Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Actually I think in this case it's the Coalition wanting to dodge very real and accurate accusations that they may be encouraging/forcing women into sex work because of their changes.

Come now, it's not like women on the margins will have to do that the rest of their life. Only until there is a change in government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

https://twitter.com/Kate_McClymont

Kate McClymont @Kate_McClymont · 10m

Cornwell said he didn't talk in the Bentley for long because he had a dog on the operating table under anaesthetic & had to get back #icac

Kate McClymont @Kate_McClymont · 28s

You really can't make this up. Candidate Cornwell re-gifts crap piece of art 2 property developer, who pays him $10k, which he keeps! Icac

xutech fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 7, 2014

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

There's at least three non-lovely people who live in Caulfield!

Also, speaking of banks and investments, what does the Auspol hivemind think of Australian Ethical as a managed fund?

As per what was said before, relatively high cost and you should look at the possible ethical option in your current super. Also if you happen to be with UniSuper it is a really fantastic fund and I am kicking myself for rolling out of it a few years ago.

<- worked for both a retail and an industry fund.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Josie posted:

As per what was said before, relatively high cost and you should look at the possible ethical option in your current super. Also if you happen to be with UniSuper it is a really fantastic fund and I am kicking myself for rolling out of it a few years ago.

<- worked for both a retail and an industry fund.

I'm in UniSuper. I'm mostly thinking for my parents, who are looking at doing an investment fund for a few years as a way of saving up for a place in a new suburb.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Yeah, Unisuper is great and their socially responsible options routinely outperform their normal ones.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-wub metadata wubwubwub wubaddress

https://soundcloud.com/something-wonky/george-brandis-dubstep

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Who was it that asked for meta-data to be stored in paper format? I read it a few days ago but didnt save it!

Well you should have printed it out then :colbert:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm in UniSuper. I'm mostly thinking for my parents, who are looking at doing an investment fund for a few years as a way of saving up for a place in a new suburb.

Since we're all offering financial advice:

Now that the First Home Saver Accounts are dead, my partner and I are looking for somewhere to put some money to save for a house deposit, where we don't get scrub-tier savings account interest rates.

Should I just set up a managed fund with regular contributions from Australian Ethical? Is there a better place that I could be putting my money so that it isn't going to fund coal mining and has a realistic likelihood of returns greater than the ~3.5% we can get from a savings account or a term deposit?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

loving hell. He really has no idea what the gently caress he is saying.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Sarah Ferguson is leaving 7:30 to work on Uhlmanns rudd/gillard doco.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: apparently because Leigh sales is back from maternity leave

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well someone competent is working on it now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
"@MWhitbourn: Andrew Cornwell asked his mum if the donation was "within the law and within the spirit of the law" and she said yes. #ICAC"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is a kind of boring article but this little tidbit is fun

quote:

Fairfax Media has learned that Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull complained to his ministerial colleagues that the decision taken by the national security committee on metadata was leaked to the media before it was taken to cabinet.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...0807-3d9gd.html

This government is in total shambles. Way worse than the Gillard government ever was.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

Since we're all offering financial advice:

Now that the First Home Saver Accounts are dead, my partner and I are looking for somewhere to put some money to save for a house deposit, where we don't get scrub-tier savings account interest rates.

Should I just set up a managed fund with regular contributions from Australian Ethical? Is there a better place that I could be putting my money so that it isn't going to fund coal mining and has a realistic likelihood of returns greater than the ~3.5% we can get from a savings account or a term deposit?
My partner is a bit hesitant about Australian Ethical managed funds because she doesn't want to pay fees, but I'm not really sure there are too many ethical alternatives that don't. It's a thing we're still trying to work out.

You should be able to do better than 3.5% with a term deposit. I got 7% on mine with Westpac (but I know you'd rather put it somewhere else - so would I at this stage).

