Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

dexefiend posted:

Saladin has Strategos, which fucks with deployment after he hits the board.

Eh? Did they change this? All Strategos 3 used to do was give you an extra reserve, deny your opponents, and let his Lt order be passed around, doesn't really do anything too big if everyone is hidden anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I love those new Ghulam infantry. Makes me want to get them and proxy them as Briscards. Unfortunately, only 2 body types? That's a bit sad.

Edit: Brutalist architecture - I think it should be easy enough to replicate some of the designs. I was thinking of cutting down some coffee stirrers and gluing them together length-ways, one section wide, one thin, so you get an alternating pattern across them that when molded can be easily cast to make sections I can stick to the side of a building easily. Should help cover up any construction screwups. Other idea is to use plastruct 'I' beams and make a mold of sections which are the right thickness to slot into them and use them to make wall sections. Also, T-Walls that are used to make defensive walls are definitely something I will mold up and make.

I keep meaning to buy more miniatures, but I keep buying molds to make terrain...

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 5, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm annoyed that the two female heads look almost identical. Really takes away from the effect. Not sure if I'll get the box, to be honest, since I have a bunch of Ghulams that I could still convert with spec ops weapon sprues.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Do what I will be doing with some of the figures I want to look unique, use these heads on them (female only).

I do think it would have been nicer if they had of given differing bodies. Also, Corvus Belli really does need to release an accessory sprue of weapons for their ranges. It doesn't matter so much to me (Statuesque also has a line of great looking weapons I will be using for mine as all of Ariadna seems to be toting around anti-aircraft guns instead of rifles), but it would be nice for those who do wish to give their miniatures a cool look without resorting to cutting up their nice figures.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Thanks, that's actually a really good idea. I still need to learn how to not be bad with the Sepulchre (maybe I should have him pretend to be a sniper or Magister instead of using the holograms). I'll try picking up the Indigo and spitfire sergeant models when I have a chance.

I like using Holoechoes to sucker opponents into reacting to the first short skill of an order, then following it up with the real knight moving into position. At the very least, they take some heat off the Sepulchre knight for an order or two and let him use that wicked BS14 spitfire. Consider using the Teuton as your Lt and deploying the Sepulchre knight as a decoy Teuton too; 2 SWC and 58 points is a big chunk to try to hide in a corner IMO and he can fight better than any other piece you've got so far.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Er how does that order of events work out? Strategos prevents you from deploying anything in reserve during deployment. You could still deploy in hidden deployment with every model and just automatically be in retreat and loss of LT each turn...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Zu Yong is quite cool, but a single model for a unit that will be the core of the new sectorial? I guess there'll be 3 more options in the starter box.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sephyr posted:

The Zu Yong is quite cool, but a single model for a unit that will be the core of the new sectorial? I guess there'll be 3 more options in the starter box.

Yeah, that guy's got the HMG so I assume there'll be combi rifle or spitfire or whatever in the starter.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The HMQ Ghulam looks manly as gently caress, what an awesome box.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Where's the best place to order Operation Icestorm if I'm in the US? Trying to give Infinity another go, after failing an intro game with friends first time around

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Where's the best place to order Operation Icestorm if I'm in the US? Trying to give Infinity another go, after failing an intro game with friends first time around

If you're ordering online, probably thewarstore or miniaturemarket

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
That new Antipode assault pack is just what I have been waiting for because who needs money anyway...
1 x Ariadna Veteran Kazak (HMG)
1 x Ariadna Captain Roger van Zant
1 x Ariadna Irmandinhos (R, CR)
1 x Ariadna 1er Régiment de Para-Commando (HMG)
1 x Ariadna 1st Highlanders SAS (BS)
1 x Ariadna Caledonian Volunteers (R, CR)
1 x Ariadna 4éme de Chasseur (AL)
1 x Ariadna Highlander Cateran (T2 SR)
1 x Ariadna Intel Spec-Op (APSR, CR, HMG)
1 x Ariadna Spetsnaz (Sniper Rifle)
1 x (Pre-Aug) Ariadna Antipode Assault Pack

I also decided to pick up some of the stuff I had been proxying instead of actually owning. Does anyone have a neat system for keeping track of camo markers? I feel like I am going to accidentally forgot/cheat model and mine placement

