing since the Holocaust, even if the original mention was that they hated it.
Well, to be fair (and to make your post unintentionally prophetic too :v:), Other M WAS a particularly, uncharacteristically insidious piece of character assassination that stands as an example of how to (hopefully not) destroy a franchise.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm with Ultigonio when it comes to OoT, and I'm 10 years older than him and bought the game, gold cartridge and all, when it released. All of his criticisms stand up, and it's refreshing to hear it from a perspective that didn't experience it first hand when it released. It makes me feel very old, but he's still right. I still haven't gotten through an entire Zelda game despite playing everything up until the Wii. It just may not be the type of game for me.

I am playing Wind Waker HD right now, but I just beat the second pearl temple (the deku tree one) and as I was traveling to the next temple, I came across the 30 minute, 8 different trees that you need to water and I got videogame PTSD where I just didn't want to do anymore of those stress-inducing collectathons, and I haven't turned it back on since. If it was just dungeons and progression like that, I would have no problem, but I just don't have it in me anymore to scour a world for 40-50 heart pieces to finish a game comfortably.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wind Waker is the easiest Zelda game, you can comfortably beat it with just the main quest heart containers. The deku seed quest is also a lot easier once you get the teleport song, as well as benefiting from being able to mark locations on the map.

It's also top 3 in my list so don't get discouraged, keep going and check out the sweet set pieces and last boss.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I used to be an ocd 100%er, I freaking got 200% or whatever in DK 64. But now I don't have time for that poo poo. The secret to enjoying videogames is to just do the stuff that's fun. If you want to explore, explore. If you want to do a sidequest, do it. But don't power through some task you hate just to tick off an arbitrary checkbox. Especially in a game like Zelda, the heart pieces are just bait to get you to do random stuff, you can skip any of them if the stuff they want you to do is boring.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 6, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wind Waker is the easiest Zelda game, you can comfortably beat it with just the main quest heart containers. The deku seed quest is also a lot easier once you get the teleport song, as well as benefiting from being able to mark locations on the map.

It's also top 3 in my list so don't get discouraged, keep going and check out the sweet set pieces and last boss.

The deku seed quest was also made even easier, now the magic water lasts 30 minutes instead of 20.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks, I'm going to take that as encouragement. I think that's what I needed. I just found the first deku seed, then a second one that was pretty far away and I thought to myself, "gently caress, there's 6 more?!?" and just thinking about it was tedious enough to make me put the game down.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wait wait, whoa, hold on, you can put marks on the map? How? Is that new to the Wii U version?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Raserys posted:

I was being sarcastic, you dork.

Fremry posted:

Thanks, I'm going to take that as encouragement. I think that's what I needed. I just found the first deku seed, then a second one that was pretty far away and I thought to myself, "gently caress, there's 6 more?!?" and just thinking about it was tedious enough to make me put the game down.
Yeah, I was pretty uncomfortable with that quest when it first popped up, but it turned out to be pretty easy. I feel like the original game - with the 20-minute time limit and no swift sail - would have stressed me out a lot more, though the thought of "this task is so tedious it needs a 30-minute timer" isn't exactly the best.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Wait wait, whoa, hold on, you can put marks on the map? How? Is that new to the Wii U version?

I am probably confusing the features of Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks as I have been playing both fairly recently, apologies if I am wrong.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

On the Zelda front, the newest game always feels like objectively the better game to me.

It seems like the hate of certain games usually depends on how old they where when they played it or that they dislike a pretty specific thing in the game.

Realistically they are all great games, with essentially the same gameplay.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Not only did I love Skyward Sword when I played it at the ripe old age of 23, I know I would have also loved it as a kid because I would've gotten to swing a sword in my living room, meet a bunch of cool robots, ride a giant bird through the sky, and explore a time travelling shipwreck.

What I'm saying is while I don't know if kids are still playing Zelda games, they drat well better be. :colbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Long John Power posted:

with essentially the same gameplay.
This is almost certainly not true, considering how hotly debated the quality of the series is by fans.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Long John Power posted:

On the Zelda front, the newest game always feels like objectively the better game to me.