You could try an ethical index tracker fund. We have some money in a regular index tracker fund (AFI) but an ethical one might be the way to go next time. I'm not sure if they have any in Australia, but I think there are some overseas.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Sarah Ferguson is leaving 7:30 to work on Uhlmanns rudd/gillard doco.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: apparently because Leigh sales is back from maternity leave

I think Ferguson was better than Sales, but ultimately both are much better than Uhlmann. As long as 7:30 isn't going to him, I can live with it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

"@MWhitbourn: Andrew Cornwell asked his mum if the donation was "within the law and within the spirit of the law" and she said yes. #ICAC"

Is he twelve.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ferguson is the best interviewer on Australian TV since Kerry o'brian(other than Shaun micallef, watching him grill professor Ian orbspider was a rare treat)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

"electronic address of the website"

as opposed to what, numbnuts, the postal address of the website? kill ursefl

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ferguson is the best interviewer on Australian TV since Kerry o'brian(other than Shaun micallef, watching him grill professor Ian orbspider was a rare treat)

Got a link to the Micallef thing?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

He was misquoted, he asked Ian Hismum SC about the legality of the donation

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The point he is attempting to make is that they will know you visited somethingawful.com but not whether you visited the forums or the weekend web(although forums are probably on a different server so they would know you visited the forums but not whether you went to auspol or e/n)

Where it gets even dumber than that is a lot of forums are hosted centrally through third parties that host many things on the same server etc

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

The full thing is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4vAdS4xT4

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The point he is attempting to make is that they will know you visited somethingawful.com but not whether you visited the forums or the weekend web(although forums are probably on a different server so they would know you visited the forums but not whether you went to auspol or e/n)

Where it gets even dumber than that is a lot of forums are hosted centrally through third parties that host many things on the same server etc

Apparently it would record the IP, but not the url.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

That has subsequently lead to this story

quote:

Call for migration rort crackdown as data reveals foreign workers snare net job growth

Date
August 7, 2014 - 10:52AM

10 reading now

Nick McKenzie and Richard Baker

A new report using fresh federal government data has found recent overseas-born arrivals to Australia have "taken almost all of the net job growth" since 2011.

Immigration experts Dr Bob Birrell and Dr Ernest Healy have obtained fresh Australian Bureau of Statistics information showing that 380,000 arrivals to Australia since 2011 had found jobs. But over the same period, net job growth in Australia was only 400,000.

The pair have called for changes to Australia's skilled migrant program in order to provide more opportunities for citizens and permanent residents.

They found that Australia continues to grant skilled migration visas to thousands of foreign cooks and accountants. This is despite an excess of local candidates suitable for those jobs, and government claims the migration program is attracting workers who have skills required by Australia.

Confidential Immigration Department documents obtained by Fairfax Media reveal that many of those foreign workers who have gained permanent residency in Australia through skilled migration programs are likely to have first arrived as students in suspected fraudulent international education schemes operating between 2006 and 2010.

An October 2009 department report made the startling finding that the Department of Immigration and Citizenship "may have been responsible for granting a record number of student visas to people who may not be considered genuine students as well as granting permanent residence to skilled migration applicants who do not have the appropriate skills being claimed.”

Despite recent changes to make it harder to rort the student visa and skilled migration programs, high-level concerns remain about international education providers and visa fraud.

Fairfax Media believes the Immigration Department's education visa consultative committee has recently discussed employer-sponsored migration rorts.

In their report, titled Immigration and Unemployment, Dr Birrell and Dr Healy call for the halting of the recruitment of migrant workers whose occupations are in surplus in Australia or have available resident candidates.

The pair - both from Monash University's Centre for Population and Urban Research - found Australia's job market had been creating only about 100,000 positions per year since the end of the mining boom in mid-2011. But unchanged foreign worker migration policies have led to the current situation where the number of people looking for jobs in Australia far outstrips the amount of positions available.

Immigration Department data used in Dr Birrell and Dr Healy's research shows overseas-born cooks and accountants made up the leading occupations granted visas under the permanent entry skill program in 2012-13.

Almost 8450 cooks, as well as 1022 pastry chefs and bakers, were given visas under the permanent entry skill program in 2012-13. For the same period, cooks also made up the largest occupational group given temporary 457 visas.

This was despite cooking not having been on the federal government's skilled occupation list for more than four years.