Was thinking of adding the Foxtrot Ranger model Holy poo poo the sniper version is terrible

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 6, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Aix Athanatos posted:

I like using Holoechoes to sucker opponents into reacting to the first short skill of an order, then following it up with the real knight moving into position. At the very least, they take some heat off the Sepulchre knight for an order or two and let him use that wicked BS14 spitfire. Consider using the Teuton as your Lt and deploying the Sepulchre knight as a decoy Teuton too; 2 SWC and 58 points is a big chunk to try to hide in a corner IMO and he can fight better than any other piece you've got so far.

Sounds like a plan! Even Teutons are pricey though, so I have to save it for 300pts. What's the deal with Indigo Spec ops? I'm being told that they're legit 13pt models that get a 'free' 12xp to spend on rules and gear. So the 12xp isn't added on as points at all, is that right? Because that'd mean I can have a Multi sniper with Mimetism and BS13 for 13pts, which seems ludicrously cheap.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Infinity Markers

You can buy ones that are clear with a number on them, or in a variety of other different styles. I myself prefer to go cheap and buy a "Happy Birthday" chocolate mold like this and cast it up a bunch of times. Then choose whichever is appropriate and stick it to a 25mm base and decorate accordingly. For a base I use the very thin green 25mm bases from Renedra, but some 1-2mm MDF ones would do just as well.

With this one chocolate mold you can do the following (which is pretty much nearly all the different markers)-

Use the numbers from 1 to whatever as camo tokens, suitably painted up. Uppercase 'T' and numbers could be used to represent TO camo markers.
Also use the numbers to make order tokens, painted in different squad colours, and ones with an 'I' for Irregular orders, and the same just painted up differently for Impetuous orders. For the Lt one perhaps make a set with the small round button perhaps painted with different markings next to them to show it's a Lt. order.
'I' for Infected models, painted differently for an Immobilised marker. 'I' with small round button painted as a smiley face button next to it to show an impersonation token, 'I' with a '+' next to it for Inactive Symbiont perhaps?
'P' for Prone models.
The '+' for Wound markers, painted up as red crosses on white backgrounds, blue on white if you're doing Casevac, yellow on black for Unconscious markers.
For the hearts use them as Posessed markers. Break them in half as a broken heart perhaps to make Crash Coffin markers?
'R' to use as Repeater markers or Security Remotes.
Use the '*' as mine markers (painted to be whichever type) or as an E/Mauler or Nullifier, just painted differently.
'&' as Objective Markers, purely because it's one of the few token types we have left.
'B' for Burnt Markers or as a Tracking Beacon.
'A' for Active Proxy, Transmission Antenna, Alien Tech or Alien Console markers.
'H' for Haris, Holoecho and Hostile markers, painted accordingly.
'D' for Disabled or Decontaminated.
The small round buttons can be kept by themselves and painted to denote a Link Team leader. Can also be painted with a circle crossed out as an Unloaded marker.
'T' for a Tracking Beacon, Tech Coffin or Tech Console marker.
'Y' for Seed Embryo or Spawn Embryo (I'm reaching I know, but you gotta get as much use as possible from this one mold!).

Any number of other chocolate molds can be used to make other markers or terrain. But this one mold pretty much covers the complete range of markers you'd need to make for the game (from what I have seen available for sale online elsewhere).

Just a note on casting them up - This mold can trap air bubbles in it, so to get good casts once you've poured in the material, bang your hand on the table next to it, or if you're really fancy make a vibrating table or pressure pot setup.

Cheap, easy, quick to make, and cost effective!

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 6, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I just ordered a load of little wooden discs:

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/bases/

and then glued printed-out infinity markers, or cut outs from the quick start rulebooks, onto them using a paste stick. Really looks exactly the same as the bought markers, especially if you use a quality printer, perfectly hard wearing, and doesn't cost 60p a time or whatever it is.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I've planned on doing what Indolent Bastard did and posted about in the terrain thread.

Here are the results

And here is how it was done

I've grabbed the images of the tokens from the MAS website, made them transparent where necessary and set the appropriate dimensions. Here they are on my GDrive if anyone else wants to make use of them. The resolution is decent enough to print at 162dpi. There are some higher (and also lower) resolution images on the Infinity website, but I thought these were good enough.