It seems like the hate of certain games usually depends on how old they where when they played it or that they dislike a pretty specific thing in the game.

Realistically they are all great games, with essentially the same gameplay.

same elements =! same game play :sotw:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Things I really like about Skyward Sword:

Sprinting system.
The item equip/switching system.
The dungeon design is top notch
Art direction
Silent Realm
Item Crafting
Sand ocean

Things I hated:
Fi warnings
Constant Fi hints
Handholding camera work pointing you exactly where to go and what path to take
Divining
The controls(I had no problem using them, they were just tedious. Sword controls fine. Aiming fine. But motion control doesn't need to be shoehorned into absolutely every action)
Shield breaking mechanic
Silent Realm(there were too many of them)
Backtracking
Fetch quests
Backtracking fetch quests
The Harp(honestly, enough with the music instruments mechanics. I don't want to do something interactive to control an instrument unless the effects are going to be something interesting dynamic depending on how it's being played. If it is multiple songs each with an individual effect just make it a drat item switch like in Awakening)
Item explanations every time you restart the game. The flavor text of the item isn't even important whatsoever. I just need x of these and y of the other one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I loved Shield Breaking and I hope it returns. The shield has always been such a crazy boring item and giving it a drawback and a skill mechanic made it way more interesting.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Constant Fi hints

If by "hints" you mean "explanations of things you already know," then yes, she does give a lot of those. I don't think she ever spoils a puzzle for you, though, except possibly once.

I also don't really know how four silent realms was too many for you, since they're all very different, but eh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like that they brought back the radial menu for Hyrule Warriors, not that I'll ever play it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only thing I didn't like about Fi was that she didn't help me the one time in the whole game I was super stuck and needed help.

JUST SAY "YOU CAN GET FRUIT STUCK ON YOUR SWORD BY STABBING IT" THAT'S ALL I NEEDED

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If we're doing this...

I'm not fond of the 3D Zeldas because I don't like having the camera behind me. Zelda is a series that I can only really enjoy top-down. I don't think it's a matter of "you only like what it is you played when you were a kid" because I first played LTTP a few years ago and thought it was heads and shoulders above the 3D Zelda games, and The Binding of Isaac, which is basically an old-school Zelda game with a different skin, is one of my favorite games of recent years. I just never really felt comfortable with polygonal graphics and a camera that follows you around and always find myself missing top-down view when I play a 3D Zelda.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I wish the would bring the ds zelda(s?) to some sort of wii u virtual console because frankly, I'm never going to buy a mobile again unless I strike gold in my yard.. I think a lot of people are also not at all interested in mobile gaming devices anymore... especially with smart phones.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

If we're doing this...

I'm not fond of the 3D Zeldas because I don't like having the camera behind me. Zelda is a series that I can only really enjoy top-down. I don't think it's a matter of "you only like what it is you played when you were a kid" because I first played LTTP a few years ago and thought it was heads and shoulders above the 3D Zelda games, and The Binding of Isaac, which is basically an old-school Zelda game with a different skin, is one of my favorite games of recent years. I just never really felt comfortable with polygonal graphics and a camera that follows you around and always find myself missing top-down view when I play a 3D Zelda.

I had the exact opposite experience when I first played A Link to the Past. Twilight Princess was my first Zelda game that I played all the way through (I had a played a small (really small) bit of Majora's Mask and the original Zelda, but I never owned them before that). After playing that I went back and played OoT and ALttP thanks to the Virtual Console. I enjoyed OoT but found ALttP to be a chore to play. My brother forced me to finish it all the way through because it's his favorite game, but I wouldn't have finished it otherwise. It's not really that I think it was a bad game or anything, it's obviously incredibly well made, but I hated the top-down view and just the way it controlled in general. It's been too long now since I last played so I can't really go into anything specific with my complaints, but it's why I can't get into 2D Zelda games, and why I won't buy A Link Between Worlds despite hearing nothing but good things about it.