Their report also highlighted how Australia granted visas under the permanent resident skilled program and 457 category to nearly 7000 foreign accountants in 2012-13.

This was despite 7200 domestic students completing bachelor or higher degrees in accounting in 2012, and the Commonwealth Department of Employment declaring “a more than adequate supply of accountants”.

Dr Birrell said Australia's immigration program also encouraged rorting of the different visa categories to obtain permanent residency rather than educational outcomes, and the exploitation of foreign workers.

“The whole system needs to be reviewed fundamentally,” he said.

The labour force problems highlighted by Dr Birrell are a hangover from the widespread fraud in the student visa and skilled migration programs that are identified in a series of confidential Immigration Department documents obtained by Fairfax Media.

The documents show how Immigration Department investigators repeatedly highlighted their concerns about student visa and skilled migration visa rorts between 2006 and 2010. But their calls for more enforcement and resources to tackle the problem went unheeded for years.

An October 2009 “in-confidence” Immigration Department report identified “significant concerns” in Victoria's international educational industry and “in particular, related pathways to permanent residence”.

The report warned: “The department's investigators reported that foreign students were paying about $50,000 to achieve permanent residency through a 'significant cottage industry' involving 'migration agents, employers and education providers who are linked to a significant level of organised fraud and crime."'

The former federal Labor government made changes in 2011 to clamp down on the rorting of the student visa program to obtain permanent residency by introducing a new points test for skilled migrants.

But Dr Birrell said the decision to shield the thousands of foreign students already here from the impact of the reforms and to continue to allow them to apply for residency under the old rules has resulted in the “warehousing” of a large number of low-priority applicants.

He said many of these had studied cooking courses and had only begun to be processed by the Immigration Department in 2011-12.

“This is why cooks and accountants have been the major occupations visaed in this and in subsequent years. We know this because the visa-issued data identifies those who were former overseas students,” Dr Birrell said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz39fdHmnjr

STOP THE PLANES

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Someone in UTS's IT building doing interviews about the data retention poo poo.

He's better than Brandis.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Rich white men are PISSED. :allears:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...0807-3d9r3.html

Currently sitting at around ~$45k, apparently. $10k per hour for the first three hours.

e: But let's be honest here, a collective of Australia's richest, most overprivileged white dudes raising $45k in under 24 hours isn't exactly much of an 'achievement'.

e2: As it's been forever since I last made a loving awful joke in this thread, I just realised something.

Yesterday, in Perth, people freed a man caught between a train and a platform. How?

They LIFTED the train by LEANING on it. Take that, Hockeynomics.

:v:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 7, 2014

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

Got a link to the Micallef thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T78N28tYco

It will be good day when Mad as hell is back on the air.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
And the other great thing is that there is a bunch of finger pointing going on among the Liberal ranks

Liberals blame Brandis' bigots comment for race law failure

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz39fkBPe7I

quote:

George Brandis' infamous defence of the rights of bigots has been cited by his own colleagues as the cause of the government's capitulation on changing race-hate laws. Liberals said the Attorney-General's comments in April had torpedoed what was a move to uphold free speech.

Liberal Senator Dean Smith backed the proposed changes but said they had gotten off to a ''bad start''.

''The section 18C debate has been a powerful but salient lesson for the government. The debate demonstrated that sound policy not handled with care and precision early, can be quickly and easily hijacked by critics,'' he said.

NSW Liberal Craig Kelly said the bigot comment had allowed the government's critics to ''twist'', ''hijack'' and turn the debate against the government and it never recovered.
''It's very difficult when someone stands up and talks about giving rights to bigots to [then] explain that.''

He said while the Attorney-General was factually correct, it was a ''legalistic argument rather than a political one''.

He also called for the government to better prepare the electorate on the need for major reforms, including fixing the deficit.

Queensland Liberal National MP George Christensen said the government should have ''stuck to its guns on such a fundamental issue''.

''The debate got sidetracked [by the bigot comment] and could have been handled better … it moved away from free speech and ended up being about the government wants to give racists the rights to say.''