I can get 100 clear acrylic tokens for :10bux: and my colour laser printer seems to produce decent enough prints. Just another cheap option worth having available.

Edit: If this is a bit much effort or the acrylic discs are difficult or too pricey to obtain, there are always the epoxy circle stickers. You can even stick one on either side to make them easier to pick up, they're cheap enough, or you you can just seal the other side as per the guide above.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 6, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I have a question, I noticed on the actual Infinity website, it seems you can pre-order a "GenCon Pack" of the new starter set, with two additional units added in to preordering it normal. Is there a way to actually order that, or is it only available at GenCon or to people in countries that are allowed to order directly off of Corvis Belli's website?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I have a question, I noticed on the actual Infinity website, it seems you can pre-order a "GenCon Pack" of the new starter set, with two additional units added in to preordering it normal. Is there a way to actually order that, or is it only available at GenCon or to people in countries that are allowed to order directly off of Corvis Belli's website?
It can be ordered from CB's webstore. Are you not allowed to do that for some reason?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Danoss posted:

I've planned on doing what Indolent Bastard did and posted about in the terrain thread.

Here are the results

I've grabbed the images of the tokens from the MAS website, made them transparent where necessary and set the appropriate dimensions. Here they are on my GDrive if anyone else wants to make use of them. The resolution is decent enough to print at 162dpi. There are some higher (and also lower) resolution images on the Infinity website, but I thought these were good enough.

I can get 100 clear acrylic tokens for :10bux: and my colour laser printer seems to produce decent enough prints. Just another cheap option worth having available.

Edit: If this is a bit much effort or the acrylic discs are difficult or too pricey to obtain, there are always the epoxy circle stickers. You can even stick one on either side to make them easier to pick up, they're cheap enough, or you you can just seal the other side as per the guide above.

Where are you getting 100 clear acyrlic tokens for $10?

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Deviant posted:

Read his second link yo.

Got another game as the Morats in last night, ran the ITS Supplies mission. Finished the game with two crates to my opponents zero. The guy I ran against plays Nomads usually and loves running at least 3 camo tokens per game along with at least two sin eaters and a few ODD ladies so I usually bring a Yaogat link team as a core but I ran this instead last night.

MORAT AGGRESSION FORCE
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 0 2

KORNAK Lieutenant Mk12, Light Flamethrower / Pistol, DA CCW. (43)
ANYAT K1 Combi Rifle, Chain-colt, Smoke Grenades, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (25)
MORAT HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 25)
MORAT Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 32)
MORAT Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 28)
MORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (19)
MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (23)
SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (3)
SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (3)
DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)
DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)
SOGARAT Feuerbach / Assault Pistol, AP CCW. (1.5 | 70)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open with Army 4

Ran the Vanguard link team a few games now and have yet to have a chance to kill something with the burst 2 missile launcher but the HMG and Anyat always get lots of work done. I really want to try the Oznat and Preta link team next week, anybody have any sugestions for a 300 point ITS Morat list?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Danoss posted:

Here are the results

Holy poo poo, those are some pretty well done markers.

Comrade Merf, an infinity opponent of mine has similar ideas to yours re: Morats. He says the linked vanguard hmg is pound for pound the best model he has. Another good list building thing he does is to include a 2nd combat group of 1 oznat and 4 hungries, it works really well to put pressure on his opponent. For me the one thing I'd like changed about Morats is a buff to HI (which hopefully we will see with a points break in the new edition) - Suryats and Sogarats are overwhelmingly cool and I would love to face them more often. Not just because I have hackers, I swear.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Deviant posted:

Back2Basix sells them in lots of 100 on eBay in varying sizes. The 25mm ones are here.

Not sure what the overseas postage on those are like or how much of an annoyance the 0.4mm difference from an inch those are. Nice for some hobby-related things to be good value in Australia on occasion though.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Any news on when the new edition will be coming?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This year sometime, nothing more specific. Not by Gencon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Next releases, fully photographs.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
All these new releases are getting me really pumped up for whatever new sectoral the Combined are getting. Hoping for an EI one with more Sepsitored troops/Batroids. I was honestly planning on splitting the operation IceStorm box with someone and painting up whatever side the other guy did not want as Sepsitored dudes.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Thamyris looks stylish as hell, I am definitely picking him up.