That said, I'm not exactly the world's biggest Zelda fan either. I like the 3D games, but I'm not super into them like some people are. I'll take Mario and Kirby over them any day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ethanol posted:

I wish the would bring the ds zelda(s?) to some sort of wii u virtual console because frankly, I'm never going to buy a mobile again unless I strike gold in my yard.. I think a lot of people are also not at all interested in mobile gaming devices anymore... especially with smart phones.

DS games are definitely coming to the Wii U VC, so those Zelda games are definitely gonna show up eventually.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regy Rusty posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Fi was that she didn't help me the one time in the whole game I was super stuck and needed help.

JUST SAY "YOU CAN GET FRUIT STUCK ON YOUR SWORD BY STABBING IT" THAT'S ALL I NEEDED

Oh my god this so much. THIS EXACT THING. I know exactly what you're talking about and it was so loving infuriating. And I liked Skyward Sword. That part was just so goddamn obtuse.

ethanol posted:

That's too bad. The 3DS is a great system, and Link Between Worlds is amazing. I play my 3DS way more than my Wii U most days, but I do love my Wii U. However, I do no own a smart phone, so there's that.

Patter Song posted:

If we're doing this...

I too feel the exact opposite about this. My first Zelda was Ocarina of Time, which I absolutely loved. I'd just never played that kind of game before and it was so amazing. It got me hooked on Zelda games and adventure games in general. I went back and played Link to the Past all the way through before Link Between World was released and it was pretty all right. Not my favorite Zelda by far (that honor belongs to Wind Waker), but I liked it! I would have loved the poo poo out of it if I'd played it as a kid, but alas, I was a dumb kid. I find I really suck at the top-down Zeldas. There's something about the 3D ones that really clicks for me. I can find things easier, I don't get stuck as much in dungeons, and I don't die nearly as much. I still enjoy the top-down ones, but I definitely prefer the 3D ones.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I love all my Zeldas equally.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Panzerschwein posted:

I love all my Zeldas equally.

Even the CD-i ones?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

kalonZombie posted:

Even the CD-i ones?

:negative:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Well at least, regardless of our differences in preference among the Zelda games, 3D or not, we should all be able to agree that to call OoT one of the worst of them is complete and utter bullshit. It's not even my favourite by far (that would be Wind Waker), but we should at least all be able to agree that it's up there. And I even quite liked Skyward Sword, even though I hated Twilight Princess...

EDIT: Also apparently, now that the year of Luigi is over, it's now the the month of Princess Peach.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 7, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I think both types of Zelda games have their merits. While I admittedly haven't played Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess was a great entry in the series whose main flaw was being Nintendo's reaction to the negative press Wind Waker got for daring to do something different - the fanbase screamed for something closer to OOT and they certainly delivered on it. It pretty unashamedly rips off OOT's entire game formula while mixing in a bit of LTTP. The waggle controls were pretty obviously tacked on, but ranged weapons that used the cursor were a very welcome addition and their evolution into OOT3D and WWHD's motion controls is one of the best control upgrades the series has gotten.

A Link Between Worlds is excellent - it seems familiar on the surface but once you get into the meat of the game it becomes much more than a retread of LTTP. I was fully expecting to see maps lifted wholesale from LTTP but was surprised to see that aside from some overworld/dungeon locations they moved drat near everything around and didn't re-use any of the dungeon layouts. They even got rid of the usual "retrieve this dungeon's item and use it to finish the dungeon/beat the boss" formula in favor of a money sink, and stuck 100-300 rupee chests in hard-to-reach places in every dungeon to facilitate buying your weapons. Hell, they even include things similar to the first game, build your expectations up, then swerve you. Perfect example: In the Thieve's Hideout in The Dark World Lorule, the girl you lead around the dungeon is suspiciously similar to the one in LTTP that turns into the boss. but when you enter the boss's room she gets locked out and the boss from the first game shows up anyway. (Despite being the same character, the fight isn't a retread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

kalonZombie posted:

Even the CD-i ones?

"equally" doesn't have to be in a positive way

• Locked thread