Liberal Senator Zed Seselja said although he had concerns about the proposed bill, he did not think it should have had to be junked altogether.

''I supported the principle of the policy and I would have liked to have seen us improve it rather than dump it but I accept that was the political reality,'' he said.

But Victorian Liberal MP Jason Wood defended Senator Brandis and said he held him in ''very high regard''.

Senator Brandis said he had no regrets. ''It's the obligation of politicians to speak the truth and to sometimes speak the truth brutally. I'm not the sort of politician who is the creature of spin doctors and who talks in talking points or mantras, what I said was correct.''

The fact that there are names attached to all the quotes is also telling

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The right to be bigots speech really was a hilariously spectacular rhetorical blunder.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

That has subsequently lead to this story

STOP THE PLANES
When I saw the SMH today I was initially happy that finally we might step back from BOATS! but I quickly realised this was just going to increase the racist poo poo fighting.

Remember how NTATA is all about jobs and fixing things so there'd be more jobs and dirty dole bludgers need to be getting one our newly minted jobs!

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

Unemployment 12 year high.

Thanks NTATA you loving cretin.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hah if The Age / IPA are to be believed is there going to be a massive split should the budget crumble even further?

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Who was it that asked for meta-data to be stored in paper format? I read it a few days ago but didnt save it!

Ian MacDonald I believe.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

deathofmusic posted:

Ian MacDonald I believe.

The Minister for Miners?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SynthOrange posted:

Ian McDonald, Senator for Xstrata.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

deathofmusic posted:

Ian MacDonald I believe.

I couldn't find him saying anything regarding printing metadata out but I found this one:

Ian MacDonald posted:

Liberal Senator Ian Macdonald told the executives providing evidence at the committee that he often didn't understand what they were talking about.

"When I log on to my cloud, I don't quite know what it means, but I thought it was something in heaven," he said.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
George Brandis knows he is right. He is right, and the fault lies with those who cannot grasp the fundamental issue of free speech at the same level as he and his mighty intellect can.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

My partner is a bit hesitant about Australian Ethical managed funds because she doesn't want to pay fees, but I'm not really sure there are too many ethical alternatives that don't. It's a thing we're still trying to work out.

You should be able to do better than 3.5% with a term deposit. I got 7% on mine with Westpac (but I know you'd rather put it somewhere else - so would I at this stage).

You could try an ethical index tracker fund. We have some money in a regular index tracker fund (AFI) but an ethical one might be the way to go next time. I'm not sure if they have any in Australia, but I think there are some overseas.

Yeah the other thing I was thinking of was an ethical index fund, but everything I've found apart from AE so far have lovely screening processes, which let a whole bunch of nasty stuff companies through, with the word "ethical" slapped on the front to make people feel a bit better about themselves. I think an actively managed fund is going to be the only way to get my money going into the companies that I want it to.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Mighty intellect is funny as poo poo in light of recent events.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

More than likely, it'll store protocol headers but not content. ie. it will store all of these things for web requests:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_header_fields#Request_Headers

This means they'll be able to see which pages you've visited and generally what you've done (ie. they know you've made a post on somethingawful because headers[location] is 'http://forums.somethingawful.com/postreply.php?9857239875239857623', but not what the post contains. Likewise, they'll know you downloaded a torrent file from http://sometorrentsitehere.com/gettorrent.php?id=495872598 and can find out which one it is. Also referers etc. And that's only for HTTP requests, the vast majority of useful and interesting data about peoples' browsing habits is in the metadata.

e; when did Latika Bourke leave the ABC? She has Age articles now?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

Mighty intellect is funny as poo poo in light of recent events.

I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing Brandis, a man who has made no attempt to hide the esteem in which he holds his own intelligence, be constantly made to look a blundering fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing Brandis, a man who has made no attempt to hide the esteem in which he holds his own intelligence, be constantly made to look a blundering fool.

I didn't know he considered himself to be intelligent. Every time I hear him speak he sounds like nothing more than a moderately articulate lawyer suffering from late-stage vampirism. His brainless stammering in that Sky News interview was not the performance of a man of any real intelligence or insight.

• Locked thread