I also really like how no-nonsense the Zuyong is, it's the perfect kind of faceless grunt armoured marine dude you'd kill by the dozens in a sci-fi FPS. If I didn't only play JSA I'd grab one too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bob Smith posted:

I also really like how no-nonsense the Zuyong is, it's the perfect kind of faceless grunt armoured marine dude you'd kill by the dozens in a sci-fi FPS. If I didn't only play JSA I'd grab one too.
This is actually one of the things I really like about PanO, almost all their troops have the faceless corporate security look to them and I love it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'd love to get an Aleph sectorial that let me have Tacbot link teams.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hey Danoss that degreaser you linked from Super Cheap never stripped paint FYI. Back to Dettol till I find something else in Australia that works.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

S.J. posted:

I'd love to get an Aleph sectorial that let me have Tacbot link teams.

Is there any rules knot in the Remote rules that would stop them, theoretically, making remotes linkable?

Dakini links would be the most logical line troops for a non-rear end sectorial, unless some other light infantry was added.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What is the trick to using Dakinis? Mine feel so fragile.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

dishwasherlove posted:

Hey Danoss that degreaser you linked from Super Cheap never stripped paint FYI. Back to Dettol till I find something else in Australia that works.

Simple green is at Bunnings if you have one nearby.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Deviant posted:

What is the trick to using Dakinis? Mine feel so fragile.
Stay in cover, stack enough negative modifiers so they don't get hit, co-ordinate order them to minimize ARO. Mimetism on LI is such crazy poo poo.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Stay in cover, stack enough negative modifiers so they don't get hit, co-ordinate order them to minimize ARO. Mimetism on LI is such crazy poo poo.

Word. Mimetism is just as good as ARM 3 in my book (unless you are facing MSV obviously, something which I'm sure ALEPH players hate). Aren't they 6-4 as well? Would be very good if linkable, I have no close buddies who play ALEPH but I would think that the benefits of Dakinis over conventional line infantry are about equal with the disadvantages. How much do they cost?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

13 points for a Combi-rifle. And yeah they're 6-4.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The real cost is that you have to assemble them first.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Sounds like a plan! Even Teutons are pricey though, so I have to save it for 300pts. What's the deal with Indigo Spec ops? I'm being told that they're legit 13pt models that get a 'free' 12xp to spend on rules and gear. So the 12xp isn't added on as points at all, is that right? Because that'd mean I can have a Multi sniper with Mimetism and BS13 for 13pts, which seems ludicrously cheap.

Spec Ops are used as proxies for basic infantry in most cases. The experience system they're used for is only relevant in specific Spec-Ops tournaments or in campaigns. If you're not playing in those tournaments, you want it for the proxy use; mine ends up typically as a Spec Sgt. hacker or similar. Sweet model, solid head and weapon options, tournament-legal proxy model (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

dishwasherlove posted:

I'd been meaning to ask how that went. Sorry to hear it was a waste of money and time. It must've been a bit light on the ingredients needed to do the job.

I'm thinking just mixing up some lye/caustic soda/sodium hydroxide with water would do the trick effectively and cheaply. 500g of the stuff is $5 at Bunnings or your local supermarket. $15 gets you 2kg.

What I've gathered so far seems rather straightforward. Fill a plastic container with cold or lukewarm (not hot) water and slowly add some caustic soda to it, not the other way around (heat, fumes, general badness). Stir it in as you add to the solution. 100-200g/L water seems to be the ratio that's used, though slightly more concentrated mixtures seem okay. Wear protective gloves and goggles at least. Respiratory protection would be a good idea. Keep some vinegar nearby in case of an accident as it will neutralise the caustic soda. Keep a lid on the solution it's not being accessed.

Due to the heat generated by the reaction of adding the soda to water, if any parts are likely to warp due to the heat, just wait until it cools before doing so. Other than that, it seems fine and a pretty cheap and quick way to strip paint.

• Locked thread